122 Monroe Center Street NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trecugini.com/
- Phone: 6162359339
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Tre Cugini offers two banquet spaces that can accommodate groups of 10 to 200 guests. Our small space is completely private and is perfect for business groups of up to 30. The larger "La Scala" atrium is a beautiful open area that feels like a European courtyard, and is perfect for any occasion!
- Private Party Contact: Adriano 616-235-9339
- Entertainment: Enjoy the musical stylings of accordianist Michael Schaeffer on Friday and Saturday nights
A word from Tre Cugini
Tre Cugini is proud to be the recipient of several dining awards and strives to uphold the everyday standards of a fine dining establishment. Tre Cugini's authentic Italian cuisine is inspired by its Owner, Adriano Moscatelli. Our diverse and talented team of chefs, equipped with a rich culinary history and experience, bring a never ending beauty to every dish prepared. A charming team of service professionals will guide our guests through a unique dining experience, as we strive to make diners feel like friends and family. Tre Cugini has selected a strong cellar of unique and obscure Italian wines for your enjoyment, and has developed a great reputation for very creative martinis. Located in the center of downtown by the new "Art District" (across from the Grand Rapids Art Museum), we have carved out a taste of Italy in the heart of Grand Rapids.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Tre Cugini - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Tre Cugini reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)romantic (26)notable wine list (20)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Amazing food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The atmosphere is great, dimly lit but enough light where you're not squinting to read the menu. Being in our mid twenties we were the youngest there. I think our age may have been why the service may have suffered, seeing as it is a bit pricier of a menu. Our host seemed very annoyed that we requested a window table, even though the place was relatively empty. Then our waitress just did not impress us one bit. She wouldn't let us finish some sentences and seemed a bit annoyed at us as well. Either way once we ordered the food came out promptly and was fantastic. Not sure if we came on the wrong night or the wrong time but the only thing that made the experience less than stellar was the wait staff in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekAnnieDined on 8/21/2014We visited during restaurant week and found the menu to be very diverse with something for everyone. Even while quite busy our service was very good and the waitstaff was very helpful with questions on items from the menu or wine list.Special Features:
- LavenderDined on 8/16/2014Excellent dining experience during Restaurant week. Great menu, many choices. The food was delicious and the portions generous. The service was attentive and the waiter's wine recommendation a perfect pairing with the food. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlainaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014The service was great and food came out quickly. Good place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedStellabeeDined on 8/13/2014This was my second visit to Tre Cugini. The first visit I wasn't very impressed. I thought my pasta was under seasoned. This time I went for restaurant week with a friend and loved each course of my meal. I had the beef carpaccio appetizer, eggplant terrine and lemon cake for dessert. Everything was delicious. My friend had the fish of the day and it was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Over-priced for mid-grade cuisinedrapesDined on 7/25/2014Wine was good, service was great. End of positive experience. Food was bland. It looks pretty, and in many cases it would be acceptable... but it is definitely not worth the gourmet price. Would go out of my way to recommend that friends go elsewhere for high-end Italian cuisine.Special Features:
- Great experience!JY888Dined on 7/10/2014Great food, service and overall atmosphere. Must try the veal chop Milanese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBobYDined on 7/9/2014In every way - Noise level was high due to concert on the mall which made it even a better night!! Jonell knew the menu backwards and forwards and had excellent suggestions. She was a joy to talk with and Jim the manager came and spoke with EVERY table to make sure the dining experience was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Our experience was mostly good but those of us who had the veal piccata found the veal to be tough. One of us had the perch special and it was very good...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not for kidsHadamDined on 6/30/2014Food was delicious and it was a beautiful place. Definitely would go again with my husband. Even though my son behaved, it's not a place I would take him to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around excelletBodaswoDined on 6/28/2014From sitting down, till we left, the service was outstanding, knowledgeable and very prompt and the food did not disappoint. Outstanding evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!kdricksDined on 6/27/2014This was our second time at Tre Cuigini! The food has always been great and we've always left happy. I'm not sure the food is worth it though for the cost, even though it is good.Special Features:
- pleasantly pleasedcjoteDined on 6/25/2014Very pleased to find an Italian restaurant comparable to any in Chicago. Would take my Italian friends anytime and I know they would be impressed . Planning to return soon. We live in Lansing and we have nothing close to the finery we found in Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- Among GR's very bestaLocalDined on 6/21/2014Tre Cugini is the place to experience truly fine Italian cuisine that matches that of much larger cities plus the best wait staff in our area. White table-cloth service on the patio overlooking Rosa Parks Circle is a summer evening pleasure. They also incorporate fresh, local produce. If you love Italy, this is the place to be.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant in DowntownFamiliaBDined on 6/11/2014We took our son out for his 21st birthday and wanted to go somewhere nice. This was recd. by a gal that works downtown. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. Our appetizers were pretty good, with the calamari being just a bit overdone making it a little tough, but tasted great. The entrees were served hot and we all liked our meals. Portion size was ample and prices were reasonable for the food we received. The highlight of the meal was the lemon pudding cake. This dessert is fantastic...very flavorful but not heavy. Coffee was served in individual pots, which is very nice, so you can warm up your own cup and drink it at your own pace. We would come back to this restaurant and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location is great!PickieDined on 6/11/2014We stumbled in on a dark and rainy night - restaurant was almost empty although we were seated next to another group. Food was quite good - not foodie omg good but better than standard Italian - service was friendly and attentive. The place was vast - I imagine they get a lot of convention goer traffic. I'd eat there again if I was downtown Grand Rapids but I wouldn't go to Grand Rapids to eat there.Special Features:
- Simply excellent!MaryDined on 5/16/2014Charming, welcoming, delicious, innovative! If you want a wonderful experience in mid-town Grand Rapids, this is the place to go. In addition to the wonderful food and service, an accordian player roamed quietly through the tables playing gently and expertly on our visit 5-16-14. Smiles all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big bill, unexciting, small platesdinneroutDined on 5/15/2014The ambiance was nice in a fun location, but the food was very pricey and not altogether very tasty. The portions were also very small. We had 6 in our party with different entrées and no one was enthused about their meal.
- Not badRoachDined on 5/12/2014I would say good food not bad service just no life dead atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMFernDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant was disappointing. No one busing tables, only waiters, therefore dishes do not get moved quickly. I paid NYC, Chicago, LA prices for food in Grand Rapids. Quality of food was mediocre ie: cold food, burnt bread (which I requested and pointed out) which was cold. Manager did not come by once to ask about food, or overall visit though it was stated in reservation that it was our first visit. Four cold scallops =$38.00 (crazy) Will not recommend to anyone we know.Special Features:
- Special EveningOjaiDined on 5/10/2014The hostess was very accommodating. We decided to order one course at a time. This was not a problem as each course arrived properly prepared without a lot of wait time. Crab cake antipasto was excellent. The pasta dishes can be ordered in smaller portions so that there is still room for the meat dishes.Veal scaloppine and the daily special of braised short ribs were outstanding, as was the apple tart. Of course, our waitress Christina was special. The live music was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 414 reviews are from the Tre Cugini reviews archive.
- A nice surprise!dbuddahDined on 4/19/2014There is nothing pricey about this restaurant. All prices were in line with a mid-line Italian restaurant and yet... Tre Cugini is much better than a mid-line Italian restaurant. Much better! If you want to woof down large amounts of pasta full of garlic and spices that smack you like a hammer--go to an all-you-can-eat buffet. The dishes here are artistic, subtly spiced, and the portions are perfect. Add to that decent wine list and a wandering, talented accordionist who was never obnoxious.Special Features:
- Always exceeds!TiamariaVIPDined on 4/18/2014Tre Cugini remains my favorite place to dine in Grand Rapids. Love the downtown location ~ patio space (weather permitting) is so nice. Michael, the accordionist, adds to the experience when he is there. Be sure to ask him to play some of his own music, and ask him about his collection of accordions and his art! The food is always outstanding. We usually opt for at least some of the specials. This time it was Argentinean prawns and halibut cheeks, both outstanding. We also ask for wine recommendations based on what we are ordering, and we have always been impressed with the depth of knowledge of our servers. We had a delicious Barbaresco which we liked so much that we stopped at Martha's to get another on the way home.Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth it, sort ofgrendelVIPDined on 4/10/2014Our good friends had recommended this restaurant and since Open Table agreed that this restaurant is excellent, we did dine there last week. Our server (Erin??) was one of the best we have ever had. When I inquired about a special cocktail combining Hendrick's gin with elderflower liqueur, she had the bartender whip up a great drink for me. My husband's scallops were excellent as was my salad with pancetta. Unfortunately, my main dish, Roman chicken, tasted like it should be spaghetti in meat sauce. The robust red sauce totally overwhelmed the poor chicken breast. I could have been eating anything. Overall, our meal was fine, but not exceptional. And it was very, very expensive. We spent $200 without dessert (and for just two people)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TreatDiner64Dined on 4/2/2014We booked our reservation online for a special birthday dinner. Everything was wonderful and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Spectacular for Business dinnerjondwDined on 4/2/2014We entertained three guests from out of town. Our waitress selected three specially created appetizers that were out of this world. For the main course we each selected a different dish. All of us were equally amazed. The wine selection is like no other and the waitress selected the perfect match. A must dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRunningGrDined on 3/29/2014My fiancé and I went there to celebrate two years living in Grand Rapids together. Great wine list, and food options. One of our meals was outstanding, the other was mediocre. It was sent back, and "spiced up". It turned out to be another great meal. I would recommend this spot to anyone looking for a great pasta dish, and service.Special Features:
- Food ok, service/dessert/wine greatJudasDined on 3/29/2014Very high expectations going into the restaurant. The menu online looked awesome. We ordered the calamari deep fried with zucchini and apples. The dish came, no zucchini or apples. The 'spicy' marinara had zero kick. This coming from a girl who can't handle medium spice. I also ordered the arugula salad with lemon truffle oil and NY Strip steak. I make more flavorful steak and salad at home. Very disappointing. My date ordered the entree menu scallops, which he said were delicious. For dessert, the panacotta, TO DIE FOR!. Would go just for that. Server was fantastic! She was well educated on the wines. Overall, nice, but with so many other GR restaurants to choose from I won't go back.Special Features:
- Memorable MealGRVisitorDined on 3/15/2014We dined at Tre Cugini on a Saturday night and were very impressed from start to finish. Our waiter, Brendan, was perfect, and the service was excellent. My wife had skatewing while I had wild boar pasta. We'll be back again and we'll be bringing friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner, but so expensiveTrueVIPDined on 3/15/2014We got 3 scallops for $34. Seriously, 3. I've been to many big cities, and have never been served 3 scallops for an entre. They tasted great, I'll give them that, but at $11.33 per, they are just obnoxiously over priced.
- We arrived early and we hadWormVIPDined on 3/15/2014We arrived early and we had part of our party arriving later. Very accommodating. Food specials were both creative and prepared well.Special Features:
- Love Tre CuginiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2014Perfect restaurant for a special occasion, or anytime. Food is great as well as the service. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014Tre Cugini remains our favorite restaurant in GR. Their new chef started last week and he didn't disappoint on a recent visit. We highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions or just a great dinner out. Consistently good !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurant! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014Great little restaurant! Food is excellent! The beet salad was exceptional. Especially enjoy Michael's accordion music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tre cugini rocks!HappydinerDined on 3/7/2014The service was great! The food was spectacular. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!datenightDined on 3/7/2014My husband and I were there for dinner before a show. The waitress asked right away if we needed to be anywhere for a show by a certain time. She did a great job getting us out on time, without rushing us at all. She was very personable and helpful with the food and wine choices. We really enjoyed our meal, the wine and our time together there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticAnniversaryDined on 3/1/2014It was perfect for our 21 year Anniversary. They played italian music by our table several times. The food was amazing and the waiter was excellent. Thank you for a wonderful, memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnermpaulDined on 2/26/2014I took a customer here and it was the first time I had eaten at Tre Cugini. The food was fabulous, the waiter was very attentive and made wonderful suggestions. I would definatly recommend this to people.Special Features:
- Fine DiningJennieBDined on 2/22/2014Had a great time here enjoying dinner for my birthday and the staff were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayMarthaDined on 2/19/2014Diverse selection on the menu. Everything from the appetizers right through to desert were beautifully prepared and presented. Service was impeccable and our table looked out over the skating rink at Rosa Park Circle with all of the twinkling of lights. Easy parking at the Ellis lot just 5 steps from restaurant's front door. We have many choices for dining in Grand Rapids. This was our first visit to Tre Cujini, but it won't be our last. They created a memorable dining experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.