304 Johnson Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trattorianostrani.com/
- Phone: 5059833800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Tuesday through Saturday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nelli Maltezos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Customized menus, flowers upon request, and formal service available.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Stapelman 5059833800
- Special Events: Follow us on facebook
A word from Trattoria Nostrani
Trattoria Nostrani offers innovative Northern Italian cuisine with a European wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Nostrani reviews from OpenTable diners
- We were anticipating a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2012We were anticipating a fabulous meal, and we were not disappointed. We started with a special appetizer of local Porcini mushrooms that was out of this world. I could go on and on about the food, but you should just try this place yourself. However, let me warn you that the chairs in the dining room are terribly uncomfortable. If you are a party of two, try to sit on a corner banquette so as to avoid the chairs.Special Features:
- Vivre!eigenv1Dined on 6/19/2012One of the finest restaurants in Santa Fe (and elsewhere), Trattoria Nostrani is no longer in existence but, the good news is that the inspired chef, Nellie Maltezos has opened up a new restaurant in the same location. That new restaurant, Vivre, specializes in French cuisine. Can hardly wait to visit Vivre.Special Features:
- Every bit of food was superb.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2012Every bit of food was superb. The waiter was attentive but not obsequious. The pacing of the meal was excellent. We walked from our hotel and enjoyed the walk and especially the really outstanding meal.Special Features:
- The entire experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2012The entire experience was absolutely charming. Best part of the meal - the beet salad! Simply amazing.Special Features:
- Our 2nd visit. They say youfoodie57VIPDined on 5/15/2012Our 2nd visit. They say you can't repeat successes but they did. Dinner was equally as good the 2nd time. It's become my new favorite restaurant in Santa Fe.Special Features:
- The food was flavorful, butFoodloverDined on 5/5/2012The food was flavorful, but we expected more from this restaurant. Veal Scallopini was delicious, however no mushrooms or pasta. The salmon was good, but the portion was ridiculously small. Two small mounds the size of a half dollar..nothing else with it. Not excited about paying $18 for a glass of house wine. Our total bill for 1 salad (which we shared), veal scallopini (only), salmon, (only) and two glasses of house wine.....$180 including tax and tip. I would not recommend a friend to go.Special Features:
- Food was quality. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2012Food was quality. Service was spotty. In addition to not "checking-in" our OpenTable reservation, they were slow with bread service and water. We were the first diners, followed by a regular who was seated two tables away from us. The chef came out to offer him special off menu items and brought him an entire on-the-house amuse bouche (size of an appetizer). Completely understandable but the chef did not say a word to us on her way back to the kitchen. Not good to make guests feel like they are getting the C-treatment. That said, food was okay (think Otto quality) but high prices (at Del Posto price points).Special Features:
- Excellent food with each itemfrannieDined on 4/28/2012Excellent food with each item having their own unique flavor. Presentation also well done. Five stars+. High on our recommendation list.Special Features:
- Exceptional from the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2012Exceptional from the best grilled asparagas ever through to the desserts, we were wowed! Truly the most succulent stuffed grilled pork chop, the lightest smoked trout ravioli, delectable quail for our main courses. Although the restaurant's Italian, as you can see by our choices, a wonderful selection to chose from. They have a no cologne/perfume policy which was welcomed! Great selection of wines. High recommendation for others to try. Can't say enough kudos for our time there was unexpectedly cherished.Special Features:
- Light and delicious food.Begood2urselfDined on 3/31/2012Light and delicious food. Knowledgable staff, but not too friendly.Special Features:
- The meal was nearly perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012The meal was nearly perfect! The service was great. Our server was attentive without hoovering.Special Features:
- Very good food, although tooOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012Very good food, although too much butter in both pastas. Waiter was seasoned and informative but a bit uninterested, he took my first glass of wine away before I finished. Love the restaurant & will return.Special Features:
- Always fantastic food andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2012Always fantastic food and service. Quality for a price. An unusual moment when my wife was displeased with her pork chop......dry and bland. Waiter promptly offered replacement and a quick-turnaround item was selected.We always visit Trattoria Nostrani when in Santa Fe. Returning from New Orleans, Trattoria Nostrani can match or exceed their best.Special Features:
- We continue to return to thisReinhardVIPDined on 3/13/2012We continue to return to this favorite spot in Santa Fe and are NEVER disappointed. We've never had an "off" meal in this great restaurant. The knowledgeable wait staff is helpful and efficient. Our group sampled across the menu and everything was "pitch-perfect". Eric, the owner adds a special and personal touch. Don't miss this treat when you visit Santa FeSpecial Features:
- The Best of Best!CocoDined on 2/25/2012What a wonder restaurant, the food was outstanding our compliments to the chef.Special Features:
- Awesome. Expect do dish outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Awesome. Expect do dish out $150 for a dinner for two.Special Features:
- Do Not Recommend Trattoria NostraniOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2012Would not recommend - we visited to celebrate our 33rd anniversary and regretted spending it at Trattoria. Small portions, very expensive prices - although the small portions were nicely presented. We felt ignored by the waiter who occasionally stopped by with a mightier than thou attitude. We would much rather recommend El Meson - generous portions, waiters that appreciate their customers and ambiance that helps celebrate special occasions. Nathan at El Meson congratulated us on our anniversary and the restaurant went out of their way to make it special for us. We join multiple reviewers lamenting the high cost and poor quality of the service, demeanor, and portions offered by this establishment.
- Chef Nelli is a Santa Fe treasure.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2012Chef Nelli is a Santa Fe treasure. Everything she serves has flavors that are appropriate which for most courses means complex and distinguished.Special Features:
- We have eaten here in SantaBigChiefMountainVIPDined on 1/31/2012We have eaten here in Santa Fe on several other occasions and once again, the food was wonderful and presentation very special. The service is always attentive and we look forward to the chef's creative creations on our next visit. Quite a gem, right behind the Eldorado on a very quiet street.Special Features:
- Our meal was superb in everyhighdesertgalVIPDined on 1/28/2012Our meal was superb in every detail, the service excellent. Every dish was elegant and nuanced - expertly prepared with a classic sensibility. The wine selection offers knowledgeable breadth and depth to complete the experience.Special Features:
- wonderful dinning! WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012wonderful dinning! Waiter was superb, winelist perfect.Special Features:
- While the food was good, itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2012While the food was good, it was overpriced. 14 dollars for a small dessert and 14 dollars for a glass of wine are good examples. Attitude comes across in small ways to reinforce this good but not great restaurant.Special Features:
- Second dinner this trip--theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/31/2011Second dinner this trip--the first was Christmas day. The menu was the same both times which was great since we could sample many dishes. Four of us loved every bite of our respective meals--highest quality (Burrata cheese, amazing rib eye steak, fork tender veal, amazing soup, special sauces, etc.) Service was top notch--a lovely evening all around. I know some people expect a very fancy environment, given the price point and food quality, but we prefer more $s towards food than decor--just a very comfortable spot.Special Features:
- This is our third time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2011This is our third time eating at Trattoria Nostrani. Ambiance and setting is charming. Service was poor. The waiter did not ask us how our food was. What's worse, after we had placed our order our waiter attended to the table next to us and explained a couple of truffle specials that he did not inform us about. We ate truffles a year ago December at La Beaugravière in Provence so we would not have ordered it. It is just the principle that the waiter selectively informs patrons of the specials. Finally, my wife's pappardelle, which was supposed to have saffron in it, had absolutely no saffron in the dish.Special Features:
- Trattoria Nostrani is greatlyFoodloverDined on 12/29/2011Trattoria Nostrani is greatly over rated. It seems that they are banking on their inclusion in the top 50 restaurants of the US, and no longer need to extend the effort to stay a high quality dining experience. I have dined in many wonderful world class restaurants... this is not one of them. The maitre de treated his clients with disdain. We had reservations and although the restaurant was nearly empty, were seated at the worst table near the door in the cold draft of winter. It was my birthday dinner. The waiter was kind but the food was quite disappointing. The pasta course was bland and underseasoned. The leek soup was tasty. I did not feel any reason to waste any more time or money at this locale and left before dessert.
- One barely needs to writeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2011One barely needs to write a review of this restaurant time after time that I frequent this place while in Santa fe. It is the best of Santa Fe, best of the west in general in my opinion. Not well advertised with the tourist crowd. Thank God. It is one of those restaurants that will remain in your memory and palette forever. I had the lobster risotto and the best risotto I've ever had. The chef wanders about the dining room occasionally and her presence is welcomed. She is shy and truly an artist in every way....Special Features:
- Cozy, homey place for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2011Cozy, homey place for a great dinner. All the dishes my wife and I had were perfectly prepared and seasoned (Alto-Adige Speck w mostarda, arugula-fennel salad, Squid-ink risotto w calamari, and Gnocchi with lobster sauce). The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. We passed on dessert in lieu of an espresso, and they not-only comped the coffee, but added in some excellent biscotti as well. We enjoyed Trattoria Nostrani immensely and will definitely go back - Well done!Special Features:
- The chef at Nostrani is perhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/14/2011The chef at Nostrani is perhaps the best in Santa Fe!Special Features:
- We went to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2011We went to this restaurant because of the yelp review. While the food was excellent, it was not what I would usually think of Italian - more like Mediterranean. The ambience was more like a corner diner than an expensive restaurant. I don't think we will go there again.
- Good Food but lacking warmthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Good food and service but the staff appeared very snobby. Our experience lacked the warmth and friendliness we expect from high end restaurants. They do not like any cell phone usage even if you are looking something up online.
- The truth as I see it!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/12/2011Having only moved to Santa Fe 1.5 years ago, it's taken us some time to get to this controversial restaurant. Here is my take: Is it a top 50 restaurant in the US? No way. Is it the best restaurant in Santa Fe? No way. Is it the best Italian restaurant in Santa Fe? Yes, but Italian is Santa Fe's weakest cuisine. Is it a very good restaurant? Absolutely. The escarole soup was very nice. The pork tenderloin with cherries & brussel sprouts was fantastic but the cocoa anglotti with pork belly sounding great was a little underwhelming. Service was excellent but got a point taken off for splitting our soup course without asking, that drives me nuts. Not as expensive as it pretends to be with it's $$$$ rating, we'll be back to try mSpecial Features:
- Some dishes were better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011Some dishes were better than others. The bufala with orange & fennel & the pork with cherries & brussel sprouts were fantastic. The fish my dining companion had less so. Pastas very good although not particularly noteworthy or standout. Staff was friendly and we appreciated the wine suggestion. Altogether a very pleasant dining experience, but didn't meet the hype (if you're taking yourself so seriously that you impose a no-fragrance policy, you need to recognize that you're setting a certain expectation).
- The food I did not think rankedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2011The food I did not think ranked in one of the 50 best in the US. Nothing interesting or particular that stood out. We took the chef's suggestions but were disappointed. Certainly does not come close to Babbo's, which is also Northern Italian.
- we heard rave reviews on thisspringerVIPDined on 10/13/2011we heard rave reviews on this place. while we were not actually disappointed, we were not blown away either. it's a very nice restaurant with very good food. will we return?.......probably not.
- This restaurant was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2011This restaurant was recommended by three friends who had visited Santa Fe and had dinner here. They indicated that this was a must place to dine. My party of four thought that the recommendations did not do justice to the service, attention to detail, and quality of food; it was better This was an outstanding experience!Special Features:
- Consistently among the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2011Consistently among the best in Santa Fe. Settle in for an Italian meal you won't forget. Amazing preparations and an excellent wine list as well. The servers know the menu and are astute in pairing wines. Rich, clean flavors. Perfect portions. A delightful discussion ensued among our group about the preparations, the ingredients and the combinations of flavors. From antipasto through dessert, our entire group was pleased. (Don't be put off by the no-fragrance policy. You wouldn't want someone's overpowering odor to interfere with your enjoyment.)Special Features:
- We had an incredible dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/23/2011We had an incredible dinner on Friday night. Brent was a fantastic server who anticipated our every need. The fried calamari starter and the mussel soup were wonderful . I had the quail and my husband had the veal. Everything was perfect!Special Features:
- The restaurant had good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2011The restaurant had good service and food. However, the ambiance is a plain looking house. We were shown a table in the back room and my view was a cupboard with boxes stacked on top. It was a let down after they billed themselves as a Top 50 resturant.Special Features:
- The food was greasy and tasteless.rogerVIPDined on 9/21/2011The food was greasy and tasteless. The service was arrogant and rude. We would never go back to Trattoria Nostrani. Neither should anyone else.
- Wonderful food as this wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2011Wonderful food as this was our second visit within the last six weeks!Special Features: