75 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tropisueno.com/
- Phone: 4152430299x
- Hours of Operation:
No reservations during lunch and happy hour.
Dinner reservations start at 5:30 pm everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Tropisueno is available for restaurant buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com x
A word from Tropisueño
Tropisueño is a very elegant looking, yet quite casual, affordable, and classic Mexican restaurant offering traditional regional dishes and a premium tequila bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Tropisueño - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Tropisueño reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (38)hot spot (35)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (21)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great eveningFoxyDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I enjoyed the margaritas and all our meals were very good. I have been in here a fews times now and I have always had a delicious meal and the atmosphere is uplifting.Special Features:
- Excellent flavorsOutoftownerVIPDined on 8/12/2014A bustling place with decent service. The key to the place is an excellent see of flavorful dishes--amongst the best New Mexican I have had anywhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Service was okay but it felt rushed. The restaurant was very loud by the time we had our order taken, and the waiter messed up on a few orders - i think its because he didn't hear what my father in law said. We went to the restaurant a day ahead of time to let the host know we were celebrating a birthday. The waiter didnt ackowledge the birthday at all, though i'm not sure he's supposed to. I guess it would have been nice if he did. The food was excellent when we finally got everything we ordered.Special Features:
- Great food!vhinpghVIPDined on 8/10/2014The tortilla chips were (unfortunately) hard to stop eating -- thin and light. Liked the guacamole and the seviche appetizers. Loved the shrimp dish that was described as spicy but it was not too spicy. Good chicken dishes, too. Would definitely come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagdaMagdaDined on 8/9/2014We stayed very well, confortable and relaxing. Service exellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing it's good reputationReginaVIPDined on 8/5/2014I used to love to come to this spot for dinner with friends, but recently they haven't been very focused on the quality of the food or service. Servers take forever to come by the table and don't check on you. You'll sit forever just waiting on the check with no food or drinks left on your table. The food is hit or miss now (though the salsa trio never disappoints!) The have the worst hosting staff. Not courteous, exude fake friendliness like they hate people, and they are completely inefficient. They won't accommodate requests for certain tables (I simply wanted to sit by the window), and rather than seat 3 of us while 1 closed out the bar tab, they had us wait to settle which created an unnecessary crowd in an already tight space. Dumb.Special Features:
- lylecassDined on 8/3/2014Food came out fast but when I ordered a second Margarita it took forever.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingbocobbeatsDined on 7/29/2014They were able to fit us on short notice with a couple extra people. Food was good, and it was good for a large party.Special Features:
- TheBeamDined on 7/29/2014The food here is excellent, with a varied and interesting menu. Portion sizes were generous (I took nearly half of my entree home). The beer and wine selection was adequate, but not extensive. Prices were very reasonable. At 7:30, the place was packed, and the service suffered a bit as a result. The staff were trying hard, but seemed overwhelmed. The bar area was extremely noisy, but the dining area was a bit less so. There is also some outside seating available. Conversation was possible, but I wouldn't want to count on an intimate dining experience. All in all, I had a pleasant time at Tropisueño and will go again, but I will probably try to go at a less crowded time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here. Make a reservation, btw.canigetaboxDined on 7/17/2014Pint glass margaritas, check. Fast and capable bar, check. Really loud when packed, check. Awesome front of house, check. Awesome kitchen, check. Addictive salsas, check. Food arriving swiftly, check. Recommendation, check.Special Features:
- yummyUk6666Dined on 7/13/2014This was great fun and Sergio,our waiter,was excellent. They also very kindly put us ay a special table and the food wad delicious. must go again. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexico in heart of cityLei46Dined on 7/6/2014The food and service was excellent. Because of this expect alot of people having a great time. Not a place fir a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodsfeaterVIPDined on 6/28/2014The decor and the reasonable prices make it seem like this restaurant would only be mediocre, but both the quality of food and the service here are surprisingly good. The salsas and sauces are excellent, and the wait service is very attentive. This is a great choice if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodTZgen808Dined on 6/22/2014Restaurant was a recommendation by a friend & our hotel. The food and drinks were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.HollsYummuDined on 6/19/2014Loved our whole experience. Great food, awesome service, and nice atmosphere . Perfect for any occasion and accommodating to small or larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!DisappointingDined on 6/18/2014We had a great time, the food was great, the cocktails delicious and the service was attentive and friendly ONLY drawback is that after dinner, you can't have a cup of coffee as they don't serve it (?). Small drawback, but as I was treating a friend for his birthday and he wanted an after dinner coffee, that was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014Unless you're looking for a lively place to drink with the friends, I wouldn't recommend Tropisueno. The staff was pleasant and helpful. However, the food was mediocre and conversation was almost impossible.
- Downtown Mexican RestaurantTonyDined on 6/10/2014Since we work in the Financial District, Tropisueno is a good close location and has very good Mexican food, sure you can probably go to the Mission and pay somewhat less, but when its about getting somewhere fast and the food and service are very good, then its worth it. Tampiqueno and the combination plates were delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The food was just ok. My dining companion enjoyed it much more than I did. The ambiance was pleasant and the drinks were good. The "flan" had the texture of cheesecake and tasted like cheesecake. The service was good.Special Features:
- Service & food is outstandingClearDined on 6/3/2014Shaun really bent over backward to help our reservation work. Our server was really great and portions and food were delightful. Will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-end MexicanHoodieDined on 5/31/2014While the caliber of food is certainly better than Taco Bell, and the service was excellent (and the prices go with to boot), I say the main reason to go here is the drinks and lively atmosphere. Paying high prices for mexican food seems a bit ridiculous - better deals to be found in the mish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service honor reservationsJohnDined on 5/30/2014Thank you for providing a table with some privacy as requested on the reservation. Good service, good food. Good experience.Special Features:
- leroismomDined on 5/26/2014Sunday evening was very busy and perhaps that was the reason for the slow service.Special Features:
- GreatSanFranciscoSueDined on 5/24/2014Service was outstanding on an extremely busy Saturday night. We asked for a quiet area (difficult) but were given a perfect spot that allowed us to enjoy the ambiance of a "with it" spot and still hear one another. Four of us - all thoroughly enjoyed the food but the fish special was superb. Took the waiters recommendation on several items and were very pleased. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatHDined on 5/19/2014It was terrific. Food was great, service was great. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mexican food and great drinks!1s905Dined on 5/18/2014Enjoyed our meal and the tapas style of dining should you choose. Enjoy the drinks and the mexican beers that they have on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!CKeatsDined on 5/17/2014This was one my favorite dining experiences of all time! The food, the service and the atmosphere were stellar! A true San Francisco Gem! I go there for lunch about twice a week! It is always spectacular with the Tortas and burritos. This was my first dinner there and it could not have been better! Recommended to all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local hot spot!!!Keneked808Dined on 5/17/2014Great local hot spot recommended by a local!!! Didn't want to do the tourist thing. Great spot to have killer margaritas!! Will surely make it a visit destination on our next visit to San Fracisco!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014We loved the three different salsas with the chips and when they ran out we immediately got more without even asking! The items we ordered were so flavorful and tasty.Special Features:
- Favorite spot by MetreonRickDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I love coming here before seeing a movie. Reservations are recommended, it fills up fast. Consistently great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently greatdinealotVIPDined on 5/16/2014This lively restaurant consistently delivers great food in a very upbeat atmosphere. We both had the Chuleta De Puerco Adobada which was very tender and juicy and split a fish ceviche appetizer that was also yummy though a bit small in portion size. Our wait staff were super friendly and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSFTallGuyDined on 5/8/2014The food is always good. Make reservations, this place is always busy.Special Features:
- Great!bdayhostDined on 5/5/2014We were expecting Tropisueno to be a bit behindas it was Cinco de Mayo but our table was ready for us when we arrived on time for our 9:15 reserveration. Our server was amazing! I've forgotten her name but she had long blonde hair and was extremely pleasant and helpful in ordering drinks and taking our picture after our meal. Food and drink came promptly considering the bar was very crowded and paying for the meal was very efficient. Of course the food was great! I always get the chile verde and it's always delicious. I especially like it when the majority of the pork has fallen apart and resembles pulled pork.Special Features:
- great food, better tequila!JessDined on 5/4/2014I've been to Tropiseuno a number of times and always love the food and margaritas! This time, I got the old school dish and chose Chicken Tinga enchilada and a pork tamale. The enchilada was fantastic, but I found the tamale bland. The pork was less than flavorful and not up to par considering I've NEVER had a sub par food item. Anyhow, the wait person along with the bartender suggested 2 wonderful tequilas that my fiance and I had as an after dinner treat! I couldn't tell you what they were, but when we asked for smooth, mid priced, they delivered exceptional options and educated us at the same time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual Latin fusionTerryDined on 5/3/2014Many eclectic dishes, done with special sauces and combinations. The scallops are particularly scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall not too badrkeatsVIPDined on 5/1/2014Decent selection of margaritas on the menu but ask for the daily special, they tend to have a variety of unique flavors. During the last visit we ordered the specials of the day: a Mango Jalapeño and a White Peach Margarita. The white peach was great because the tequila was masked by the fruity flavors, dangerously delicious. The mango jalapeno was really spicy but really good at the same time. My lips were burning but I couldn't stop drinking. In regards to the food, everything was great except for the tacos (I believe it was beef cheek). The meat was very dry and flavorless. Ive been here a few times and have never had too many issues with their food so this was a surprise for me. Carnitas tostadas on the other hand were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for dinnerTorchureDined on 4/29/2014The plantanos fritos and tostaditas de carnitas were delicious appetizers. Outdoor and bar seating which qualified for happy hour was full by 5:15. The place was vibrant and conveniently located across from the Metron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TropisuenoLisaDined on 4/25/2014Great night and food. Fun and interesting cocktails. Sean who called back to confirm and ended up seating us was delightful. His assistance and delightful personality made the night even more enjoyable.Special Features:
- The following 530 reviews are from the Tropisueño reviews archive.
- Avaziri79Dined on 4/17/2014Great place, great food, great staff!! Oh and really good drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When can I go back?DisplacedOhioanDined on 4/10/2014I would go back. With a reservation, my party was able to sit right down. The complimentary chips and salsa were delicious. Make sure to try the scallops as an app. Everything was tasty and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.