Trattoria di Umberto
4417 Sundial Place
Whistler, BC V0N 1B4Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Trattoria di Umberto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelvilladelia.com/restaurants.cfm
- Phone: 6049325858
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Umberto Menghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Trattoria di Umberto
Featuring rustic Tuscan cuisine in a warm and family-friendly atmosphere. You"ll find us in the heart of Whistler Village, Trattoria offers the year-round sports enthusiast fine Italian cuisine for a refreshing break after skiing, hiking, golf, or mountain biking. We thrive on style and originality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria di Umberto reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (15)romantic (13)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (8)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- sooogoodDined on 7/29/2014We first dined at this restaurant 30 years ago...and it was as great today as it was 30 years ago...food was great and they were kid friendly...looking for to coming back againSpecial Features:
- Hit and miss but would still returnGaryDined on 7/28/2014I have been to the restaurant a number of times in the past years and the food has been good in general. On this occassion, though, some of the starters and mains we ordered were good but some were below their usual standard. Surprisingly, the basic things like spaghetti vongole was over complicated with mixed in off the shell cockles as well as clams in the shell, which ended up drowning the pasta with too much seafood meat. Simplicity is key for these classic dishes. Having said this, I will still return to give them another chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Walkin in the door was like being transplanted to Italy. Beautiful, comfortable setting. Open kitchen. Great service. All our our meals were delicious.Special Features:
- Just okayPickyDined on 7/24/2014Food was expensive and really pretty average. I got gnocchi and it was smothered in the gar gondola sauce. Not particularly gourmet. Service was decent but I think for the price I would somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great service!foodie1003Dined on 7/15/2014Our second time here, and will keep coming back. Always busy, buzzing with chatter. Open kitchen is a nice touch! Food is amazing, service is even better. The staff is very professional and knowledgeable. Could not ask for more.Special Features:
- luvthetrattDined on 7/12/2014My family has been going to the Tratt in Whistler for years. I have never been disappointed when I go. The service is always great and the food is fantastic. This is my favorite restaurant in Whistler for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cosy elegancemarciamccDined on 7/4/2014We love this restaurant, we've been going to Whistler for years but the Trattoria is off the beaten path. The entrance is either through a hidden driveway or through the outdoor pool at the hotel. Whatever, once you're inside it's like you've been transported to Italy, the food is delicious and fresh and local. I wish I'd known about it earlier but now that I do we'll visit every time we're in townSpecial Features:
- Great pastas!Whis2014VIPDined on 7/3/2014I loved it when I was between two dishes and the server mentioned it will be no problem to get both half portions in a rectangular plate for an addition price. Both Linguine al pesto and Spaghetti alla amatriciana were really good!! Servers were very friendly and efficient service bringing all plates simultaneuosly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Consistently Whistler's most relaxing and enjoyable dining experience, year-in, year-out.
- Wonderful as usual.jennypDined on 6/21/2014Many times a year we bring our friends and family from around the world to the Trat when they visit Whistler. It has yet to disappoint us. Great wine, great food, always amazing service. Try the gorgonzola appie or the carpaccio, followed by a pesto pasta or the Indiana curry...mmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special birthday.jbom55Dined on 6/20/2014Great food, very personable service, good wine list. Probably the best pasta I've had in a long time. In fact, I couldn't choose between two pasta dishes, so they cheerfully suggested to go"half-and-half" between both dishes. They made my wife's birthday special. The track of lamb she ordered was the best either of us had ever had. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Like Bath WaterMyleeDined on 6/13/2014Most surprising part of dining here was our $145 bottle of wine was far too warm. We inquired as to whether they had a cellar and apparently they do, but a management decision was that wine be kept in the dining room. We complained and were told that we weren't the first to complain and the manager knows of the complaints but won't do anything about it! Also the minestrone was described as being made with two beans. I assumed that meant two different kinds of beans so I was surprised when my minestrone arrived with exactly two beans in it (of the same variety). They did bring a new bowl of soup with lots of two kinds of beans once I brought it to their attention. This was probably my sixth or seventh time eating there. Won't go back.
- Trattoria di Umberto superbOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2014We enjoyed the location and decor of Trattoria di Umberto. There is a nice view over the pool deck to the mountains and village. We all enjoyed our meals as each course was delicious. Service was efficient and courteous. I noted that the room is not so noisy as some restaurants tend to be and I appreciate that. JohnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - good food.ScrappyandthekidDined on 6/6/2014Great service. Good food. Pasta with clams - disappointing. Overall a place that we would go back to.Special Features:
- The following 391 reviews are from the Trattoria di Umberto reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014First impressions, gate was closed, walked through to find a barricaded pool. Inside restaurant was extremely warm, to the extent that guests were opening windows for air. Only 1/2 of restaurant was being used so everyone was jammed in and very loud. We had a table for two but we could not hear each other unless we spoke very loud. Not a quiet relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- A Happy OccasionBirthdayDelishDined on 5/31/2014We celebrated a birthday here! The service at the beginning was amazing. We had our waters constantly being filled, brought fresh bread and our waiter regularly checked on us until we were ready to order. There was also an allergy on the table and they were quick to accommodate it. However, once we got our food the service went a little sparse. Our glasses were empty for half the dinner and we had to wait a while for the waiter to come back to check on us, waiting on asking for additional bread before we began which actually didn't come until the end of the meal. However, the wait staff were all very nice and the food was delicious. We would highly recommend this Italian place for a special occasion as it is more on the pricier side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bestonlyDined on 5/29/2014Excellent dinner as usual. Vongole still the best anywhere. Our favourite Whistler restaurant.Special Features:
- relaxed and fabulousmugsyDined on 5/18/2014this was our second visit and we were truly impressed with the relaxed ambiance and delicious dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic....RceeDined on 5/17/2014In every sense of the word, spectacular. Service, food, and energy was divine. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Will Not Go Back.PattiDined on 5/16/2014Poor Service. We waited over an hour for our food. No apology from the waiter. The maitre d apologized after we complained and offered the adults each a glass of wine. We had already had wine so accepted one glass to share ( there were two adults) but they brought the wrong kind and mixed one of our glasses which had a different kind in it. Food was average. There was a dog at the table next to us who barked and whined! Please...Dogs in a restaurant. Very expensive for such a bad experience.
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Awesome Dinner to celebrate mom! Food is outstanding and the service is second to none! Expensive, but I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhistlerfoodieDined on 5/2/2014My favorite restaurant in Whistler. Amazing 3 course special on now.Special Features:
- Everything a hitGreatfoodDined on 5/1/2014From the moment we entered it was going to be a good dinner . Food, service all outstanding. Plus they had my favourite wine and dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodpattybootsDined on 4/29/2014Had a fantastic dinner here. Food was exceptional in all courses, and the service was prompt. I would definitely recommend it for a formal sit down dinner.Special Features:
- Always good at the Trat!SteakloverDined on 4/26/2014One of the most consistent high end eateries in Whistler. Expensive and worth every penny! In almost 30 years of dining here I have never had a bad or even mediocre meal. Consistently great food. Walter is always there to greet you and services is friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerHappyCoupleDined on 4/21/2014It was our anniversary dinner. Upon arrival, Walter sent over 2 glasses of complimentary sparkling wine in acknowledgement. We sat up at the bar overlooking the kitchen which we loved. The food & service was great. We are from Vancouver and try and head up to Whistler whenever possible. We always go, for at least one dinner, to Trattoria during our stay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whistler LovewhathappensinwhistlerDined on 4/19/2014Tratoria di Umberto holds very many wonderful memories over the years I have dined there... I'm never disappointed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay But Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014Service was very good. Friendly and attentive. Food was okay but not great. Over dressed salads and decent mains but for an expensive restaurant not up to par.
- Outstanding food, unpretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014A fantastic little restaurant! This place was recommended by one of the locals, and did not disappoint. Our wait staff was extremely efficient and well organized. My dinner: Ahi Tuna & Avocado Tartar, followed by potato & broccoli soup, followed by the duck breast special, was outstanding. Each dish was fragrant, and extremely well presented. All of the food was delicious. The only drawback was that this restaurant is quite packed, and with a full seating, the noise level was deafening. I loved the food, but the noise became unbearable. This however is a sign of the popularity of the spot, and enjoyment of its clientele.Special Features:
- Fast FoodLocalsDined on 4/5/2014Great spot but Entree arrived less than 5 minutes after entrees were cleared. Will order when we want meals delivered next time. Shame is such a nice place to have to resort to this strategy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HideawayBatmanDined on 4/1/2014A nice Italian restaurant, away from the main stroll. It was quite and a nice place to have a relaxing meal. I would go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014I come here each time I go to Whistler. The service is great. Walter is an icon (manager). They made my pasta the way I wanted it, and the server said she loves it that way, as well. The dessert is the best in the Village. Truly. You must go here.Special Features:
- Love Love LoveMangerDined on 3/29/2014One of my favourite all time restaurants. Have been coming for years. I was broken hearted when Umberto closed his Vancouver location last year. You always know what to expect at this and all of Umberto's restaurants. The ambiance is just what we like- suitable for romance or a larger size fun group. They always cater to why you are there. Every item on the menu here is excellent and over the years we have had it all. My favourite is the Gorgonzola Gnocchi. I drool just thinking of it. The price is very competitive for Whistler and worth every cent from my experience. Will be back next time we are up there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreZorroweVIPDined on 3/29/2014This restaurant may be a victim of expectations....we just expected more from an Umberto restaurant--and for the price. The best words to describe this restaurant are "mediocre" and "old school". We dined at Il Caminetto a week prior and we emjoyed ourselves immensely there (it had a much more innovative menu and it's decor and ambiance much more lush and relaxing). At Trattoria, we had a ceasar salad, 2 pastas(both pastas were slightly undercooked asthe pasta still was crunchy/starchy and hadn't reached the silky al dente point--same with side of risotto); the braised beef dish (osso bucco? shin? not memorable...) was tender but lacked flavour, and tiramisu felt like it came straight from the fridge and was very cold.
- Great but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014We've eaten here several times, and it is always good. The food is dependably very good, and there is a fun, happy atmosphere. But it is getting to be very expensive, even by Whistler standards. We'll have to leave the kids at home next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplendidgolfladyVIPDined on 3/15/2014Everything about our experience dining at Trattoria di Umberto was splendid. The staff from the coat check woman to the manager was very attentive. The wine, appetizers and main dishes were all very tasty. One can't go wrong dining there.Special Features:
- It was a zoo! Spring breakBearVIPDined on 3/14/2014It was a zoo! Spring break is really not the time to try and do dinner at a nice restaurant in Whistler. However, with an 8:30 reservation, I thought we'd be fine. Everyone was slow to dine so our table wasn't ready. The Maitre'd was excellent and got a window table as soon as he could so the noise level was reduced to 3 sides! Nonetheless, the service from Jay was outstanding, the food as great as ever and we had a lovely bottle of wine. Jay even had the kitchen whip up a special sauce for the gnocci, much to my companion's delight. I'd highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality top to bottomBobbyDDined on 3/11/2014Fantastic service, selection, and food. Everything was better than expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked Away ItalianskiFANDined on 3/11/2014It had been over 5 years since we had dined at Umberto. We enjoyed our previous meals there and usually made it our final meal before heading home after a week of skiing. We wondered if the place had changed or if we should select another option. We were happy we stuck with tradition. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. Wonderful aroma coming from the bustling kitchen. Great recommendation for a bottle of wine within our price point. We had the tuna appetizer and soup to start off our meal, followed by NY steak and the sausage penne pasta. The food in this ski resort town in not inexpensive, but you don't mind paying when you can relax and enjoy your meal. The restaurant is perfect for families with older children and groups dining out.
- Bon Appetite!DelishDined on 3/7/2014We had a wonderful time kick starting birthday weekend celebration with friends over great food and cocktails. Food was outstanding and our server was fantastic! We had a really enjoyable time! The fillet was to die for... Melt in your mouth!! The other tasty fish was the sea bass that 2 friends had and kept raving about with each bite! Their pink grapefruit martini...YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.