Trattoria Da Franco
305 South Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Trattoria Da Franco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trattoria-dafranco.com/
- Phone: (703) 548-9338
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Opera Night : 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Holly days: 11:30am - 6:00pm
Weekends: until 1:30am full bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Franco Abbruzzetti, Juan Amador
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Trattoria da Franco has infrastructure for offer catering to all kinds of parties, for offices, wedding parties and any occasion. Different menus are available or can be designed to fit your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The second floor of Trattoria da Franco, which offers 75 seats, has been used to accommodate all kinds of parties or meetings. The space is private whit a piano, backstage, microphones and speakers.
Dinner area 30+
- Private Party Contact: Franco, Daniela, Natasha 703-548-9338x
- Entertainment: We offer WI-FI for your convenience.
There is live piano every Friday and Saturday and sometimes they accompany Franco who sings romantic Italian and American songs. Guest singers always appear.
Opera Night has been entertaining visitors and residents of Old Town Alexandria for more than ten years. Produced by Franco, the show goes on the last Sunday of each month, always with different artists, comprised of sopranos and tenors from the Kennedy Center. The show features opera selections, with humorous patter by Verdi, Leoncavallo, Puccini, Mozart, Bizet and Strauss.
We are a family friendly restaurant - children are welcome.
- Special Events: Opera Night, every last Sunday of every month
- Cross Street: Duke street
- Public Transit: In the same block. Both directions. Washington st. and Duke st.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking in front of the restaurant-quite easy all day. Exception 4.00PM to 6.00PM. Free parking after 5 PM on the rear. use the Duke St to access to the bank parking
A word from Trattoria Da Franco
Trattoria da Franco has been the most successful restaurant in Old Town for the past 27 years. Its owner, Franco Abbruzzetti, the award-winning executive chef, guarantees the excellence, great taste and high quality of any dish in his restaurant. For those who love the special blend of atmosphere, cuisine and Italian wines, Franco provides a total experience. The Pasta that served here, is home made, as well as the Italian bread that compliments every meal. Each dish is served with pasta or vegetables. All vegetables, meat, fish and chicken are fresh and personally selected by Franco. It's the question of honor for this chef de cuisine, who selects market fresh products daily. Wine quality is at the optimum level in Trattoria, an important detail that assessed by Franco as well. Trattoria da Franco is the home of traditional Roman cuisine, as many politicians from Capitol Hill and famous celebrities have discovered. The neighborhood loves this restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Da Franco reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)romantic (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- One of my favorite local spotsviohowVIPDined on 11/1/2014I love this restaurant. This is a special place. I love the ambiance, food, and selection. It is intimate, offers unique entertainment, and is very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014I will start this by saying my boyfriend is a professional chef, has grown up around Italian foods his whole life, owning 3 restaurants. So he is very picky on Italian food. Sadly, not one ounce of our meal were appealing. Zero flavor. My scallops tasted horrible, very fishy. His lasagna was bland with way to much sauce. The wine list was only orders by the bottle, unless you want house wine. So we were forced to agree on a bottle. The restaurant is very small and on a Friday night had a piano player with some sort of karaoke happening. Maybe this restaurant is suited more for the locals who go all the time and know each other. It is never a place i would take friend from out of town. Olive Garden has better Italian food.
- Great little spot in AlexandriaElaineDined on 10/19/2014A friend recommended that we go to the Trattoria da Franco for a quiet dinner since we needed to talk, and have a decent meal too! The Trattoria turned out to be an excellent choice. The food was delicious, the service great (a family-owned business) and it was intimate and quiet. They have around 30-35 tables there, and an upstairs section they use for "Opera Night." They also have other entertainment from time to time. They have house wines as well as a good list of wines for that restaurant size. Highly recommended for a dinner such as we had, as well as for a special occasion or romantic dinner too. It's right on Washington Street near the center of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious authentic Italian foodyummytummyDined on 10/4/2014Best Italian food we have ever eaten. Very attentive wait staff. Prices reasonable for the quality of food served. Wonderful!Special Features:
- good sunday dinnerJohnNPaulDined on 9/28/2014ate here for the first time for dinner one sunday night. had a restaurant.com voucher which was redeemed without a problem. this reservation was found with no problems also. inside the restaurant on the main floor is very tight and untidy. the upstairs was packed for opera night and buffet. we ate outside and it was great! food was delicious. food and drink items were a bit pricy - we were very surprised the bill was $210 for 4 people! not all of us had alcohol or drinks and each person had 1 appetizer and 1 entree. no desert. overall very good - pasta ++++Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Food was great. Atmosphere was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Delicious and entertaininglepoolDined on 9/5/2014We did not know that Friday nights are open mic night. Great entrainment and friendly staff. Our entrees were delicious.Special Features:
- Very pleasantQuietnightDined on 8/26/2014We have a light lunch before a meeting, the ambiance was quiet, the food was delicious, and it was a very pleasant experience overall.Special Features:
- The following 14 reviews are from the Trattoria Da Franco reviews archive.
- Delicious Italian foodMadinerDined on 7/6/2014Great menu and ambiance. The best red sauce I've ever tasted. Service is friendly or helpful, but can be a little infrequent.Special Features:
- Dirty interior and high priceCoopDined on 5/11/2014This restaurant needs a makeover. We went here ten years ago for Opera night and I don't think any maintenance has been done since then. The ceiling tiles are stained and the floor trim looks moldy. Also, I am investigating whether they modified my tip amount as my credit card bill is higher than my receipt. This restaurant could do better.
- Could be better than it isMojoworkinVIPDined on 4/19/2014We like the location, cozy ambiance and late night hours and this used to be a favorite but the last few dinners have been less than pleasant... Food is spotty at best, service is inconsistent (in fact this last time the waitress didn't check on us after our entrée was brought to us to see if we needed more wine. She was at one table yakking it up the entire time).... The quality of the place has slipped. The owner is always sitting at one table with some cronies instead of paying attention to what's going on in the kitchen and to the service of his customers. We will just have to move on.. no need to drive to Alexandria from Bethesda to patronize a place that doesn't seem to value our business.Special Features:
- I'd rather poke myself in the eye!MusselsFreakDined on 3/18/2014Yes, seriously, I'd rather poke myself in the eye than visit this establishment again. It would have been more satisfying to burn a handful of Jacksons in the front yard. The saving grace was the food -- I thought it was quite good. Aside from that there is nothing good to say. The management will swindle you if you are not a hawk, the wait staff is inattentive, the tables are small and cramped, the décor is old and over the top, and the windows are seriously drafty. If I thought the restaurant's management would allow this review to be read by anyone I would have put more time into it, but ....
- Trattoria Franco is a prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Trattoria Franco is a pretty tasty joint but has its drawbacks, the largest being it is overpriced. The food is pretty good, and their outdoor seating is pretty nice when it's warm out. I'd say it is a place you should try once to make your own decision about the value for the price.Special Features:
- This is a good place, butDallasSteveVIPDined on 11/3/2012This is a good place, but fallen on hard times. Family run, it has some loyal followers. It's a place you want to love, but depending on the detials, you may not achieve affection. What it has going for it is heart. It's a great place to go if you know it, and go with others who do. I would not take a business guest I didn't know well; they might wonder why I'd take them to a place that feels a little like a "dive."Special Features:
- A beautiful little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012A beautiful little restaurant with great food. Great place to go and enjoy a quiet night out.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/14/2011I love this place. It's tiny. It's not fancy. The clientele is local and maybe a little older, but there is a charm you can't find anywhere else in Old Town. I just feel special and romantic while I'm there. The food is pretty good but that's not why I go. I go so I can pretend I'm sitting in a small restaurant in Rome where the staff seems a like family and it's cozy.Special Features:
- Very small, reminded me ofRunningMom1111Dined on 6/6/2011Very small, reminded me of many places in Germany but with an elevated menu. Excellent management & service.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2011Always dependable, good food in a cozy, very welcoming neighborhood restaurant. Franco almost always greets you as you enter his place. We especially like to dine here in the winter......very cozy and warm.Special Features:
- Nto all it is cracked up to beOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2010Over hyped. Looks quaint on the outside but is basically a run down house in the inside. Food took a very long time. Food was oily and waiters were doing homework rather than seeing if we needed anything. Went for anniversary. Wife was very understanding.
- A pleasant restaurant althoughLauraVIPDined on 5/23/2010A pleasant restaurant although I would not go out of my way to dine there. We went because it was convenient.
- This would be a five starPeteDined on 5/15/2010This would be a five star restaurant except that the tables are too close. I felt like I was in a conversation with my wife and the couple at the table next to us. If you go, ask to speak with Franco- he is a wonderful gentlemen.Special Features:
- Cozy (i.e., tight) restaurant...butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2010Cozy (i.e., tight) restaurant...but well worth the loss of privacy.Special Features: