265 W. 20th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chelseadining.com/Trois_Canards/menu.html
- Phone: 2126757749
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Alonso Tello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Trois Canards
Trois Canards French Bistro in Chelsea NYC. Stop in for fine wine and great inexpensive French cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Trois Canards - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Trois Canards reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)romantic (8)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Quaint and cozy french restaurantgoodwineDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have been here a few times. We have always been satisfied with our meals. The escargot is to die for! They offer a substantial variety of entrees to choose from. We like it because it's small, romantic and very reasonable. I would definitely recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- goodeatsDined on 8/21/2014EXCELLENT FOOD, GREAT SERVICE, MODERATELY PRICED AND CONSISTENTLY DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- just okebfromroslynDined on 8/21/2014food was mediocre, duck was rather dry and not enough sauce, very close to the theater we went to, accommodating re turning down the horrible music that was playing when we arrived, but the waiter was not especially helpful and neglected to tell us the specials which we heard him announcing at the next table after we had ordered. when we told him this later he said we had ordered the prix fixe menu as an excuse, but this was not true.
- duck duck….duckmaestromuffinVIPDined on 8/15/2014when I want duck…I go to trios canard! most upscale restaurants serve duck breast - here you get a delicious dish of both the breast and the leg/thigh. it is served with a lovely orange sauce and some of the tastiest aromatic wild rice ever. i started with the escargot, which were yummy! my friend had a porterhouse, just as he likes it. O love going here, it's a little bit for france right in chelsea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent@!!!!!JamieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Delicious.. great prix fixe and a FABULOUS souffleSpecial Features:
- Delicious and ReasonablesashaDined on 8/2/2014We had the price fixe dinner before attending the theatre nearby. The decor is adorable and the service friendly but quite slow. We both had the hangar steak (few dollars upcharge on price fixe but worth it). Steak was flavorful and came with very yummy mashed potatoes and veggies. We will be back.Special Features:
- Sam200Dined on 8/1/2014Excellent location near Joyce Theater, nice decor, ver good food, very good service, and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- goodeatsDined on 8/1/2014Food was great- ample portions, tasty preparations, and good service. Prices were reasonable. Souffle was really delicious. What more could one want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, slow serviceLarryBVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had just gotten back from Paris and were not ready to leave the experience behind. Trois Canards was fun. Nice ambiance, reasonable prices, but excruciatingly slow service. Food came in reasonable time, but then they forgot about us. Oysters were great- big, flavorful and succulent. Creme Brûlée was also stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindDUBRDined on 7/18/2014Good food, good atmosphere and service. Very nice neighborhood restaurant that is cozy and accommodating. The staff was friendly and the service was quick. The food was quite good and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely adorable.Cather123VIPDined on 7/15/2014What a cute place! Excellent location for nearby theaters, the food is fine. My duck might have been a bit overcooked, but husband's filet of sole was really good. They got us out in plenty of time for our curtain. Pre-theater dinner is a bargain, and menu prices are really reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice French neighborhood placeKittyKDined on 6/21/2014It was fine. Service is SLOW. The food was solid overall, but uneven. Decent variety of wines by glass and bottle. Reasonably priced. Mashed potatoes are bland and chicken was dry, but the sauces are delicious and the steak was well-cooked. Duck was lightly overcooked. Veg was perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Good but not greatBrooklyniteDined on 6/11/2014When we arrived for our 7 pm reservation we were alone in the restaurant. After about an hour, there were diners at two other tables. Service was friendly and prompt. Steak frites--the most standard of bistro fare--was a bit chewy and a bit overdone. Duck breast special was excellent. Brazilian music in the background was pleasant but a little out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvoidDispleasedVIPDined on 6/6/2014Terrible food, clearly straight out of a can. No one in the joint but took forever to get waiters attention.
- A hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2014What a nice surprise, this little restaurant tucked behind its Italian cousin. Great food and great ambiance. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 221 reviews are from the Trois Canards reviews archive.
- fun spotlocalfunDined on 5/10/2014The ambience was fun and French, food was good, service and value greatSpecial Features:
- Very good meal, good valueTickVIPDined on 5/1/2014My wife and I were looking for a relatively inexpensive restaurant in Chelsea near the Atlantic Theater Company on a weekday night. Trois Canards fit the bill. The food was really very good - nothing fancy, but tasty and well-prepared. My wife had the hanger steak in burgandy sauce and I had the Noisette de Veau. We shared the meals and liked them equally. All but one of the entrees were under $20. The restaurant is small and colorful, replete with neat French posters, etc. On a weekend night, it wasn't so busy, nor noisy. We recommend it.Special Features:
- New French FindDLKingDined on 3/29/2014Five of us dined at Trois Canards for dinner on a Saturday night. It was lovely to sit in a restaurant on a Saturday night and be able to hear each other talk. The restaurant is small and blessedly quiet. The food was excellent. I had the short rib special on a bed of mashed potatoes. Both were perfectly cooked. Other meals in our group included the Grand Marnier duck breast, Veau Monte Carlo. We were all very pleased with our dishes. The only sour note was the dessert. I had the creme brulee, my favorite dessert. Unfortunately, the sugar was burnt and it never carmalized. I only had a few bites. Another of us ordered the chocolate mousse and loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful & Quiet in ChelseaCharlieSigVIPDined on 3/19/2014Trios Canards is a peaceful and quiet spot in Chelsea (at least on a weeknight) with a great $20 pre-fixe meal for pre-theatre (perfect for the nearby Joyce or Atlantic Theatre Company).Special Features:
- second time aroundior57reviewDined on 3/15/2014this was our second time at this restaurant. the first time there was a price fix menu which was nor offered this time and both are meals were delicious so we came back this time. my wife had garlic mouse and sole and thought both were terrific. i had onion soup and grilled salmon and thought they were run of the mill. we shared an apple tart for dessert and it was terrific. we are late sixties (as are many of the customers) so the low key atmosphere is fine with us. we love it when the music is Edith Piaf or La Vie en Rose sung by ???? Don't sit near the door if its cold. the service was good. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Not BadOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/7/2013Not bad, but certainly nothing special. Decent food, moderate prices. Reminded me of what we thought French restaurants were suppose to be in the '60s and '70s.
- A terrible experience!realmagicDined on 12/5/2013I had reservatins with a friend.. When we were seated, we could hear loud music from the restaurant next door as well as music from our own restaurant. We asked if the music within our restaurant could be turned down. The waiter told us that the next door restaurant is managed by the same person who manages Trois Canards that there was no way he would turn down either of the sound systems. We asked for the manager, who was rude and abrupt and did in fact refuse to turn down either sound system, in spite of the fact that there were only four people present in Trois Canards. Ultimately, we decided to leave and find a quieter place to eat, upon which the manager rudely told us "Yes, why don't you do that." i will never dine there again!Special Features:
- France in NYCJoanieDined on 12/1/2013I've been to this restaurant twice now and have loved it. The service is great as well as the food selection. It reminded of those small intimate restaurants in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked awaytimmmykVIPDined on 12/1/2013Romantic little spot in Chelsea; we went for the prix fixe. Was a good value for the money. Service very good.Special Features:
- Small cute spotDianaDined on 11/26/2013This place is tiny, maybe ten tables. As a French food lover, maybe I'm just a bit more picky. Escargot was pretty good, poulet roti good not amazing, creme brûlée? No. Just no. For some reason had SO MUCH lemon! Then my server says that's how it's supposed to be...mmmm, nope. Wines BTG not good, but I get it. Most places dont have the greatest wines BTG. The bottle list looked decent. All in all, I would go again but not for anything special, just maybe if I needed a place to grab dinner close to my office. Which is how I ended up there in the first place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bustfoodie1VIPDined on 11/15/2013Took my daughter out for a special dinner. We were so disappointed. We decided to share a bunch of plate. The escargot with steamed artichoke was flavorless and the "garlic sauce" was an unnatural color. The mixed greens salad with goat cheese was good but nothing special. The French onion soup was good but again over salted. We had one other dish but it didn't stay with me. Service was alright, food fair and ambiance a little kitschy
- Tho the food was a tad mediocre,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2013Tho the food was a tad mediocre, the ambience was lovely; a charming little French restaurant. The low noise level contributed to our enjoyable evening. We were dining with friends and never had to raises or voices to be heard. It would be lovely is they played French music; Edith Piaf, etc. That would contribute even more to the atmosphere! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful hole-in-the-wall Bistrotm1949VIPDined on 10/29/2013A small room, with faux French posters gives one a very comfortable, cozy feeling. The roast duck was perfect, with just the right amount of crispy skin and tender meat. A very nice selection of reasonably priced wines. A wonderful find for not much money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Neighborhood JointMeshuginehDined on 10/19/2013I came here thinking it would be really Parisian and quaint. Not so much - it had salsa music blasting and a menu that was an amalgamation of Italian/French and American foods...Strange place.
- We happened to find this restaurantFoodie93Dined on 10/4/2013We happened to find this restaurant and it was a really nice experience. The food was very good and we truly enjoyed the nice, quiet ambience where we could have a nice conversation and good food.Special Features:
- Romantic & delicious!MyBdayDined on 9/28/2013This is a lovely romantic spot for a slow paced, relaxed & totally delicious meal. I thought the prices were also excellent for the quality & quantity of food too. The staff was friendly & very accommodating & welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud music and nasty serviceJulMarVIPDined on 9/21/2013My husband and I walked into a largely empty restaurant that had music blaring. We were seated under a speaker and asked if the music could be turned down so that we could enjoy our conversation. We were told very rudely that it wouldn't be possible because the people at the bar (which were none) like the music loud. We left the restaurant immediately and will never return. A shame since this location is ideal for us.
- Although this is a charmingImafoodieVIPDined on 9/7/2013Although this is a charming looking restaurant, our server was unfriendly and impatient which became a major turn off. We both ordered a pre theatre prix fixe dinner as we were on our way to see a local off Bway play. I ordered the filet of sole which tasted more like cod than sole. The portion of vegetables was very small. My salad tasted like it had no dressing until I asked for some. I probably won't return because our waiter was rude.
- Neighborhood GemJennifer47Dined on 8/31/2013I live in Chelsea and love this restaurant. The service is always wonderful and the place reminds me of being in Paris. It is really charming. The food is very good and the waiter Armando is excellent. I come here at least 3X a month and would recommend it highly. I usually go for dinner but brunch is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerlovetodineVIPDined on 8/20/2013We met out of town friends for dinner and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The restaurant was rather empty which made it very easy for conversation. The food was delicious and well priced and the service was knowledgeable. We would return.Special Features:
- Classic French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2013Went for a last dinner in NYC prior to moving my son into college. Cute bistro atmosphere. Escargot were good, but we split 6 among the 3 of us, and one was empty! The portions of the entrees were very generous. My duck with orange sauce was very good. The stuffed roast chicken was dry. The Grand Marnier souffle tasted like a vanilla -- maybe it was a mistake. It was a pleasant evening, but would not go out of my way to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood resturantmmsaVIPDined on 8/8/2013we eat here every time we come to nyc and have never been disapointed. sole is fabulousSpecial Features:
- Trois CanardsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/29/2013Very average but serviceable. Pre-theater prix fixe very reasonable and ideally located near The Joyce Theater.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2013Have been here about 5 times and always loved it. Often come for the prix fixe, since I need to get back to Jersey before dark. Was surprised that the portions were much smaller than I was used to. The hanger steak consisted of about 8 small pieces. The pate course used to have more than one piece. The food herre was always good and actually rather bistro French. I will continue to go, but was disappointed.Special Features:
- LIKE BEING IN PARISChrisRonVIPDined on 7/28/2013Everything was excellent - the only flaw in an impeccable evening was the very small amount of wine served for $10 glass - about half the amount we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.