Trattoria Da Vinci
400 Sibley Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Trattoria Da Vinci
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriadavinci.com/
- Phone: 6512224050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering is available for all occasions. Customize your next event with one of the best. Please contact either Joel 651-222-4050 or Lorie 651-261-3003 for further information and pricing.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private area upstairs that overlooks the entire restaurant and seats 50 comfortably. Perfect for group dinners, private dining events, corporate dinners, wine tastings or surprise birthdays. We"ve done them all.
- Private Party Contact: Toni Rowen 6512224050
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings. Please contact the restaurant for entertainment schedule.
A word from Trattoria Da Vinci
Ambitious fare a step ahead of the usual Italian dishes. This is the real deal Italian food. In Short- At the lunchtime pasta bar, a long line of St. Paul office workers snakes around the restaurant. At dinner, the Pasta bar is also available But the gold medal has to go to the Gamberoni Portofino. How can you go wrong with jumbo shrimp sauteed with portobella mushrooms and asparagus spears in a brandy cream sauce. INCREDIBLE! With live music on Friday and Saturday, the mood is as relaxed and romantic as the women in the Leonardo da Vinci prints hanging on the wall. For lunch, the recommended Focaccia Genovese is juicy, savory and garlicky. The Mushroom ravioli is above average, but the star dish is the Parmesan-crusted cold water walleye.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Trattoria Da Vinci - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Trattoria Da Vinci reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (38)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Reliably deliciousJazzigDined on 9/13/2014We don't get to Trattoria very often, but we always know the food will not disappoint. This time was no different. Tried the "pasta experience" for the first time--it's a great choice, and the serving size is more than enough. All the ingredients were fresh and flavorful, and we'll have another dinner with the portions we couldn't finish. :)Special Features:
- Great experience/the right server?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This is my girlfriends and I favorite restaurant and were very excited to bring my father and sister for their birthday celebration. We have been here many times just the two of us and coincidentally always get the same server and have had a great experience every time we go! Great food, great ambiance, and wonderful service. So don't be confused by my review it's based on this night. It was terrible, we waited 25 minutes for a bottle of wine. We were giving plastic wine glass and told they didn't have any clean glasses. If I'm paying $40+ dollars for a bottle I want real glasses with it. We arrived at 7 and didn't get our food until 9. I was embarrassed that I suggested the restaurant. Horrible service that night. My gf and I will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Da VinciOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Great italian food. The "Pasta Experience", where you make your own pasta creation, is fun and you get exactly what you want. Great for a date, special occasion or just lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They never let us downTeddyandmeDined on 9/5/2014Whether it's just the two of us, or a birthday party, Trattoria DaVinci never let's us down. The food, the drinks the service and the ambience bring us back time and again.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service!critic2knowDined on 9/5/2014The make your own pasta bar gives you a wide range of options to make your perfect pasta bowl. I am an extremely picky eater and my food was fantastic! Everyone else at the table was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was as well.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDiner1Dined on 9/5/2014Went there on a Friday night at 5:30 thinking it was going to be packed. I was surprised to see it mostly empty. By the time I left at 7:30 it was filling up. The Pasta bar thing was odd..I have never seen that before, I was scared so did not order it. I did order the Mushroom Ravioli which was fantastic. Large ravioli with large chunks of mushrooon and fresh artichokes. Delicious sauce, creamy tomato. House Cianti I had was great. I was disappointed in the Creme Brule which is one of my favorite desserts. The burnt sugar was pretty much all I tasted as the custard portion was completed liquidy as there was not enough in the shallow dish it was completely watery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experiencejimmdDined on 8/30/2014The kids and I were craving some Italian food and found this restaurant in a pleasant St. Paul neighborhood after visiting the local science museum. Parking can be a bit of a challenge but there is valet available. Portions were large, the dishes were well made, and there was a live guitarist playing lovely music to boot. The only minor knock is that the restroom is out of the restaurant and down the hallway which can be especially challenging if you have smaller children.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Excellent food quality, great tasting flavored, in a relaxed environment setting. Pasta bar (if you want it) has excellent selection and generous portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service!mgnoixDined on 8/6/2014I always have my birthday dinner here and every year, the service (and food) is fantastic! Sometimes I have guests arriving late or have more people joining me than expected and the service given is always respectful and flexible. Thank you for your wonderful services and always making my birthday special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work Group!JodiDDined on 7/30/2014We always do birthday lunches and really enjoy coming there, food is fantastic, services is great!!Special Features:
- Consistently ImpressedsonyalynnDined on 7/29/2014Trattoria is one of few places that I know will consistently be great! We took some friends here for a special occasion and they were very impressed. The food portions are huge too! We had fun at the pasta bar, making our own creations. Myself, as a lover of Italian food, I am oftentimes left in the dust for gluten free options. They will make anything with rice instead. I was skeptical in the past, but tried it this time and can't wait to go back for more. We love love love this place!Special Features:
- dmetzdmetzDined on 7/26/2014Nice location. Ambiance was nice. We ordered a bottle of wine and the bread came to our table. Very plain white bread with butter in a plastic tub. I ordered the Walleye and my wife the Chicken Parm. Both were overcooked. When I brought this to the server's attention, he apologized, took the Walleye and disappeared. He didn't offer to try again or anything in its place. he returned with the bill and the cost of the Walleye was removed. Not a good experience.
- A favorite placeChriskVIPDined on 7/26/2014This time we came with a group of nine old friends from out of town. We road the Green Line from the Midway area. We were pleasantly greeted and seated immediately. Our waitress was very friendly and took our drink orders. People ordered a variety of pasta dishes as well as the ribeye. Everyone commented on how delicious the entrees tasted and there were not that many leftovers. We sat right below the musician. He was very goog and not so loud that we could not talk. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodWheels260Dined on 7/16/2014I remember when the restaurant was called Café da Vinci - we used to go there for lunch sometimes for the pasta bar! It was yummy! Pasta bar is somewhat the same - the chef behind is quiet though and doesn't seem to engage much with guests. This time I ordered off the menu - walleye. Good size portion - walleye was a little over-cooked. I miss the lasagna that used to be on the menu :( It was by far my favorite in the Twin Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to celebrateSarahDined on 7/11/2014We chose to celebrate a coworkers retirement. It was nice to have good food and good conversation.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!ginabeanMNDined on 7/10/2014Awesome marinara sauce for spaghetti and meatballs. Perfectly coated pasta, cooked al dente served with well -seasoned meatballs that were moist and full of authentic flavor. My husband had a sandwich he proclaimed "delicious". The fried it came with were crispy, battered, copious and quite tasty. Our waitress was attentive and accomodating, friendly and helpful. An overall excellent experience. We will be back. My only disappointment was that they did not read my special request. I said this was my 50th birthday and asked for a special dessert. No mention was even made. I was fine if they could not accomodate my request, but not to even acknowledge my birthday? I was a bit upset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my FavoritesteddyVIPDined on 7/3/2014I eat out a lot. But I never pass up a chance to go to this restaurant. It has been gret to watch it grow over the years. I recommend it to lots of friends. Definitely try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok servicekatz5Dined on 6/28/2014We made our reservation earlier in the day. When we arrived, the restaurant was almost completely empty. The hostess proceeded to seat us at a table right at the front entrance of the restaurant - what I would consider one of the least desirable tables. When we asked to be moved to a table by the window instead, the hostess seemed bothered by our request. It seemed that we had then been deemed "trouble makers" because the waiter wasn't very nice to us either. He wasn't outwardly annoyed like the hostess but just not very personable. The food was good, but honestly if I'm going to pay that much for a meal, I want really good service along with it. I was disappointed by the bread as well, not very flavorful. Not sure we'll dine here again.Special Features:
- Great Dinner before Jazz Festout2eatDined on 6/27/2014One of our favorite places in St. Paul, we reserved our table for Friday evening of the Jazz Festival. Brady, who has waited on us previously, brought us warm bread, Chianti, chopped salad and then the seafood pasta - all delicious! For dessert, we tried the cannolis, which were dipped in chocolate and topped with gelato- totally yum! Our dinner took about an hour, after which we walked out to listen to the Jazz in Mears Park, lead by Bradford Marsalis. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Da Vinci's!!MR12Dined on 6/25/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday with the pasta bar and enjoyed it immensely ~ thank you for the lovely evening & terrific food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic cuisine w/ A-1 serviceDineoutguruDined on 6/24/2014Trattoria Da Vinci provides a delicious Pasts experience with an energetic and attetive wait staff - Thanks Brady! We experienced excellent ambiance on our 25th Wedding Anniversary and finished it off with a chocolate torte and an axcellent cup of coffee!Special Features:
- Enjoyed my mealRosiethugprincessDined on 6/24/2014Food was good, loved our waiter, and felt taken care of by the staff. Had the Bolignase with fresh mozzarella and my wife had ravioli with mushrooms both a great choiceSpecial Features:
- DisappointingbclintonkDined on 6/24/2014We were looking for a quality Italian dining experience in downtown Saint Paul and left disappointed. Seafood dishes were pedestrian, and that may be generous. It's hard to get quality seafood in this part of the country, but Da Vinci fell far short of its competitors. Simple pasta and sauce dishes were OK but nothing special. Many of the dishes tasted as if they had been hastily warmed in the microwave. It's a nice space in a great location. Just needs a competent chef.
- Wonderful Pasta BarkbenaeDined on 6/21/2014We all loved our pasta dishes we ordered. The pasta bar was fabulous. Great service and wonderful food with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Top Meals Ever!Pinecone174Dined on 6/20/2014After 35 years married and travels around the world, we both remember two of our very favorite meals. Now we added a 3rd to our all time best dining experiences, just 2 miles from home! It was my birthday, a Friday night. The décor is lovely - rustic brick walls, high ceilings with hints of Italy and Da Vinci art. The staff is young, professional and efficient, with excellent timing during the meal. At the back of the restaurant a man with an electric acoustic guitar played beautiful jazz and classical tunes - perfect background music which enhanced the ambiance but didn't affect conversation. There is a bar and a cook-on-the-spot pasta bar if you so choose. EVERYTHING on the menu is outstanding! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Perfect DateDerekJoleneDined on 6/14/2014Took my girl friend there. Had an excellent dinner. Will bring her back as my wife. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Excellent pasta barbusinessmealDined on 6/13/2014Excellent food and service the ability to get in and have fresh food over the lunch hour was fantastic. Would recommend to anyone that is looking for a great Italian restaurant to try in Downtown St. Paul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBrianDined on 6/10/2014We had a fantastic time for dinner. Our server was the best, have had him numerous times. One member of our party didn't like their martini and he got her something else right away! Food was fantastic as always, can't go wrong with the pasta experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014We were here 5 years ago for a special occasion and liked it but were not as impressed this time, I had the ragu bolognese and my date had the walleye...we both found our meals to be average or below. Rather disappointing AS THEY HAD BEEN SUGGESTED BY OUR WAITER WHO WAS OTHERWISE VERY GOOD.NOT VERY BUSY FOR A SAT NITE WHICH MAY BE THE REASON WHY.Special Features:
- First time great, second time not10octoberDined on 6/7/2014I brought my fiancée to Trattoria for his birthday. We went here once before, and it was pretty good. This was not close to that visit. We were seated and the waitress showed up 15 minutes later to take our drink orders. She returned to say the beer he ordered was no longer carried. He picked another.Five minutes later, the bartender returned to say his second and third beer selection were also no longer carried. The gnocchi was raw in the middle, and my fiancées spaghetti was sub par. The man that seated us closed out our bill. Based on this visit, we will try one more time, but we are doubtful Trattoria will be able to recover. The best part of our visit was the guitar player - he was outstanding.
- PepinsailorDined on 6/7/2014Shrimp entree was disappointing, too salty. Pasta was good. Portions are sizable. You won't leave hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Where have you been?willie42Dined on 6/7/2014Your food was tremendous! I can't wait to come back. I've always known of another Italian restaurant downtown but I am so glad I found you. From now on you are my only Italian restaurant. Wait staff was attentive and polite. Pasta bar was phenomenal and 2 other menu items we had were also excellent. Portions were awesome. I don't often have leftovers but my whole party went home with some. The guitar player was a very nice touch. Thank you all for such a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic LunchLove2DineDined on 6/6/2014Took my staff to lunch for Professional Assistance Day, all had a great time at a very affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet restaurantannie2244Dined on 6/4/2014We came here for dinner with a group of 8, arriving on a Wednesday night around 7:45. The food was good, very generous portions, wait staff attentive, parking on the street was free (no need to feed the meters in the evening) and easy to find, and best of all, the restaurant wasn't noisy - it was very easy for everyone to hear each other. We will come again.Special Features:
- AlwaysTHEDINERDined on 6/3/2014I've eaten at Trattoria numerous times and have always liked the feel of the place, food is always good and the atmosphere is nice. Only thing missing on this last visit was the live music that adds a very nice touch, even without it though my guest and I had a wonderful time, plus she found a wine that she loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer Service & Food!JoJoDined on 6/3/2014We always enjoy the dining experiences we have at Trattoria Da Vinci! The food is always wonderful and the staff is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfiedKunstlerDined on 5/24/2014Recommended by a friend. Very impressed with the choice. Food and drinks were very good and the waiter was nice. I am also an artist so I liked the DaVinci theme!Special Features:
- TrattoriVirginia9Dined on 5/24/2014It has been a couple years since I have eaten at Trattori Da Vinci, but it is still a good solid restaurant. I had the Gnocchi with Gorgonzola with spicy Italian sausage. Very good and so rich I had to take half home. My better half had Ravioli with shrimp and scallops which was reported to be excellent although I am not a seafood fan. Service was good and Trattoria had a live guitar player for the evening.Special Features:
- Italian foodpeppy80Dined on 5/23/2014Our party of four, ranging in age from 19 to 80, celebrated two birthdays at Trattoria Da Vinci on a Friday evening. Our reservation was for 6 pm and the restaurant was not crowded at that time. We appreciated that the noise level was quite low, the live music was one guitarist who was not overly loud, and we were able to converse easily. The menu is quite extensive and there was also a "build your own" pasta bar. Three of us ordered pastas from the menu and one ordered chicken parmesan. All servings were very large and we were each able to take something home. The pastas, which were quite simple, seemed a bit over-priced. Mine, the seafood pasta, included a good variety of different kinds of seafood, but it could have used more seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 724 reviews are from the Trattoria Da Vinci reviews archive.
- Great place!IlovefoodDined on 5/17/2014I went to davinci's for my prom dinner and it was a wonderful experience! The restaurant is very nice and the we got excellent service!! The food was great I would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.