75 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tropisueno.com/
- Phone: (415) 243-0299
- Hours of Operation:
No reservations during lunch and happy hour.
Dinner reservations start at 5:30 pm everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Tropisueno is available for restaurant buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com x
A word from Tropisueño
Tropisueño is a very elegant looking, yet quite casual, affordable, and classic Mexican restaurant offering traditional regional dishes and a premium tequila bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Tropisueño - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Tropisueño reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (27)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (22)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (19)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- The best thing was a saladLindsayDined on 11/21/2014The service was good. The food was not. Some reviews and website make one think the food will be interestingly and finely prepared but food was very very ordinary and sauces had no nuance or delicacy. My colleague said soup was salty not tasty. Chips and salsa were good.
- Gourmet Mexican Fare near Yerba Buena ArtsPhilDined on 11/16/2014Tropisueno is the perfect place to enjoy carefully prepared gourmet Mexican food near Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Before you even order, you're served with delicately thin and tasty home-made chips with three house salsas. If you're a fan of Margaritas, make sure you order one here; it's tall, bold, and flavorful. The chicken mole is as good as it ever gets. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!RfoodieDined on 11/8/2014I am so glad I found this place. With all the positive reviews I had to give them a try. Make sure you book reservations. This place books up fast and for good reason. If you are looking for authentic Mexican food then this is the place for you. Everything was so good I will be back again and highly recommend it to everyone to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious form beginning to endphoenix1073Dined on 10/30/2014The chips and variety of "salsas" were so good. The house margarita was also above average. And the food... amazing! Enjoyable food experience from beginning to end. Only downside was the hostess was a bit non-attentive and we had to remind her we were there and ready to be seated, but no major complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good pricesJokerschortleDined on 10/29/2014This place is surprisingly good and feels more authentic than much of what's in the area. And the prices are pretty cheap, considering the location. Which is also a plus. I ordered a bit of guacamole and as ridiculously expensive it is (it was like 7.50 for a small little bowl). It was surprisingly not very fresh tasting. Other than that, I'd say the varied salsas, the grilled meats, rice and beans are pretty authentic to me. I highly recommend it, but if you're looking for a specific time to eat, definitely book ahead. As this is not very friendly when it comes to just drop ins. One thing to note, although the server was great, I'm not a fan of hurried service. The bus persons tend to try to take away dishes and silverware early.
- Birthday DinnerTangotoesDined on 10/18/2014Awesome vibe, outstanding chips and array of salsas. Excellent Chilie Verde. Attentive service. A night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Great food. As usual, I ate too many chips and my entrée was great so left very stuffed! We had a great time. Our margaritas were a bit too sweet, but you can't have everything.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for birthday dinneranonymousDined on 10/4/2014Awesome service and fantastic food. Will definitely be going back here again.Special Features:
- YumLink613Dined on 10/4/2014Brought my fiancé and our 2yr old daughter. Made a reservation for 7:15pm got there a bit ahead and we got seated promptly. The table we were seated at was a bit wobbly and our waitress did her best to try and fix it but it wasn't to big of a deal. The food was excellent!! My fiancé did say she felt . things were a little over salted but I thought everything was just fine.. She event brought her left overs home and had a late snack of them. We definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceCityFoodventurerDined on 9/29/2014I must say that I was more than impressed with the service at Tropisueno. Although I arrived 20 minutes early on an evening when the restaurant was relatively packed, my guest and I were immediately seated. Our waiter came to check in on us several times to ensure that we were doing alright. The food arrived faster than the waiter had time to fit us with the appropriate plates and cutlery. Remarkable experience! Great for a sweet date night, coworker meeting (which was what I did), or any other small group situations. The restaurant rather loud, so I would imagine that it would be difficult for larger groups to communicate across tables and such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very generous & affordableidahostumpDined on 9/22/2014Went here on recommendation of hotel wait staff. Authentic Mexican cuisine. The pork carnitas was fabulous. Very moist, well seasoned pork, in large chunks easily cut with a fork. Wife had beef carnitas, and it was also very good. Negra Modelo on tap. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- ExcellentShrimpyDined on 9/17/2014Great atmosphere, glad we booked. Great service. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and amazing service!BeatrixDined on 9/13/2014I found this place while waiting for a movie one night. I couldn't believe how HOT the food comes out. They really take care in their food and cocktails. Amazing place. Actually my favorite restaurant in SF.Special Features:
- Good day or nightparisDined on 9/10/2014We returned to Tropisueno for dinner after having had lunch there and found the food and service wonderful. Though noisy we were able to have a table in a spot that was less busy, our waiter was attentive and best of all the variety of appitzers we had were delicious. The mango margarita was one of the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzing with tasty Mexicanswannie3Dined on 8/24/2014Went here for dinner to celebrate two birthdays. Great buzzing atmosphere, with both a great food list as well as drinks list. We had 12 drinks around the table, and folks were largely happy with all the margaritas and other cocktails we had. Food was delicious and really quite affordable for SF. Also, I noted the birthdays in the comments tab during reservations and they were very good about making the birthday boy and birthday girl feel special - bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!DellDined on 8/22/2014The food is delicious and the atmosphere is great! The only complaint I have is that the service was a bit slow. But if you have a great group or date, then it is not a big deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, easy diningPitttrendsetterVIPDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful night. Make sure to make reservations! Wait times can stretch to an hour (after work crowds and it's between the Marriott, Westin and Four Seasons hotels). Once you are in, service is attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & plentifulmarkmdDined on 8/20/2014We were at first daunted by the incredibly high noise level, but the servers did move us to a slightly less noisy table. Otherwise, the service was fine, and food quite good and the portions large enough that we were able to make a second meal of them the following night. We were impressed that it was so crowded on a Wednesday at 5:30 PM, so others must also think that the restaurant is doing something right.Special Features:
- Great eveningFoxyDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I enjoyed the margaritas and all our meals were very good. I have been in here a fews times now and I have always had a delicious meal and the atmosphere is uplifting.Special Features:
- Excellent flavorsOutoftownerVIPDined on 8/12/2014A bustling place with decent service. The key to the place is an excellent see of flavorful dishes--amongst the best New Mexican I have had anywhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Service was okay but it felt rushed. The restaurant was very loud by the time we had our order taken, and the waiter messed up on a few orders - i think its because he didn't hear what my father in law said. We went to the restaurant a day ahead of time to let the host know we were celebrating a birthday. The waiter didnt ackowledge the birthday at all, though i'm not sure he's supposed to. I guess it would have been nice if he did. The food was excellent when we finally got everything we ordered.Special Features:
- Great food!vhinpghVIPDined on 8/10/2014The tortilla chips were (unfortunately) hard to stop eating -- thin and light. Liked the guacamole and the seviche appetizers. Loved the shrimp dish that was described as spicy but it was not too spicy. Good chicken dishes, too. Would definitely come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagdaMagdaDined on 8/9/2014We stayed very well, confortable and relaxing. Service exellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing it's good reputationReginaVIPDined on 8/5/2014I used to love to come to this spot for dinner with friends, but recently they haven't been very focused on the quality of the food or service. Servers take forever to come by the table and don't check on you. You'll sit forever just waiting on the check with no food or drinks left on your table. The food is hit or miss now (though the salsa trio never disappoints!) The have the worst hosting staff. Not courteous, exude fake friendliness like they hate people, and they are completely inefficient. They won't accommodate requests for certain tables (I simply wanted to sit by the window), and rather than seat 3 of us while 1 closed out the bar tab, they had us wait to settle which created an unnecessary crowd in an already tight space. Dumb.Special Features:
- lylecassDined on 8/3/2014Food came out fast but when I ordered a second Margarita it took forever.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 563 reviews are from the Tropisueño reviews archive.
- AccommodatingbocobbeatsDined on 7/29/2014They were able to fit us on short notice with a couple extra people. Food was good, and it was good for a large party.Special Features:
- TheBeamDined on 7/29/2014The food here is excellent, with a varied and interesting menu. Portion sizes were generous (I took nearly half of my entree home). The beer and wine selection was adequate, but not extensive. Prices were very reasonable. At 7:30, the place was packed, and the service suffered a bit as a result. The staff were trying hard, but seemed overwhelmed. The bar area was extremely noisy, but the dining area was a bit less so. There is also some outside seating available. Conversation was possible, but I wouldn't want to count on an intimate dining experience. All in all, I had a pleasant time at Tropisueño and will go again, but I will probably try to go at a less crowded time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here. Make a reservation, btw.canigetaboxDined on 7/17/2014Pint glass margaritas, check. Fast and capable bar, check. Really loud when packed, check. Awesome front of house, check. Awesome kitchen, check. Addictive salsas, check. Food arriving swiftly, check. Recommendation, check.Special Features:
- yummyUk6666Dined on 7/13/2014This was great fun and Sergio,our waiter,was excellent. They also very kindly put us ay a special table and the food wad delicious. must go again. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexico in heart of cityLei46Dined on 7/6/2014The food and service was excellent. Because of this expect alot of people having a great time. Not a place fir a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodsfeaterVIPDined on 6/28/2014The decor and the reasonable prices make it seem like this restaurant would only be mediocre, but both the quality of food and the service here are surprisingly good. The salsas and sauces are excellent, and the wait service is very attentive. This is a great choice if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodTZgen808Dined on 6/22/2014Restaurant was a recommendation by a friend & our hotel. The food and drinks were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My third time here...SportgirlieVIPDined on 6/21/2014was not as good as the first two times. The rice was hard and dry. We were here this time for a friend's birthday. Food was very disappointing. Had an early reservation and it seemed to me the food came off the taqueria line. Rice was dry, tamales were yuck. Only thing good on the plate was the white beans. Very disappointed. Other times I've been there was later in the evening and food was fresher. So, for them, I would recommend they serve fresher food earlier in the evening so early diners get the benefit of good food too. May not return as result of last experience. Service is always good. Servers are knowledgeable about the food and prompt to respond.
- Great place.HollsYummuDined on 6/19/2014Loved our whole experience. Great food, awesome service, and nice atmosphere . Perfect for any occasion and accommodating to small or larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!DisappointingDined on 6/18/2014We had a great time, the food was great, the cocktails delicious and the service was attentive and friendly ONLY drawback is that after dinner, you can't have a cup of coffee as they don't serve it (?). Small drawback, but as I was treating a friend for his birthday and he wanted an after dinner coffee, that was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014Unless you're looking for a lively place to drink with the friends, I wouldn't recommend Tropisueno. The staff was pleasant and helpful. However, the food was mediocre and conversation was almost impossible.
- Downtown Mexican RestaurantTonyDined on 6/10/2014Since we work in the Financial District, Tropisueno is a good close location and has very good Mexican food, sure you can probably go to the Mission and pay somewhat less, but when its about getting somewhere fast and the food and service are very good, then its worth it. Tampiqueno and the combination plates were delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The food was just ok. My dining companion enjoyed it much more than I did. The ambiance was pleasant and the drinks were good. The "flan" had the texture of cheesecake and tasted like cheesecake. The service was good.Special Features:
- Service & food is outstandingClearDined on 6/3/2014Shaun really bent over backward to help our reservation work. Our server was really great and portions and food were delightful. Will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-end MexicanHoodieDined on 5/31/2014While the caliber of food is certainly better than Taco Bell, and the service was excellent (and the prices go with to boot), I say the main reason to go here is the drinks and lively atmosphere. Paying high prices for mexican food seems a bit ridiculous - better deals to be found in the mish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.