1735 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriafantastica.com/
- Phone: (619) 234-1735
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have an outdoor patio that can seat up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Lexi Pallozzi 6192341735
- Entertainment: Thursday and Sunday evenings - live acoustic guitar
Friday and Saturday evenings - live keyboard music
A word from Trattoria Fantastica
Many restaurants in Little Italy have become destinations, among them the Busalacchi family's Trattoria Fantastica. The rustic décor features a relaxed country-style feel throughout the restaurant, including the delightful patio. The wonderfully welcoming atmosphere celebrates yet another delicious Sicilian food lineup, including pizzas and all that you would expect from an authentic Italian menu. The terrific entrées show the Sicilian influence, and fill the restaurant with great aromas.Continued
We would love to hear your feedback on your experience.
We would love to hear your feedback on your experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Fantastica reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (12)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- DRobVIPDined on 11/17/2014The bread that the supplied was extraordinary. I had the pescatore and there was plenty of seafood and was done just right. The atmosphere was quite even though I was siting outside. Had a good selection of wines which were affordable.Special Features:
- Great Location!BOS2SANVIPDined on 11/16/2014We love going to this restaurant and sitting outside...great for people watching. Three of us had breakfast. The two guys each had the Americana breakfast which consisted of the basic 2 eggs, hash browns, a choice meat, 1 piece of toast and coffee. One got the ham which was very thin, greasy and cooked only on one side. The other got bacon which was cooked very well, however he ordered eggs over medium and received scrambled. Sent them back and got eggs over easy!! Didn't bother sending them back a second time. At $12.95 felt it was a bit overpriced. I had the Panini croissant which had a little too much cheese inside the eggs for me, but was good. Will return and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestTravellerVIPDined on 10/30/2014Fantastic food and service. We asked our server to "feed us", and he just kept bringing plate after plate of amazing taste. The swordfish was some of the best I ever ate, and everything else was equally good. Don't go if you're not hungry - you need to eat a LOT when you're there. The desserts were even better than the meal. Don't miss this place. Seriously.Special Features:
- Scrumptious Food; Scattered ServiceMWMIVIPDined on 10/29/2014Each of our 5 meals were superb - each dish, whether pasta, seafood, or meat, was executed flawlessly. Contrary to the norm for this restaurant, service was scattered: the majority of drinks were delivered shortly after ordering, but each one at a time. We awaited the final drink's arrival which never came until we requested it. Sadly, the server had no idea she had forgotten it. More seriously, one diner's gluten-free pasta order was delivered as regular pasta - had we not caught this immediately, dire health consequences would have resulted. One apologetic complimentary dessert for the 5 of us to share was greatly appreciated, but professional service would have been preferred. We hope to have superb food and superb service on our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a playOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/21/2014We had less than a hour to eat before our play at the Civic. Staff put our order in right away and was very accommodating. Food was excellent and the staff was attentive. We made our play in a nick of time. Thanks Trattoria Fantastica!Special Features:
- Incredible food and ambience!Sdnewbie14Dined on 9/26/2014We are new to San Diego and this restaurant came highly revommended from my friends and family that are local. We had some friends visiting from Sacramento so decided to give it a try. I easily made reservations online...after finally finding parking we easily checked in and within ten minutes were seated in the back, open air section of the restaurant. We loved ambience! Our server quickly came and took care of us. What a great experience! Food was remarkable! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wife birthdayswollhighDined on 9/22/2014went for my wifes birthday it was a great time. only thing is you guys dont open the back seating during the week she really wanted to sit back there. but it was an amazing time. great food, great service, great time thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeChangedDined on 9/18/2014We had a party of 6; which they promptly sat after checking in with the host. Our server Vincent HOOKED IT UP, he ordered for us and we had a GREAT family style meal - wine, appetizers, food, and dessert. The food was tasty, the prices were nice, the wine was fabulous; but what made the night was the service. It was a great night and we would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Make sure you take some cannoli's to go, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food done rightbuddyelDined on 9/13/2014The food was fantastico, especially the risotto with tomato, shrimp, asparagus & English peas. The server was a sometimes hard to find, but perfectly knowledgable and competent, and in his defense we were dining at an awkward hour. This restaurant shares a storefront with another restaurant and a bakery, so it is very open, but a little shopworn.Special Features:
- Expensive for QualityCelestialstar2004Dined on 9/10/2014This restaurant is expensive with the quality of Olive Garden. The food was good but nothing special. The cannoli was delicious.
- riderDined on 8/30/2014Food and staff very hospitable, friendly and willing to pleaseSpecial Features:
- Fantastic it is notsandiegofoodieDined on 8/12/2014After reading many good reviews we gave it a try. I am sorry to say the food was sub par. It seemed like tomato sauce was on the menu that day. Tomato sauce with the calamari, tomato sauce with the eggplant, tomato sauce with the osso buco....Where was that old world Italian charm? Service took a while and was also mediocre. The overall feel was of a tourist trap and of course a not very happy stomach. I am a culinarian, a foodie, and well travelled including many regions of Italy and, unfortunately, the quality and freshness and either authenticity or innovation of this restaurant leaves me not recommending it.
- Great Italian food and wineangelDined on 8/4/2014We took a special guest for a night in town and we actually had our wedding reception at Trattoria Fantastica. The menu has updated since and the prices have gone up ($15 to $25/entree) but the quality remains excellent. The flavor is true to Italian dishes (my husband is from Italy) and the wine and desserts are great. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and the owner/manager (and elder Italian gentleman) oversees the restaurant and makes sure everything is in order. We ordered Lasagna, Bolognese, Gaberoni pasta and linguini al pomodori. All are great and you can customize your order (Lingui al pomodori was not on the menu). This is a great place for a special event or whenever you have craving for Italian dishes.Special Features:
- The following 196 reviews are from the Trattoria Fantastica reviews archive.
- Birthday breakfastBreakfastDined on 7/13/2014I have been here before but on a different day and time. The food as usual was great as was the service. But I hadn't seen my friends in 4 years and I could't hear above all the noise. So I wouldn't recommend the place to talk to old friends. I must say that having the service to reserve a table on line was fantastic since I live in Mexico. Thank you for this service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!KimHDined on 7/4/2014This was a very nice spot for some excellent Italian food. Nothing fancy, just a relaxed setting with great service!Special Features:
- great foodazslimDined on 7/3/2014again, great food and service. An always stop when in San Diego.Special Features:
- Oh what a night!fredfeastsDined on 6/12/2014Awesome food! Pure, natural tastes not obscured by heavy sauces and a staff so kind, friendly and knowledgeable to be envied by any chef. And very excited proprietors. What a leisurely joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carb loadingMichDined on 5/31/2014My fellow Team In Training mentors were getting ready to do the San Diego Marathon & half the following day and were looking for a place to ge some carbs in and I found this restaurant on Open Table. I knew everything would be packed that night and this place was accommodating to our group of 8 - which actually turned into only 6. I wish I could remember our waiters name but he was informative on the menu and was super attentive. We were all wearing our Team In Training shirts (TNT raises money for rhe Leukemia and lymphoma Society) and given a 10% discount because we were doing the race the next day. The waiter shared his connection to Cancer and thanked us for what we do. The food and service was excellent - I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Wonderful BreakfastsmpaytonDined on 5/24/2014I've been to Cafe Zucchero for dessert and for dinner, but recently went for breakfast one Saturday. The food was simple and well done. It was during the Farmer's Market, so if you go then I recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this placeCrazy4foodVIPDined on 5/22/2014Every time we are in San Diego we make a point to visit this restaurant. Great casual Italian restaurant with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ItalianVinneyVIPDined on 5/20/2014this is terrific italian…. don't miss it!! it has great food, rest sidewalk dining and terrific patio in back it is one of a kind…Special Features:
- Delish!GinanetDined on 4/13/2014Love this place! And the Italian bakery is fantastic!!!!! Great service and great food. Our waitress was a sweetheart. Corking fee is $15 but they have great wine there. So either way you are all set. We had a reservation for 6 and it was ready when we walked in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time FindChrisAlba92101Dined on 4/6/2014Went to Open Table to make a reservation to a different restaurant and was unable to get the time i needed. Trattoria Fantastica was suggested as an alternative and since we were looking for Italian food we decide to try and it was great for our family. We had family in every age group including under ten and we all had a great time. Recommend the Lava Cake for the chocolate lovers. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this restaurant!happycustomerDined on 3/26/2014I absolutely love Trattoria Fantastica! I've been several times now, and every time the food was delicious, the service great and a wonderful overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great ambience,moveuDined on 3/1/2014Great service, great ambience, Italian music, just perfectSpecial Features:
- FantasticarobodocDined on 2/17/2014This restaurant provides great food, and service. We went for dinner, and ordered pizza and pasta which was very good, our server was attentive and had personality (a rarity in today's cookie cutter restaurant world. I would highly recommend Trattoria Fantastica to any friend looking for a good meal in Little Italy. I only dinged them on the ambiance, as this is a checkered tablecloth type place, and brown butchers paper on top. This type of look just can feel tacky at times. The outdoor dining is quite pleasant and would be amazing on a nice summer day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBOS2SANVIPDined on 2/6/2014Have eaten here a few times and really enjoy their pizza. I ordered the margherita pizza which had a great thin crust and fresh herbs on top. My friend ordered the chicken parm with pasta and said it was fantastic. It was very busy that night and the ambience was dynamic. Will definitely return to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Little ItalyDreamplangoVIPDined on 1/19/2014I went to Trattatoria Fantastica with a party of 8 including two children. The service was great, the live music was a nice addition and the food wad very good. I will definitely return the next time that I am in San DiegoSpecial Features:
- Good Night, Lots of Familiesosunavy21Dined on 12/31/2013My wife and I wanted to find a place that was quiet for a New Years Eve dinner. We thought this place would be a little more romantic, but it was packed to the brim. We had mostly families on vacation around us, and could barely hear each other. Food was good and service was pretty good until we got our food. I had planned to order another round of drinks when the food came, but the waiter didn’t come to check on us until I was almost done eating. We got desert at the wine/coffee bar that is attached and that was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good not so badDLFSanJoseDined on 12/28/2013We had an okay time taking our grandchildren to the restaurant. However the food was only ok with the cexception of the night special , all the staff was very friendly. I would go back only because it was easy for the children, otherwise I would sample some of the neighboring restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 71st BirthdaylcabralDined on 12/3/2013Took my dad here for his birthday and he loved it. This is dinning spot to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice amongst the massesumbowlerDined on 11/20/2013San Diego's Little Italy is a vibrant section of town with many dining options. This one was great. Seated immediately, server was gracious and attentive, food and drinks fabulous. Can't wait to return!!Special Features:
- Bellisima!KristineVIPDined on 11/6/2013I cannot say enough about this place. I was in San Diego on business and had some free time on a Wednesday morning and early afternoon. The restaurant was bustling already at 10:00 and there seemed to be a lively crowd of regulars. Alvina was my server, and she was nothing short of excellent. The hostess, whose name I did not catch, was very nice and courteous when I arrived early for my reservation. She informed me that breakfast was being served until 11:30 and asked if I wanted to wait for lunch, which I did. She seated me right away when I came back 25 minutes later. Now for the food. The food was excellent. I love the focaccia bread they give you to start with, the caprese was terrific and the Contadina pasta was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDaisyDined on 10/25/2013Good food, but not outstanding. Service was good, but not great. Restaurant had a nice old world feel with Italian music playing. It was a bit loud, but when we asked to have it turned down, they did and it was much easier to have conversation. The music was a lovely touch once it was turned down. Overall experience was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbor favoriteToniDined on 10/12/2013Good food for the price. Great service. Only complaint is the loudness of the music. We had to ask a couple times to have it turned down so we could hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it thoroughly.ericVIPDined on 10/5/2013From out of town. Picked it from OpenTable. Completely happy. Little Italy in San Diego on a Saturday night is hopping. Wow. Would not have been seated without the reservation. Food was very good. Pasta delicious. Wait-staff could not have been more friendly and attentive. I would 100% come back here. Great variety of Italian dishes. Reasonably priced, clearly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the outdoor patio inSnowmanDined on 8/26/2013Love the outdoor patio in the back. Feels like you are in Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ItalienOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/20/2013I'd walked past this place a hundred times without ever stopping in. A friend made reservations there and I was wowed by the food. The service is, well, serviceable, and the ambiance is sort of neutral, but everything I've eaten here is excellent - especially the fish. Recently both Halibut and Sea Bass were absolutely yummy. And they also make a great Osso Buca.Special Features:
- GREAT!!gsterDined on 8/16/2013It was a very special occasion since it was a pre celebration for my friends birthday. The food was great and my friends loved the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleased, will return againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2013I thought maybe on a Tuesday it would be somewhat slow like the other restaurants, but nope, it was hopping! Glad we had a reservation as all of the tables were full! I enjoyed the ambiance most of all and the live music was so good that at first we thought it was the radio or CD and we were stunned to learn it was live music. The musicians sang authentic Italian songs. The service was good, mostly timely, but we had to pour our own wine twice. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable about the wines, and dishes. He was good, just didn't quite hit the 4 star level. As for the food, the menu was fantastic, prices fair, everything was tasty except the mussels were a little off. A solid 4 stars. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.