4930 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriasorrento.com/
- Phone: 3017180344x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: De Simone Chefs, Carlo, Giovanni, Maria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: catering pick-up and delivery limited options available. budget catering available
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private room available. We also offer restaurant buyout. Corporate functions and Parties/Banquets anytime.
- Private Party Contact: Giovanni 3017180344x
- Entertainment: Live Opera Night
Wine tasting Dinners
Sunday Brunch coming soon-TBA
- Special Events: Live Opera Nights every first Sunday of the Month unless otherwise noted. Only $55.00 per person for a 4 course meal and all entertainment. A deal you won't regret and will want to come back again for. Each aria will be explained before singing. Come for a magnificent show with the top one and only starring soprano Diane Abel and Friends and enjoy a fabulous dinner prepared by DeSimone chefs. Also, join us for wine tasting dinners and charity events too.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Rd
- Public Transit: Bethesda Metro three blocks walking along Old Georgetown Rd. and free shuttle service to and from Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking right next door.
Valet parking available weekends.
Street parking available too, certain county hours apply.
Another Public Lot 1 block on Delray Ave.
A word from Trattoria Sorrento
"Trattoria Sorrento is a family owned and run restaurant, established in 1991. Influenced by culinary traditions emanating from Sorrento and with a focus on creating an authentic Italian dining occasion, we are confident that your experience will be reminiscent of an authentic meal in Italy." Fresh Seafood & Pastas, Pizza, Veal, Chops from our grill and definitely more and something for every palate. Come enjoy our tradition at Trattoria Sorrento!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Sorrento - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Trattoria Sorrento reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)romantic (7)special occasion (6)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Poor servicemom2boysVIPDined on 10/11/2014Came in time for our reservation. Nobody there to seat us, staff ignored us. Line of patrons grew. Finally coralled busboy who put us at a table. We were inches away from next table. Wait staff continued to ignore us. Tried to flag down a waiter, asked who our waiter was. He briskly strode by, making no eye contact, not speaking to me, and waved indiscriminately behind him. Finally got a waitress who was very nice, but it was an hour until our entrees came. Took at least 20 minutes, possibly 30 for one appetizer to come out, and it didn't even require cooking. Husband ordered wine which didn't come; he had to go up to the bar himself and ask for it. Food was good but not worth the wait or rudeness of staff.
- Richard21Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I were not impressed. The food was so-so, the red wine too warm and the service varied between casual and indifferent. Too many customers on a Saturday evening and not enough serving staff may have been the problem.
- Delicious italian-not chain foodVaMOMVIPDined on 9/14/2014I was searching for a restaurant for my family and I was not familiar with the area. I took a chance on this restaurant based on other reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. All of us (5) enjoyed the food. My kids had the pepperoni pizza and the proscuitto pizza. I had the gnocchi, husband had the tortellini and my dad had the special veal raviolis. Caesar salad and pasta fagioli soup decent too. The restaurant is family owned and the wait staff is family too so they took more pride and interest in pleasing us. If I were to visit the area again, I definitely would eat at Trattoria Sorrento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014Thanks to OpenTable reviewers for the suggestion. Outstanding reviews are well deserved. Great food and atmosphere. Very reasonable prices. One of those great family-owned places that are harder and harder to find but deliver a great meal and experience. Service was a little slow. But so what? Enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is anyone paying attention?newk53VIPDined on 9/12/2014We were in early on a Friday night. The restaurant was badly understaffed. No host, no floor manager, not enough servers. It's hard to believe that the restaurant is keeping it's head above water. Everything was slow and confused. dinner was just okay, the bus person was outstanding.
- Extensive Italian dishesJw6853Dined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed our dinner immensely. The choices were extensive. My cavatelli dish was delicious. The appetizers were wonderful. Prices were reasonable and tables were roomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dow home neighborhood findChocolatefanDined on 6/27/2014I come from boston where the north end is filled with small, casual Italian eateries. This place reminds me of home with it's very tasty homey Italian food in a casual yet romantic setting, it is utterly unpretentious and very welcoming with great service.Special Features:
- The following 120 reviews are from the Trattoria Sorrento reviews archive.
- Deliciously unassumingItaliafanDined on 6/20/2014A family business that always satisfies! Hidden away on Cordell avenue, this is probably the 6th or 7th time I've been and the food is always amazing. Attentive staff that remember you from past visits. The specials,especially the fish ones are well prepared, seasoned nicely and good portions. Topped off with their sangria and it makes for a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service detractsOpolisVIPDined on 6/15/2014The food at Sorrento is very good; the setting fine; the waiters very pleasant. So why do we hesitate to go? Slow service. Not sure if this is the waitstaff or the kitchen, but it's inevitably just far too slow.
- Fantastic!NoreenVIPDined on 5/30/2014I absolutely loved this place. It's nicely decorated, and the food is delicious. The homemade ravioli and homemade wheat pasta were wonderful. The shrimp was cooked to perfection. I definitely plan on returning to this place! I would definitely recommend checking it out.. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old italianDelishDined on 5/21/2014Cute Italian restaurant with good food, but not as good as the Italian chain Mama Lucia. Service was nice but quite slow.Special Features:
- Look forward to returningRonGVIPDined on 5/16/2014Outstanding menu selection. Very interesting specials. The stuffed red pepper with shrimp was fantastic. Our service was outstanding, as always. The wine list has several very reasonable selections. Our go to Bethesda restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to do Bad Italian. Not GoodGrcbossVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food and service were amateur. The food was terrible, the woman who helped us was nice. The main course was ok. The clams casino were just disgusting and the desert was even worse. Im sure it was old or frozen. The ambiance was pitiful the place looks like nothing has been done to it in 40 years. Subpar for Bethesda standards.
- Neighborhood NicheJeanneVIPDined on 4/11/2014This restaurant isn't going to awe you and for us that's a good thing. Perfect for a quiet dinner (or lunch) with good food, service and the ability to actually hear one another converse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Better.RqtballerDined on 3/29/2014This restaurant was recommended by a colleague as having good food, good service, etc. There was no host/hostess to greet us. Eventually we were noticed and seated by a gentlemen who ended up being our waiter and he did not introduce himself. He was very knowledgeable of the specials and food/wine on the menu. The food was ok and the service was ok. Not nearly as good asI was expecting. Definite room for improvement.
- Great dinner with a wonderful frienSloanRaiderDined on 3/28/2014Trattoria Sorrento has fabulous authentic Italian food with wonderful wine and atmosphere. It's easy to talk to your companions and also enjoy conversation with the people around you in a friendly atmosphere. I would recommend this to anyone near the Bethesda area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/7/2014We have been to this restaurant several times. The food is always good - great menu, lovely staff.Special Features:
- What was once fairly consistentmaarmianVIPDined on 2/22/2014What was once fairly consistent is now inconsistent. Pasta is mushy and the generic sauces differ from meal to meal. Had an appetizer of prosciutto and mozzerella which was too salty to eat
- Fabulous Italian RestaurantDaveDined on 2/20/2014Excellent service and delicious authentic Italian food in a very cozy environment! Perfect for any occasion! We had a wonderful 3 course dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time theremra2z2005Dined on 2/14/2014The place is nice but the placement of the tables isn't. They try to sit too many people and the place isn't that big but the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't handle Valentine's DayGarthDined on 2/14/2014Food wes very good. Service was horrible. They forgot our drink order, brought us the wrong meal three times. It was Valentine's Day and the wait staff and kitchen couldn't handle the crowd.
- crowded valentines dinnerbethesdaguyDined on 2/14/2014we had never been here before, but decided to go on Valentine's day. I assume they don't put that many tables out normally, because they had put tables VERY close to one another (eg, 6 inches away from each other). So it was quite crowded. The food was very good, but the service lacked. We ordered appetizers but they never arrived, although they did appear on the bill. The waiter was very nice and apologized for the mistake. So hard to say if this was normal service, or just a reflection of having too many people to fit into to accomodate so many couples wanting a nice valentines dinner
- Terrible service on Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We were hoping for a romantic Valentine' Day meal, but the service was so poor that it actually ruined the dining experience. It took us over two hours to have a salad, entrée, and a dessert, and most of that time was spent waiting. We had to flag our waitress down every time (including for a water refill after sitting there for over an hour without anyone stopping by). Our waitress seemed stressed and frustrated by the crowd, which I understand because the place was packed and they only seemed to have 3-4 wait people on staff. But a good waitress still would have smiled and at least made you feel like you weren't making her day worse by ordering food at a restaurant. Eggplant parmesan was terrible but hubby's pesto past was delicious.
- Disappointed special occasionPuchitaDined on 2/14/2014It appeared that extra tables were added in the dining room due to the Valentine's Day special occasion. This made the dining experience horrible, very noisy, crowded, and poor service. It was also my birthday so I let the waiter know and he only responded, "I believe you. Our glasses were not refilled, we were not checked on, bread was not replaced, and we were not asked if we wanted dessert our coffee. We finished as soon as possible and had dessert elsewhere.
- overbooked, overcrowded,wetwoDined on 2/14/2014While we were happy they had reservations available at 6:30 before our play at Roundhouse on Valentine's day, and that they quickly seated us, they had apparently crammed extra tables in, and the waitress and kitchen were trying to serve too many tables. It was impossible to have anything approaching a conversation without either yelling or leaning across the table (the technique we used) It took 40 minutes after arriving before we were able to even place our order (in the meantime, others who arrived later had already been served- we might have been better served if we were aggresive/obnoxious), though the waitress was good about getting our order in and getting our dinner to us in time to gulp in down before the play. The
- Garnet in the roughpickyeaterDined on 1/18/2014Out to dinner on an impulse on Saturday night. Were able to get a last minute reservation via Open Table. Turns out to be an "old style" Italian restaurant. Room is darkish and fairly quite. This was a real plus for those who don't want to eat and shout across to their dining companions. Service was a bit slow because of unexpected staff shortage.was short because. But staff was friendly and accommodating. Menu seemed pretty standard, pastas with tomato-based sauces. Various chicken and veal preparations, ptarmigan, scaloppini, etc. Homemade pastas. Not much off the well beaten Italian path. Beet salad special was excellent, entrees just" "OK." We like the atmosphere so we'll probably go back. Worth further exploration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like last timeLindaDined on 1/18/2014The service was very slow. We waited over 45 minutes to have our food served. It was very loud from the music and we could not hear our waitress or each other talking. The ravioli could have been cooked more. Not like it used to be.
- My choice .ChefEdDined on 1/12/2014I was in the mood for something light, such as linguine in butter with something else. Usually never order off menu here because all of the food is very good . .and ample portions. But I asked for linguine with capers and a few black olives, in butter and garlic. Not a problem and served very nicely. Hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order the eggplant monochinaFinedyneVIPDined on 1/11/2014The salads at Sorrento are always fresh and nearly a meal by themselves or with a bowl of soup. But the reason I keep going back is for the most divine eggplant dish in the DC area--and probably the best vegetarian meal. It doesn't matter hat I can't spell it correctly. I order or almost every time I'm there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good. WaitresseasydinerDined on 1/10/2014Food was very good. Waitress could have been more enthusiastic.Special Features:
- The food was very good andJimmyDined on 1/4/2014The food was very good and authentic. It is very good value for the quality and portion sizes. I would recommend as a good neighborhood restaurant and kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in a Walk In Freezer.JLRKVDined on 12/31/2013This was my third time at this restaurant. Like my previous visits, the food and service were fine. However time my guests and I had to endure sitting next to the front window during one of this areas cold snaps. They should have closed the three tables at the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful First VisitCharlesMDined on 12/31/2013Our first visit to Trattoria Sorrento was New Years Eve. It was very crowded, but that didn't stop the waiters and waitresses from getting around. Absolutely no complaints about the service. Or the food, for that matter. We all chose from the specials menu, and every item we ordered got rave reviews. We thought, given the crowd and how close the tables were to one another, that it would be noisy and hard to hear each other, but that proved not to be the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic RestaurantLisaDined on 12/27/2013I was looking for a romantic restaurant for a date with my husband. The atmosphere, food and service were perfect. I was not drinking wine that night so I did not check out the wine list, which is usually a big consideration, however, being Italian I can say the food was wonderful and many of the dishes were things I had not seen before. I am particularly picky about sauces being authentic and not "Americanized." Test passed. This is a great place for a casual romantic evening or even a birthday dinner for a family member. The staff was very nice and attentive. The restaurant was not busy that night (2 days after Christmas) which may have been why they were able to be so friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedtthechtVIPDined on 12/26/2013We often come here and it's great every time. Very friendly service and delicious food. We'll be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really enjoyed a special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2013really enjoyed a special evening with family here!Special Features:
- Classic Southern Italian Cooking!WedAnnDined on 12/15/2013This was my first time at the restaurant visiting Bethesda on business - I'll definitely go back. The food was very good, the service was excellent (Melinda was very accommodating on a special request, and introduced herself as part of the family run restaurant. The prices were very reasonable as well. Nice Variety of dishes and specials too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!annaDined on 12/14/2013We love to eat at Sorrento! The food is consistently good and reliably "home cooked" Italian. We are treated well and made to feel welcome. It is our go to restaurant most Friday nights.Special Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantRonGVIPDined on 12/11/2013Our go-to Italian restaurant in Maryland. We've never been disappointed. The food is outstanding. Melinda is an excellent server. Try it--you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninteresting foodBillSVIPDined on 11/30/2013We had the bonzini special - bland and chicken Parmesan - boring I had the cauliflower soup with mussels - the soup was bland, there was no salt or pepper on the table, the waiter never offered pepper as in most restaurants and..A couple of the mussels were bad YUKKK! We wont be going back