1417 University Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.treporcellini.net/
- Phone: 6192949201
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
Tre Porcellini specialties include "Mac & Cheese" Risotto, ossobuco ravioli with red wine reduction sauce and Trio Porcellini - a combination of a pork shoulder roast, a pork chop and glazed pork belly. Tre Porcellini's wine list boasts over 50 wines from Italy, Spain, Chile and California. Homemade desserts include hearty-portioned Tiramisu and Sicilian Cannoli.
Today's Three Little Pigs (Italian for "Tre Porcellini") have built their house of brick on the firm foundation of delicious food, friendly atmosphere and modern décor.
- The food and service wereBobTVIPDined on 6/17/2012The food and service were great but if you are looking for a fancy place, this isn't it. Instead, go for the food. The wine list is limited but there are a few nice ones on the list.Special Features:
- The fresh bread and tomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2012The fresh bread and tomato basil bruscetta dip (served free to every table) was so tasty we finished it off in minutes and were served another portion right away. The chianti paired well with the stuffed chicken dish and the pasta, made fresh on site was divine. everything had a homemade taste to it. Would go back if I was in that area.Special Features:
- Cold food and poor curb appealporcheflipflopVIPDined on 5/26/2012Despite the friendly service the food was lackluster...mine arrived cold and everything was served much too quickly on the heels of our appetizer. My fellow diner had bolognese that didn't taste freshly made. Nothing was bad; but nothing was great. In addition, this restaurant has serious lack of curb appeal. The front doorway, with neon sign, a cheap specials banner, and a view into an empty bar decorated with tacky white christmas lights, leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. I wonder how many people have walked right by assuming it was a cheap take out place. It was our second time to dine here and definitely our last. With so many other choices out there it's not worth a revisit.
- We took a large group of collegeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012We took a large group of college athletes and the experience could not have been better (unless, of course, the food had been free!) Everyone was happy with the food and the quantities. The waitstaff were extremely attentive and entertaining.Special Features:
- The food was quite good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2012The food was quite good. This was our 2nd visit. There will be more. It is fairly close to The Old Globe theaters, and the food it much better than, for e.g., the Prado.Special Features:
- better than gaslamp restaurantsPattyDined on 3/19/2012Pasta dishes and sauces were excellent. Calamari was fresh. Delightful pear salad. Red sauce was luscious. Wine selection is limited but we enjoyed a nice white blend. Prices were reasonable. We're in town for a meeting and this was the best meal we had - surpassed all the gaslamp restaurants we dined at over the past 5 days. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Food seemed a little under-spiced.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2012Food seemed a little under-spiced. The noodles should have been cooked about one more minute. Hardly any meat in the noodle dishes. Service by the women was good, but the one guy had a "do I really have to be here?" attitude. Black & white decor was good, but some sound absorbing accoustics are needed.
- Our experience started offHaleyDined on 3/10/2012Our experience started off a little slow (there seemed to be only one server for the whole restaurant) but once she came around she was great! They were out of the wine that we ordered so we were offered a nice upgrade which turned out to be delicious. My boyfriend and I both enjoyed our meals, though my spinach was on the salty side (which I mentioned to our waitress who was genuine in her offer to tell the kitchen). Order the tiramisu though, it is fantastic!
- Subpar ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012Waitress didn't check on us once, forgot to bring us bread when we sat down, forgot again after we asked her for it. They were playing some pretty loud music and every other song skipped for 15 seconds until they turned it off. They didn't seem prepared to have people in there for dinner that night.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012The food was good, but not anything that would make me want to come back. The service was just fair. The place is noisy; definitely not cozy or romantic. I was hoping for more on Valentine's Day.
- Romantic Valentine's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012We thoroughly enjoyed a very romantic Valentine's Day dinner. The ambiance was set perfectly. The tango dancers did an outstanding job of combining the romance of the dance, with the playfulness of interacting with patrons and staff. The place was full, but didn't feel cramped or rushed. The food was also wonderfully delicious....yum! It made our night.Special Features:
- Took my wife here for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012Took my wife here for Valentine's Day. Dinner was pretty good. The Tango dancers were fun.Special Features:
- Very attentive staff - foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012Very attentive staff - food was wonderful - have recommended it to others.Special Features:
- If you've just come back fromcoipticDined on 1/11/2012If you've just come back from Italy and are missing some real Italian food, you have to come here. They have a great variety of pasta dishes and a killer happy hour special--$1 house wine!--all with really friendly, attentive servers. You can't go wrong with anything here.Special Features:
- Food wasn't that good. PastaMichcrdwVIPDined on 12/31/2011Food wasn't that good. Pasta was cold and not cooked all the way through.
- Authentic Italian cuisine...waitperJandKandCanadiansDined on 12/30/2011Authentic Italian cuisine...waitperson and hostess included!Special Features:
- Food was fine, though notOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/16/2011Food was fine, though not overly special. Very quiet for a Friday evening (three tables including ours). Waiter not terribly enthusiastic, maybe because he had so little business. A very decent neighborhood spot, nice contemporary interior, moderately priced entrees, OK wine list, but needs more activity. Neighborhood eateries like this are well worth supporting, so hopefully others will give it a boost. OpenTable AND Passport Dining friendly.
- Chicken Marsala and Mac &OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/1/2011Chicken Marsala and Mac & Cheese Rissotto - yum - bread is outstanding as is the house red. We let the waiter know that we needed to leave to go to the symphony at a certain time and he made sure it happened and we didn't feel rushed.Special Features:
- Delicious food an lovely,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Delicious food an lovely, hip ambiance. A great experience.Special Features:
- Wonderfully surprised. I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2011Wonderfully surprised. I was hesitant at first becauset the name suggested big "meat" ( Three Pigs) but what I found was a superbly wonderful Italian contemporary spot with AMAZING food. Try it for sure !!!Special Features:
- Tre Porcellini is a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2011Tre Porcellini is a wonderful addition to the Hillcrest dining scene. The food was incredible and reasonably priced. And quantity...we each had enough left to have leftovers for lunch the following day. The wait staff was a little "in the weeds", but they were aware of it and made sure that we knew we weren't forgotten. Probably my only suggestion would be that they try to find a way to make it just a tad bit quieter, by adding some fabric or other noise absorbing material. My mother is in town and I'd love to take her there, but have ruled it out because of the noise level. Other than that, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try!Special Features:
- Some food was overcooked,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011Some food was overcooked, and some was under cooked. All tables had bottles of water on their table except for us. We kept having to ask for more water. The booths did not fit with the decor.Special Features:
- Food was fine, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2011Food was fine, not great. Service friendly but disjointed and slow. Room is noisy, decor is modern but unfinished. No plans to go back.
- Perfecto! Modern! Delightful! ...aFoodiesVIPDined on 10/31/2011Perfecto! Modern! Delightful! ...a little bit of Italy in San DiegoSpecial Features:
- Delightful CarpacciolaughlicVIPDined on 10/22/2011Very happy with EVERYTHING we ordered. The fried artichoke, carpaccio and nutella crepes were a perfect combination. I enjoy eating anti pasti menu vice the large primi menu. Of Note: Beer and wine only.Special Features:
- Hostess was *very rude* (Hence,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2011Hostess was *very rude* (Hence, the one star). Server and busboy were friendly, polite, and competent. I informed the server that I was in a hurry and he was very attentive to this fact. Food was excellent. My only concern is that the place was empty on a Sunday evening. Decor was modern/chic but not very warm.Special Features:
- The food was amazing and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2011The food was amazing and the staff was friendly. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Staff members are friendlyBillDined on 10/5/2011Staff members are friendly & efficient; food is very good; ambiance is not special--a neighborhood "drop in" place.
- Special Menu Night a DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2011We have been to Tre Porcellini several times, but this time was for their special menu evening. The special menu is a limited menu, and highlights traditional (and/or historic) Italian dishes. The food was better than ever. We also enjoyed the stories behind the menu, and how each ingredient was native to Italy and how the flavors were chosen to balance the dish. Once again, Tre Porcellini proved to be a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- We enjoyed dining at Tre PorcelliniOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2011We enjoyed dining at Tre Porcellini. The calamari was good; the salad with pears was light, fresh and beautifully dressed; the carbonara was delicious but rich (good to share); and the special seafood risotto was good, loaded with seafood but it could have used a little lighter sauce. The service was friendly and attentive and the wine that was recommended was delicious. We will dine there again.Special Features:
- We went on relatively quietterpsichoreDined on 9/7/2011We went on relatively quiet Wednesday evening. No crowds. All the other restaurant guests were on the sidewalk patio, so we had the restaurant to ourselves. We had very attentive service and the menu recommendations were excellent. Portions were great. I had enough of the pollo ai carciofi for a second meal. Took it home and it ended up being lunch for my husband who said that it was excellent as leftovers, so it must have been awesome when I had it for dinner. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Good homemade pasta. AffordableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2011Good homemade pasta. Affordable and tasty. We were pleased
- Our group of five had a greatjosegsdDined on 7/27/2011Our group of five had a great meal with attentive service. From start to finish, I'm glad we finally tried Tre Porcellini. Definitely going back!!Special Features:
- Casually elegant with sincereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2011Casually elegant with sincere and polite servers. The menu selections were creative and some even daring (strawberry risotto with shrimp). The restaurant has a good vibe and great aesthetic.Special Features:
- Tre Procellini - best in HillcrestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2011Tre Porcellini is the best restaurant in Hillcrest. We have eaten there several times now, and have never had a bad experience. The food is very good, and the staff is wonderful. We take all our friends there now and would high recommend it.Special Features:
- Excellent authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011Excellent authentic Italian cuisine, served in generous portions. Great presentation and food quality. PArking mayu be a challenge at prime time, but this is a place worth walking a short block to.Special Features:
- After all the glowing reviews,DateniteDinnerVIPDined on 7/9/2011After all the glowing reviews, I was expecting a real "wow" experience. The pear salad didn't look fresh, the walnuts were stale, the gorgonzola was of poor quality. While the pasta itself was nice, the creamy tomato sauce was ordinary. We didn't bother to stay for dessert. As for ambiance, there wasn't any. All that being said, the service was extraordinary. We couldn't ask for nicer, more accommodating service.
- Excellent menu and food. AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2011Excellent menu and food. Ambiance could have been more intimate for the quality of the food and service, but overall, it was outstanding.Special Features:
- The finest Italian food weStreakDined on 7/2/2011The finest Italian food we are yet to experience in San Diego. Home made al dente pasta, great tastes and great presentation. We had the Masala dish, vodka pasta, penne, bruschetta , risotto all of which were excellent.Special Features:
- I had a great time! THe staffJess9641Dined on 6/27/2011I had a great time! THe staff was very friendly and the service was excellent. I had trouble deciding between one of the specials and the trio porcellini, but my server recommended the trio and I'm so happy that's what I ordered! It was delicious.Special Features: