1535 N. Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trattoriaroma.com/
- Phone: 3126647907
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Hours January 2 - April 1, 2013 Closed Mondays
Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm,
Tuesday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Filmon Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Trattoria Roma offers two unique private event spaces. Our Private Dining Room, located on the second level with a maximum seating of 80 guests and in our Wine Cellar Lounge for cocktail parties up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Sanderson 8778240657
- Special Events: Half priced wine list every Monday and Tuesday.
- Cross Street: North Ave
- Public Transit: Brown or Purple line at North Ave and Sedgwick
Red line at Clark and Division
#11 Lincoln/Sedgwick at North Ave and Sedgwick
#22 Clark at North Ave and Clark
#36 Broadway at Clark and North Ave
#72 North Ave at North Ave and Wells
#156 Lasalle at Lasalle and North Ave
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available in front along with private lots across the street. Both charge $12. Additional street parking is available.
A word from Trattoria Roma
Trattoria Roma located in Chicago"s historic "Old Town" neighborhood has been serving some of the city's best "Classic Italian" cuisine for the past 25 years. Credited with starting the "Trattoria Craze" back in 1985, this family run restaurant changes its menu daily. Pizza, Pasta, Seafood & Meat dishes headline the menu, revolving thru over 100 classic recipes and new creations. The restaurant offers a full bar and wine list with selections from around the world and has a "Half Priced" wine list every Monday and Tuesday. Like many in this area, the building dates back to the late 1800's and provides a true authentic feel of a small Trattoria in Roma. While waiting for a table, enjoy the newly remodeled "Wine Lounge" in the lower level, complete with flat screens and a Private Snug. This wine cellar glows with a warm inviting atmosphere. The original stone wall foundation, borders the room with open rough cut beams and pillars that contrast the modern glass tile. Bar dining availableContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Roma reviews from OpenTable diners
- Loving the outdoorsflipdive16Dined on 6/7/2013Now that it's finally summer in Chicago, it was great to have an outdoor venue to sit at and enjoy the bustle of Wells Street. Our food was quite good, and overall we would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love coming to this OldSundaySteveDined on 6/1/2013We love coming to this Old Town neighborhood gem. Fantastic Italian for a fraction of the cost of some of the neighborhood alternatives. Loved the salmon pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a late lunch here onKittyDined on 5/10/2013We had a late lunch here on a Friday afternoon. The menu was full of wo nderful Italian selections. Try the grilled calamari in a rich sauce. The portions are generous and every morsel was a delight.Special Features:
- We were a little disappointedfoodieDined on 5/7/2013We were a little disappointed with the food quality vs. the prices. I had the salmon which was tasty, but my date had the shrimp and scallop pasta that was not good at all. Friendly service, love the area around the restaurant.
- Our group of seven had a greatJimADined on 4/27/2013Our group of seven had a great meal, good service and good atmosphere. We didn't want one of the bigger "chain" restaurants that are nearby, we liked the smaller layout (we ate on the second floor.)Special Features:
- Old horse painted to selllChristyViewpointVIPDined on 4/14/2013Average lunch spot at a higher than average price point. Looks like an old pizza place tricked up with a cliche Tuscany theme.
- Great Italian in Old Town ChicagoGeaux93Dined on 4/13/2013Very nice Italian restaurant in Old Town on North Wells Street. Great atmosphere to enjoy a traditional Italian meal and good wine! My wife had the lasagna which was fantastic and I had the veal which was also delicious. The host and staff were great and made us feel like part of the family. I highly recommend Trattoria Roma to anyone who appreciates authentic Italian food in an authentic Italian restaurant setting.Special Features:
- They sat us by a door thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013They sat us by a door that blew cold air on us, ran out of the dessert we wanted and several of our choices for after dinner drinks. The waiter was unfamiliar with how to correspond their Italian wine selection with American wines which is a very commom question. The main course was uneventful. This is definitley not worthy of a return even with a coupn.
- I enjoyed the food, wine,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013I enjoyed the food, wine, and atmosphere with my boyfriend. The service was good and the location was not too far from downtown either. Try the fried calamari it is deliciously flavor and very satisfying.Special Features:
- delicious vealwaldmkaVIPDined on 3/22/2013Both my boyfriend and I got the veal lemon and it was deliciousSpecial Features:
- place was tiny, but enjoyable.moniDined on 3/16/2013place was tiny, but enjoyable. food was good and we enjoyed the evening even though it was St. Patrick's day (Saturday). worth trying.Special Features:
- An incredible gem in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013An incredible gem in Old Town with amazing food that will NOT disappoint - from appetizers, to entree, wine, and even dessert, which you can't turn down! It's a must!!Special Features:
- Not going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2013Service was good but the food was average at best. The lasagna was sour and the fish was boney.Special Features:
- This is one our favorite neighborhoOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/23/2013This is one our favorite neighborhood restaurants. It can be a bit crowded on a Saturday night but during the week it's a great place to grab dinner after work. Food is good, I am never disappointed.Special Features:
- We were running late for ourLks47Dined on 2/22/2013We were running late for our reservation, called the restaurant and was greeted pleasantly and told they would hold our table. It is a small, very quaint restaurant with street parking. Once inside, it had the feel of Italy and only needed some quiet Italian music playing. Our waiter was fantastic and even brought out a sample of the Bellini to see if we liked it. We ordered Calamari for appetizer and it was delicious. Each of us had a different entree but everyone agreed that the Fetuccini was definitely the best. We would return to this restaurant. Quick service and food delivery and very pleasant surroundings.Special Features:
- The food was extremely goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013The food was extremely good and the restaurant was nice with good seating selection. The service was a little slow and we even had to ask for them to take our drink and food order. Overall it was a good dinner.
- Excellent food, good wineSuszapVIPDined on 2/16/2013Excellent food, good wine selection, pleasant wait-staff, in a comfortable setting (casual-dressy). A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2013Food and service were excellent. Our waiter was most kind.Special Features:
- Always a great experience...oneDanoverVIPDined on 2/1/2013Always a great experience...one of my favorite restaurants!!!Special Features:
- Food is really good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/26/2013Food is really good but the restaurant is ridiculously packed and crowded. If you hate places like that, you might be kind of uncomfortable like I was. If that doesn't bother you, then its fine. The wait staff was not very good or attentive and it was super loud. But that being said, the food was exceptional. Its a pretty casual place, too.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/6/2013The soup was good, the salad mediocre, and the entrees okay. Our server was excellent, attentive and accommodating. We dined early, so the noise level was low. The tables are close together, so a later dining time might have been a problem for dinner conversation. Glad we went early.
- Great environment and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Great environment and food. Service is sub-par, but they seemed completely understaffed.Special Features:
- Italian FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012We have dined here twice with a group before attending nearby theater events. It is one of the best Italian restaurants around! Our favorites were the calamari, bruschetta, sangria, salmon and the ravioli. It had a fun atmosphere and a very friendly, outgoing staff. You can't go wrong with Trattoria Roma.Special Features:
- Special Christmas Tripcammie2Dined on 12/23/2012This was our annual Christmas trip into the city. We attended a performance at Second City, so we chose Trattoria Roma for a nice dinner. While I can't complain about anything in particular, we were not blown away. The atmosphere is nice and intimate and not too loud. The food and service were good, but not great or memorable.Special Features:
- Tratorria Roma is one of Chicago'sleepontonDined on 12/22/2012Tratorria Roma is one of Chicago's best Italian restaurants. It is truly a cozy, family-run spot with consistent and dependable food. We are happy to be regulars there.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012The food was fabulous. The server respected our time contraints. And the matre de (sp) was kind. The noise level was too loud and I could not hear the person across the table. Sitting in the center of the room as a 2-top was a drag. Between all the bumping and noise it was uncomfortable and annoying and it was difficult to enjoy the food. The restaurant should never sit a 2 top in the middle of that explosion of noise. Anyway, the food was fantastic and I will go back again but request a side table. In the summer it has a great outdoor area. p.s. the desert was a dream come true. Gelato in a dark chocalate covered shell shaped like an egg.Special Features:
- For us, a favorite dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/14/2012For us, a favorite dinner site before going to Second City. Atmosphere is always bright, upbeat and attentive. Good variety of menu choices excellently prepared and presented. Varied and fairly priced wine list.Special Features:
- I was surprised at how excellentdreytuchVIPDined on 12/9/2012I was surprised at how excellent the food is here, but I guess to survive this long in Old Town, it needs to be good. Linguine with clams was on the website, but not on the menu. We asked, and they made it for us in a fantastic white wine/garlic sauce. My shrimp with scallops spaghetti had just the right hint of spice and no fishy-ness to the scallops. Tasty house salad and great crispy bread. Desserts looked super, but we were full. Wine is only by the bottle, but you can bring your own. Only drawback was the smell of a not-so-clean mop that was probably used to mop the floors. Not a pleasant aroma during your meal, or to greet you when you come in. But, the food overcame it. Excellent, friendly service.Special Features:
- We were seated by the doorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012We were seated by the door and it was freezing...waiter was okay..he haf too many tables and was not as attentive as should be..we had to keep trying to find him to order more drinks..food was goodSpecial Features:
- A fun and unique dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/8/2012A fun and unique dining experience. We enjoyed every moment and every morsel. Highly recommended
- Very small, crowded and loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/7/2012Very small, crowded and loud. It was a size of someone's living room. Waiters couldn't pass without brushing against our chairs. The mood was spoiled by the bad (moldy??) smell coming from the basement. Food was OK.Special Features:
- We went here after going toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2012We went here after going to Second City. Had a table for 6 tucked in the front - very private. Restaurant is small, noise level very reasonable and food was good. Huge portions! Would go back again.Special Features:
- Had a 8:30 reservation onOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/30/2012Had a 8:30 reservation on a Friday evening. Food was marginal, service was marginal and it was as if the restaurant staff could not wait for us to leave. Never been to an Italian resturant that did not have Sambucca for an after-dinner drink
- Our waiter was amazing. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2012Our waiter was amazing. The wait staff was very personable and nice. It was my first time there and I went with a group of friends. The food was very delicious. I highly recommend this place and will be back.Special Features:
- Great service. UnfortunatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2012Great service. Unfortunately out of one dish... bad given limited menu - but enough great choices.Special Features:
- Can't beat the location butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Can't beat the location but food was cold and had to be returned for warming.Glass of Chianti was bad and had to be exchanged for a different glass of red wine. Server was pleasant and atmosphere was friendly. I would give the restaurant a second try and see if food improves.Special Features:
- To of mind is the intimateRalph18Dined on 11/24/2012To of mind is the intimate neighborhood atmosphere and obviously homemade al dente pasta. I had the whitefish which was excellent and those in my group who chose pasta were very satisified with the taste and quality. Would definitely consider a return visit when in the area!Special Features:
- We had a great time there.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012We had a great time there. The service was excellent. They even adapted the menu to our very high-maintenance requests. It was perfect, because we had dinner with our out of town guests and then we walked over to Second City. Our relatives from North Carolina love Chicago!Special Features:
- After going through a dryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2012After going through a dry spell as far as Italian food was concerned, it was wonderful to quench my appetite at Trattoria Roma! The neighborhood family-owned restaurant is cozy, warm, and friendly, with just the right amount of professionalism to make the evening fantastic. Our wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without being overbearing. The food was well-prepared and utterly delicious - I had intended to sample my meal and take home the rest, but the food was so good I ended up devouring everything and then spending the next couple of hours happily regretting my full belly. Trattoria Roma is a place I intend to visit again, and hopefully soon!Special Features:
- meravigliosoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2012The Spinach Ravioli, Osso Buco, and Muscles were exquisite. The Valpolicella Tommasi was superb with a vibrant berry finish and appealing nose. The Tiramisu is to die for and finishing the meal with a double espresso completed the perfect dining experience. La Trattoria Roma has a comfortable bar and is perfect for discussion. The service staff is knowledgeable and accommodating. A refreshing family owned authentic Italian restaurant. A wonderful experience! Bring friends, family, customers...Special Features: