4930 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriasorrento.com/
- Phone: (301) 718-0344
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: De Simone Chefs, Carlo, Giovanni, Maria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: catering pick-up and delivery limited options available. budget catering available
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private room available. We also offer restaurant buyout. Corporate functions and Parties/Banquets anytime.
- Private Party Contact: Giovanni 3017180344x
- Entertainment: Live Opera Night
Wine tasting Dinners
Sunday Brunch coming soon-TBA
- Special Events: Live Opera Nights every first Sunday of the Month unless otherwise noted. Only $55.00 per person for a 4 course meal and all entertainment. A deal you won't regret and will want to come back again for. Each aria will be explained before singing. Come for a magnificent show with the top one and only starring soprano Diane Abel and Friends and enjoy a fabulous dinner prepared by DeSimone chefs. Also, join us for wine tasting dinners and charity events too.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Rd
- Public Transit: Bethesda Metro three blocks walking along Old Georgetown Rd. and free shuttle service to and from Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking right next door.
Valet parking available weekends.
Street parking available too, certain county hours apply.
Another Public Lot 1 block on Delray Ave.
A word from Trattoria Sorrento
"Trattoria Sorrento is a family owned and run restaurant, established in 1991. Influenced by culinary traditions emanating from Sorrento and with a focus on creating an authentic Italian dining occasion, we are confident that your experience will be reminiscent of an authentic meal in Italy." Fresh Seafood & Pastas, Pizza, Veal, Chops from our grill and definitely more and something for every palate. Come enjoy our tradition at Trattoria Sorrento!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Sorrento - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Trattoria Sorrento reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Italian RestaurantRonGVIPDined on 12/11/2013Our go-to Italian restaurant in Maryland. We've never been disappointed. The food is outstanding. Melinda is an excellent server. Try it--you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninteresting foodBillSVIPDined on 11/30/2013We had the bonzini special - bland and chicken Parmesan - boring I had the cauliflower soup with mussels - the soup was bland, there was no salt or pepper on the table, the waiter never offered pepper as in most restaurants and..A couple of the mussels were bad YUKKK! We wont be going back
- Half of the restaurant wasRobertVIPDined on 11/29/2013Half of the restaurant was kept empty on a Friday evening, except we were seated in that section, which felt awkward and cold. Service was poor. Our waitress seemed to be deliberately delaying taking our order to manage the flow of orders to the kitchen. We were at the restaurant nearly two hours to get appetizers and main courses. One main course was forgotten and had to be ordered again. The food was OK, but had lots of room for improvement. There are better options.
- Like a good, home Italian kitchenBillDined on 11/24/2013Excellent service, good food, beautiful setting. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Great Spot for a Special OccassionWGORDined on 11/20/2013...or a casual dinner with family and friends. We always feel welcome at Sorrento...like guests in a friend's home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic!JenniferDined on 11/9/2013My friend had the chicken saltimbocca and I had eggplant monachina. The eggplant was rolled with several different cheeses in it and the flavors were wonderful. When I tried my friend's saltimbocca I think it was even better than my dish. We also tried one of their homemade desserts. I forget what it was called but it was delicious. The food did not disappoint. The ambiance was a little weird and the restaurant was only half full - I am not sure why because I thought the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian in the Heart of BethesdaDCGirlVIPDined on 11/5/2013We were looking for an Italian restaurant in the Chevy Chase/Bethesda area to celebrate my Dad's Birthday. We didn't want loud or trendy, just good Italian food. This restaurant did not disappoint. A friend suggested Trattoria Sorrento and it was the perfect place. It was a Tuesday night so the restaurant was not loud . The service was very good; they seem to care about making their customers happy. The food was delicious and they have a gluten free pasta that you can substitute for many of their pasta dishes. Nice atmosphere; you feel like this restaurant could be in Little Italy. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuck up and very noisyLarryDined on 11/3/2013We came in during opera night and the lady singing opera was very very loud.I told the waitress it was very distracing and all she said was thank you.Good food but not good service.Waitess nevber came back to even see if I wanted canother drink.Long island ice tea was very weak and watered downSpecial Features:
- Opera Night!!ninaDined on 11/3/2013We just stumbled in on the first Sunday, and were wonderfully surprised by some very talented performers: soprano, tenor, accompanist. Couple that with good wine and wonderful food, and I'm in heaven.Special Features:
- NiceHughVIPDined on 10/23/2013Familly run Italian, nothing fancy and value for moneySpecial Features:
- Good food if you're not in a hurryOutOfTownerDined on 10/17/2013Had dinner on a Thursday evening right after work. The restaurant was very slow, but picked up quite a bit as the night went on. The food was very good, but the service was surprisingly slow (although the staff was very friendly.) We had a pasta dish and the fish special and both were excellent. We will definitely go back, but next time I would ask them to move it along a bit quicker. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Italian placeBethesdaRegularVIPDined on 10/15/2013This restaurant is family owned, family run and feels very comfortable and well run. Food is always good. Service is friendly, easy, and consistently good. I haven't been for Opera Night, but I hear that is a big hit with regulars. Our neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A large noisy group of adolescentBBBBDined on 10/12/2013A large noisy group of adolescent girls made conversation nearly impossible. As we were leaving, another latge group was arrivingSpecial Features:
- Great place!BritabroadDined on 10/6/2013We went during an opera night so it was a bit loud, however we still had a wonderful dinner. It was definitely a one off situation with the noise and this should not deter anyone from going here. Highly recommend this place. Good food and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service; veryJulesDined on 10/6/2013Excellent food, service; very friendly; outstanding opera nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PraiseshortyVIPDined on 10/4/2013Four diners. Four happy people. We have been to Sorrento for many years and have always had a well prepared and tasty meal. Sometimes the service is a bit slow, but it is worth the wait because the food is so good. Try it. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencelas08eDined on 9/28/2013I went here alone for my birthday dinner since my SO was out of town at a conference and I just moved here so I know very few people. The food was spectacular and the service was beyond great. I loved the atmosphere, I didn't feel awkward that I was there alone at all, and I had a wonderful time. Price-wise, it was completely worth it. I honestly expected to pay much more for that kind of quality of food. I will certainly be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!katmando90Dined on 9/21/2013This is definitely one of the hidden gems of Bethesda. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good RestaurantJohnGaltVIPDined on 9/8/2013Well done traditional Italian food in a nice setting. There is a good selection of Italian wines and prices are reasonable. In my opinion it is the best Italian restaurant in Bethesda and an equal to DeCarlo's in the District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComplementsshortyVIPDined on 8/31/2013Seven adults dined here Saturday evening.and were very pleased with the service and food. Three couples ordered the house salad which was large enough to share. The entrees varied from pastas to shrimp to veal and all were prepared very well. Each was quite plentiful, very flavorful and served with good heat. Prices are reasonable at Sorrento and combined with the previous kudos are the reason we return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a casual nightWGORDined on 8/10/2013Perfect for a casual night out with friends, or for any special occasion. Great food...warm, welcoming staff...like dinner at a good friend's house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2013We had a celebratory dinner with my family on a Thursday evening. The service was lovely (warm, attentive) and all the food was fresh tasting and delicious. We will certainly be back and would recommend this family-owned restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianPapaBillVIPDined on 6/30/2013The setting is so much like a Trattoria in Italy we felt like we were there, having lived in Italy. The food was outstanding, the service topnotch, and the music was appropriately Italian. We were treated to a wonderful meal, served by a gracious lady, and loved every minute of this great place. We'd highly recommend it to anyone seeking a true Italian setting and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was able toJohnDined on 6/21/2013This restaurant was able to accommodate a large group. The waiter was very knowledgeable of menu items and specials. He recommended between alternatives with supported reasoningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2013Food was delicious! Service attentive, but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantRonGVIPDined on 6/14/2013This is the best Italian restaurant in Montgomery County. Also, our favorite neighborhood restaurant. Unbelievable menu. Domenic is an excellent server--he makes you feel at home. The prices are reasonable and the portions are large. We come here at least once/month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2013We love coming to Sorrento. It is a true family restaurant and anything you order is prepared with love. The have daily specials that can be quite unique - example salad with grilled tripe, which was truly delicious if you can get past the tripe. Their grilled calamari is a must and no matter which main dish you choose, you will not be disappointed. Probably the best Tiramisu I ever had as well!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food in a Friendly SettingFoodLoverDined on 6/2/2013We thoroughly enjoyed or meal here: the food was good, the service was attentive and accommodating, and the atmosphere was warm. While not gourmet, the food was very good and well prepared. We will definitely dine here the next time we visit Bethesda.Special Features:
- It's Really a Shame...LML22VIPDined on 5/25/2013The food here is wonderful - really good, solid pastas and sauces. Unfortunately, the two times I've been here, the service was so bad it spoiled the experience. The tables were crammed together and in weird formation. The owner is surly and acts as though you're putting him out by asking to be seated (with a reservation). We were sitting for 30 minutes before the waitress came over to ask if we wanted drinks. We mentioned we were ready to order and she said she'd be back to tell us about the specials. It was literally an hour and a half before we had food at the table. While the food is great, it's not worth the wait or the overcrowding of tables.
- The food was good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2013The food was good as always but the staff was totally unprepared for a full house. therefore service was very slow. The waitress was very polite - and we understood that she could not handle all of her tables, etc. - but the restaurant should have known they needed more staff as they told us when we arrived that it would be a full house.Special Features:
- great foodanonVIPDined on 5/24/2013the food here is delicious - and everything seems to be an authentic recipe with a family twist. for example, the salad dressing (a campari vin) is different yet delicious. the server was outstanding - calm, patient, and attentive. however, the bus staff was not as consistent -- clearing half the bread and appetizer plates and forgetting about the rest. overall, a fantastic place.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013Our family of 10 were seated as soon as we arrived. We had reservations for 6:00 pm. The restaurant was packed with Mother's Day patrons. We were served efficiently, warm and friendly service. Food was very good. I had one of the specials and it was fabulous! My husband and I wlll dine there again.Special Features:
- The best Italian in Bethesda!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013This restaurant is by far the best original Italian food we have found in Bethesda! All the food was like being in Italy. Prosciutto and ricotta stuffed wheat homemade ravioli and eggplant Parmesan along with a bottle of Ruffino Chianti made this a night to remember! Our waiter from Sicily was excellent and helped with our selections. The homemade desserts were extraordinary. Do try their appetizer of mussels in marinara! We will return every chance we get when we return to Bethesda! Giovanni and his parents have the "real deal" here at Sorento! You won't be disappointed with this beautiful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bethesda's "go-to" Italian placelkbethesdaDined on 4/14/2013One of our very favorite neighborhood restaurants. Sorrento never disappoints. There are nearly always specials that are irresistible, but the regular menu is also excellent and varied. "Papa", the owner and chef, also is a genius with his personally made desserts. The family-owned restaurant conveys a family-friendly atmosphere, and it is our "go-to" Bethesda dining spot for our out of town visitors.Special Features:
- Melinda was our server tonightRonGVIPDined on 4/10/2013Melinda was our server tonight and was extremely efficient and friendly. The food, as always, was outstanding. I would recommend going when the restaurant is less hectic.Special Features:
- Wonderful, sophisticated and warmOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/6/2013In a town of overpriced, noisy, overstimulating and mediocre restaurants, the Trattoria stands out as a wonderful and authentic joy. The proprietors, a family, are devoted to their craft. The fish is particularly well done, in subtle and flavorful ways. A good place for folks who struggle with background din - small and quiet. If you enjoy intimate,more sophisticated restaurants rather than corporate gigantism you will love this place. Bottom line: a wonderful counterpoint to the over engineered, overpriced pretentiousness of DC dining.Special Features:
- Cute restaurant. MargheritaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Cute restaurant. Margherita pizza had too much sauce (should only be tomato, and not sauce) and too much cheese. By far the better choice: mushroom and prosciutto. We'd be willing to give it another try...Special Features:
- We always enjoy Sorrento --Goodfood123VIPDined on 3/16/2013We always enjoy Sorrento -- the food is delicious and the service perfect. Veal marsala is done just right, the fish is well cooked. Serive is very attentive and just great.Special Features:
- Great food and great server.maarmianVIPDined on 3/9/2013Great food and great server. Seems as though Saturday night is not the best option. The kitchen and staff can't keep up. Our server apologized for back ups and computer problems. Deserts were comped and he made sure our wine glasses were full, also on the house. Food was great and fresh for the price point. Would come back again in spite of snafus in the kitchen.Special Features:
- One of our favorite neighborhoodRonGVIPDined on 3/2/2013One of our favorite neighborhood Italian restaurants. The food is always very good, the portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. Our only complaint is the slow service--more staff is needed, especially on busy weekend nights--but that won't stop us from continuing to go here.Special Features: