1250 22nd Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicolasdc.com/
- Phone: 2024494011x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joud Achkar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available in the Wine Room adjacent to the bar.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo Giannetti 2024494011x
A word from Trattoria Nicola's
A comfortable neighborhood Trattoria located between Georgetown and Dupont Circle serving rustic Italian cuisine. Trattoria Nicola's features a dramatic entrance on 23rd street, al fresco dining on the patio and private dining available in the Wine Room adjacent to the bar. The main dining area is split level and features romantic high backed booths and rich, colorful decor that stimulates the appetite. The sophisticated bar features happy hour and daily martini specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Nicola's reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Lunch buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014Lunch buffet was great. There was a really good selection of well prepared, fresh options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, No AmbianceJLR28VIPDined on 8/3/2014We chose Trattoria Nicola because of its Foggy Bottom location and availability for an early dinner (5 pm) following a Kennedy Center matinee performance to complete an early birthday celebration. We had to find an employee to seat us and the restaurant (in the Embassy Suites) was empty when we arrived. Our server was good and so was the food. The ambiance, however, left a lot to be desired. The music was played too loud and provided a jarring note - old rock standards in a restaurant serving Italian food. Ugh! Somone kept adjusting the lights up and down while we were there - a second negative. I won't go back for a second meal. Too many other choices in the neighborhood.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The food was good the variety was perfect and we enjoy the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014One other table seated besides our own. Waitress did not come to even greet us until 10-15 after being seated; we were about to leave. Waitress also unknowledgeable about wines confusing my order of Cabernet Sauvignon with Sauvignon Blanc; fortunately she checked and verified with the bartender. Food did come out in a timely manner though and was appetizing.
- Pre-movie diningFormerFedVIPDined on 7/14/2014Had never eaten at Trattoria Nicola's even though I live just three blocks away and decided to drop in for an early dinner before seeing "Henry IV-Part II" at the West End Cinema across the street. The dining room was vacant when I arrived a little before 5 PM and only one couple arrived during my meal. Hope lunch and hotel business is enough to keep the place open. Had the soup of the day: a very tasty Mushroom Brie, an "Italian" hamburger, and a peach and berries cobbler. All were good. Trattoria Nicola's is a little expensive, but I'll keep it in mind for before and after future West End Cinema shows.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical Hotel RestaurantFoodaholicDined on 6/28/2014Although the restaurant was basically empty, we were seated adjacent to the bar where a rather large and loud group was 'enthusiastically' watching a game on the television. Before dinner was served, we were provided an incredibly small plate of bread to share, and when quickly disappeared among the four of us, the bread plates abruptly swept away without inquiring if it was alright or if we would like any more bread. The same abrupt clearing of plates occurred again with dinner, which indicates they wanted us to hurry and leave, even though the place remained relatively vacant. Everybody did enjoy their dinner choices, though. The pasta dishes were delicious, and my husband enjoyed a steak salad. Not a DC destination.
- EatemupVIPDined on 6/21/2014It was pretty empty for a Saturday night. The food was good even though the cannoli was not traditional it was still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianBistroluvDined on 5/16/2014Good food and wine, a little pricey but not awful. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- withayDined on 5/10/2014great disappointment; had been looking forward to trying for years; curiosity satisfied - no need to return.
- The following 172 reviews are from the Trattoria Nicola's reviews archive.
- Almost as bad as going toCanoeVIPDined on 3/26/2014Almost as bad as going to old Holiday Inn for dinner. Restaurant well worn, decor out of date, sadly needing overhaul! If we had realized it was in a hotel, Embassy Suite, second thoughts on choice would saved us a disappointing evening. It was clear the hotel condition was not much better, lots of lights were out, drab!!, Open Table should delete this choice, reflects badly on them.
- A little gemTBJRDined on 2/25/2014I usually ind that restaurants located inside of hotels are marginal at best, over priced with mediocre food. Trattoria Nicola's is an exception. Prices are moderate, food quality very good and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for Lunch Than DinnerVickieDined on 2/20/2014I work close to Nicola's, so we go there for lunch on weekdays, and I've always found the lunch buffet to be quite good. This visit was my first time doing dinner here, and I found it slightly less impressive (though certainly still decent). The service was definitely very good, but the food was lackluster. I had the chicken alfredo, and the sauce was bland and much thinner than what I believe a great alfredo sauce should be. The one thing that was really good was the dessert--tiramisu and chocolate hot lava cake. Overall, I think I'll stick to coming to Nicola's for lunch rather than dinner. (For a great Italian dinner experience, I would recommend Philomena in Georgetown; slightly more expensive, but definitely worth it!)Special Features:
- excellent buffet lunchtruetoformDined on 1/17/2014You'll never find a better buffet lunch in DC for $12 (includes soft drinks). Wide variety of Italian salads, frittata, pasta, antipasto, great bread, and fabulous desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical Hotel RestaurantHBGfoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2013There was no need for reservations, the place was practically empty. The menu was small and boring. We all ended up with pizza, which was mediocre at best. Definitely wouldn't tho back and would not recommend.Special Features:
- Carb-Load before MCM 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2013Service was non-existent for a bit and we never really knew who our server was, there were different people that came by intermittently. It is attached to the Embassy Suites. The food was ok. Not awesome & small portions which was disappointing given that we were trying to eat pasta to run faster! The decor is rather blah & the entryway & the center section of seating is only separated by a glass half-wall. Kind of annoying every time someone comes in the door.Special Features:
- After movie biteSoozQVIPDined on 10/4/2013Great place to stop in after taking in a movie at the West End Theatre.
- Always excellent food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2013Always excellent food and excellent service. It's hard to find a place in DC that is quiet at lunch time. This is it!!Special Features:
- Nice experience overall!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2013Good food, service and even an unexpected 10 percent off. House wine washer than adequate, and the chicken with capers was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, top quality serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2013The service provided by the waiter made up for the averageness of the food. The marinara served with the fried zuchinni was on the bland side. The chicken for the chicken parmigana was a nice sized piece, but again the sauce was not the best, just had an okay taste. The caramel chocolate mousse cake was delicious, except the name is misleading as the only noticeable caramel was the caramel sauce that was drizzled on the plate, barely enough to taste. Overall the food was okay, the service was great, and was good enough for a hotel restaurant for a meal where I did not want to walk around to find a dining option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad shabby for a hotelClaroVIPDined on 8/10/2013The pizza was better than roomservice, and less expensive!
- quiet soothing place with good foodchefmomVIPDined on 8/3/2013This place is part of the Embassy Suites where we stayed for a meeting. Usually we avoid hotel restaurants but we were tired and in need of a less loud, busy restaurant than those we had experienced in DC the previous few days. We were pleasantly surprised. The place was very quiet, dim lighting, and great service. We arrived in time for the half price happy hour appetizers and some drinks. Calamari was nicely fried and had a good marinara sauce; Caesar salad was large, fresh with a very nice dressing. We both ordered small pizzas which were more than enough to eat . They had a crisp thin crust with the right amount of sauce and cheese. Our waiter was pleasant and attentive and did not rush us at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, quiet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2013Tucked away in an Embassy Suites away from a main traffic street, this trattoria lacks ambience and also seemed to lack customers on a Saturday night. We were among only about a dozen diners in a large room in the middle of a Saturday night. The food, however, was well prepared and portions sizable (I couldn't finish a grilled chicken paillard). The lack of customers also made conversation possible, a welcome change from the experiences we had at two of Washington's hot spots--Founding Farmers and Old Ebbitt Grill. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Great meet-up spotMaydayDined on 6/13/2013I didn't realize this was a part of the hotel building when I asked my friends to meet me there for dinner. Reduced price drinks for happy hour were great. We had salad, entrees and 2 desserts. Everything was tasty. We took our time and talked - not many other diners so quiet and attentive server. Definitely good prices for good food and a quiet respite from the usual noisy and packed DC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was spectacular!!anglikesseafoodVIPDined on 4/30/2013The food was spectacular!! We thought we were in Florence, Italy. Everything was fresh and tasty. The service was great and the restaurant was nicely decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK For lunch, but Lacks distinctionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2013We shared a pasta appetizer with parmesan sauce which was quite good. My dining partner had swordfish which he labeled dry and was unfinished. My chicken piccata with arugala was quite picquant but lacked sophistication. Bar drinks were pedestrian at best. A Margarita was sent back. My gin an tonic lacked any distinction. We did not consider dessert.Special Features:
- such slooooooow service -KmcbVIPDined on 4/14/2013such slooooooow service - waiter had to be constantly prompted to return to table. He was much more interested in "chatting it up" at the bar than waiting on us. Restaurant was almost empty,even though it is attached to an Embassy Suites hotel, so that was not the problem. Pizza was decent - thin crust, not much sauce, and cheesy. Prices reasonable. Would return for take-out pizza as I live in the neighborhood.
- restaurant was just ok. foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013restaurant was just ok. food and service was fair.
- Food was very tasty & wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Food was very tasty & well prepared. Service was not particularly attentive, but was adequate.
- Very nice discovery. We wentJuanjoVIPDined on 3/3/2013Very nice discovery. We went early and on a cold sunday, and it was nearly empty, but both, the food and the service were very good. The only minor fault is the the white wine that we ordered was not cold enough, and they did notd anticipate, and thus did not find a way, as we were ordering by the glass, to keep it on ice to improve glass after glass..Special Features:
- Like Salt?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/23/2013The food was extremely salty in order to cover up the blandness of the real taste. The best thing about the food was the bread they brought out before our meal.
- We found this place next toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013We found this place next to our hotel we stayed at. The food was not great. My husband was not impressed with his food. I ordered ravioli ricotta and it came out hard as a rock and with meat inside (the menu didn't state it was a meat ravioli. They did take my food off the bill which I appreciated. My 6 year old daughter ordered the kids fettuccini and it came out heaped in a small bowl which was hard to eat (they should have put it on a plate. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. The service however was the best part.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/13/2013Trattotia Nicola's was a surprising find. I didn't know what to expect when I realized it was located in an Embassy Suites hotel. While the seating arrangements are a bit more open than the OpenTable description suggestions, the atmosphere was nice and cozy. The service was EXCELLENT and I really enjoyed the food. Don't get put off by the prices, the food was very good, except for the apple tart thing...it was cold when it should have been hot. All in all, Nicola's is well worth a visit.
- Delicious and worth the effortOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/6/2013Off the beaten path, but worth it. The asparagus wrapped in prosciutto was delicious, as was the ravioli with prosciutto and ricotta. The tortellone with spinach and ricotta, in a white wine sauce, was a special, but was AMAZING and hopefully going on the regular menu. The service was very nice and unobtrusive--never in the way, but any time I looked around, someone was there. Nice wine selection. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- An affordable DC restaurantWeekendiner1Dined on 2/1/2013Nice non pretentious DC restaurant in the Embassy Suite Hotel. Very good food at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Terrible FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/1/2013The food was TERRIBLE --- even DEPLORABLE !!! It was listed as an Italian Restaurant --- first hint that it wasn't going to make the grade: There were no pasta spoons at the place settings. The salad had brown stems and produce. The bleu cheese crumbles were good - how could you ruin already molded cheese? Entree was Chicken Alfredo. The Alfredo sauce was definitely a mix --- little more that warm skim milk with some powdered cheese product. The chicken was 1/2 in square cubes of chicken chunks. The pasta was uninspiring. Appetizer was Calamari --- heavy batter fried rubber bands would have been tastier. The food was terrible. The mgmt and the parents of unruly children chose not to manage their noise. The server was pleasa
- Fresh and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2013I went twice and enjoyed the experience equally. The food is fresh and perfectly served. Service was superb.Special Features:
- Don't pass by!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/13/2013WE LOVE Trattoria Nicola...One of our favorites!! The food is amazing...a party in your mouth!!Special Features:
- Great food to share! Big pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2013Great food to share! Big pasta portions for lunch...Special Features:
- Convenient for Embassy SuitesNJDinerDined on 12/26/2012Convenient for Embassy Suites hotel guests, but nothing special.
- Great lunch findtruetoformDined on 12/13/2012Fantastic buffet brunch including non-alcoholic beverages for $12. You can't go wrong. The food is incredible!Special Features: