401 13th Street
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tribunetavern.com/
- Phone: (510) 452-8742
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Huw Thornton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Tribune Tavern
The Tribune Tavern is the latest venture from Chris Pastena of Chop Bar and Temoor Noor of Grand Tavern. A century ago, the Oakland Tribune used the tower’s ground floor as its “local room” —where reporters from different departments worked side by side and shared tips on the news of the day. It was a gathering spot for the great minds of Oakland, and a place where headlines were made. The Tribune Tavern will carry on that tradition—as a place for people to mingle over happy hour drinks, lunch meetings, or dinner—with authentic, nourishing comfort food that’s affordable enough for everyone to enjoy, and a bar stocked with the best locally-made beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tribune Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Tribune Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (26)hot spot (22)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (7)special occasion (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)Show More
- SPECTAcULAR!MF2013Dined on 11/21/2014The food was amazing! The guilty fries were SO good! We also had a mixed greens salad with pear, and BBQ ribs, as well as the nioki. It was all REALLY really good. The GM, Rob, was really great too. he gave us a little bak story on the restaurant and was really friendly. LOVED this place! Would DEF. go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Dinner - Great Service.fridaydinerDined on 11/14/2014Great service. We loved the Guilty Fries and the Happy Hour Margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Recommend Tribune TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014The cocktails were excellent thanks to the quality of the liquor they carry (i.e. High West vodka was outstanding) and the experienced bartenders. The food was equally outstanding (loved the chicken wings..in fact they were the best I have ever had, tuna tartare, salmon, and caesar). The only issue keeping me from rating the overall dining experience as outstanding was the service. We waited too long to get anyone's attention at the bar to clear our bill and once we were seated it took too long for the waiter to greet us, take our order, etc. It just seemed like there were overall delays in serving us throughout the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met ExpectationsRingoDined on 11/1/2014A terrific Caesar's salad, with real slices of anchovy and melt in the mouth cod for the fish and chips. Chips were good. A nice touch was the platter with ketchup and vinegar. Tartar sauce was a hit too. $27 for the two courses seemed reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level out of controlBeeeVIPDined on 11/1/2014This could be a good restaurant - the noise level at the restaurants busiest time and especially in the back of the restaurant was so intense tables seems to be having shouting match to hear one another. Food ok-to good, scallops were prepared perfectly, one of our group mentioned the roasted chicken was dry (even with leg thigh) beef pappardelle bolognese was good but spicier than necessary and no indication on the menu to expect a spicy dish. Service staff didn't view open table message that it was a special event (70th bday) for us and was unable to mange getting bread to the table. Chose this place for the historic setting but the restaurant decor was stripped of any historical features except the tin ceilings.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchPromisesDined on 10/29/2014We had a party of 9 to celebrate a birthday lunch. Overall the food was good, but a few of us thought that the Tavern Burger was smaller as compared with the last time we were there a few months back. Also, someone in our party asked if she can have fries instead of salad when she got her meal. She was not asked whether she wanted fries or salad with her meal. The waiter indicated to her that he would not charge her for it. Not till we got back to work was when we realized he charged us for the fries which we didn't know about. The charge would not have been that big a deal if the waiter didn't tell he would not charge then went ahead and charged us for it without letting us know. The Hushpuppies were pretty good.Special Features:
- Giants ManiacookingmdmomDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I went to Tribune Tavern to watch game 6 of the World Series. The bar menu is very good especially at Happy Hour ('till 7) and the main menu was fairly comprehensive. We are vegetarian/pescatarian and the kale salad and the fish and chips were really good. due to the game, the place was so loud we could hardly hear ourselves talk.Special Features:
- a place to meet and eatoaklandresDined on 10/26/2014I invited my SF friends to meet me here for brunch on a Sunday. They came on BART and walked only 1 block. None of the waiting and crowds you find at Jack London Square. We each enjoyed everything we ordered and especially the reggae music and casual non-rushed atmosphere. I would eat here again and would like to check out the after work scene some time.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014- Service tended to be a little slow. - I asked for the server for bread and with a table of 8 people, she brought bread only to me. - I ate at this restaurant at the end of last year and was looking forward to going back because of the bread that was served (a crispy, wafer-like bread). The bread I received at this trip was more of a sliced sour dough. I much preferred the bread I ate during my first trip to Tribune Tavern.Special Features:
- Nostalgic historic spotpickyeaterDined on 10/21/2014Very good food in a fun, historic place. I like the Tribune memorabilia in out-of-the way places. Nice experience overall. Blackened cod sandwich fine. Dessert memorable. Interesting cocktails. Close to 12th St. BART.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- campbellannieVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food started out OK-great Caesar salad- burger looked great as were the fries- but the braised short ribs were almost non exixtent- three teeny pieces of meat under a mound of greens little juice; and- they were tough and drydon't know how to ruin a short rib but they did. AND the cost was $25. Bolognese was unusual had shredded meat -just OK . Pricey and average- but seemd popular for young bargoers.hSpecial Features:
- Great findDCtoSFDined on 10/10/2014Tribune was recommended by a local and she was right! We sat outside, enjoyed a little people watching, but really loved the cocktails and the menu. Our server, Jessica F, was fantastic and would certainly draw me back to the restaurant to explore more of the menu. No need to cross the bridge to find creative cocktails and well executed food dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014We sat outside, and were well attended by our waiter who even reminded us of the time since we had told him when we needed to leave for a show at the Paramount. Mussels were fabulous!Special Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 10/5/2014It was my first time here for brunch. A nice atmosphere to watch the games and eat and drink their wicked Bloody Mary. I got the guilty breakfast, which was a bit too guilty/heavy to start the day with. We enjoyed the shrimp and grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotoaktownfoodieDined on 8/27/2014Tasty food, attentive service and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Dinner out with MomaweissDined on 8/22/2014My mom was visiting from out of town and doesn't get to go to many "foodie" places where she lives. I took her here and she loved everything! She was able to try sea beans and truffle mashed potatoes, which she had never had before. I had the lamb shank that was served on top of a bean and snap pea ragout. The lamb was fall off the bone tender. There beer and wine selection was good and they made a great dirty gin martini according to my mom. Our server was attentive and answered all the questions we had. This wasn't my first time here and they have been consistent each time I've been.Special Features:
- Hit and MissDannyDined on 8/19/2014The food is pretty good for a bar fair. The food consistency is not there. The first time the Guilty Fries were spot on – the cheese sauce was not broken, the fries were hot and crispy, and the pulled pork was moist. The second and third time were bad: cheese sauce broken, the fries soggy, and pulled pork with pieces and bits of dry hardness. Had steak one time, asked for medium, came back medium well – had another refired to rare. Server didn’t believe me and I had to cut the steak in front of him. If he’s going to question me, he should be the one eating it and paying for it. The service is not attentive – except when they want you out. The drinks are good and plentiful. Overall, it’s still a fun place but with areas for improvement.Special Features:
- Disappointing, to say the leastFrenchRootsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Met a friend here for a late lunch. Place was half empty, and they brought us to a dank table in the back, after passing numerous nicer ones. We asked to be moved to the terrace, and they put us out side. Over the course of the meal, they brought us a salad that we had asked to have "without dressing" already dressed. The waitress spilled a bowl of olive oil and it dashed to the ground, spraying my lunch guest with Olive Oil, on her backpack, several articles of clothing . . . they were nice about it, but olive oil won't go away, so her items are ruined. Didn't wipe up the oil off the ground, either. Our food presented nicely . . . but simply was not good! Tomatoes tasteless and hard. All dishes poorly seasoned. DISAPPOINTING.
- Just too noisy.CamelotDined on 7/31/2014This was a nice spot in downtown Oakland. Food was good, but we weren't prepared for the noise level at happy hour.Special Features:
- The following 178 reviews are from the Tribune Tavern reviews archive.
- Poor serviceDinerextraordinnaireDined on 7/25/2014Our server forgot to bring out an appetizer, two teas and a coke for our six person group. The worst part was that he never waited around to hear us finish telling him what we wanted when he took our order. My friend was still ordering and she turned around and he was gone. He literally just walked away. It was horrible.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotMlsfVIPDined on 7/21/2014I've visited Tribune Tavern for lunch several times and it's been consistently good. Service is attentive. They have a nice selection of salads and sandwiches, and the ambience is lively, but the noise level is such that you can talk/carry on a meeting easily.Special Features:
- Tasty food and drinkskoolDined on 7/16/2014Their happy hour extends to 7:00pm which is really nice. I love the fish and chips! The drinks are great.Special Features:
- great first impressionSteveTVIPDined on 7/5/2014I'd been wanting to try this place. not only is it a warm, contemporary setting, but the creative food and superb service exceeded any expectations I might have had. I'll be back... soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legit510DeliciousDined on 7/2/2014Love that we have another great spot in downtown Oakland. Awesome creative food, solid selection of cocktails and beers, probably great wine too, but not what I look for. Food really is excellent. Had a mixed greens salad and the lamb, both legit. On another trip I was here for brunch and had a burger and we shared the guilty fries both of which were awesome.Special Features:
- Solid Bar Style American GrubDMS111Dined on 6/21/2014Nice decor. Good menu. East Bay gem. Typical new-age pub fare, and all was delivered strong. Decent cocktail menu.Special Features:
- Gastropub worth visitingUCLASteveVIPDined on 6/16/2014Wonderful old building with a modern gastropub inside. Moderate selection of beers on tap, wine, and full bar complemented by an interesting new American menu on top of the standard burger and fries. Ended my meal with a plum sorbet that was the best I have ever tasted!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Food was disappointing. Our entree was cold when brought to the table. Bar was quite busy. Good selection of cocktsils and beer.Special Features:
- Great design, bad ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Went with a group of 12. The place had a very nice look and feel to it; however, the chairs were a little too high to easily adjust (I'm 6'1" so my coworkers were more bothered by this). Great atmosphere and can't say anything bad about the service. Don't get the ribs. All the other food seemed delicious but I chose ribs because before I ate them I had never been disappointed by ribs before. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a rib connoisseur but they were pretty bad. Small portion, small amount of meat, not much flavor or sauce and gave me a really bad stomach ache until I got home that night and took some Pepto. Would definitely try again and order something else but I should have listened to my coworker and not ordered that.Special Features:
- great overall very friendly servicejimkVIPDined on 6/9/2014I really like the place and the service staff. Ambience is good, if a little noisy at cocktail time. I'm being picky to say that sometimes the food flavors don't work for me, it seems like the chef is trying so hard to differentiate the menu that the execution falls a little short. Perhaps I'm reacting to very unusual flavor pairings, so I want to stress that the quality of the food is excellent, it's the flavor combinations that sometimes put me off a bit. Overall a true asset in a wonderful downtown location.Oakland, we need to keep this one...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!JoelRDined on 6/7/2014Our first time at this restaurant and our meal and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oakland asset - Tower Tavernfood4lifeDined on 5/13/2014A fun eatery with an interesting menu and a food-serious staff. Cool environment. They are getting it right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning reuseNoiseDined on 5/12/2014The Tribune Tavern makes great use of the first floor space of the former newspaper headquarters one block from city center. Large corner windows make for great people watching. Noise level won't get in the way of conversation. Limited and quirky menu may be too foodie for downtown Oakland.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceAbbaZabbaDined on 5/11/2014Interesting menu, a mix of tendy bar snacks and comfort food. Unique cocktails, well crafted and delicious. I would definitely come back here just to get a drink. Great decor and a very laid back vibe.Special Features:
- Great PlaceGeoKooLDined on 5/9/2014This was my first time here and it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked the food, noise too muchwhomecookDined on 5/9/2014Sign of a successful restaurant must I suppose include the noise factor...too quiet and it's not a success...too noisy and folks like it. But it was hard to hear our conversation. I liked the food and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Biz lunch meeting possible hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The service is attentive, the food well made and the noise level well under control, making business conversation possible but private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch spot in Downtown OakJakeDined on 5/5/2014This is one of my favorite lunch spots in downtown Oakland. The food is usually quite good. I tried the cheeseburger for the first time and it was one of the best burgers I have ever had. It will be a tough choice in the future between it and the pork bell sandwich. Lots of choices for different palates with some interesting fare (house made sodas anyone?) Haven't had a bad experience in my 4-5 forays to this spot.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious, drool-worthy foodAmandaheartsDaveDined on 5/3/2014The food and service are fantastic. The manhattans: incredible! I can't wait to come back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I wanted it to be.LizEatsDined on 4/25/2014We were looking for a place for girl's night. Drinks, gossip, bad for you food. We say the Guilty fries on the menu, and decided in the Tavern. It's beautiful, the waitstaff was very attentive, and the food was wonderful. It was a little bit noisy, but Not so we couldn't hear each other across the table. We ate way too much, because all of it was wonderful. I have every intention of returning whenever I have an excuse.Special Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 4/22/2014The food was pretty good - we had a few appetizers to share and then each person had an entrée. The burgers were a little over-done, but the waitress was really nice about it. We were seated in the back so we had our own space, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.