Trattoria Da Vinci
400 Sibley Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Trattoria Da Vinci
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriadavinci.com/
- Phone: 6512224050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering is available for all occasions. Customize your next event with one of the best. Please contact either Joel 651-222-4050 or Lorie 651-261-3003 for further information and pricing.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private area upstairs that overlooks the entire restaurant and seats 50 comfortably. Perfect for group dinners, private dining events, corporate dinners, wine tastings or surprise birthdays. We"ve done them all.
- Private Party Contact: Toni Rowen 6512224050
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings. Please contact the restaurant for entertainment schedule.
A word from Trattoria Da Vinci
Ambitious fare a step ahead of the usual Italian dishes. This is the real deal Italian food. In Short- At the lunchtime pasta bar, a long line of St. Paul office workers snakes around the restaurant. At dinner, the Pasta bar is also available But the gold medal has to go to the Gamberoni Portofino. How can you go wrong with jumbo shrimp sauteed with portobella mushrooms and asparagus spears in a brandy cream sauce. INCREDIBLE! With live music on Friday and Saturday, the mood is as relaxed and romantic as the women in the Leonardo da Vinci prints hanging on the wall. For lunch, the recommended Focaccia Genovese is juicy, savory and garlicky. The Mushroom ravioli is above average, but the star dish is the Parmesan-crusted cold water walleye.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Trattoria Da Vinci - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Trattoria Da Vinci reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (37)romantic (33)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dinner before the show.BubblesDined on 10/25/2014We love the menu and service at Trattoria Da Vinci's. We had an early reservation to accommodate later activities and the live music was a good accompaniment to our dinner. The vodka gimlets were old school excellent (with hazelnuts) as was the house Chianti. The main courses were excellent and the pasta a perfect al dente. It was a fine dinner in Lower Town St Paul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta bar!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Very nice restaurant. A group of us went on a Wednesday evening, there were hardly any other patrons, so it was very quiet. Service was very good. Really enjoyed the pasta bar.
- Family favoriteTheo529Dined on 10/18/2014This is a favorite when our family gathers from across town - we enjoy the setting and the food is wonderful. I enjoy the selection of pastas and sauces, and I generally get a to-go box because the portions are generous!Special Features:
- Great Pasta BarTKENTDined on 10/17/2014First time here and had a great experience! The make your own pasta bar was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has gluten free pasta option nowCocoaDined on 10/16/2014The pasta bar never disappoints. Even on the busiest of afternoon lunch crowds, the line moves smoothly and quickly. Four different sauces to choose from and plentiful veggie, seafood and meat additions. My favorite has to be the spicy marinara and Alfredo mix. The bread with spiced butter is delicious as well. Was particularly excited to discover they just added a gluten free pasta the other week. It's quite tasty as well! It's made individually and not on the menu yet, so be sure up ask your waiter if that is a dietary need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!ColtsFanMNDined on 10/11/2014Love the live musician and the 'Pasta Experience' is Wonderful. My wife and I dine here whenever we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014The staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. The food was excellent with generous sized portions. We plan to visit again! This was a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Da Vinci is Magnifico!cfoodd8Dined on 9/27/2014We had dinner before the Opera on Saturday night. The Italian shabby chic décor feels like Italy. The menu is short, but there is plenty of good food, for Italian food lovers and for those watching carbs. I had the Parmesan-crusted walleye which was tender and flaky. The Canaletto Pino Grigio from their Italian winelist was lovely. The Fettuccine Alla Bolognese included al dente homemade noodles in a delightful savory meat ragu. With valet parking next to the restaurant, there’s plenty of time to drive to the Ordway to make the 7:30 pm curtain. Our server was attentive and did not rush us. But if you have somewhere to be, let them know. We didn’t and had to skip dessert. The dessert menu looks spectacular! We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Family night out.NorwegiansDined on 9/26/2014Great food, great atmosphere and fun location. We enjoy a walk in the park before or after dinner when we come to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pasta Bar AgainAndoverFoodieDined on 9/26/2014Celebrated another birthday here and had another awesome trip to the pasta bar. So fresh. So filling. Excellent service and experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BummedThisTimeDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful place to eat. Have the best parmasean crusted walleye recipe. Very disappointed that the lunch menu other than salads and the pasta bar was unavailable. Got a res specifically for the walleye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably deliciousJazzigDined on 9/13/2014We don't get to Trattoria very often, but we always know the food will not disappoint. This time was no different. Tried the "pasta experience" for the first time--it's a great choice, and the serving size is more than enough. All the ingredients were fresh and flavorful, and we'll have another dinner with the portions we couldn't finish. :)Special Features:
- Great experience/the right server?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This is my girlfriends and I favorite restaurant and were very excited to bring my father and sister for their birthday celebration. We have been here many times just the two of us and coincidentally always get the same server and have had a great experience every time we go! Great food, great ambiance, and wonderful service. So don't be confused by my review it's based on this night. It was terrible, we waited 25 minutes for a bottle of wine. We were giving plastic wine glass and told they didn't have any clean glasses. If I'm paying $40+ dollars for a bottle I want real glasses with it. We arrived at 7 and didn't get our food until 9. I was embarrassed that I suggested the restaurant. Horrible service that night. My gf and I will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Da VinciOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Great italian food. The "Pasta Experience", where you make your own pasta creation, is fun and you get exactly what you want. Great for a date, special occasion or just lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They never let us downTeddyandmeDined on 9/5/2014Whether it's just the two of us, or a birthday party, Trattoria DaVinci never let's us down. The food, the drinks the service and the ambience bring us back time and again.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service!critic2knowDined on 9/5/2014The make your own pasta bar gives you a wide range of options to make your perfect pasta bowl. I am an extremely picky eater and my food was fantastic! Everyone else at the table was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was as well.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDiner1Dined on 9/5/2014Went there on a Friday night at 5:30 thinking it was going to be packed. I was surprised to see it mostly empty. By the time I left at 7:30 it was filling up. The Pasta bar thing was odd..I have never seen that before, I was scared so did not order it. I did order the Mushroom Ravioli which was fantastic. Large ravioli with large chunks of mushrooon and fresh artichokes. Delicious sauce, creamy tomato. House Cianti I had was great. I was disappointed in the Creme Brule which is one of my favorite desserts. The burnt sugar was pretty much all I tasted as the custard portion was completed liquidy as there was not enough in the shallow dish it was completely watery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experiencejimmdDined on 8/30/2014The kids and I were craving some Italian food and found this restaurant in a pleasant St. Paul neighborhood after visiting the local science museum. Parking can be a bit of a challenge but there is valet available. Portions were large, the dishes were well made, and there was a live guitarist playing lovely music to boot. The only minor knock is that the restroom is out of the restaurant and down the hallway which can be especially challenging if you have smaller children.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Excellent food quality, great tasting flavored, in a relaxed environment setting. Pasta bar (if you want it) has excellent selection and generous portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service!mgnoixDined on 8/6/2014I always have my birthday dinner here and every year, the service (and food) is fantastic! Sometimes I have guests arriving late or have more people joining me than expected and the service given is always respectful and flexible. Thank you for your wonderful services and always making my birthday special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work Group!JodiDDined on 7/30/2014We always do birthday lunches and really enjoy coming there, food is fantastic, services is great!!Special Features:
- Consistently ImpressedsonyalynnDined on 7/29/2014Trattoria is one of few places that I know will consistently be great! We took some friends here for a special occasion and they were very impressed. The food portions are huge too! We had fun at the pasta bar, making our own creations. Myself, as a lover of Italian food, I am oftentimes left in the dust for gluten free options. They will make anything with rice instead. I was skeptical in the past, but tried it this time and can't wait to go back for more. We love love love this place!Special Features:
- dmetzdmetzDined on 7/26/2014Nice location. Ambiance was nice. We ordered a bottle of wine and the bread came to our table. Very plain white bread with butter in a plastic tub. I ordered the Walleye and my wife the Chicken Parm. Both were overcooked. When I brought this to the server's attention, he apologized, took the Walleye and disappeared. He didn't offer to try again or anything in its place. he returned with the bill and the cost of the Walleye was removed. Not a good experience.
- A favorite placeChriskVIPDined on 7/26/2014This time we came with a group of nine old friends from out of town. We road the Green Line from the Midway area. We were pleasantly greeted and seated immediately. Our waitress was very friendly and took our drink orders. People ordered a variety of pasta dishes as well as the ribeye. Everyone commented on how delicious the entrees tasted and there were not that many leftovers. We sat right below the musician. He was very goog and not so loud that we could not talk. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodWheels260Dined on 7/16/2014I remember when the restaurant was called Café da Vinci - we used to go there for lunch sometimes for the pasta bar! It was yummy! Pasta bar is somewhat the same - the chef behind is quiet though and doesn't seem to engage much with guests. This time I ordered off the menu - walleye. Good size portion - walleye was a little over-cooked. I miss the lasagna that used to be on the menu :( It was by far my favorite in the Twin Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to celebrateSarahDined on 7/11/2014We chose to celebrate a coworkers retirement. It was nice to have good food and good conversation.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!ginabeanMNDined on 7/10/2014Awesome marinara sauce for spaghetti and meatballs. Perfectly coated pasta, cooked al dente served with well -seasoned meatballs that were moist and full of authentic flavor. My husband had a sandwich he proclaimed "delicious". The fried it came with were crispy, battered, copious and quite tasty. Our waitress was attentive and accomodating, friendly and helpful. An overall excellent experience. We will be back. My only disappointment was that they did not read my special request. I said this was my 50th birthday and asked for a special dessert. No mention was even made. I was fine if they could not accomodate my request, but not to even acknowledge my birthday? I was a bit upset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my FavoritesteddyVIPDined on 7/3/2014I eat out a lot. But I never pass up a chance to go to this restaurant. It has been gret to watch it grow over the years. I recommend it to lots of friends. Definitely try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 746 reviews are from the Trattoria Da Vinci reviews archive.
- ok servicekatz5Dined on 6/28/2014We made our reservation earlier in the day. When we arrived, the restaurant was almost completely empty. The hostess proceeded to seat us at a table right at the front entrance of the restaurant - what I would consider one of the least desirable tables. When we asked to be moved to a table by the window instead, the hostess seemed bothered by our request. It seemed that we had then been deemed "trouble makers" because the waiter wasn't very nice to us either. He wasn't outwardly annoyed like the hostess but just not very personable. The food was good, but honestly if I'm going to pay that much for a meal, I want really good service along with it. I was disappointed by the bread as well, not very flavorful. Not sure we'll dine here again.Special Features:
- Great Dinner before Jazz Festout2eatDined on 6/27/2014One of our favorite places in St. Paul, we reserved our table for Friday evening of the Jazz Festival. Brady, who has waited on us previously, brought us warm bread, Chianti, chopped salad and then the seafood pasta - all delicious! For dessert, we tried the cannolis, which were dipped in chocolate and topped with gelato- totally yum! Our dinner took about an hour, after which we walked out to listen to the Jazz in Mears Park, lead by Bradford Marsalis. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Da Vinci's!!MR12Dined on 6/25/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday with the pasta bar and enjoyed it immensely ~ thank you for the lovely evening & terrific food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic cuisine w/ A-1 serviceDineoutguruDined on 6/24/2014Trattoria Da Vinci provides a delicious Pasts experience with an energetic and attetive wait staff - Thanks Brady! We experienced excellent ambiance on our 25th Wedding Anniversary and finished it off with a chocolate torte and an axcellent cup of coffee!Special Features:
- Enjoyed my mealRosiethugprincessDined on 6/24/2014Food was good, loved our waiter, and felt taken care of by the staff. Had the Bolignase with fresh mozzarella and my wife had ravioli with mushrooms both a great choiceSpecial Features:
- DisappointingbclintonkDined on 6/24/2014We were looking for a quality Italian dining experience in downtown Saint Paul and left disappointed. Seafood dishes were pedestrian, and that may be generous. It's hard to get quality seafood in this part of the country, but Da Vinci fell far short of its competitors. Simple pasta and sauce dishes were OK but nothing special. Many of the dishes tasted as if they had been hastily warmed in the microwave. It's a nice space in a great location. Just needs a competent chef.
- Wonderful Pasta BarkbenaeDined on 6/21/2014We all loved our pasta dishes we ordered. The pasta bar was fabulous. Great service and wonderful food with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Top Meals Ever!Pinecone174Dined on 6/20/2014After 35 years married and travels around the world, we both remember two of our very favorite meals. Now we added a 3rd to our all time best dining experiences, just 2 miles from home! It was my birthday, a Friday night. The décor is lovely - rustic brick walls, high ceilings with hints of Italy and Da Vinci art. The staff is young, professional and efficient, with excellent timing during the meal. At the back of the restaurant a man with an electric acoustic guitar played beautiful jazz and classical tunes - perfect background music which enhanced the ambiance but didn't affect conversation. There is a bar and a cook-on-the-spot pasta bar if you so choose. EVERYTHING on the menu is outstanding! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Perfect DateDerekJoleneDined on 6/14/2014Took my girl friend there. Had an excellent dinner. Will bring her back as my wife. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Excellent pasta barbusinessmealDined on 6/13/2014Excellent food and service the ability to get in and have fresh food over the lunch hour was fantastic. Would recommend to anyone that is looking for a great Italian restaurant to try in Downtown St. Paul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBrianDined on 6/10/2014We had a fantastic time for dinner. Our server was the best, have had him numerous times. One member of our party didn't like their martini and he got her something else right away! Food was fantastic as always, can't go wrong with the pasta experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014We were here 5 years ago for a special occasion and liked it but were not as impressed this time, I had the ragu bolognese and my date had the walleye...we both found our meals to be average or below. Rather disappointing AS THEY HAD BEEN SUGGESTED BY OUR WAITER WHO WAS OTHERWISE VERY GOOD.NOT VERY BUSY FOR A SAT NITE WHICH MAY BE THE REASON WHY.Special Features: