Trattoria I Trulli
830 S. Coast Hwy 101
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Trattoria I Trulli
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.itrulli.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: 7609436800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer a pick-up catering as well as off site catering.
A word from Trattoria I Trulli
Cozy and quaint setting that will bring you back to Italia! A true trattoria one would find roadside in Tuscany. Our cuisine is traditional authentic Italian. With many classical dishes including homemade lasagne, our classic ricotta & spinach ravioli and gnocchi made in house daily. Bread fresh from the oven every morning compliments our garlicky Sicilian tomato pesto dipping sauce. A rock star wine list with more than 100 bottles offered at every price point and more than 20 wines by the glass to choose from. Daily specials are more contemporary Italian with a range of game meats including rabbit, venison, quail and bison using produce and recipes of the season. Gluten-free & whole grain pastas are available as well as a wide variety of vegetarian items to choose from.Continued
We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and high quality products for an enchanting experience for all of our guests. Raise your glass and fill your soul with heart and goodness ~ cheers!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria I Trulli - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Trattoria I Trulli reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (9)romantic (6)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Joe1Dined on 9/1/2014Best in class in the area. Not gourmet but good local restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and DifferentpghpickleDined on 8/26/2014Coworkers and I had been looking for a generic mid-range Italian restaurant and this fit perfectly, except it went above and beyond the generic. The atmosphere was casual enough that our group of 4 felt comfortable. The menu was large, with its fair share of traditional and original creations. For example, a coworker and I both had the Rabbit Lasagna special and it was delicious! (Although I did get a few pieces of 'gristle' here and there.) Portions are large, but not unreasonable. Service was adequate. The wine list has a good range of selections both in taste and price. My only real complaint is that it was very warm where we were sat in the back corner - there was zero airflow. I would definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Consistent WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been coming to I Trulli for years. It never disappoints. We are in heaven when they deliver the bread with their special tomato dipping sauce. Be sure to check out the specials of the day. The current Grilled Octopus appetizer is wonderful. My kids swear that their Minestrone Soup is the best that they've ever had. While we enjoy the entrees, we think that their pastas are the way to go. The portions are generous, so don't be afraid to split appetizers or pastas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!mamatVIPDined on 7/30/2014Melt in my mouth impromptu birthday dinner at my favorite restaurant! Always fantastic.Special Features:
- We LOVE this placeJennyVIPDined on 7/14/2014Never fail incredible meals and service! We come here a few times every trip to Encinitas. Never once have we had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved their patio dining ...ChrissieVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is a restaurant we go to regularly. That speaks for itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian fare in No CountyLeonediromaVIPDined on 7/3/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in North County, bar none. The place is small and very noisy when it's crowded, but the service is good and the aromas coming out of the place prepare your stomach for a really good meal. The spinach and ricotta ravioli are a favorite, as are the chicken dishes, chicken saronno and chicken 101. Salmon's good too, although I usually order it just grilled instead of with the creamy mustard sauce. Great Eggplant Sorrentino/parmesan. There is a very narrow cramped patio, but it's right on the sidewalk, good for people watching, and with the great weather here, it's usually nice to be out in the air. On weekends they don't take reservations so be prepared to wait. You won't be sorry. Good wine list too.Special Features:
- Special Occasions!swb92078Dined on 7/3/2014We love Trattoria I Trulli for those special occasions such as anniversaries and birthdays! We couldn't wait to move back to north county San Diego and visit this favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrissieVIPDined on 6/13/2014It's a place I "Trulli" enjoy and go on a regular basis.
- Delicious!Elizajord1VIPDined on 6/10/2014Came here for lunch with a friend and we both thought the food was wonderful. The service was very good too. At first I thought it was a bit pricey for lunch, lobster ravioli was $19 and a chicken entree was $17 I believe, but the portions were huge! I do wish it was a little less money at lunch for a smaller portion, but everything tasted wonderful!Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Trattoria I Trulli reviews archive.
- Excellent staffallthenamesaretakenDined on 5/13/2014Very friendly, efficient and pleasant. Although he food was okay, not special, I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014It took us one hour sitting before we even got the waiter to ask us what we wanted for drinks! I know it was mothers day but the place is pretty small and not hard to get to everybody. Overall the lunch took 2.5 hours!
- Solid FoodQCommVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food preparation here is always solid. I think this place could use a remodel. Something should be done about the outside tables and chairs to make them more comfortable...
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/10/2014Incredibly good food and wonderful staff. We take friends and relatives there when they visit, besides just my family going quite often.Special Features:
- long time favorite Italian!mamatVIPDined on 5/5/2014The absolute best, authentic Italian food in North County San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being back in Italy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/29/2014How wonderful to be greated by the handsome Italian Andrea! We've been to Italy many times, and the ambience and fun atmosphere set by all there made it feel as if we were home again. Gigantic menu filled with dozens of delicious sounding dishes. A real find!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014I brought my mom for a special night out here, and beforehand, I raved to her about the food and ambiance. The ambiance was as I promised, but something has gone wrong with the food. I've eaten here 3 or 4 times, and each time I've been happy. This past experience was just plain bad. I had the tasteless minestrone soup, and pasta primavera. My mom had a seafood pasta dish with white sauce. She said it was lacking flavor, and was not impressed at all. I'm sorry to have to write a bad review, but hope the feedback inspires change in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch & it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2014We went for lunch & it was very quiet as they were not busy. We sat inside because it was a cool day. I've sat outside before & it's nice on a warm day. I've eaten there in the evening inside when they were busy & the noise level was almost unbearable. The food is sinsational. I just would go for lunch , early dinner or a warm evening so u can sit outside. Unless you loke a very vibrant, loud atmosphere. Some people do. The friendly service and level of cuisine & expertise is worthy of visiting over & over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouskrodDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I have dined here twice- each time being exceptional. Food is delicious, and the service is excellent. The bar is very small, so I suggest making reservations because there is not a lot of room to sit and wait at the bar- I believe there are only 5 seats or so. Highly recommend this place- you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another day perhapsLarryVIPDined on 2/14/2014I've visited this restaurant quite a few times of the last few years with good success. The food has always been good enough to overlook the crowds and the closed in feeling with adjoining tables way too close together. It has been our go to Italian restaurant but unfortunately not this time. We went on Valentines day and upon sitting were presented with a special menu for the day. The regular menu is much better. On this day our meals were average at best. Overcooked calamari appetizer with uneventful marinara sauce. main courses were "restaurant chain quality". Today we got overpriced average Italian food. I guess its time to move on to another place.
- Best ItalianJacquesGDined on 1/22/2014Encinitas is not short on Italian Restaurants and this is the star when it comes to food. Intimate seating, small bar (only seats 4) and small patio doesn't make it the grandest, but the food is to die for and the prices are more than fair for the fare. The wine list is varied and lots of Italian gems to pick from. The staff is attentive, friendly and very professional. I usually have one on the specials, often splitting appetizer and entree because the portions are generous. I Trulli never disappoints!sSpecial Features:
- Great findFrankVIPDined on 12/26/2013We were traveling during the holidays with two young chidren and found this restaurant in Encinitas to be very friendly to families, kind and professional service. Good job.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodAxxiom2000VIPDined on 12/17/2013The food is awesome - from the lasagna to the fish selection. Great wine bottle selection, but the selection for wine by the glass is somewhat limited. As far as the service, overall it is good; however, one of the servers does not have the best table manners, but is not to the point of being bad service.Special Features:
- Great food and friendly peopleLeonediromaVIPDined on 12/12/2013This is really a neighborhood gem. Went for a holiday lunch with lawyer friends and we ended up staying for 3 hours! We closed the place, and the staff was fine with it. There is a terrific variety of choices at this place, and it's the only place in North County that I can say is as good as some of the places in Los Angeles. The Eggplant Sorrentino was just delicious, covered in cheese, cooked just right and tasty. Two of us had the Salmon Saronno, which was covered in the same creamy mushroom sauce they use for the Chicken 101 (my other favorite). I didn't think I'd like the creamy sauce on the salmon but it was delish. We also had a beautiful gluten free shrimp dish with veggies that were cooked perfectly. A favorite place indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The calamari appetizer wasCarlsbadfoodieDined on 11/7/2013The calamari appetizer was great which set high expectations for the rest of the meal....however after waiting for over 30 minutes for our main course it was a huge disappointment. The risotto was very watery (and salty), the other pasta dishes were undercooked. The staff were very friendly,, but would not go back.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2013My favorite trattoria is Trattoria Positano. I read some yelp reviews that said Trattoria I Trulli was superior. I am not sure what planet these people were on but these two restaurants are not remotely comparable. The night I was there I ordered two of the specials. The salad was just ordinary however I ordered the sweet potato gnocchi with duck ragu. It was completely tasteless. I have been to this restaurant for the last time.
- Looking for something newluvnewplacesDined on 10/1/2013We live in Carlsbad and were looking for a new dining experince Found T I T through Zagat and were very pleased by the meal We will repeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Afternon MealSandiDined on 9/16/2013We went here during Restaurant Week. The price for lunch - $15 - was great. The restaurant has an intimate feel. The decor provides an old world feel. There were four in our party and we decided to do the wine pairing with the meal for an additional $10 per person. We also ordered 2 glasses of Proseco ($8 each). The bill came to $150 which sounds like a lot for a $15 per person restaurant week lunch. The $150 included a 20% tip that the restaurant added on. The 20% tip was on the entire bill INCLUDING tax. Usually, we do tip 20% on the food and drink only so we were disappointed that they calculated the tip to include the tax. As far as the quality of the food is concerned - it was DELICIOUS. Everyone enjoyed their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buon Appetito Fan Ventures North!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2013We have been to Buon Appetito numerous times and, since we were meeting someone from the North County, we decided to try Trattoria I Trulli. Our meals were terrific, from appetizer through dessert, and the service was attentive and personable. Oh yeah, we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of too noisytuckyspalVIPDined on 8/28/2013A little too noisy and crowded together (the tables) for my taste, but other diners looked like they were having a fabulous time!
- All time favorite!mamatVIPDined on 7/18/2013You just can't go wrong with Trulli. We have been coming for years and know it's the best authentic Italian food around. Great staff as well! (Reservations now available makes it all even better!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome serviceYamahazingVIPDined on 7/17/2013Can't go wrong with Trulli and if you are lucky enough to be waited upon by Andrea, you are in for a very enjoyable evening! He is knowledgeable, attentive and has a great sense of humor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - very loud!HappyDinerVIPDined on 6/23/2013I had a linguine & pesto dish that was absolutely amazing and my husband had a gnocchi special he enjoyed, too. Good wine selections as well. The only somewhat negative point is the acoustics in this restaurant. We went at lunchtime on a Sunday and though the place was not overly crowded, it was very noisy. I could hear almost the entire conversation the family sitting in the middle of the room. It wasn't a deal breaker for us - just something to keep in mind if you're looking for a cozy, quiet restaurant (this isn't it!)
- Five stars and aboveSusieDined on 5/29/2013My husband and I were looking for a good Italian restaurant to take a few friends to for lunch, with good food and the ability to have a conversation while dinning. The week before our luncheon we decided to have dinner with family to try the menu. Excellent food! we would recommend Trattoria I Trulli to anyone who loves authentic Italian food. Priced reasonably, good size portions, (we took food home ) and attentive waiters all wrapped up on the 101. We had the luncheon three days later with wonderful friends and a great menu. The lasagna is the best I have ever tasted, a must try A great place to people watch!!!! We Loved It!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was very pleased with everyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2013I was very pleased with every aspect of this restaurant. The food went way above and beyond any other Italian style food I've ever tasted (outside of Italy). The waiter was friendly and just attentive enough. They happily corked and decanted the special bottle of Nebbiolo we brought ($15 charge), and, thankfully, not once did they sing or provide any other type of special occasion "dog and pony show" to annoy their guests!Special Features:
- What a find!!thimblindaDined on 4/8/2013A friend recommended this restaurant for my husbands birthday and it was great!!! It is located right on the street corner in the middle of town. We arrived early and they were able to seat us immediately. I am not sure if there are two sections but the room we were seated was rather small but comfortable, and they do have several tables set up on the sidewalk with heaters.Due to a communication error between the staff and server resulting in my husband having to ask who our waiter was but after that they could not have been more accommodating and apologetic, in fact the waiter brought us dessert on him. The food was authentic and good.Great service!!Special Features:
- We hear about other greatcjb2uDined on 3/6/2013We hear about other great Italian restaurants, but keep going back to I Trulli because the food is soooo good! Can't imagine anything being any better!Waiters are very helpful if you need suggestions about either wine or food. The lasagna (I get the beef version) is fabulous with a rich,fresh sauce; my dinner guest had a fish dish with wine sauce which he said was phenomenal.The portions are large so I often get to enjoy the remainder of my meal for lunch or dinner the next day! Tiramasou is made on site (as are all desserts)and is excellent-firm,beautifully flavored. The tables are close together-this is a small restaurant-so probably not a place to go for a quiet, intimate dinner or serious, private discussion. Lively European ambience.Special Features:
- The bartender was very friendly.Xta42VIPDined on 2/26/2013The bartender was very friendly. We had a good time talking to him with a glass of wine waiting on friends. The food was delicious and our server was attentive and friendly. The place is very small and crowded, but it is worth it.Special Features:
- We enjoyed Trattoria I Trulli;DonSVIPDined on 2/14/2013We enjoyed Trattoria I Trulli; however the portions where very small.Special Features:
- Slightly above averageSeabassDined on 2/13/2013I'm not sure I understand why this restaurant is so highly rated on Yelp. The food is slightly above average, the service is just average, and this place is quite noisy. Maybe I'm too picky?Special Features: