190 1st Ave.
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.treebistro.com/
- Phone: 2123587171x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: between 11th and12th st
- Public Transit: Take L train to 1st ave., 6 train to astor place, R/W trains to 8th/NYU, M15 uptown bus to 1st ave./11th st., M15 downtown bus to 2nd ave./12th st.
and M8 cross-town bus on 8th st. to 1st ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On-street public parking available on 1st ave. directly outside. Parking garage located on 11th st. between 1st ave. & 2nd ave. 1 minute walk.
A word from tree bistro
tree bistro serves thoughtfully prepared bistro fare in a casual friendly atmosphere, from small plate charcuterie delights to delectable standards like steamed PEI mussels or steak frites with parmesan truffle fries, along with a full and eclectic seasonal menu. A well rounded wine list, draft and bottled beers, cheese plates and great desserts are also available (don't miss the fried oreo!). Guests can eat in the intimate dining room for a cozy meal, or in the more expansive canopied walled garden - an enchanting secret spot in the heart of the city. The garden is also a great festive space for private parties. Open Tuesday thru Thursday 5-11 pm, Friday & Saturday 5 pm -midnight, delivery service available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
tree bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (10)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Beautiful setting, decent foodJayLinnDined on 8/27/2014If you eat at Tree, ask to sit outside! They have a beautiful private patio that looks like it's from an Anthropologie catalog. Not what you'd expect at this little corner of the East Village. While the ambiance was great, the food was only ok. The winners were (surprisingly) the zucchini carpaccio and beet risotto; the seafood risotto, flatbread, steak and chicken were overly salty. I don't know if was an off-night or if the vegetarian food is just better :) They advertise themselves as gluten-free friendly, but apparently some things weren't labeled properly and did have gluten. The waitress also brought our gluten-free and regular bread in the same basket ... which sort of defeats the purpose ... All things said, I would go back!Special Features:
- Just rightEricDined on 8/21/2014What a great spot. The garden is wonderful. We both had the steak frites—amazing. Plus, they had gluten free bread, which they toasted perfectly. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Good food, limited menuPMNYCVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had dinner with a group here at the weekend. The outdoor area is nice but there is a tent over it and it does not fold back - it was such a beautiful evening that the temperature would have been lovely with the breeze outside but we needed to have a huge fan on inside the tent to be comfortable. The tables are a mixture of sizes. Our table was very tight for the group that was there and the chairs were not very comfortable. The food was quite good. We shared a few appetizers. The house salad was delicious with a mustard vinaigrette. The grilled octopus was tasty. The mussels came as a large portion and were very popular. The service was great and the staff was very nice. A more comfortable setting would have made it better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/10/2014I was happy to return to Tree Bistro. We sat in the garden and it was wonderful. The food is always very, very good and our service was perfect. The two gals that were our servers were great. Can't wait to return. I have nothing to say other than it was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service;Food disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Nothing special and undercooked meat, Brussel sprouts and zucchini fritters. Not crowded so no reason kitchen couldn't take the time to get it right. Though would still expect completed meal even if a full house. Would still rerurn as nice venue- would just be more particular about the order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 326 reviews are from the tree bistro reviews archive.
- great menu, attentive andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014great menu, attentive and kind staff, and very charming restaurant. will go back again!Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner done right!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014I took my fiance to Tree Bistro for his birthday. The garden room was closed, which disappointed me because it would have been much more lovely to eat in that location. The high vaulted ceilings with tin ceiling tiles made the ambient noise louder than I think it actually was, but we were able to have a wonderful conversation accented by the live singer and guitarist duo that were performing that night. The music they chose was old-timey and romantic and it was at the perfect level to a) hear them and b) maintain conversing with your dinner-mate. We ordered the 3 item tasting plate and was instantly blown away by how good the food was. I ordered the rabbit stew entree, which is possibly the best rabbit stew on the planet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KBelaDined on 3/26/2014The restaurant was cute and had a nice ambiance. Went there with some friends and had a pretty good meal. Despite being a tad overpriced the menu offered lots of interesting options, which was great. Good for a nice quiet dinner with friends or someone special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty good. We bothOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Food was pretty good. We both got steaks and they were both overcooked just a tad, but nothing to cause a fuss over. Very small portions, so a bit overpriced in my opinion. We were seated right near the window, which was good and bad. We had our own private little booth area right next to the window which was nice, but it was right next to the door. So people coming in and waiting to be seated were hovering near our table. Other than that I was pleased. Staff was friendly and the patrons all seemed really nice as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful Valentine's DayloveitDined on 2/14/2014The 3 course dinner is really good. This is our first Valentine's Day, and my girlfriend and I really enjoy the dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising place with a veryFoodhunterVIPDined on 2/1/2014Surprising place with a very nice staff and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Perfect!fabulousmealVIPDined on 12/3/2013This was the place for our first date over 5 years ago and every time we come here the food, service and ambiance are just perfect. We love it and think others will too…. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Thanksgiving for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2013My girlfriend and I enjoyed a delicious thanksgiving meal for 2 in the back patio. We each were served our choice of a three course meal: butternut squash soup, turkey with cranberry sauce, stuffing, string beans and sweet potato mash, and the chocolate mousse and pumpkin flan. The presentation and the favors were spot on. We had the patio to ourselves which was romantic, but unfortunately the reason we did was because one of the heaters were broken and it was cold, but we insisted on having our privacy. Staff was friendly and welcoming. Highly recommend. I'd like to return soon and try their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did everyone go?LexLieslDined on 10/11/2013We ate at Tree at 8 pm on a Friday evening when the East Village was bustling with people. The lovely outdoor seating area was about half full. The indoor restaurant was deserted. We were the only table in the room. The menu was surprisingly limited; we had expected bistro type of menu, but it was Americanized and had little other than two specials. It felt like a restaurant about to close. We were puzzled. But we did enjoy that we didn't have to shout over ambient noise.Special Features:
- Fair quality for price.WantonWontonDined on 7/13/2013Steak was to be expected for that price. Pretty ok overall.Special Features:
- Bastille day specialHammertimeDined on 7/13/2013Overall the saving grace of the place is the ambiance. Food is a bit overpriced for what is delivered. Waitstaff is professional but nothing to write home about. Came here for the Bastille day special. Nothing really wrong with the place just nothing worth making me come back without a deal of some sort.Special Features:
- A Welcome SpotDossieVIPDined on 7/11/2013The welcome is warm. Eating on the roofed space overlooking a garden with a sky view is surprisingly noisy. Will try the bar next time! Food is well prepared but overly salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, nice settingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2013Tree was what I expected in terms of the decor, not everything else. The place is real homely and the back garden is quite a nice addition. The food was good and the waiter was extremely nice and chatty. She was always attentive and courteous. The buzz is well deserved and I shall be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adorable and deliciousMegluvsfoodDined on 5/29/2013At the top of my list for amazing hidden gem for summer dining! Incredible patio, amazing and inventive foodSpecial Features:
- The noise in the backyardShannamVIPDined on 5/21/2013The noise in the backyard is quite loud. It was hard to talk to my dinner partner. The food took and extremely long time to come and we had to ask for bread twice, they did not simply offer the bread. Once the food came it was quite good but honesty the weight was so long it would have been nice if they offered us another glass of wine and at the very least made sure that we had bread.
- East Village gardenNycfoodyDined on 5/21/2013Food was good the fried goat cheese was overly greasy. The outside garden is very pleasant in the usual hustle of NY LESSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantMargsVIPDined on 5/15/2013Nice neighborhood restaurant with a lovely outdoor patio and delicious menu. Friendly staff, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/27/2013What a great neighborhood find! Everything I had heard about Tree was true...great, personable service; lovely garden; and most important, a true food find! Will be back again soon.Special Features:
- We made a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/16/2013We made a last minute reservation for a large party and found the restaurant to be very accomodating when we wanted to increase the reservation. The food was good but the real gem here is the service. We even got to play with the owner's emmy which was a real treat. I highly recommend this restaurant. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Friendly French confort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/7/2013What a great neighbourhood find. Geuninely friendly service. Great French comfort food. Loved my duck meatloaf and my partner's rabbit. Truffle fries were yummy too. Their winter garden closes on weekdays but can't wait to go during Spring.Special Features:
- Got a gift certificate sonewyorkiesDined on 1/12/2013Got a gift certificate so tried it. The food was salty. Lots of fried foods. Tried to be creative. Nice staff. The salmon was actually delicious and I'd recommend it. My guy had rabbit and thought it was ok but salty and the garlic was intense. I suppose it was the appetizers that really didn't do it. The brussel sprouts were no good. Stick to unfried food and simple fare. They make some kind of fancy flat bread or something. We didn't order it. Maybe the brunch is better.Special Features:
- A real find in New York City.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/14/2012A real find in New York City. The owner and staff made it feel like an evening at a friend's house....a friend with great kitchen skills! THey are very attentive to special diets, particularly gluten free...even have gluten free bread and desserts.Special Features:
- My group of four came hereOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/1/2012My group of four came here on a Saturday night at 9pm. I was expecting it to be packed, but it wasn't. In fact, there was no one around when we walked in. After a few minutes a hostess/waitress came and gave us the table in the window (which was super cute). We waited again for about 5-10 minutes before they realized they hadn't given us menus or taken our drink order. After they brought us our wine and we were finally able to order they apologized for the service and explained that they had a 25-pp party in the back. We felt much better after that because at least there was a reason for the service being so bad. There were a few more hiccups after that, but the food was delicious and they made up for it with a round of drinks.
- Nightmare dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/17/2012Never eat here. Ever. The chef is an amateur: the french onion soup tasted like warm dishwater; the fried calamari had a nice sauce, but it was all tops and very few rings; the steak "topped with garlic butter" was over cooked and the garlic butter consisted of little more than raw garlic (the frites, however, were good); the creme brulee was a thick layer of burnt caramel with very little creme. I can't help but wonder what's going on in that kitchen. And that was just for the food they had in stock. Two of the 5 entrees were out of stock on a Saturday night--and the place was not busy. Come on. This is NYC. What were you thinking? The only redeeming menu item: The deep fried Oreos. But how can you go wrong with fried or O
- Tree Me Daddio!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2012What a gem of a dining find! My wife and I are so happy we stumbled into this delightful and delicious East Village bistro. The atmosphere was warm, welcoming and unassuming. The staff was courteous and attentive without hovering or being pushy. We were seated in the gorgeous back garden (which I highly recommend - although the cozy interior looked fascinating with its time-crafted sculptures of melted candles). Food was fantastic without breaking the bank. Eclectic and informed wine list. Can't recommend this place enough! We are definitely going back the next time we find ourselves in NYC and bringing friends...Special Features:
- a little bit of greenery wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2012a little bit of greenery was just the oasis we needed. service and food were great. thanks, tree. we'll come again.Special Features:
- Overall, it was an okay venueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012Overall, it was an okay venue for us as a big group but the food and service left much to be desired. The food was bland and didn't have any flavor to it. The service was friendly but extremely slow. The live band was great but at times very too loud and you could barely hear the person sitting next to you.
- Staff were awesome, were patientOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2012Staff were awesome, were patient with us and let us enjoy our evening outside. Great night!Special Features:
- Food is good, not wonderful;JustFolksVIPDined on 8/18/2012Food is good, not wonderful; but the lovely ambiance, service, and everything else more than make up for it!Special Features:
- Mussels were delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/18/2012Mussels were delicious and the service was terrific. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful evening.EsclownVIPDined on 8/15/2012We had a wonderful evening. Great wine and food. Lovely outdoor garden and fantastic service. We will return soon.Special Features:
- Spot on!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012Can't say enough great things about Tree. Food was spot on and the wine pairings that the server suggested were as well. The Zuchinni Carpaccio with the Sancerre was amazing! Beautiful garden out back that was very romantic. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- The zucchini carpaccio wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2012The zucchini carpaccio was outstanding, but Salmon was definitely overcooked despite specific instructions to the chef requesting rare to medium rare.Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2012Great atmosphere and pretty garden. The live music set the ambiance and at the perfect volume to enjoy, but not overpower conversation (and we were right next to them) The food was good, solid, but somehow just missed the mark slightly. Overall, we really enjoyed our evening and I would recommend The Tree as a nice place to dine, but I wouldn't class the food in my top recommendations for NYC.Special Features:
- Awful bread. Very good frenchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2012Awful bread. Very good french fries. Poor steak. Was during French week, so I'm sure they pumped out a lot of them; but I wouldn't pay $15 dollars for this steak frites, let alone the $23 I ended up paying after tip/tax (and *certainly* not the $30 that it typically is when all is said and done). Nice ambiance in the garden, but not nice enough to make me forget about the steak.