336 South Lake Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trattorianeapolis.com/
- Phone: (626) 792-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday 1130am to 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday 11am to 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11am to 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Clinton Mccann
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are not doing catering at this time, but may do so in the future.
- Special Events: We hold Wine Dinners, Wine Tastings, Beer Dinners, Beer Tastings. We do a special a la Carte Brunch every weekend.
- Cross Street: Del Mar
- Public Transit: South Lake Avenue Gold Station
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have abundant parking in a large lot directly behind the restaurant and on the street in front of the restaurant. The lot behind the restaurant offers free for 2 hours during the day and free parking for an unlimited amount of time after 5pm (until 2am).
A word from Trattoria Neapolis
We are a Modern American Italian restaurant on Zagat's list of the Top 12 New Restaurants in Los Angeles We have a beautiful design, a wood burning oven and grill, and serious cocktail, wine, beer and coffee programs. Our Cocktail Director was nominated for Best Bartender in America, our Wine Director is Vice President of the North American Sommelier Association, and our Beer Director was called the "Best Beer Sommelier in Los Angeles" by Los Angeles Magazine. We serve lunch and dinner seven days a week, brunch every weekend. We also hold wine dinners, beer dinners and have three beautiful areas for private events. We have free (with some restrictions) abundant parking directly behind the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Trattoria Neapolis - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Trattoria Neapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (40)special occasion (37)romantic (31)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good Food with Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014We got there right when they opened for lunch and was seated immediately. After 30 minutes of the wait-staff ignoring us, I had to flag our waitress down to take our order. This is not the first "forever experience" I've had here. Though the food is good, the the ambiance is beautiful and I like the owner, the service has been poor -- regardless if there's 2 other tables like for lunch this time or a full house at dinner. I keep coming back hoping to will change.
- Dining on AmbianceDessertarianDined on 11/13/2014Trattoria Neapolis is a good choice for ladies who lunch or a business luncheon. The ambiance allows for conversation and relaxed dining. The service is friendly and unobtrusive. The menu is varied and has choices for every sized appetite. There are a number of half/half choices, e.g., half a salad w/half a pasta, or soup and salad combos. I have dined here several times and always wish the food were just a bit better, e.g., this time my arugula salad was so salty as to be inedible and the pasta bolognese watery. However, the chocolate semi-freddo compensated for what was lacking in the entree, beautifully plated and creative w/ nutella crunchies - and I don't generally like nutella! It has a vibrant bar scene and Happy Hour and seems a good place to go for a Friday evening. I continue to give this place a chance because it has potential. I like Italian food. There is ample free parking in back. The price point is good for hosting luncheons and dinners. It is one of the few places where one can dine comfortably and carry on a decent conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, better servicearryanaDined on 11/9/2014I've been to Trattoria Neapolis many times and they never disappoint. The service is great, the decor is beautiful, and the menu is eclectic. It doesn't matter what you order - all the items are chockful of flavor. The drinks are made well and if you have room - get the coffee! They brew Stumptown Coffee which is divine! Trattoria Neapolis is walking distance from where I work but it's worth the drive too.Special Features:
- Fix the service attitudesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014Had reservations so would have nice dinner on the way home from LAX last Thursday evening. No menus provided for well over 20 minutes. Went downhill from there. This was our third try at this place and keep hoping we won't feel like we are imposing. The food is very good and we love to see Lake Avenue support quality businesses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service a bit lacking.VerhieDined on 11/3/2014My friends and I went for a girls' night out and found it to be a beautiful setting and the food was excellent! Unfortunatelly, the waiter did not come by often enough to fill our needs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely setting, food not greatAboutTown1Dined on 10/19/2014Sat on the patio and felt like I was in Europe...loved it! Service was good but the food was not great. Order the bread/pastry plate and it tarred like v day old breads, dry, child, and semi hard. Lobster hash is not hash at all and too rich to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014We'd had 2 very nice meals here before and liked the lovely warm interior, so took 3 friends for dinner before a play. Service was mixed--very friendly server, but twice abruptly left when we paused in ordering. The second time, he was gone a very long time. He apologized and thanked us for our patience, and later, poured us each a complimentary splash of a nice wine. Food was mixed. One of us was served the wrong pasta. The replacement was also not what he'd ordered, but he kept it and it was delicious. Pizzas were underdone--limp and doughy. A pasta with seafood had a very bland sauce--pomodoro pasta was much better. Desserts were very good. Kitchen was out of all chicken. A party of 30 seemed to have challenged the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fast foodJ2x1VIPDined on 10/14/2014This is my favorite Italian spot in Pasadena. Disappointed that the food was so slow arriving that 3 from my party of 8 needed to box it up so they could make their flights. I will take the blame for the communication but it was a 2 and a half hour dinner when my group unfortunately did not have the time to spare. The creativity and quality of all.the dishes remains outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpikeDined on 10/12/2014This visit ( 2:30 Sunday brunch)was disappointing as there was only one waiter working for the whole place ! We were served after 10 minutes, by the waitress who had just finished her shift . This was the first time in 5 visits we have been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ItalianItalianDined on 10/11/2014The serice was great. The food was fantastic. We had a booth and it was quiet and intimate. We had a great time. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- SamsonDined on 10/10/2014This is the third time at Neapolis. The food is very good and the selection good. The atmosphere is wonderful. The service was excellent except for a bit of a wait for our bill at the end. One thing I like about Neapolis is that they have different special deals Monday through Thursday, e.g., no corkage fee on Thursdays, low priced house wine, inexpensive two course dinners, etc. They also are great for community, hosting fund raisers, wine tastings and so forth. A great addition to the Pasadena dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving the new menuLoveFoodVIPDined on 10/7/2014Went there a couple of times when it first opened and never seemed to find anything on the menu I loved. Just went back and there were so many things on the menu that interested me it was hard to pick. My party of 3 all loved their entrees. We will be back!
- 874654Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant was uncomfortably cold. We had a waiter (the one with the accent) who seemed not to want to bother with us when we didn't order wine or a drink initially (despite the fact that we both later got wine). I wouldn't say he was rude, he just seemed to put forth almost no effort and sort of clunked our plates down on the table and tried to take some of the food away before we were finished with it. It was my second time at the restaurant - my first visit was a lot better (with the same waiter). Not sure if the first visit went better because I was with a man - he seemed to react oddly to 2 women having dinner, which is really bizarre. Based on this visit I'd say not worth the price.Special Features:
- Almost new, and highly improvedBabycakes84VIPDined on 9/26/2014Neapolis is clearly one of the most beautiful restaurants in Pasadena. The owner made certain of that. Now, this same owner/proprietor has achieved what he sought to do : to have the food and service match the gorgeous decor. The new chef and GM have obviously had a huge impact. The food is delectable, beautiful to look at, delicious to consume, and exciting. Moreover, on our last two visits, the staff has been outstanding: welcoming, prompt, knowledgeable, and attentive. Don't leave without trying the meatballs (sounds mundane, but there are layers of flavor), and end your meal with the bombolino. Wines, even by the glass, are well chosen.Special Features:
- Wine Events and Menu are ExcellentSwiftyDined on 9/18/2014We attended a wine dinner with Frog's Leap here, and had a blast. A perfect pairing of food to wine and hospitable staff.Special Features:
- Creative atmosphereSaturdaynightspecialDined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit to Trattoria Neapolis. It had been the site of a real estate office previously, and the interior space was quit unusual and worked well. The service was very professional, and at one point the owner came over to greet us and chat us up. That was fine, but my husband did not appreciate the "hard sell" to come back for brunch some time. I didn't think that was too pushy, but usually when the owner comes by, it is usually less of an advertisement. Our dinner specials (halibut) were disappointing, and overpriced. The foccacia bread was outstanding, and the panne cotta divine. Our dinner partner's pasta dishes were fine. We may return, but have other Italian restaurants we prefer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruinVIPDined on 8/31/2014We came here for lunch and the food was great. Service was exceptional, we would come back!Special Features:
- surprisingly blandjfysh21Dined on 8/30/2014We went here for the 1st time so I hate to judge on that but we were not impressed. On Saturday nite it was not crowded.. maybe.. our 1st clue. Booths were great..old world tile, antique mirrored walls. Great decor. I ordered the halibut special w.cream of broccoli soup starter. Soup was so bland, needed salt which was very hard to attain from the waiter. Had to ask busboy. Waiter was bland, no personality. We love when the wait staff can have fun w.us. On an off nite u you'd think that would be possible. My dining companion was vegan, something the waiter didn't understand. Instead of saying "I will ask the chef what he recommends" he said well I guess u are limited to the veggies and ????Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsBroadwayFanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had to wait a long time for a reserved table, had to ask for refills of water, and the bread came after the main courses. Really left with an impression that this older restaurant was still unnecessarily disorganized and frantic for no good reason. Limited menu options for vegetarians, and my selection was a very small serving. So disappointing!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian in PasadenaYumYumGirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014Trattoria Neapolis has a warm atmosphere and inviting atmosphere which is great for dates, celebrations, casual lunch with friends and good for groups. The wood-fired pizzas and homemade pastas are excellent and everything on the menu is delicious! The service is friendly, professional and attentive and ask for Monty, she's awesome! Trattoria Neapolis is one of my favorite restaurants and I always look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Time with Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I made a reservation with Open Table. We asked for a booth. The restaurant did not get that information and found themselves in an embarrassed position, but rallied. We will not be using Open Table again. Good by.
- LunchRitaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Rigatoni with short ragu was wonderful, but could have been a bit hotter. Also a great Caesar salad could have bee a bit cooler. Waiter Santos was the best, engaging and extremely accommodating. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!VIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wow! A beautifully designed restaurant! Two levels, Italian tile everywhere, wood burning pizza oven, and a lovely sun room in the front. Upstairs is perfect for a party or business meeting. Now for the food. Amazing wood burning pizza oven, pizza was a good as Mozza (Mario Batali's restaurant). Salads and pastas perfect. We can't wait to come back for another business luncheon. Don't forget the homemade gelato!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeLuvtodineoutDined on 8/11/2014The waiter Nicholas is really great, attentive and helpful with the menu. We like the variety, pasta, seafood , steaks and great salads. The wine and cocktails are good. They had lemon verbena gelato which was fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as goos as I remeberedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014very slow service and the food was not as good as I remebered. In their defense, the chocolate desert was truly off the charts.Special Features:
- Excellent modern italianscotchyDined on 8/9/2014We've been to Neopolis probably a dozen or more times now. Always great service, excellent food, and nice list of cocktails and wine. Recommended.Special Features:
- Italian OasisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014My wife had a craving for some Italian food and we both wanted to try some place different. She had seen Neapolis in passing and thought it would be good give it a try. We were not disappointed. This is like stepping into an "oasis" off of Lake Street's noise and clatter. Very good menu and very nice service. We will come back.Special Features:
- not happyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Atrocious service, good food. We were there to celebrate, and, instead, were soaked with water and shattered with glass when the waiter broke a glass on our tabletop.Special Features:
- Such a huge disappointment!disappointeddinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014We've been here several times. The two prior visits, the service was OK. This past Tuesday was off the richter bad. It took a server 15 minutes and two requests of bussers to take our drink order. He was VERY clear he was not our server but would take our drink order. Ten minutes before the drinks came and he begrudgingly agreed to take our appetizer order, even though, he said it again, he was NOT our server. The food came out slowly and he checked back once, gee thanks. If you don't want to serve me food, don't take my money. Especially disappointing since the owner was there. If this is how we're treated on a Tues night with the owner there, it speaks volumes on the direction of the restaurant. We won't be returning.
- The following 205 reviews are from the Trattoria Neapolis reviews archive.
- Wonderful experienceSoozinCADined on 7/27/2014We had brunch here last Sunday for m-i-l's birthday. We chose it based on Open Table reviews, as we like discovering new gems in the Pasadena area. Two of us had the lobster hash - delicious with a generous amount of lobster while my husband had the Italian French toast - a bit too sweet for me. We also tried the Market Soda of the day, watermelon lemonade, which was very good. For dessert we shared the chocolate semifreddo and we all loved it. The combination of smooth chocolate and crunchy hazelnut was perfect and the tang of the frozen yogurt offset the sweetness and made it a memorable treat. The decor is beautiful with dark wood and the service attentive but not intrusive. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014You must start with one of their fabulous cocktails and then follow it with a divine caprese salad and their halibut! To end one of the most delightful tiramisu's I have ever had, it was light and full of fabulous flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchEgglady67Dined on 7/20/2014Yummy egg dishes for Sunday brunch and very reasonable prices. Good foccacia. Nice bday treat with "Happy Birthday" spelled out in chocolate coulis. We have been for dinner but it gets noisy at night. The upstairs rooms are very nice, and the most comfortable restaurant chairs upstairs and in main dining area are the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and good foodfoodDined on 7/19/2014We went for DineLA for the first time. We loved the potato bread, and the Meyer lemon sauce for the arancini. The rest of the meal was good and found the French waiter excellent and interesting.Special Features:
- Great locale for all occasionsTanninsDined on 7/18/2014Thank you DineLA for introducing us to this restaurant! We kept forgetting that this restaurant was an option since the latter half of Lake Ave. is not known for fine dining. We will be back! Great happy hour deal - if you can get a seat. If you can't find a seat, there is little room to hover without being in people's way or awkward. Wonderful events like monthly wine and dinner pairings as well as daily dinner promos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014The restaurant was very nice and comfy and romantic. Perfect place for a date night with someone that LOVES authentic Italian food. They don't have your typical fettuccine alfredo or anything you can find at your local olive garden. They have specialty foods. I gave it three stars because it was a little pricey. For the dine LA deal and two drinks the total was a little over $100. The atmosphere was great, the service was great and they really take care of you. The only thing is the price if that's something that concerns you.Special Features:
- Always FantasticpinkfidgetDined on 7/16/2014This is not the first time I've eaten here, and it continues to be consistently fantastic. The service is always some of the best you'll ever receive, with friendly and knowledgeable wait staff who know when and when not to hover. The food is impeccable. All of this provides an amazing experience for any diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodRevZVIPDined on 7/13/2014I've reviewed this place numerous times, including just a couple of weeks ago: all I want to add is that I wish they would not do a "kids eat free" thing Sunday nights. I'm sure it's necessary financially, but it may backfire if adults like us stop going. Secondly, it was freezing cold the night I was there, which is not usually the case. But pastas and salads were excellent, as always, and the wild salmon special was tasty as well, although too big of a portion.Special Features:
- Slipping a bit..?RevZVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is our favorite restaurant so I hope the minor issues won't be indicative of a trend. The main thing was that we've enjoyed the grilled BABY octopus since it went on the menu about a year ago. So when we were there the other night with friends, I naturally ordered it--but unfortunately, it was no longer baby octopus but adult octopus--and completely tough and inedible. We did send it back and the server took it off our bill, kindly, and suggested the delicious caprese as a replacement--but I really hope they bring back the baby octopus and ditch the adult version! I also felt the pork chop was not as excellent as it has been (one of our faves, we've ordered it many times). It seemed over-sauced this time, obscuring the grill flavor.Special Features:
- bdaydelightbdaydelightDined on 6/28/2014I went with friends and we had a wonderful dinner and evening.Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014This is our new favorite restaurant for date night. The service is excellent, especially the tall waiter with the accent, and the hostess with the long brown hair is always so sweet and lovely. We've been there so many times now, that we have a "usual table." I love the service and now they remember that we love the cheese plate and remember my favorite sparkling cocktail. There aren't very many vegetarian options, but they're happy to accommodate dietary needs and make excellent recommendations. There's also a good wine list. They actually have 2 lists: one by the glass and one by the bottle. My fiancé and I both love this place! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.