1408 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.treotto.com/
- Phone: 2128608880
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast, Monday-Friday: 7:00am-12:00pm
Lunch, Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner, Sunday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Sicilian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Fraterrigo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Every SATURDAY, please join Tre Otto for our special Fall Prefix LUNCH MENU. 3 COURSES-$35 per person. SERVED FROM 12-5PM!!!!
A word from Tre Otto
Tre Otto is a trattoria, or eating house, that offers stunning, authentic Italian food for lunch and dinner, prepared by Chef Salvatore Fraterrigo. His creations are distinctive in their attention to the simplest detail. He believes in genuine food based on updated classic recipes and the importance of using only the finest ingredients. The dining room can accommodate 40 people with an additional 25 in our seasonal outdoor garden. Tre Otto's ambience eludes any single definition or time period. Both inviting and intimate, it is stripped of the predictable. Here, you will experience a dining occasion that ends with a plan and a vow to return again and again...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tre Otto reviews from OpenTable diners
- Went to meet a client forTrueFoodieDined on 7/24/2013Went to meet a client for lunch. Experienced a longer than typical wait. The wait staff had some trouble communicating, as English possibly wasn't their native tongue. When the food came out, the portions were rather small, but the food was seasoned good. The atmosphere was rather dark and rustic. I'm not sure that I would return, but overall my experience was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Quintessential Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013Tre Otto gave us everything we wanted. The staff was super-pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was delicious. It's a favorite of a friend of mine, but it was my first time. I can definitely see why it's a neighborhood go-to spot.Special Features:
- worth travelling to...janettnycVIPDined on 7/5/2013This is a Carnegie Hill gem that is worth traveling to. I had a lovely dinner there -- everything was quite good: wine list, food and service. Prices are reasonable which is very nice for that neighborhood. They make pasta ala Norma very well > and I know about this dish as I learned to make it while taking cooking class in Sicily. I look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SicilianKate47Dined on 6/25/2013The Rigatoni alla Norma was really good, as was the pasta Trapanese and rucola and apple salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miffed by serviceMydine2VIPDined on 6/20/2013Husband didn't get wine. When reminded, and after food was already served, no one brought it. Waiter spent five to ten minutes allowing another couple to taste wines, and only after that brought wine. Also the so-called wild mushrooms tasted like they came out of a can.
- Upper East Side Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2013We had a lovely lunch after visiting the Museo del Barrio (also worth going to). The grilled Octopus was excellent.Special Features:
- so so restaurantamazingVIPDined on 6/19/2013I know the menu by heart & was upset that I could not get lasagna at lunch. How can you say its only a dinner item. The food is suppose to be fresh so why should I have to wait 2 more hours for dinner. Bad customer service. The food is just ok. The pasta at island is much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful salads, specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2013delightful salads, special and unique fresh pasta dishes, paninis and desserts are wonderful. Very well priced. Don't miss the pasta with duck comfit raguSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- severly understaffedwaffleVIPDined on 6/12/2013one, sometimes two waiters dealing with a full garden. this is the second time we've had to wait too, too long. the food is good but it will be a while before we return.Special Features:
- great local gem!Eddie655Dined on 6/6/2013The food.and service.in this local.gem.was.excsllent.! I highly recommend tbis eatery as a good.date place, romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was great as alwaysanb3309VIPDined on 5/30/2013the food was great as always - linguine vongole. yum! the service was not as attentive as we are used to.Special Features:
- The 2 pastas we tried wereMattyDined on 5/23/2013The 2 pastas we tried were excellent. If not for the pasta, the experience would have been sub-par. My daughter's salmon was dry and overcooked. The artichoke and calimari appetizers were mediocre. Desert was merely acceptable. The "garden" could use a bit more greenery - it is suprisingly unattractive. The wine list was adequate. Thank goodness for the excellent pasta ragout!
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2013We had previously eaten at Tre Otto and had a good meal and satisfying experience, but this time it disappointed.Most of the food was just okay, nothing special at all. But the Rigatoni alla Norma was not good, much to tomatoey and very little eggplant. The spaghetti ragu was a little better but not much, a bit on the bland side.The salmon en croute was reported to be average and the pizza with broccoli rabe a little better than that.Service was very slow and we had to keep asking the waiter for drink refills (none were offered or solicited) which he seemed only to be able to manage one at a time.The bill seemed on the high side ($195, incl tip for 4 people with one shared appetizer and no alcohol), but maybe I'm just not used to NY prices.
- just fineninaVIPDined on 5/4/2013great for the neighborhood - charming server, good menu choices and food fresh and tasty. just too too cramped and small - felt like we were eating in a hallway with waiters and bussers constantly at our backs - especially carrying plates, trays, etc. would be great if they could have bigger space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a tune-upChristinaDined on 4/27/2013I've been eating here since Tre Otto first opened, and while it is a little gem in the neighborhood, their service and their plating needs a little tune-up. We sat in the back "garden" (which could use a little added greenery, like potted trees along the outside perimeter maybe?) and while out server was great when we first sat down, as soon as we received our food, he disappeared until it was check time. He didn't check-in to see if we liked our appetizers, and when when our main courses arrived, there was no check-in to see if we wanted fresh pepper or cheese on our pasta. The kitchen should take note that their entree plating left a little to be desired. The pasta looked thrown onto our plates & not really finessed.Special Features:
- My co-workers and I went hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/22/2013My co-workers and I went here for a quick lunch. The food was good, but the service was extremely slow. Our "quick" lunch took over an hour and a half, and we decided that next time we'd have to wait till happy hour to come here again!
- Neighborhood gemGinnyDined on 4/20/2013The restaurant just has a great feel and very good food. The staff is friendly as is the owner. It's small and crowded but it's a friendly nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Excellent food - - wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Excellent food - - wine list seemed reasonable (beer and wine only).Special Features:
- a wonderful find food isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/17/2013a wonderful find food is delicious wine list is good nice service totally enjoyable plus there is a charming outside space for diningSpecial Features:
- terrific italian place - thenewyorkerVIPDined on 4/12/2013terrific italian place - the welcome is as warm as the pasta. eneough choices to keep everyone happy - salads, pizza, pasta, meat and fish dishes - specials are all interesting. standout dishes were the burrata, arugula salad, the lasagna, and the pizzas. wines are reasonably priced (with a focus on italian wines). desserts were all crazy good.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a birthday celebrationDugieVIPDined on 3/23/2013Enjoyed a birthday celebration at this little gem....Special Features:
- Three of us were there forStevethVIPDined on 3/20/2013Three of us were there for lunch. The Margherita pizza was very good. The seafood salad was fresh and well presented. The meatballs did not meet my expectations and the fresh mozzarella was a bit runny. Overall, a good lunch and we plan to go back.Special Features:
- Lactose free pesto - a must try!kikinycDined on 3/18/2013great italian addition to neighborhood - definitely get the pizza *even the small is big! some portions are small, but definitely delish. my fave is the trennette pesto, which is made lactose free and a real treat!Special Features:
- Front of restaurant is small;OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/16/2013Front of restaurant is small; tables are tiny and you practically need a shoehorn to fit in if the tables on either side are occupied. The garden, which is enclosed in the winter, is more spacious, although shorter on atmosphere. We went only because our favorite neighborhood places were booked, and while the food was all right (other than the bread, which was on the stale side), we will not be returning.
- Nothing's wrong, nothing'sNicknameVIPDined on 3/4/2013Nothing's wrong, nothing's special at Tre Otto. In a neighborhood that offers little to serious foodies, Tre Otto is an acceptable choice.
- Great meal. Lovely waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2013Great meal. Lovely waiter. A special meal. We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- excellent food, great service.EverydayDinerVIPDined on 2/12/2013excellent food, great service. fiendly staff. cant wait to o back.
- good food with poor service...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/7/2013I had to ask for menus after sitting at my table for at least 5 min, the non-advertised BYOB cork fee is a surprising $25, never saw a server unless they were delivering our food or the bill, which I had to take to them to run my card after again waiting for 5-10 minutes. The food was actually pretty good, but the service killed the experience. I would like to believe that it was just an isolated mishap, but with the options of restaurants available, i am not willing to give them a second chance to prove my theory.
- Simply a joy every time.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/27/2013Simply a joy every time. A wonderful owned and run family business.
- Local favoritetamsreviewDined on 1/25/2013Cozy, friendly, affordable, with delicious food and a good wine selection. If you like mushrooms, you'll love the Fettucini ai funghi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/25/2013Very ordinary and overpriced for what you get. Ordered the salmon for entree and it was absolutely indelible. First off it had a fishy taste and it seemed like it was precooked a couple of days before and reheated. Secondly it was completely dry and tough. Better off eating at home.
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013Decor and ambience are welcoming and attractive. Food was fair but two main courses did not match the menu description. A substitution was made by the kitchen without checking first that this was acceptable to the diner. Response from the server over the miscommunication was, " we will not charge you for the wrong dish that we had to throw away" The acceptable replacement main course arrived after the other diners at the table had finished eating. Resolving the error did not appear to be a priority for the kitchen. The desserts were delicious.
- Have been there many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/11/2013Have been there many times - often bring people who have never been to the restaurant, as we did this time. Asked to be seated in heated, enclosed garden area. Waiters were nowhere to be found - slow on everything, including getting a check. Bad leak in dining area from pouring rain which they were trying to clean up while we were eating. Found out as we were leaving that there was also a leak where we were sitting - handbags on floor all wet. Mentioned to man (manager?) at front of house as we left - didn't seem too interested. Food is always very good, service is generally adequate. Disappointing.
- delicious, copious arugulaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/10/2013delicious, copious arugula salad, perfectly cooked lamb chopsSpecial Features:
- I have written many reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2013I have written many reviews of Tre Otto. A great neighborhood gem. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Tables were a little closeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012Tables were a little close together, but service was beyond excellent and food was very good.Special Features:
- The waiters were fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2012The waiters were fantastic. Attentive and prompt. The food was out of this world. This is one of the best restaurants I've ever dined in around the world.Special Features:
- Italian deliciousnessAmaruDined on 11/3/2012Unusual and excellent food. Great background music. It's a long narrow space but that may keep the noise level down. There is a garden in the back where diners can eat in warm weather. The wait staff could not have been more attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Love a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2012Love a great neighborhood gem and food here is EXCELLENT. great wines. However, they could stand to have more waitstaff as its slow! When we asked for a few more minutes to make menu choices the waiter dosnt come back for 15+ and required us to summons him many times. He then comments by saying "we'll you did ask for more time". Food worth it but only if leasurly evening is in order.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood refugeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2012Great neighborhood refuge during the Hurricane Sandy aftermath. Things were overcrowded and a little noisier than usual because of the lack of other viable choices in the neighborhood, but they were trying hard and all in all it was a pleasant experience.Special Features: