1250 Coast Village Rd.
Santa Barbara, CA 93108Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriamollie.com/
- Phone: (805) 565-9381
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mollie Ahlstrand
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering and cooking classes are available.
- Private Party Facilities: The private room is available for business events, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Mollie or Ali 8055659381
A word from Trattoria Mollie
Local favorite, chef to the Hollywood stars and great family dining. Chef Mollie has been featured on the Oprah's Show and in "O" magazine. National Geographic Passport to the Best has recognized Trattoria Mollie as one of the "Ten Best Destination & Special Restaurants in the World"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Trattoria Mollie - Best Restaurants in Montecito ›
Trattoria Mollie reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (30)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (17)good for groups (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I love this restaurant, never disappoints.AmazingDined on 11/15/2014Sorry to have missed Mollie as she was traveling to Italy. Maybe I will see her next time, the food is always perfection and I am glad to have visited a second time as we live in Newport Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sketchy ServiceAlexfosbVIPDined on 11/9/2014Service with only 50% of restaurant filled on a Sunday evening was pretty poor. Servers were dropping things, making noises and at one point some breaking of dishes. The 'special' risotto was espoused by the waitress as something divine but I later noticed it was on the regular menu. It was just OK. My wife's halibut was also just barely OK and there were too many different veggies served with it. She asked for spinach and it came with 3 others - poor match. Overall, we would not bother to return and this was our 3rd try of this local eatery. Too ordinary and for the price one eats better at other nearby and downtown Italian restaurants.
- Secret GemJonTDined on 11/9/2014This is kind of a locals-only, rather than a tourist, destination. We're really pleased to have discovered it. The quality of the cooking is just outstanding - so good that we bought Mollie's cookbook. Her cooking is all based on fresh, top-quality ingredients, the best olive oil, and just a little bit of creativity and inventiveness. I've rated it at four stars, rather than five, because it can be noisy. When we were there, there were several parties with children. This did not lead to a completely relaxing dining experience. But the food at Trattoria Mollie is so good, this is worth overlooking.Special Features:
- Best pizza I had in California...!LunastasteDined on 11/7/2014I know about pizza, and this is good. I livedi. saSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMMJLCVIPDined on 10/29/2014Mollie is a very good neighborhood restaurant with an interesting and varied menu. The service is attentive and friendly. Whenever I want a wonderful dinner in a nice setting with interesting choices, I go to Trattoria Mollie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in Santa BarbaradebbayDined on 10/25/2014Dinner at Trattoria Mollie was interesting. The food was good. The wine I ordered might have been good, but it was never served. Our waitress never even remembered that I had ordered it. We asked for more bread three times before they brought it to us. Two of us ordered lasagna and after some time we were told there was no more. Pictures all around of Mollie with Oprah and the President... I'm sure when she cooks for them the service is spot on. Felt insignificant... Disappointing.
- Always specialMaryDined on 10/25/2014Found this restaurant many years ago and always stop for a meal when we are in town. They never disappoint. The meatballs are a must but everything is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchpamelaVIPDined on 10/16/2014It was a fabulous experience to meet Mollie and experience fabulous Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- even better than expectedBeekeeVIPDined on 10/15/2014Fantastic service and fantastic food. Everything was prepared with care and very fresh tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEWhiteRhinoDined on 9/27/2014Do yourself a favor and make the trip here! The food was absolutely FRESH and DELICIOUS! Attentive staff and intimate experience. We love trying different places and this one is definitely on our 'go frequently' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!Chrisj98501Dined on 9/21/2014This was my 3rd visit to Mollies. I live in Washington State and it's always the first on my list when visiting the Santa Barbara/Montecito area. It's truly a gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being at a homeOCMichelleDined on 9/13/2014Mollie made the most delicious turkey meatballs! The taste is indescribable! One of my guests had lasagna bolognese and said it was the best they ever had. She is such a warmth and presence in this restaurant that you can tell is a labor of love. It feels like you were invited to someone's home instead of at a restaurant. Every dish was fresh, flavorful, and piping hot. The wine list isn't huge but she has fantastic Italian Super Tuscans, Borellos, and other Tuscan Amarones. This is a fantastic gem of a restaurant and I will be back when I am in Santa Barbara! No wonder Oprah and Obama love this lady's cooking! Buon appetito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all pointsEddyDined on 9/13/2014We drive for two hours to eat here and are never disappointedSpecial Features:
- One of my faves!!HeavenDined on 9/11/2014Last week I ended up eating here twice. First night was a romantic dinner for two and it was GREAT. Second night was 6 of us and we sat outside on a gorgeous warm evening. Mollie came out and suggested a wine and spoke with us about the specials. I had the prosciutto & melon as an app followed by the seabass special with mushrooms and spinach. OMG everything was SO good and fresh. I have eaten here off and on over the years and NEVER had a bad meal. Food is consistently great, service on point, ambiance quiet and romantic.Special Features:
- So soFoodieDined on 9/6/2014Booked Trattoria Mollie for our 5 year wedding anniversary. Went with a couple of friends after hearing good things. The initial service was prompt but it soon slipped. We had finished a bottle of wine before the pizza starter arrived and I am pretty sure I was previously frozen. I would have a Rustys pizza any day over this. Once our mains arrived we shared everything and out of all four dishes nothing blew us away, I was all pretty mediocre. I am sure we will give it another try but maybe not for another 5 years.Special Features:
- ROLLTIDE15VIPDined on 9/2/2014Great pizza and wonderful service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Our experience at Mollie'sRozzieVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been to Mollie's before . It was very crowded last Sunday when we went. We ordered her special dish which was Branzino with olives, tomatoes, etc. It was delicious, but the portion was ridiculously small, and included a minute serving of a green vegetable and 2 tiny potato slices. We have ordered branzino very often at our favorite restaurant Angelini Osteria and their serving is the whole fish. Mollie's serving was half of the fish, and Tre Lune down the street from Mollie's serves the entire fish. Her preparation was very good, but we left very hungry.Special Features:
- Great Specials!SeafoodEnthusiastDined on 8/30/2014My linguine alla vongole was great, but the Alaskan halibut my wife ordered was the best I've ever tasted. Literally, a fish steak! Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KAS1VIPDined on 8/27/2014GREAT chicken parm which was not on the menu. Food and service were wonderful. Bus boy was the hardest worked providing much of the reason for the high service rating. Restaurant could use a bit of a freshening up decoratively.
- Amazing experienceAmazingDined on 8/23/2014One of the best Italian restaurants I have been to in a long time. Chef Mollie is extremely friendly, even the bus boy shook our hand and thanked us for dining with them. Everything we had was amazing, spaghetti and meatballs, spaghetti futti de mare (seafood). I would defintiely revisit when I am back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saving WaterdoublewidegirlDined on 8/23/2014The food and ambiance at Trattoria Mollie was great. The only problem was that the service was not up to par. They didn't come by our table very often to see how we were doing and we had to ask them to refill our water glasses about 3 times throughout the meal. For a restaurant of this calliber and prices at that level, I would have expected a higher level of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria MollienevercooksDined on 8/19/2014Delicious as always Special beet salad was a wonderful surprise as the beets were warm Turkey meatball perfect as was the ravioli with the best pink sauce everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Platinum StandardFredDined on 8/13/2014Consistently our favorite restaurant. We drive an hour for dinner there and have never been disappointed after many, many visits. Fresh, light, flavorful and consistently outstanding in every way. A few favorites- carpaccio, caprese salad, meatballs, zuppa di pesce, ravioli, filet of beef and the best cheesecake you'll ever eat. Great staff, terrific service, involved owner have made this a Santa Barbara staple for years and rightly so.Special Features:
- VixenDined on 8/10/2014Amazing food and service.....always a favorite stop when we are in Santa Barbara.Special Features:
- Great Italian food!ValleyAllyDined on 8/9/2014I took my parents here for their birthdays. The food was great, the service friendly and they were very generous. Very homey feel. My only one tiny complaint is they kept trying to push wine on us and this was a dry group. Once someone has asked the wine list to be removed, leave it at that. But otherwise lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicemichelleDined on 8/9/2014the atmosphere was nice. quiet. very nice and attentive staff. my son loved his pizza, marguerite. my spaghetti carbonara was too salty. I would go there again, but I would order another dish.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedluvtoeatDined on 7/31/2014Extremely noisy due to lack of any sound dampening materials like carpets or wall coverings. Booked reservation on a weeknight. Despite many empty tables we were put in between two large groups at a table that blocked the aisles so that we were in the way of the waitstaff. The table rocked noticeably. We asked to have that corrected. First they suggested it was not so bad, then they attempted to move the table slightly to balance on another bare tile. Finally they realized it was not corrected and inserted something under the leg to stabilize the table. My halibut, billed as the special of the night, was mediocre at best,grilled with overcooked vegetables. My husband did like his pasta seafood dish. Would not recommend this.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Trattoria Mollie reviews archive.
- Great local spotBillVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great service and good. Fish was excellent as well as Beet salad. Lite on salt and oils which we enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCliffDined on 7/26/2014The best turkey meatballs on the planet. Veal Osobucco is also one the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Mollie - strip malldiningwithdDined on 7/20/2014I wanted to love this place, but feel like it is all hype. I heard about Trattoria Mollie listening to a radio interview. Further reviews said the food was good, but service so so. My initial thought was they were understaffed, but that wasn't it. Our server just kind of disappeared. When we did catch her attention, we had to remind her of prior requests. As for the food, my wife's Gnocchi was overcooked and mushy. My daughter ordered a Caesar salad with chicken ($22) for soggy lettuce and 6 thin strips of hammered out chicken breast, her friend ordered a plain Caesar salad for dinner ($8) - very little on the plate and also overdressed. My risotto was aright, could have used more flavor. Skipped dessert and sadly won't be returning.
- exceptionalckdfmVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food quality at this restaurant is exceptional. Everyone of the staff members if friendly and helpful making for one of the best dinning experiences we have had in the Santa Barbara area.Special Features:
- Great placeFoody7369Dined on 7/4/2014Everything was great. Would go back for sure on my next trip here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Trattoria MollielanativeVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were so pleased with our dinner at Trattoria Mollie last Saturday night. Our server was so gracious, friendly, and informative - a hallmark of this beautiful spot and the reason we chose to dine here. We started with a delicious bottle of Barbaresco wine and a Margherita pizza. Both were recommended and justifiably so. I had the Branzino with mushrooms and my husband enjoyed the chicken meatballs with spaghetti. All was delivered to our table piping hot, in concert, and perfectly cooked. We plan to make this a regular dining venue whenever we are in lovely Santa Barbara.Special Features:
- Reminded me of TuscanymindyDined on 6/25/2014My friend and I had a truly amazing meal. We were spoiled for choice in the wine list. Our mains were excellent and the service was impeccable. I only wish that we lived local so we could visit more often !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal Pasta and MorenmgastronomeDined on 6/15/2014Chef Mollie's reputation is well deserved! It's no wonder celebrities line up to dine at her eponymous palace of gustatory delights .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oprah, the President, & Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Oprah & President Obama are among the many fans of Mollie Ahistrand, the chef/owner of Trattoria Mollie, and now, so am I!! Evidently, a lot of celebrities dine at Trattoria Mollie and when we went, Topher Grace (of "That 70s Show") was dining at the table behind us. Chef Mollie was there too & you might think with all of her accolades, she might be "directing" the work rather than doing it herself...but, she was working hard in the kitchen. She was also quick to smile and say thank you as we were leaving, as if we were celebrities ourselves. In case you think I was so star struck that I wouldn't pay close attention to the food...you would be wrong! I savored each bite of the frutte di mare pasta that I had; it was divine!!!Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Took my daughter for Graduation Dinner from UCSB and was an excellent choice. Everything was perfect. Highly recommend you check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningcatbirdDined on 6/8/2014Open, elegant ambiance. Mollie's food is always delicious. Friendly, quiet. Great place for any occasion.Special Features:
- geliDined on 5/31/2014Trattoria Mollie offers authentic Italian cuisine in a uniquely warm setting. We like the quality and consistency of the food and the service, also the fact that it is equally fine for a romantic evening for two or for a larger group. As a minor point, we appreciate the Trattoria's focus on fine wines versus hard liquor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!AdrianaDined on 5/17/2014Food was fantastic , Mollie is an outstanding chef and always around monitoring closely level of attention to food and quality. Staff is a bit scattered and not so attentive.Special Features: