401 13th Street
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tribunetavern.com/
- Phone: 5104528742
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Huw Thornton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Tribune Tavern
The Tribune Tavern is the latest venture from Chris Pastena of Chop Bar and Temoor Noor of Grand Tavern. A century ago, the Oakland Tribune used the tower’s ground floor as its “local room” —where reporters from different departments worked side by side and shared tips on the news of the day. It was a gathering spot for the great minds of Oakland, and a place where headlines were made. The Tribune Tavern will carry on that tradition—as a place for people to mingle over happy hour drinks, lunch meetings, or dinner—with authentic, nourishing comfort food that’s affordable enough for everyone to enjoy, and a bar stocked with the best locally-made beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tribune Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Tribune Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (33)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (29)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (22)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (15)hot spot (13)special occasion (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Disappointing, to say the leastFrenchRootsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Met a friend here for a late lunch. Place was half empty, and they brought us to a dank table in the back, after passing numerous nicer ones. We asked to be moved to the terrace, and they put us out side. Over the course of the meal, they brought us a salad that we had asked to have "without dressing" already dressed. The waitress spilled a bowl of olive oil and it dashed to the ground, spraying my lunch guest with Olive Oil, on her backpack, several articles of clothing . . . they were nice about it, but olive oil won't go away, so her items are ruined. Didn't wipe up the oil off the ground, either. Our food presented nicely . . . but simply was not good! Tomatoes tasteless and hard. All dishes poorly seasoned. DISAPPOINTING.
- Poor serviceDinerextraordinnaireDined on 7/25/2014Our server forgot to bring out an appetizer, two teas and a coke for our six person group. The worst part was that he never waited around to hear us finish telling him what we wanted when he took our order. My friend was still ordering and she turned around and he was gone. He literally just walked away. It was horrible.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotMlsfVIPDined on 7/21/2014I've visited Tribune Tavern for lunch several times and it's been consistently good. Service is attentive. They have a nice selection of salads and sandwiches, and the ambience is lively, but the noise level is such that you can talk/carry on a meeting easily.Special Features:
- Tasty food and drinkskoolDined on 7/16/2014Their happy hour extends to 7:00pm which is really nice. I love the fish and chips! The drinks are great.Special Features:
- great first impressionSteveTVIPDined on 7/5/2014I'd been wanting to try this place. not only is it a warm, contemporary setting, but the creative food and superb service exceeded any expectations I might have had. I'll be back... soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legit510DeliciousDined on 7/2/2014Love that we have another great spot in downtown Oakland. Awesome creative food, solid selection of cocktails and beers, probably great wine too, but not what I look for. Food really is excellent. Had a mixed greens salad and the lamb, both legit. On another trip I was here for brunch and had a burger and we shared the guilty fries both of which were awesome.Special Features:
- Solid Bar Style American GrubDMS111Dined on 6/21/2014Nice decor. Good menu. East Bay gem. Typical new-age pub fare, and all was delivered strong. Decent cocktail menu.Special Features:
- Gastropub worth visitingUCLASteveVIPDined on 6/16/2014Wonderful old building with a modern gastropub inside. Moderate selection of beers on tap, wine, and full bar complemented by an interesting new American menu on top of the standard burger and fries. Ended my meal with a plum sorbet that was the best I have ever tasted!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Food was disappointing. Our entree was cold when brought to the table. Bar was quite busy. Good selection of cocktsils and beer.Special Features:
- Great design, bad ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Went with a group of 12. The place had a very nice look and feel to it; however, the chairs were a little too high to easily adjust (I'm 6'1" so my coworkers were more bothered by this). Great atmosphere and can't say anything bad about the service. Don't get the ribs. All the other food seemed delicious but I chose ribs because before I ate them I had never been disappointed by ribs before. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a rib connoisseur but they were pretty bad. Small portion, small amount of meat, not much flavor or sauce and gave me a really bad stomach ache until I got home that night and took some Pepto. Would definitely try again and order something else but I should have listened to my coworker and not ordered that.Special Features:
- great overall very friendly servicejimkDined on 6/9/2014I really like the place and the service staff. Ambience is good, if a little noisy at cocktail time. I'm being picky to say that sometimes the food flavors don't work for me, it seems like the chef is trying so hard to differentiate the menu that the execution falls a little short. Perhaps I'm reacting to very unusual flavor pairings, so I want to stress that the quality of the food is excellent, it's the flavor combinations that sometimes put me off a bit. Overall a true asset in a wonderful downtown location.Oakland, we need to keep this one...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!JoelRDined on 6/7/2014Our first time at this restaurant and our meal and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oakland asset - Tower Tavernfood4lifeDined on 5/13/2014A fun eatery with an interesting menu and a food-serious staff. Cool environment. They are getting it right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning reuseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014The Tribune Tavern makes great use of the first floor space of the former newspaper headquarters one block from city center. Large corner windows make for great people watching. Noise level won't get in the way of conversation. Limited and quirky menu may be too foodie for downtown Oakland.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceAbbaZabbaDined on 5/11/2014Interesting menu, a mix of tendy bar snacks and comfort food. Unique cocktails, well crafted and delicious. I would definitely come back here just to get a drink. Great decor and a very laid back vibe.Special Features:
- Great PlaceGeoKooLDined on 5/9/2014This was my first time here and it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked the food, noise too muchwhomecookDined on 5/9/2014Sign of a successful restaurant must I suppose include the noise factor...too quiet and it's not a success...too noisy and folks like it. But it was hard to hear our conversation. I liked the food and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Biz lunch meeting possible hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The service is attentive, the food well made and the noise level well under control, making business conversation possible but private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch spot in Downtown OakJakeDined on 5/5/2014This is one of my favorite lunch spots in downtown Oakland. The food is usually quite good. I tried the cheeseburger for the first time and it was one of the best burgers I have ever had. It will be a tough choice in the future between it and the pork bell sandwich. Lots of choices for different palates with some interesting fare (house made sodas anyone?) Haven't had a bad experience in my 4-5 forays to this spot.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious, drool-worthy foodAmandaheartsDaveDined on 5/3/2014The food and service are fantastic. The manhattans: incredible! I can't wait to come back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I wanted it to be.LizEatsDined on 4/25/2014We were looking for a place for girl's night. Drinks, gossip, bad for you food. We say the Guilty fries on the menu, and decided in the Tavern. It's beautiful, the waitstaff was very attentive, and the food was wonderful. It was a little bit noisy, but Not so we couldn't hear each other across the table. We ate way too much, because all of it was wonderful. I have every intention of returning whenever I have an excuse.Special Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 4/22/2014The food was pretty good - we had a few appetizers to share and then each person had an entrée. The burgers were a little over-done, but the waitress was really nice about it. We were seated in the back so we had our own space, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 157 reviews are from the Tribune Tavern reviews archive.
- Mixed Tasty PlatePickyEaterDined on 4/21/2014I liked the selection of food choices and the taste of my burger and fries. The server did not ask to refill my drink maybe that is why they leave the water at the table. Nice setting. I have been there 3 times. Very busy at lunch. Suggest sitting in the back of the restaurant if you want to hear each other. In the front if you want the energy and great city vibe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindADMoDined on 4/18/2014We hadn't been here before but were pleasantly surprised with the food, service and ambiance. Food was very good pub fare. Good location before show at the Fox theatre.Special Features:
- Fun place, HEAVY foodtamdineVIPDined on 4/17/2014Tribune Tavern is an energetic place with a fun vibe that has been beautifully remodeled and is located in the heart of downtown Oakland. I appreciate the concept of revitalizing a historic Oakland landmark, and I really wanted to love the place; but the food - while tasty - is so HEAVY that I will probably wait a long while before braving a revisit. Even the salads were weighed down by fat. Surprisingly, the menu did not appear to offer a single healthful choice to offset the many deep-fried, heavily "cheesed," abundantly buttered, over-dressed, and generally fat laden items. Chefs: please just throw in one or two lighter choices and the place will be a winner.
- Decent But LoudHappyEaterVIPDined on 4/11/2014I've been wanting to check this place out since it opened and finally got the chance. I was looking forward to it, but I wasn't sure what to expect. I made reservations for two and when we arrived our table wasn't ready, so we sat at the bar to wait - and eventually ate at the bar. Funny, the gent who convinced us to stay at the bar said they were more attentive, would offer better service, etc., was not the person who served us (he also forgot about us till we called him out in good fun, of course). The food was OK; I prefer the food at Chop Bar. Chips and dip are too salty; wings are meh; and steak was good. The chips were cold and salty - lots of dip, not enough chips. The wings were huge and tasted OK, but it's not something I wouldSpecial Features:
- A gem in downtown OaklandSangoveseDined on 4/10/2014This was our second time at Tribune Tavern and it was just as wonderful as the first time. Excellent food, service and atmosphere. On the first visit we were with a group of 8 people and tried just about everything on the menu, everything was fantastic. On our second visit there was just 4 of us and we each ordered our own individual entrees, instead of sharing like the previous time. I was craving a hamburger and I must say, their hamburger had to be one of the best I have ever had. Spectacular, highly recommend it. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There IS a THERE, THEREserve2allVIPDined on 4/9/2014Wonderful new place in the Iconic Oakland Tribune building....had a GREAT birthday lunch w a number of surprising and creative dishes. The chicken spaetzl was delicious and those house fries A-1.Tavern Chowder delicious and the owner brought us two complimentary desserts for our celebration that were over the top (chocolate bread pudding with ice cream was inhaled by all of us.) A bit noisy but worth talking a bit louder, cause this place should not be missed. A unique German food slant on some things. Our lunch group ordered recommended sparkling wine that was perfect. So, Tribune Tavern proves there is a THERE, in Oakland...no matter what Gertrude Stein said!!! BRAVO to TRIBUNE TAVERN!!! We will be back!Special Features:
- A solid goodOaktownMommaDined on 4/2/2014Came here on the recommendation of a great burger. Our server was friendly and made an effort to get us drinks within the happy hour time frame. Food came out quickly as we asked because we had children with us. Guilty fries were great, chicken wings were okay, burger was good, ceaser salad was okay. Desserts were the best part of the meal: lemon bar and caramel cream. Ultimately waiting for the dessert and having to track down our waiter for the check turned into a much longer stay than we'd have liked. By 6:30 pm the noise in the restaurant was quite loud.
- I've been here several timesEllenVIPDined on 3/25/2014I've been here several times and have enjoyed the food . Don't know if there was a different cook but there were 3 of us and no one enjoyed their meal. Soggy grilled cheese sandwich , tasteless soup and cold fries
- A work in ProgressdmeisterVIPDined on 3/23/2014Overall a nice place, but the service was a bit off/slow even though our waiter was young and polite, he just didn't stop by to check in on us, and keep the experience moving along as one would expect. The food was good, just the kitchen was a bit slow, and the place wasn't even full. Just could have been an off night overall, but not sure I'd go back. They need to fine tune a few things and there is great potential for the place.
- Have been to this place twiceRingLeader1VIPDined on 3/23/2014Have been to this place twice now, and we have enjoyed it both times! Jessica is a very good server, and the food is very tasty. Tried the house cured trout appetizer this time, yum! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little short...ECCTDined on 3/22/2014A really cool ambiance, corner bar/restaurant, historic feel but jousts falls short with a limited menu. Great place to watch a sporting event but look elsewhere for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Once is more than enough...SashaDined on 3/22/2014Ambiance was bar like. Service needs work and food was random and uninspired. Noisy and felt sub par.. Website is much sleeker and inviting than the actual restaurant. A real disappointment unfortunately.
- Pretty good, but hamburgerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/20/2014Pretty good, but hamburger overcooked and fries soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to celebrate a birthdayJamieCDined on 3/18/2014Our friend was turning 50 so 4 of us went out together to Tribune Tavern to celebrate. Lively, sports bar atmosphere in the front, places to sit outside, interesting drinks and food, we sat towards the back where it was quieter but just as much fun. Our server Shannon was fantastic-making great recommendations and walking the fine line between overattentive and making sure we had whatever we wanted. I would thoroughly recommend Tribune Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Food & FunMzTeeDined on 3/16/2014My friend and I decided to dine at the Tribune Tavern for brunch. We're very pleased with our choice. Everything was great from the food, our waitperson, Jessica, who was great and had a wonderful personality to boot, the restaurant itself, the fabulous music, and seating on the patio which was perfect for us to take advantage of the great weather. We both had a wonderful time and were pleased to discover this gem of a restaurant in downtown Oakland. I'll definitely come back for dinner and will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spotNorCalNibblerDined on 3/15/2014I wanted to get together with former friends and colleagues from Oakland, and this was the ideal spot, being in the city's most recognizable building (and our former workplace). The reservation was easy to make; I got a confirmation the morning of and the event went off without a hitch. I liked the beer selection and everyone seemed content with their food selections. I just picked off of others' fries (which were great), but I can't rate the food other than that.Special Features:
- Salt Much?rb1384Dined on 3/11/2014Experience was bad, really bad. The place doesn't know what it wants to be: an interesting foodie joint, a sports bar, an evening stop on the way to somewhere else? Managed to get through cold, greasy potato chips, a nut mix that was more like nut pieces. Good front of house and waiter (Sara) and extensive beer and wine list (that was nearly impossible to read in the dim lighting). The food was, frankly, terrible. It was so heavily salted - on both the chicken pot pie that I had and the pork chop my friend had, that I wanted to send it back. Truly bad work by a kitchen and chef that doesn't trust the food. For $66 + $12 gratuity I would only recommend the Tavern to someone I that A) I didn't like and B) was never going to see again.
- Good food, bad servicefoody1Dined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent and tasted delicious. I had the fried chicken and my mouth was watering the whole time. Fries were a bit too salty though. The service was horrible. We kept wondering where our server was and she would disappear for a disproportionate amount of time.Special Features: