140 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trounormandsf.com/
- Phone: 4159750876
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-F 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Cracco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our "Butcher Room" for private events. It holds 14 people seated or 25 for a standing room buffet or cocktail party. Trou Normand is also available for a full buy out. Please contact email@example.com for any inquiries. Soon our patio will be available for private events as well which will seat up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Nelson 4159750876
A word from Trou Normand
Named for the northern French tradition of a shot of brandy between courses, this second location, from the owners of James Beard Award winning Bar Agricole, unites the pleasures of traditional mixed drinks and uncomplicated food. The focus of the kitchen is house-made charcuterie and salumi. As many as 40 types of charcuterie are available on the all-day menu. Seasonal sides and simple cuts of meat round out the dinner options. The menu will change throughout the day from breakfast through dinner and late night. The focus of the drink menu is brandy. Many of the Armagnacs, Cognacs and Calvados served at Trou Normand and Bar Agricole are found nowhere else in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trou Normand reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)vibrant bar scene (46)good for groups (40)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (35)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (31)special occasion (18)late-night find (14)notable wine list (12)romantic (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The building that houses this restaurant is beautiful and so it the decor. The staff is friendly and delightful. The food is some of the best I have had in SF!! All charcuterie is house made and is incredible. Top notch experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Pork chop. EVER!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/201417 ounces of pure deliciousness! Cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasis in the middle of downtownfood4toughtDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is very nice and relaxed. The restaurant feels intimate and the bar is the shinning star, but we sat outside at one of the communal tables, since it was a warm summer day. To get to the terrace you have go through the butchery, where they do all the operations, so you really need to like pig in any form and shape and don't mind watching how pork products are prepared ( they are not coming from the plastic wrap). Great charcuterie wooden boards and pickles to share, sandwiches and cocktails. This is a carnivorous dream, not really a vegetarians one, but they had at least one vegetarian sandwich(eggplant) on the menu and it was very good.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedVHung08VIPDined on 8/19/2014Maybe I had high expectations since I've heard they are busy after work and you can only try to walk in, but I thought they would have more options for main dishes and not just a large selection of charcuterie and cheeses. Not very filling for a meal, even with the spiced up sandwiches.
- joycieVIPDined on 8/18/2014very disappointing space is claustrophobic despite high ceilings service poor food just so so drinks were good but no reason to go backSpecial Features:
- nh89Dined on 8/4/2014Love the ambiance and feel of this place. The concrete and brick walls, modern art, high ceilings, candle lit tables. Each and everything we ordered was so tasty, so much flavor in every bite. The service was great, we don't eat pork and they were able to vegetarian-ize the entree options for us. We were celebrating a promotion and our first home together, and even got complimentary bubbly, great experience and will definitely be back soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Vibrant and loud Friday evening in the bar. Very cool intimate space in the bar with old time tufted swanky booths. The charcuterie sampler was outstanding. The salmon meal portions were huge and the seasoning very different and refreshing. The melon cucumber salad was a delightful combination and the tomatoes on the chefs brushetta were so fresh and flavorul. I want to go back and sit in the outside space!Special Features:
- Trou loveNoElevenVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great place and service. Delicious cocktails and food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie321Dined on 7/26/2014The few tables that they had in the restaurant are all shared tables. They do have outdoor sitting, under heated lamps. Loud music and bad acoustics made it hard to have a conversation even with the person sitting next to you. Since I was at one end of the table, I was unable to converse with my other 2 other companions sitting at the further end of the table. Cocktails-good; food-good. The pork chop at $30 came with no accompaniments. You have to order sides separately. And the sides are paltry for what they charge ($8-10). The eggplant side had exactly 4 thin slices of eggplant, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Whats up with this? This place is worth trying once. Will I go back there again? I doubt it.Special Features:
- Service with a smileKakhiDined on 7/25/2014Because of small communal booth, we sat at the bar. An excellent choice because Eric O. waited on us. He was friendly and engaging explaining the origin of the one vodka available and recommended food choices. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Creative and tasty menuluv2dineVIPDined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed both food and drinks. Outside dining is a bit tricky with depending on the cool SF breeze. Service very uneven with understaffing of tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer in SFJackielkVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have to say it was windy and cold and sitting on the metal chairs in a skirt made it very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Difficult as a lunch spotPetunia123VIPDined on 7/18/2014Dinner? Great menu. Lunch? Meat options only. The lunch menu should be expanded to have at least one vegetable side dish. Also, the outdoor dining space is pointless with all the construction - you can't hear anyone talking or even hear yourself think.
- Very, very loudLLdinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was good. Dining experience was over shadowed by uncomfortably high noise level stemming from high ceiling, hard surfaces, loud music, and vibrant bar scene. Conversation was nearly impossible. Our party of three, even though we were sitting near each other in a booth, had to shout and repeat multiple times to be heard. My ears were ringing after dinner as if I attended a loud concert without ear plugs.Special Features:
- Lunch bunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014I took a group of retired teachers. The server was wonderful. Said Certainly to a request for sepRate checks. Expertly answered many questions about the many charcuterie items we weren't familiar with. Cocktails were great. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/20144 of us shared several starters, main dishes and sides and loved every one of them. Small venue, felt like we found a secret gem. Fun night, great meal. Staff was professional and seemed enthusiastic about their venue.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/10/2014Excellent charcuterie. Good cocktail program. Best for quick bite and drink, very busy and shared tables (booths).Special Features:
- odd placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/9/2014unusual menu; too noisy for larger group conversation; strange long booths; no plan to return; get some better art
- Underwhelming and awkwarddwntnrobDined on 7/5/2014Everyone should know that the space is almost entirely composed of communal tables. I was told that only two tables in the entire restaurant are not communial. I made a dinner reservation for 5, hoping this would get us out own table. My party was seated at the large corner booth and about 15 mins later, asked to make room for 4 additional strangers. There simply wasn't enough room for all of us at that table, so I asked the host to move us to the patio, which would have worked out fine, but their electric heat lamps were not working. The chefs selection of charcuterie was boring. The pasta dishes were ok. The pork roast was good, but not worth the price. Everything considered, I probably won't return.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, Excellent ServiceAerialSFDined on 7/3/2014I work nearby and have been several times for lunch. Mostly on lunch dates, once with a large group celebration lunch and once for dinner. The food is delicious. The people that work here are friendly, professional and make the experience relaxed and enjoyable. Very attentive. Trou Normand is a gem in a beautiful building. Great stop for morning coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meatball Sandwich in SFChuckVIPDined on 7/3/2014We started our lunch with the large version of their charcuterie plate. The pates were wonderful, but some of the sliced meats were primarily fat. I'm sure some folks love it, but all I could think of was calories and cholesterol. The meatball sandwich was out of this world. So good, I want to return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Bring on the meat!TTSFVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had a fantastic lunch at Trou Normand! The outdoor patio was warm, spacious, and vibrant with other Friday lunch-ers - a great vibe. The food was delicious... The Charcuterie and Lardo boards were luxurious, and the Broccoli Sandwich should not be overlooked! The one issue was that we tried to use the new Pay with OpenTable feature and the host marked us at the wrong spot so our bill was wrong. And no matter what the staff did they were unable to remedy it. They were super gracious about it and of course we paid easily the old-fashioned way. It would have been super cool to be able to simply click "pay" and leave, since the service got a little slow at the end of the meal... But payments aside, the food was divine! A must try.Special Features:
- Lardo MeltedBarbaraVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent, however, we were seated in the outdoor patio on a very warm day and felt like a bug under a magnifying glass. Even the Lardo melted before our eyes. And, for being outdoors, it was surprisingly loud. I think next time we'll try eating indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and not specialEaterDined on 6/19/2014The noise level was high. We were seated at the corner of a big table, with twenty somethings making cell phone calls at our elbows. The food was plain, overpriced, and not much better than I make at home. A wild happy hour crowd was nearby, and would leave the door open to the outdoor area where they were so we got very cold. Great if you are 22 and want to drink with your mates.Special Features:
- Good for a snack but not dinnerSweetBrieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food: The charcuterie plate was great. Unfortunately, we visited Trou for dinner and the portions of the mains were unexpectedly small, about the same size as sides but double the price. Service: Very slow. We waited a long time to order drinks and it took a long time for each pour to arrive. We caught the attention of the bus boy but he didn't pass along the message that we're ready to order to our waitress. The serving staff do not work well as a team. Ambiance: Cool space. Great for drinks and a small bite. The patio gets a little chilly. The heatlamps are too high up for the heat to radiate down and to sufficiently warm the people below.Special Features:
- Great meal - mixed serviceSFJRMDined on 6/17/2014Overall, we had a great meal and experience at Trou Normand. The food was interesting and excellent. We had a couple of issues with getting drinks but the food service was great. Our wait person was very friendly and informative. We had a variety of dishes and all were delicious. I highly recommend the place and will be going back for another visit soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/14/2014The fresh ham was excellent, the smoked duck salad was meh. Juicy chicken and pork chop! Sausages were dry though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ambiance. salty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/13/2014The food was good quality but so salty it was difficult to finish. Drinks were mediocre.Special Features:
- Good startOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2014I think it's just a matter of getting started... but overall, the food was really good. The charcuterie was probably some of the best I've had. I love that they give you some real bread instead of 3 pieces of toast which never seems enough. The giant pile of aspic seemed a little excessive, but I guess you only need to eat as much as you want. The other dishes were quite good as well. We had some pastas which were well made and well balanced. I'm not sure if it's typical for bar service to be so slow, but it felt like forever. We ordered both mixed drinks and glasses of wine. I can't imagine that pouring a glass of wine takes that long (especially since you can see the bar from where you're sitting).Special Features:
- ConfusedTeleHillFoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2014Unclear what Trou intends to be. The kitchen is great & goes beyond fantastic charcuterie with wonderful starters & mains in ample sizes...but is dominated by the bar scene. It is too loud for wait staff to hear orders. The seating is mainly large banquettes. The 2 of us were seated with another couple in a foursome booth which was OK. It was less OK when 2 other of their friends squeezed in beside us just as our food was being served. None of the staff seemed to care about that. If you are going to drink, you will wait awhile but get a wonderful drink with tasty bites beside it. It you want a good meal, go elsewhere which is what I hope the chef does so his food can be appreciated.Special Features:
- Fun eveningDinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great dinner, fantastic, knowledgeable server. Noise level is quite high, which makes it difficult to have a conversation. Great selection of charcuterie. The chicken was fantastic tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/5/2014Delicious food in an exceptionally chic setting. I love how the staff go out of their way to greet people and making sure they have everything they need. This is what hospitality is all about.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/2/2014The only downside was a 50 minute wait for our table (despite a reservation). I think this is not the norm, we were just unlucky that the people occupying our table were lingering. We waited at the bar where the cocktails were very tasty with a very knowledgeable and professional bar-man. The service was attentive (but not overly so) and came with good food recommendations. Food was great. A relatively small menu, the diverse at the same time. All the appertisers and entres we had were really good.Special Features:
- Modern, Hip and TastyYummyYipDined on 6/2/2014House cured meats. Lots and lots of different meats, all delicious. Also many inventive veg and main dishes. Everything was fresh, nicely plated, well seasoned. Servers were attentive but it seemed our drink order got lost for a while and we had to ask for bread, even then it was brought without butter when it looked like all the others came out with it. As the evening wore on, the noise level went up to a distractible level. In all, it was an enjoyable meal and I'd return but maybe try to hit it earlier in the day or evening.Special Features:
- thisVIPDined on 5/30/2014food was fine, service was pretty terrible, won't go back
- Delicious spotMickyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Amazing food and cocktails. The salumi is some of the best in the city. Fun crowd. Beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip urban diningPleasantDined on 5/30/2014Great space, food, and service. Only drawback was that the noise level was too high. The music was too strong for the type of u-shaped seating which forces diners to be a little far from each other and with all hard surfaces, the music and voices bounces around and make it hard to hold a conversation. Easily fixed with appropriate music and maybe a some sound absorption.Special Features:
- Come for the CharcuterieAFungVIPDined on 5/30/2014Trou Normand's charcuterie and salumi menu is extensive and delicious. I wish their dinner menu was a little more extensive. We enjoyed everything we ordered (summer squash salad, romaine salad, arancini, house pickles, tagliatelle, bucatini, grilled trout. thuringer sausage). Everything was cooked very well. But a little more variety would be appreciated. Wines are reasonable and the cocktails are delicious. And you can never go wrong with epi bread. Don't be intimidated by the large communal booth. It was still very delineated. Just don't get stuck in the middle. Crawling out isn't very dignified.Special Features:
- Late Night Dining2BarFliesDined on 5/22/2014We had reservations, but preferred to sit at the Bar. Excellent Bar service. Bartender's very knowledgeable of the menu, as well as recommending what cocktails or wine go with choice of menu. The menu is small plates. The meatballs are to die for. Very few restaurants serve late. Great for after theater, movie; or when you just want late night dining. There is no marquee name. You have to know where you are going. Highly recommend Trou Normand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CbfantasticDined on 5/21/2014Beautiful space with delicious food but I was most impressed with the down to earth, ultra friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.