147 Huron Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriapulcinella.net/
- Phone: 617-491-6336
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giovanni Oliva
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We close the restaurant for private party of 32 people and up.
- Private Party Contact: Giovanni 617-851-0371
A word from Trattoria Pulcinella
Trattoria Pulcinella is a nice family run business; we offer a lot of specials from our native Italy, like Wild boar prosciutto cured in the house, lamb, veal and fish's imported from Mediterranean sea. BUON APPETITOContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Trattoria Pulcinella - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Trattoria Pulcinella reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (19)romantic (11)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- order the baked pear appetizerrusticaDined on 10/4/2014The baked pear appetizer was one of the specials. It was out of this world. I could eat it every day! Also i love the decor, very rustic and warm.
- Off the beaten trackSuburbandadDined on 9/27/2014We were looking for Italian food, but didn't want to head into the North End and fight for parking so we thought we'd try something new. We were hoping to walk around Cambridge a little before dinner but the restaurant is too far away from the center for that to happen. The dinner was very good. We ate early so we were the only ones there in the beginning. You can tell that it is a family run restaurant, which we like. The food was very good, fresh, and well prepared. No frills, just good food. We enjoyed our dinner and would recommend trying it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFootballfemmeDined on 9/27/2014I had hoped to find a neighborhood gem, but instead Trattoria Pulcinella was a bit of a dud. Ordered a $25 special shrimp dish that, while tasty, included only 4 medium-sized shrimp (smaller than cocktail shrimp) and what seemed to be Barilla pasta. The $28 fish I ordered was overcooked, and there is just never a good excuse for overcooked fish. The restaurant wasn't even busy at the time. I won't be returning.
- Cambridge neighborhood ItalianBainesVIPDined on 9/18/2014A decent 'American' Italian restaurant, although not of the calibre of a true Italian. Perhaps it is the problem that the ingredients are never quite the same or as good in the US... rabbit, seafood, tomatoes, etc. But for a local dinner and a decent wine list in a charming place it is a good bet.
- Great ExperienceAcubeDined on 9/12/2014Great food, service and nice quiet location. I will be going back with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SpotFrancescaPVIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I were looking for a good, non-touristy place in Cambridge for dinner and were not disappointed with Trattoria Pulcinella. I felt like I was in my aunt and uncle's kitchen (in the best way). The staff were so attentive and friendly, the food was delicious, and we were recommended a great (and inexpensive) wine. It really is a neighborhood gem. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceKabbielDined on 8/31/2014Dinner at Pulcinella was wonderful. The food was delicious and authentic, the service was pleasant, warm and welcoming, the atmosphere was intimate and personable. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Tell all your friendsJemskiVIPDined on 8/23/2014It is unanimous, this place is an oasis of lovely eating so don't tell anyone. I agree with the first part but this trattoria deserves to be full every night. My first time here will certainly not be my last. Traditional menu, perfectly executed. Great flavours and their roasted red snapper brought a little tear to my eye. Excellent wines by the glass too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TavoDined on 8/1/2014I writing this a little bit reluctantly because Pulcinella is hidden gem, a small, romantic, quiet, excellent food and fantastic service, that we have always been able to dine when we wanted and good reviews have the potential of changing that. Attention from the staff and primarily the manager is excellent, the specials board always has a fresh fish (full of filet), many times Mediterranean fish seldom found in delicious preparationsSpecial Features:
- NagnogicenyOnlytealfoodVIPDined on 7/22/2014Exceptionally attentive service. Food cooked to order with special attention to detail. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of Italy on Avon HillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014We love Pulcinella!!! The ambience service and good are fantastic. It's a wa welcoming spot, where you can dine casually, without being rushed and enjoy some of the most wonderful pasta dishes anywhere in the boston area. We cannot say enough about it. It's the best kept secret on Cambridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't overlook this place!EatincambridgeVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a magnificent meal at Pulcinella this weekend. The pasta and halibut specials were as delicious, creative and well presented as an Italian food in the city. The family that owns and operates this restaurant give it a special and welcoming atmosphere and provide attentive service. We will return, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 238 reviews are from the Trattoria Pulcinella reviews archive.
- One of Cambridge's finest.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014If you want consistently good service, fine cooking and real value for your money-this Trattoria Pulcinella is the place for you. Its a family owned restaurant and the owner and chief cook is almost always there to supervise the cooking and presentation. attractive interior and good wine too.Special Features:
- GMAXBDined on 6/21/2014I left Cambridge in 1992, but was visiting this weekend and thrilled to see that Trattoria Pulcinella is still thriving. The food was fantastic; friendly service, nice wine list. I started with the bresaola, and went on to the rabbit stew. All perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place-real professionals!HugoVIPDined on 5/30/2014Dropped in the other night. They'd gotten slammed--a Harvard graduation table of 21 had turned up without much warning. The mom, daughter and granddaughter front-of-house kept everything moving, and the kitchen turned out the customary tasty, delicious, authentic Italian cuisine. The zucchini flowers are amazing. So too the lamb chaps. Just wonderful!Special Features:
- Perfect for Friday NightsPurplePandaVIPDined on 5/16/2014We visited Trattoria Pulcinella for the first time (on a Friday evening) after recently moving to Huron Village, and I think we've found the perfect place for an Italian fix. The food is delicious, there is a nice selection of Italian wines, and the team is appropriately attentive and very friendly. It's a relatively small and intimate space with an open kitchen, but we never had to strain to hear each other or raise our voices (unlike most places on a Friday). Simply a great place to dine and have a conversation any night of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local's secret (Shhh...)HugoVIPDined on 4/25/2014Enjoy fabulous, fabulous, food in a simple, unpretentious, environment? Well, it doesn't get any better than Pulcinella on Huron. Especially love the Carpaccio Di Bresaola and La Caprese starters. They have a smoked mozerally sometimes too, and a thin crust pizza, that are just amazing. For entrees, if they've the swordfish special, grab it. The lobster ravioli is also wonderful. Authentic flavors with the freshest ingredients--you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- The place is extremely small.chilirelleno1Dined on 4/12/2014The place is extremely small. They put 4 people into such a tiny table that my plate was partly off the edge. We did have a reservation. The food was fair. My rabbit was stringy and the sauce was flavorless. The pasta was OK but not excellent. The tiramisu was just OK. Somewhat flavorless. And it is expensive. Will not return.
- Molto eccelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/12/2014Quite simply, one of our favorite restaurants in Boston. For authentic Italian cooking and ambience, this tiny neighborhood restaurant is superb. I just wish it were in our neighborhood. As it is, we drive from the other side of the city at least a couple times a year to eat here. Most recently, we loved the spaghetti al nero di sepia. Pulcinella never disappoints us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemSusanDined on 4/1/2014This restaurant has been in the neighborhood for about 15 years. I've eaten there many times and always have enjoyed it. It is family run and they make efforts to please their guests. The chef will even gladly alter some of the dishes to taste. The tastes are "home made" and don't always remind you of what other more traditional restaurants serve. The wines are mostly Italian, reasonably priced and good. The pours "by the glass" are generous. It is a quiet spot, a "hidden gem" compared to the noisy trendy Cambridge restaurants.Special Features:
- Pulcinella's is a wonderfulKathyVIPDined on 3/28/2014Pulcinella's is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with a very attentive staff. It's as good as the north end, but much less hassle. Try the mozzarella appetizer and let the waitstaff recommend Italian wines. I like a small restaurant that doesn't rush you and seems to care if you have a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSGAincambDined on 3/20/2014We tried the zucchini flower pasta special b/c we enjoy having something not made at home. Bland bland and then some and my pasta was just barely al dente, and this added a starchy taste to the overall. Very over-priced for such basic and bland food.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian TrattoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014This restaurant has been here for 20 years, and is still a neighborhood favorite . It is small and comfortable, with white tablecloths, a rustic rafter ceiling, a semi-open kitchen and little else in the way of décor. Customers are greeted warmly. The menu is limited but carefully chosen, and is truly Italian, with a Tuscan emphasis. Service is friendly and leisurely, but not too slow unless you are on a tight schedule. Unless there are people waiting to be seated, you can sit and talk forever, even after you have finished with dinner. My husband and I love it and it is one of the first places we think of bringing our out-of-town friends to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality MaintainedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014The cooks and wait staff take pride in welcoming, preparing and serving patrons with a delicious dinner and memorable, quiet and fun evening. The quality of Pulcinella is always very high. Unlike an another Italian restaurant in the area you can also hear each other while enjoying the top notch dinner.Special Features:
- Romantic italian dinner for two!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2014This place is pretty small, 10-12 tables maybe. The decor is romantic and rustic - but not over the top. There is an open window into the kitchen where you can see the chef's preparing your meal - felt like it was just for us! The entrees were lovely, plenty of food but not lacking in flavor or quality - all handmade pastas and fresh cheeses. We got the bruschetta as an appetizer and it was wonderful. App, 2 wine, 2 entrees - bill was only $75! A perfect romantic dinner on a young professional's budget. Service was marvelous as well. Due to the size as well as the attentiveness, the waiter/host was never far!Special Features:
- Feb. 15 2014MikePDined on 2/15/2014Excellent local restaurant with very good Italian flavor menu.Special Features:
- Valentine SpecialKMusicusDined on 2/14/2014I have severe allergies. It was crowded so to make things easy I asked chef to recommend. AWESOME FOOD. It looked like a spinach jelly roll. So pretty. So healthy. Sojust plain delicious. The wait staff dealt with the allergy well. Instead of the usual argument when I ask to let the chef decide, she did look at me oddly, but politely asked the chef. The ambiance is always special here. But, on Valentine's Day, people were slow to leave and; with an 8:30 reservation; we had a bit of a wait. Freezing, bitter, cold night. So we three couples crowded in, the staff was appropriately polite and cheerful. The 15 delay simply made for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I had read mixed reviews of this restaurant, but given it's proximity to our house, we decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, the bad reviews won out. They had a great many reservations, and were completely understaffed (in fact, they had no dedicated wait staff, just a mother-daughter pair). The food would have tasted a lot better had it not been served barely lukewarm. We sent it back to the kitchen and it came back warmer, but barely so. We will not be returning.
- We had an excellent meal andKristinDined on 2/14/2014We had an excellent meal and the service was great. They didn't make us feel rushed so it was very relaxing. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to dine in Huron Village3sistersVIPDined on 1/15/2014This is a great spot for delicious Italian food at a reasonable price. Wine list (for White) by the glass is limited. But the specials are always terrific and the wait staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/15/2013Nice ambiance and pleasant service. Food was fair. Pasta Carbonara was unremarkable and shrimps came grilled with the shells on. Small place, good for a winter's snowy night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Pulcinella - 11/30/2013CabbageDined on 11/30/2013While the service and atmosphere were VERY good, we felt the portions and the quality of the food did not merit the pricing. The food was good and the ingredients tasted fresh, but $22 was a bit steep for a plate of paccheri style pasta and just two meatballs. Also the Insalata di Capri (Caprese Salad) did not merit it's $14 price tag either...good, just not great. We had high expectations that weren't quite met by the overall meal.
- Italian GemMikePDined on 11/23/2013Never been disappointed with restaurant. It is small (~10 tables) so personal service is assured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've eaten at Trattoria PulcinellaDBBrooklineDined on 11/16/2013We've eaten at Trattoria Pulcinella twice and both times had a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/16/2013We've been going to Trattoria Pulcinella for years, and are never disappointed. It's one of the most authentically Italian restaurants in Greater Boston. Our most recent dinner was great -- interesting specials, relaxed pace, great wine and food recommendations. All four of us were happy with what we ordered. Veal and seabream specials big hits. Not overly fancy or inventive dishes, just really nicely prepared and seasoned food, prepared and served by folks who take pride in what they do. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place, small likeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2013love this place, small like being in the north end but betterSpecial Features:
- Fresh food, simply preparedLisaVIPDined on 10/20/2013Fresh food, simply prepared and delicious. Wonderful place to go when you want to have a conversation.
- Waste of MoneySiennaDined on 10/12/2013Pulchinella was a big disappointment despite the good online reviews I read before going. Now that I've been, friends tell me it does not excel in food preparation-wish I'd check with them first. Despite the intimate atmosphere and good service, the food left us cold. There just was no real taste to it. I left feeling like I hadn't eaten, despite the decent portion size. I suggest people head for the North End if you want authentic Italian food. Too bad since it was close to my home and was looking for a favorite neighborhood haunt.
- Good traditional ItalianJimmyDined on 10/11/2013Food and ambiance were great but food took over an hour to get out. Was a busy Friday night but still disappointing.Special Features:
- BewareAghastDined on 10/9/2013Order wine by the bottle....deceptive practice witnessed. Food good will not return.