Trattoria Il Mulino
Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Trattoria Il Mulino
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilmulino.com/houston.html
- Phone: 8323580600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sun - Wed, 5 - 10pm, Thur - Sat, 5 - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining and exquisite catering at every level.
- Private Party Facilities: Four elegant rooms perfect for any occasion. A/V equipment available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Fratto 8323580600
A word from Trattoria Il Mulino
Trattoria Il Mulino has its own unique energy, yet maintains the core Il Mulino New York values of fresh, simple ingredients; authentic Italian cuisine; and unparalleled service. The contemporary Italian Bistro-style venue features an open kitchen design that adds to the lively, comfortable atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Il Mulino reviews from OpenTable diners
- We were there on a sat night.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2012We were there on a sat night. There was only one other table occupied in the restaurant. Doesn't add up to the one in NYC. The food was good but overpriced.
- Il Mulino has some great dishesnibblesVIPDined on 6/2/2012Il Mulino has some great dishes and some not so great. The kitchen is slow but if they are making it from scratch then maybe it is ok. It is authentic Italian and when they are good they are very very good. Arancini are hard to find on a menu and I was disappointed that mine had been drenched in truffle oil-a little goes a long way-my husbands risotto was delicious. My carpaccio very, very nice. The bread is uninspired-but ordering correcdtly it can be divine.Special Features:
- A surprise findWestSideFoodieVIPDined on 6/1/2012This was my first visit to Il Mulino. I was surprised they were not busy on a Friday night but I now know it is just because they are not well known. The food was delicious and the atmostphere was quiet and romantic. The staff was knowledgeable about their menu and wine list and they were attentive though not overly so. There are several rooms on the edges of the restaurant for private parties. I have eaten in many different restaurants in Houston and I would rank this restaurant in the top 15%; well worth your food dollars and a great place to bring friends for an evening out.Special Features:
- Lunch time dining was veryCliffordDined on 5/30/2012Lunch time dining was very good. The free valet was great. Music level was superb for all but one uncharacteristicly loud song. Still puzzled by that. Vey easy to have a business lunch and be able to hear the conversation.Special Features:
- Needs experienced managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2012Need to get more experienced wait staff and management! We were the only ones in the restaurant on a Tuesday night for an anniversary celebration table of 4 and we could not get service....lots of mistakes made...served or presented wrong wine,had to ask twice for drinks.....staff standing around talking to each other....not up to the restaurants reputation and will not last in Houston with this type of service....aspen one spoils you and new York as Well!Special Features:
- Hidden JemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012I took my mother there for Mother's Day. The service was very friendly, prompt & very professional. The food was surprisingly very good, the grilled veggies were cooked to perfection. The apple sausage wasn't to my taste but hubby loved it. I would definitely consider going back to try food from the menu. My only issue had to deal with the noise. The focus for the atmosphere is very attractive with wooden floors, high ceilings, brick walls, & contemporary furnishings. However, as with most places like this the conversation sounds can be loud if you are trying to have a relaxing lunch, especially with someone who might have some hearing issues, so be warned. But if you like this type of atmosphere you will love it. Free Valet Parking :)Special Features:
- Great food, slow service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012Great food, slow service, not good value for the priceSpecial Features:
- Best Italian food Ive hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2012Best Italian food Ive had in years! We had a great time for lunch. Our server was very helpful with menu choices & the Manager gave us her best table. They made us feel special, and we will be returning for more of those meatballsSpecial Features:
- Nice choice for a hotel restaurantOldTownFoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2012For a hotel restaurant, this one is really quite good. While it doesn't compare to the other Il Mulino restaurants, when had a nice evening, with good Italian food and wine. The menu selection is pleasingly varied and the ambiance is hip and energetic.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2012Pros: Food was amazing. The best Italian food i have ever had. They have inexpensive but excellent Asti champagne! Con: interior is nice but very clean cut, they need to spice it up, perhaps dim the lights and more artwork.
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012Nice place to grab a quick lunch, parking was free! Waiter was friendly and food was awesome. Will be back!Special Features:
- Hidden Treasure for Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/8/2012We really enjoyed Easter Brunch. The food was great and the staff was fun. We would go back. The only thing we found is that we were missing something sweet. I know it seems odd to have dessert at breakfast but for brunch we wanted that and left wanting it still...oh...and add cream cheese to the line...I always want some shmear with my bagel! But overall...you will see us again!Special Features:
- Elegant yet comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012The wait staff and manager were very generous and attentive! They catered to our every need with a smile! Plates from the buffet were cleared quickly and drinks refilled without needing to search for our waiter. Comfortable and elegant! An Easter brunch I will never forget. Merriment and laughter from the other tables added to the warm feeling, like we all belonged there.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2012We very much enjoyed our dinner at Trattoria Il Mulino on Saturday night. The food was very much authentic Italian and the after dinner lemoncello a real treat! We'll be returning with friends.Special Features:
- I rated it Fair because IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2012I rated it Fair because I don't even remember going there! We eat out a lot and this place didn't make an impression, sorry.
- A second time is truly a charm!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/17/2012After a disastrous first outing to this restaurant my second dining experience was noteworthy!! The two criteria that we use to judge the merits of an establishment viz.,the food and service canonly be described as IMPECCABLE. Great food and the service to include timing was FIVE STAR. I recommend this restaurant highly and rate it as one of Houston's finest. Will definitely make it a regular.Special Features:
- The quality of food has goneOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/16/2012The quality of food has gone down since the supervisor from New York has left. Bar tending needs to be improved. Food is too heavy.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2012We had a large group and no resevation, we were afraid they wouldnt be able to take us but the manager was happy to set up a table in one of their private rooms and our waitress was very helpful, most of us know nothing about Italian food. Both ladies took great care of us and we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/4/2012Parking is easy, staff was friendly and food was fresh. Will be back to enjoy the Brunch Biuffett againSpecial Features:
- our poor waiter seemed completelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2012our poor waiter seemed completely overwhelmed and flustered although the restaurant was not even half full. it was FREEZING cold throughout our meal with a nasty draft overhead and underfoot ... most uncomfortable. if i were staying in the hotel for a conference, i would be very pleased to dine here (with a parka and battery powered socks, and a competent waiter) but given all the choices one has in Houston, this would not be someplace i'd think of just to go out to dinner or invite guests. the meatballs are remarkably good; the fish was good though overcooked, the chicken with mushrooms was quite yummy, one dessert was very well done and one was really not. the coffee was much better at an earlier visit. probably an uncharacteristic da
- Nice ambience (sp?). NotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2012Nice ambience (sp?). Not too busy or loud. Architecturally very appealing.Special Features:
- They are new and hopefullyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012They are new and hopefully they will learn with time.
- Trattoria Il Mulino has aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Trattoria Il Mulino has a very good wine selection and above average service. The food was not notable, however, and was priced higher than average. Be sure to sit in the back room away from the bar if you are looking for a quiet dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012The evening begins on a low note when my family and I are seated in the back directly next to the server station, while literally 15 other tables in better locations are available. I order chicken parm, which was good, but waitress tells me people usually order a pasta with it. She did not tell me that both dishes could have fed all 4 of us. It was difficult for the waitress to keep our beverages full. My wife described what she wanted to the waitress and what was recommended was not even close, even down to the color. My wife wanted a red pasta and out comes a white cream sauce dish. With the 100s of options in Houston there is not a good reason to come back here. It is a hotel restaurant so that may have something to do with it?
- TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2012TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE!!!! Poor service less than average food. This place wont belly up because of Hotel business. How sad to pass your restaurant as 3 or 4 star establishment.
- Good italian food. A bit pricey,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/11/2012Good italian food. A bit pricey, esp the pasta ($30 for ravioli??). Portions were huge so we ordered a half portion which was perfect.. Classic menu options from the NY spot were terrific. Caprese salad was delicious. Service was spotty at best. Had to find the waiter to taker our order. We ordered a bottle of wine and had to remind them to bring it. And it was not crowded at all.
- Food is always over the top.fiestaVIPDined on 2/11/2012Food is always over the top. Eaten there many times and have our company holiday function there as well.Special Features:
- My world was not rockedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/10/2012For a restaurant that is lauded for its prowess in Italian food, I was very disappointed. I expected wow and I got satisfactory.Special Features:
- good wine list good menu butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/27/2012good wine list good menu but not autentically italianSpecial Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2012Had a wonderful red wine that is exclusive to them (can't remember the name) and the server was professional and patient with all the questions we had. Will make this our new hot spot.Special Features:
- Great DealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/9/2012Had lunch there for a business meeting. It is a great deal and the food was wonderful. The service was great and the portions are huge. Recommend trying the crabcakes.Special Features:
- This resturant has outstandingJoyHDined on 12/30/2011This resturant has outstanding food at very reasonable prices. The wait staff is very professional and efficient.Special Features:
- Delicious but decor needs helpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2011Great food and wonderful wines by the glass! Limon salad, seafood risotto, filet with fried sage leaves and tiramisu were delicious! Only quibble would be dining room itself -needs to feel cozier - perhaps dimmer evening lighting, soft background music. Suggest stained glass or art on kitchen side rather than window to prep area which looks too much like a school cafeteria line.Special Features:
- Second trip and will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2011Second trip and will return again. Could not ask for a better Christmas Day lunch. Great FOOD Great PEOPLESpecial Features:
- This was our first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2011This was our first visit and I will try again. However, our table was in an area where each waiter thought the other was taking care of us. After several inquiries, the wine ended up being served between courses. It was a slow night so I'm not sure about service during a more active evening.
- Had a client Christmas lunch2good2eatVIPDined on 12/20/2011Had a client Christmas lunch here and everyone enjoyed it. All the salads, soups, and entrees were delicious and the service was good.Special Features:
- Parking was the biggest problem,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/19/2011Parking was the biggest problem, very confusing procedure to get in and out...
- Don't know why Il Mulino wouldFoodLoverVIPDined on 12/15/2011Don't know why Il Mulino would put their name on a hotel rest. in the 'burbs of Houston. The service was slow and inept. Our server had a trainee and she was much better. To get our order taken or get our check we had to ask the water server. The menu listed some special drinks; I watched the bartender fumble around for about 10 minutes to make a Manhattan, while the trainee waiter stood waiting. After putting the same drink in three different glasses the bartender finally sent it to our table (it was watered down from so much handling). Houston has many GOOD restaurants to bother going back there. Also, the parking valets kept telling us our car was on the way, but it never was because I found them hidden on valet stand.
- Nice setting, good food, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/27/2011Nice setting, good food, but too empty. They have not built up any traffic and restaurant is hidden behind construction barriers so not receiving any drive by traffic. They need to get some customers in!
- The restaurant is good, buthoustonfoodieVIPDined on 11/26/2011The restaurant is good, but not great. The wait staff are at times a little too attentive (filling water after it was just filled), the food is expensive, you do feel as if you are in a hotel, it seems to not be quite at the quality level it was at when it opened, and I suggest they do half portions and diversity the menu a little more.Special Features: