826 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://triosac.com/
- Phone: 9164447454
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Fri 11am-2pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gonul Blum
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is how we began. Now, with two restaurants in Sacramento, we have also expanded our catering services and can host parties or events both in our restaurants and on location at your own venue.
Trio Catering offers full table or buffet style services. You can choose from our brunch, lunch, and dinner menus, plus enjoy a selection from our platters and hors d"oeuvres . We can even offer take out platters that you can pick-up from our restaurant.
Check our web site for the catering menu
- Private Party Facilities: Seating for up to 16 in a private dining room. Large screen TV that can be used for presentations.
Main dining room in 2 sections. Can close off one section for parties greater than 20 people or whole restaurant for parties greater than 50.
- Private Party Contact: Gonul Blum 9165080159
A word from Trio
Sacramento"s newest fine foods restaurant serving the freshest Mediterranean-inspired foods in a casual yet vibrant atmosphere. Savor a menu that changes with the seasons, with recipes from France, Italy and Turkey, and ingredients drawn from Gonul's garden andlocal, organic farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trio reviews from OpenTable diners
- Under Appreciated SpotBarringtonDined on 9/20/2013I couldn't believe that there were only 2 other patrons during my visit. The menu is diverse, the wine list is limited but covers any taste one might have and the food is filled with complex flavors expertly blended by the chef. The ambiance is very nice and there is beautiful artwork throughout. It is a great spot for a romantic dinner and I hope people discover this place soon as I'd like to be able to keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not GreatJoanneDined on 8/31/2013For a Saturday night, it was pretty quiet with only a few tables occupied. Food was good although the accompanying rice pilaf had pools of visible grease. Tabouleh salad was very tasty. Lamb Tagine was fairly one-flavored and lacking in noticeable vegetables. The Bread pudding was far too dry and the mystery topping on it just strange-like melted marshmallow.
- Excellent flavor!DeanoswaDined on 8/28/2013I was so impressed with the flavor of every course of our fixed price dinner. Amazing flavor, thoughtful preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBrianVIPDined on 8/23/2013I was looking quite forward to trying this new aberration of Gonul's out, but was quite disappointed in the outcome of the meal. I made needless reservations for 6:30 on a Friday evening. When we arrived, there was one other table occupied. We were greeted and seated by what turned out to be someone who was the server, host, and bartender, all rolled into one. We began with the Eggplant Napoleon which, while had good flavor, was not a good value for the portion size. We then ordered entrees of their fish of the day and the meatloaf. Both portions were over-salted, though the flavors of the dishes would have been nice without the heavy-handedness of salt in all the dishes, including the app. I hope that Gonul is doing a brisk lunch business.
- GOOD FOOD, AVERAGE SERVICE1KTravelerVIPDined on 8/20/2013Having been a big fan of Gonul's J Street Cafe, I thought I'd try Trio. When I entered the restaurant, there was an extended wait and the two servers seemed overwhelmed. After being seated, there was another extended wait for assistance, and I saw several other customers obviously dissatisfied with the service. I noticed food at the buffet out, and asked if it was available, but was told the buffet ended at 4pm. Considering that it was now 7:30PM, what had the staff been doing in the meantime and why was the food still there? The pita with a balsamic dipping sauce was very tasty and the chicken curry was delicious, light and well presented. The interior was very nice. This place has much promise but the service has to improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/20/2013We have been here several times, just hoping the horrible service and bad food were a fluke. I'm not sure what happened, when Trio first opened it was fair - good. We went for lunch this time and were looking forward to trying the buffet. Our usual method is to try a tiny bite of everything and go back for more on the items we liked. At Trio, as you approach the buffet there is a sign that promptly states that you get one pass of the buffet. This leads to great waste since basically you have to get all you MIGHT want on the first shot. Looking around, here were several tables with full plates of food left behind. I'm sad to say, I did the same. I agree with the other reviews that a person could not try to give worse service.
- Nice Little Spot!AnneDined on 8/19/2013Thanks to Living Social we stumbled upon this little gem. The food was exquisite; very flavorful and unique. We will definitely be going back here again. Super fast service as well (always a bonus)!Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2013This was our second time to Trio and we were not disappointed. The food is so amazing. Everything has so much flavor and you can tell it is all top quality and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to be Discovered by More Folkmikeslv958Dined on 7/19/2013What a shame that this place isn't packed -- the food is interesting--even unusual (in a good way), very well prepared, and served in a lovely space. Prices are beyond reasonable. Service is warm and friendly. I note that it also received top reviews from the Sacramento Bee's food writer. All I can think of is--bad location. I hate to suggest she moves but I also hate the thought of losing such a tasty, reasonably priced restaurant due to poor location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fresh and creative.ClarkDined on 7/16/2013The food was fresh and creative. The sauces were a little too sweet for my taste.Special Features:
- Great food, but slowmla1Dined on 6/20/2013The food was great and interesting, but it took a long time to get our dessert which was a fabulous bread pudding. Also we went at 6pm and this is the 3rd time the lamb shank was unavailable because it was not finished cooking. Next time we might go later to finally have a chance to taste the lamb shank. The dolmas were the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- The burger has changed andOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2013The burger has changed and is strange - the patty fell apart and had beans and unknown favors. The meat was not cooked to the requested temperature and was undercooked. The bread also had a funny taste and the dipping sauce that accompanied it was very sour and was served warm. I would not return again.
- Nice enough but oddKingkatVIPDined on 6/10/2013We tried this restaurant because of the good reviews we had seen and it was okay. The service was odd -- perhaps because there was only one waitress and while she didn't have a lot of tables (3 I think) they were spread out over a large area. Or maybe because there was only one cook -- who knows. Food came and then nothing and then some more and then nothing. She brought over some bread and a duck pate without checking to see if we wanted it and then got a little argumentative when we said we didn't want and wouldn't eat duck pate even though it was apparently an amuse bouche. She took it away saying "I'm taking the DUCK pate away". Right, yes you are. The Turkish beer and wine was very good. The chicken curry was also very good.
- Not as good as last time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013The fish on the fish salad was tough and the lamb dish very fatty and too salty. The lamb shank and vegetarian dishes were very good. Bread is the best and dessert was wonderful. It was not consistent with the last time we were there. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Empty Resturant GREAT FoodGradMomDined on 5/31/2013I am at a loss to explain why such a marvelous restaurant was empty on a Friday night but the food was amazing and beautifully prepared. The service was excellent given he had plenty of time the server answered many questions about the menu and the recipes with the warmest of smiles. I'd definitely take my family again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful, but overcooked, and slowmangiaVIPDined on 5/24/2013After a great start (best tabouleh salad I ever had in my life), we had some minor disappointments. Although the dover sole was very good, we realized half-way through it wasn't the snapper we ordered. We had requested the rack of lamb medium rare but received it well done. Also overcooked were the blue prawns. The only thing not overcooked was the chicken curry. It was too bad about the overcooking as the flavors of each dish married well with their sides (couscous, squash and eggplant) and had the potential of scoring very high. It would take a lot to convince me to come back, since even with only two other tables to wait on, service was surprisingly slow.
- Loved the foodmgal66Dined on 5/18/2013I thought Trio was a gem. The food was spectacular.Special Features:
- The flavors are surprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2013The flavors are surprising in a wonderful way. Great! Try the Turlu, well.. anything on the menu will do nicely. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Brunch BeautifulebebDined on 5/12/2013We visited for brunch on Sunday. The food is authentic, european flavors. All unique tastes and textures. The service staff was attentive. I spoke with the chef and she is a real gem. A plus is the home-made breads, jellies, bread-pudding. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodPoon8Dined on 5/11/2013I enjoyed my Mother's day dinner! Excellent lamb dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in metro settingLandLdineoutDined on 5/10/2013This was great Mediterranean food beautifully presented. The server was attentive and helpful in explaining the meal. We had the fixed price dinner. Everything was very tasty and artistically presented on the plate. For dessert we had the bread pudding. It was the first time I tried it and it was absolutely delicious. The white wine (chardonnay) that we had with the meal complimented the food. We went for dinner before a show in downtown Sacramento and it was a great way to start a Friday night out. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the best food.10itisDined on 4/23/2013Absolutely the best food. Have been there 4 times now and will be back again. Prices are so reasonable. Owner was smiling and dancing about while cooking. You could see how much pride she takes in preparing your order.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2013The food and service were both very good. We enjoyed ourselves. However, it took an hour and a half total and we'd have liked to get out quicker. We'd go back though.Special Features:
- The food was very well presentedRuchiDined on 4/13/2013The food was very well presented but the food wasn't warm (was almost cold, especially the soup). The servers were friendly.Special Features:
- tepid (but flavorful) soup,OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/13/2013tepid (but flavorful) soup, abysmal service and inedible main course - need i say more? wouldn't go back on a bet (even for free)
- The taste, preparation, andWONDERFULDined on 4/13/2013The taste, preparation, and presentation were outstanding. Excellent service. Just a great placeSpecial Features:
- We were in a hurry to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2013We were in a hurry to make a Broadway show and the service was a little slow. I think they weren't prepared for the results from the Sacramento Bee article about them. The food was great! Wish we had planned a leisurely evening, so we could have enjoyed our meal and had dessert.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/12/2013We enjoyed our dinner quite a bit. The lamb was excellent, and we really enjoyed the unique menu. We did notice that there was not a host or hostess on duty, so the server was having to perform double duty. There seemed to be several parties that came and waited and left before being helped. Having someone on duty on the weekends at least should be considered.Special Features:
- Interesting food combos NiceOTfanVIPDined on 4/10/2013Interesting food combos Nice wait staff but slow service
- Dumpster firedavec95818Dined on 4/5/2013this dinner turned into a dumpster fire. Lets start with- no hostess to greet or seat you, a lost reservation (done thru Open Table), servers literally running from tables to service areas, choppy service that found my entree arrive five minutes before my spouses', waitstaff stealing entrees from another order, no coordination of back and front of house, and a very weird floor plan. Going here anytime soon, no thanks I'll pass.......Special Features:
- very good middle eastern foodjimboDined on 4/5/2013very good middle eastern food and flavorings. we'll be back.Special Features:
- The stuffed poblano chilikargeeDined on 4/5/2013The stuffed poblano chili was one of the best dishes I've ever had!!Special Features:
- Utterly Unique CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013Gonul's cooking is utterly unique. Every meal is an unexpected delight, leaving you trying to analyze what made a certain sauce or combination so exquisite, and I can never quite put my finger on or identify what it was. Service is slow (they really need to hire a host or hostess), but try to overlook that and savor the food. Go with lots to talk about and enjoy each moment and each dish. You'll want to try them all. The breads are to die for!Special Features:
- The food was terrific. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2013The food was terrific. My only negative comment would be that the bread should be more freely available. We had to ask for extra bread and got a small portion. The bread and sauces, by the way, was great. This is a very good place with lots of variety on the menu.Special Features:
- We visited on Easter Sunday.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2013We visited on Easter Sunday. When we arrived, we were greeted and seated immediately-very nice on such a busy day. The brunch was a buffet ranging from eggs to short ribs. We loved all of it. The perserves, biscuits and the salad dressing were made by the chefs/owners of Trios. Most of the herbs, fruits and vegtables on the menu are grown at the restaurant. After brunch, we shopped at the restaurant store and bought seasoned olive oil, chocholate and dates-all of it was delicious. This was our first visit to Trios-can't wait to go back to try more.Special Features:
- Another Hit by GonulSactokarenVIPDined on 3/29/2013I had the pizzetta appetizer, which was fresh and tasty. I also had the carrot and avocado salad, but unfortunately, the avocados were bad, so mine were replaced with other yummy bites. It's a huge salad. My sweetie had the curried lentil soup (also a huge portion.) He loved it, but thought it was a bit mild on the curry seasoning. He also had the Zekiye appetizer; a Turkish Calzone of fingerling potatoes and mascarpone served with French Sorrell gratin. This is a very large portion to share as an appetizer or to eat as a main course. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Very disappointing -food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013Very disappointing -food and service were terrible.
- A total dining surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2013What a treat and total dining surprise! This Greek influenced menu is packed with great choices. We all had something different for lunch and enjoyed it all. I recommend the spicy warm chick salad. Not too spicy, fresh, healthy portions and delicious. The martket carries all kinds of fun spices, teas and backed goods. PS The wine bar is great and happy hour starts at 2pm if you want to try an appetizer for half price. – Tamie, SacramentoSpecial Features:
- I did not like the food orOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013I did not like the food or limited food options. I will not go back or recommend this restaurant
- Food was great, we sat fordeisyDined on 3/21/2013Food was great, we sat for a four course meal.. Although we were the only people at the restaurant. Maybe it was early. Overall good experienceSpecial Features: