Trattoria di Monica
67 Prince St
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Trattoria di Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monicasboston.com/
- Phone: 6177205472
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick and Frank Mendoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Trattoria di Monica
Trattoria di Monica is located in the heart of Boston's North End. At the corner of Prince and Salem Streets, you will find this small 25 seat candlelit dining room with colorful walls and original artwork. Chef-owners Patrick, Frank, and Jorge Mendoza serve homemade pastas with an imaginative twist, prepared with locally grown produce, New England seafood, and Imported Ingredients from the North End's best salumeria, Monica's Mercato.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria di Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (121)fit for foodies (83)romantic (68)special occasion (51)notable wine list (30)hot spot (19)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Northend gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014We love going to Trattoria di Monica. The waitresses are attentive, the food consistency fresh and delicious, and the menu always is enhanced by a variety of specials. The ambiance is relaxed and warm. Definitely a must experencein the Northend.Special Features:
- hit and miss with this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014on the way to our favorite place in the N. End we decided to try a new place, we ordered the stuffed squash bloosoms which were great, but service was slow and it was only 3:15 so it wasnt busy. My ceasar salad and chicken rice soup tasted good but the rice was a bit undercooked. The big disappointment was in the pasta and sauce, it says fresh made daily but it didnt taste like it. The sauces were bland and lack luster. The Chicken Cacciatore was a huge disappointment, there was next to no chicken and barely enough peppers to call this a cacciatore. Service was mediaocre as well and the waitress didnt come check to see how things were. Maybe it wa an off day but I doubt we will go back.
- DinnerdglepusDined on 9/20/2014One of the best North End meals we have had in a while. A must visit if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best View in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Trust your waiter. If you ask, he will very politely tell you if you should pick another item. Our waiter was a lovely man who was gracious and polite and did not hover but gave great service. Eat the spinach salad with the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I could have just eaten that! My hubby loved the double bacon, tomato salad.Special Features:
- Nice, small place with good foodPC123Dined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent, the food was good and the place although it is small was very nice and romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny but terrificZebrahDined on 9/11/2014A fun little spot- great friendly service...definitely suggest making a reservation! We did and were seated timely! Food was fresh, flavorful and looked great too. ( my husband especially enjoyed the 3 course special - really loved the spinach gnocchi with pork ragu. I had a wonderful arugula salad with pears/citrus and the scallop with pappardelle - was truly delicious but the pasta could have been cooked slightly more - a little too dense for my liking. Enjoyed nonetheless!). Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really wanted to give 4 stars,butMoocowDined on 9/7/2014This is a VERY small restaurant. But ran like a fine oiled machine. The tables are very close together, so no romantic notions here. I really loved the staff and the service. My pasta was just ok. I like el dente, but this was too much to the tooth. The specials are where you should order from. The other entree at our table was super! The veal piccata was perfect. So fresh, we could hear the kitchen pounding it out.Special Features:
- Too hot to eatBillDined on 9/6/2014Of all restaurants to book in the north end over a month in advance, I chose this one for a birthday weekend dinner highlight. Remember, I booked over a month in advanced and while the place is small (10 tables maybe), the best location they could save for us was right next to the entry to the kitchen and service area. To boot, the temperature in the place was 93 degrees. Have you ever tried to enjoy a fine Italian dinner in 93 degrees? We were told that the AC was out...ya think! My GF has Pumpkin Ravioli which she said was good and I have wheat pasta with shrimp which was ok. The servers were pleasant so that was positive. I was disappointed with my diner experience to say the least. So much for booking more than a month in advance
- thanks open tabletravelersVIPDined on 9/4/2014Not on any top 10 list for visitors, which were all booked for evening, found this gem available via open table search. Interesting menu, even more interesting specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious late night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Awesome food! Food was fresh and was timely. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitNitewithoutkidsDined on 8/29/2014Good service- the waitress was super cute and attentive. We had 9 pm reservations but not so much- as true to other reviews- very very small place and our reservation sat 45 mins late-table for 2. You just can't expect to be on time. We enjoyed our specials sweet potato gnocchi and scallops with walnuts and pesto. Will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monica's girls and the food are itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014crowded, sat down 40 minutes after reservation time and then...wow! the young women taking care of us (one waitress but all her waitress friends were pitching in), efficient, fun, informative, knowledgeable and just downright nice (and honest). Food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonianDined on 8/26/201411st time. Shrimp, garlic& capellini. Fair,not much flavor but pasta w/salt & pepper very good. Little disappointed. Bruschetta was fabulous!! I'll give it another try I think.
- Excellent FoodOnBostonHarborDined on 8/25/2014Consistently in the first rank of all the North End restaurants and in Boston. This is a lick-your-plate restaurant and its informal enough that you can (and probably will)Special Features:
- Excellent North End OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Far enough off Hanover Street that it doesn't feel quite so touristy. Yes, there's a wait, but it's the North End. There's always gonna be a wait, even when you have reservations. The tiny bathroom is in the kitchen and would probably turn many off - but it's rather charming in a tiny venue such as this. Food was great (and a huge amount), staff was top notch, and a fantastic wine list. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Charming Italian RestaurantbostongirlDined on 8/19/2014Delicious food and wonderful cozy atmosphere. Great selection of food and wine.Special Features:
- Summer lunchCGadDined on 8/17/2014My teens and I were spending a special day before the start of school. Trattoria di Monica was a perfect start to a fun day in Boston. Food was great with many seafood specials, and the small intimate setting with tables near the wide open windows added to the festive mood of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Gem!BostonSuburbDinerDined on 8/16/2014Two friends and I celebrated a birthday with dinner here last night. It was amazing! We had a 7:30pm reservation and waited for about 15 minutes for a table to open. This wasn't a big deal to us since it is a small restaurant and people were enjoying their meals. The food was amazing! We started with the spinach bruschetta, which is one of THE best things that I had tasted in quite some time. For my entree I ordered scallops with linguine. I requested traditional linguine over the black linguine and the chef was happy to oblige. The scallops were perfectly carmelized. Each bite was savored! They have a nice selection of wines and thr service was friendly and quick.Special Features:
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014We waited 25 minutes for our 7:00 reservation. The food was very expensive for what it was; the Bruschetta at $9.00 was laking anything special to warrant that price. The waitresses were inattentive and filled with attitude. We won't go back.
- OutstandingBostonstrongVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding . We have never been disappointed . Our favorite place. You can also bring home the best Italian sandwich in the city from their "other" place. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantfoodloverDined on 8/15/2014Although there are many great restaurants in the North End, this one is truly worth the trip. A quite spot away from the bustle of Hanover Street, the food and service are both outstanding, the ambiance is nice and cozy, and it is overall just an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Take a chanceAlwaysintroubleDined on 8/14/2014The service and the ambiance was really nice. My wife and I had great expectations. We heard only good things about this restaurant. My wife ordered primavera with spinach fettuccine in a white wine sauce however, it came in a red sauce. I looked forward to my dish of calamari puttanesca and was a little disappointed. The spaghetti was cooked perfectly however, the sauce was pasty and a little fishy in taste. The appetizer(panzerotti) was delicious and the Cesar salad with white anchovies was excellent. Perhaps it was a bad day for the pasta chef. I will give it another try when I take my next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- Lovely meal with a friendWestEndGalDined on 8/11/2014A friend and I had a lovely meal here on Monday night. Our 7:30 pm reservation was honored immediately, which was a good thing. The restaurant is charming but tiny, so if your table isn't ready, you must wait on the street. Even at 7:30 on a Monday the place was completely full. The food and service were quite good (we had ordered a bottle of wine which was clearly "corked" and sent it back without any fuss - very pleasant server). Overall it was a very pleasant experience. Note: the tables are very close together and the noise level is quite high, so not really a place for a romantic meal, nor a business meeting, but a perfect spot to share a meal and a "chin wag" with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMikeDined on 8/11/2014Four of us went for a celebration. Food was not as good as other we've had in the North End, despite the high ranking in Zagat. VERY tight seating, chair backs touching those at next table. Noisy. Waitress didn't tell us all of the specials, overheard other waitress. No attention to detail, right down to the dead, unwatered plants out front when neighbors' were lush and covered with flowers.
- Excellent!Ba14Dined on 8/5/2014Very small place in the North End. Great service, amazing food, nice ambiance. Try to sit by the open window!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in North EndpoleindcDined on 8/3/2014This is one of the better restaurants in North End. They clearly pay attention to the food and yet all is done in a casual and neighborhood atmosphere. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dining experience!Dina210Dined on 8/2/2014Celebrated our 20th anniversary in Boston & Monica's was recommended to us by the local bartender near our hotel. This was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had & the atmosphere was absolutely perfect! Exactly what we were looking for. We hope to visit again one day! Until then, I'll be searching for similar dining experiences wherever I may roam!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Certainly a North End favorite. Food is always great and the wine list has something to suit everyone. Service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!FranDined on 7/28/2014I was excited to take my husband to the highest rated Italian in the North End on our trip to Boston. The food was very good - not a 28 by any means - but the ambience is AWFUL - 10 tables crowded together in a tiny, incredibly loud room, and my vista was a view of the kitchen. But the worst part was the indifferent and incredibly slow service. We waited almost 30 minutes after ordering, and then our salads came out before our appetizer. When we asked about the appetizer it appeared immediately. It took about 90 minutes to be served three courses which might have been nice if the atmosphere was better. Our dirty appetizer plates remained on the table through the meal. Avoid this place unless all you care about is fresh pasta!
- HueMannDined on 7/26/2014Disembarked ferry after a day of cycling on Cape. Ferry ran late on a beautiful Saturday evening. Phoned restaurant, based upon reviews, was told they were booked for the evening. Checked OT on my phone, saw a 7pm OT (it was 6:43pm) and booked it. Amazing! Pumpkin ravioli was delicious as was my wife's chicken. Good Panna water that, unlike many other restaurants, was not too cold. Bruschetta was tasty and wondefully fresh arugula salad with pear (sliced perfectly carpaccio-like thin) and orange. Bread was standard with standard olive oil (the bread and oil were the only average components of the meal itself but who wants to fill up on bread). Wine was fine. Server was nice, service a bit rushed, but normal for the north End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodmsjuliaDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is great for 2-4 people. It is VERY small. Food was terrific and authentic. Our server was wonderful and helpful with recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodChippyDined on 7/24/2014Tight corridors but wonderful ambiance, food and service. We had a hard time not ordering EVERYTHING on the menu! Excellent specials including unique bruschetta and prosciutto wrapped dates-- YUM! The wine list was OUT OF SIGHT amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, for the neighborhoodKimmyd54Dined on 7/21/2014Food was good. tables very close together, especially for parties of two. Service was a bit slow though and I couldn't understand why. Yes the place was packed but the tables seemed to be coming in steadily and not all at one time. The food was good but I don't know if I'd go back with all the other food options in the neighborhood, and actually we only went here because someone gave us a gift certificateSpecial Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014we went before a concert. we shared nightly special salad, appetizer, and entrée and everything was excellent!Special Features:
- Great Italian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I had the Ravioli di Funghi and it was fantastic. Bruschetta is also a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was my birthday ...BobSDined on 7/12/2014... and my wife and I like to dine in the North End on that occasion. She asks a friend who live there to recommend top dining spots, and Monica's was one suggested. We chose it because she said it was quiet. The noise level was OK (we could have done without the Stones' "Brown Sugar:). But the food made up for any annoyance. The service sparkled. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed houseLN2241Dined on 7/11/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday. Food was decent, but the pasta wasn't even close to al dente. And if that pasta was made by hand that day, I would be shocked. It tasted stale and chewy. Also, there's no escaping conversation with the table next to you in that small a restaurant... not a good place for private conversations.
- ExcellentSallyDined on 7/11/2014Great time -- and the food was amazing. Nice, friendly staff. We had to wait a long time for a table though. (Forgot to say that my reservation was through Open Table--hope that doesn't matter.)Special Features:
- lgharborDined on 7/10/2014Amazing food, but even with a reservation still waited for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/9/2014Waited 45 minutes for a table we had reserved. Watched locals get seated without reservations. We won't be back. Better places in North end.