1788 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corsoberkeley.com/
- Phone: 5107048004x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Eastman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Cross Street: Delaware
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart is a 5 minute walk.
AC Transit bus service travels the length of Shattuck Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking on Shattuck Ave. Unmetered 2 hour parking available on side streets - Delaware and Francisco.
A word from Trattoria Corso
Corso is the sister restaurant of Rivoli Restaurant, which Chef/Owner Wendy Brucker & GM/Owner Roscoe Skipper opened in 1994. Corso is a casual trattoria featuring the simple, rustic food of Florence, with a full bar & an all-Italian wine list. We serve dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Corso - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Trattoria Corso reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (165)neighborhood gem (155)special occasion (97)romantic (59)notable wine list (59)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (17)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014I come here several times a year and our last visit was just as exceptional as every other visit. Sample the housemade charcuterie, melt in your mouth delicious. Pasta entrees were outstanding, as was the Farmers' sausage. Topped off with the panna cotta and the flourless chocolate cake for a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Corso ReduxBioSciCharlieDined on 9/27/2014Dark and intimate sans television, noisy and vibrant; the food is generally excellent mirroring a tiny complex kitchen that bubbles with activity. Risotto very good, sausage tasty and unusual; green salad excellent, spinach to perfection and same on salad. The skate might need to.Special Features:
- Consistently satisfyinglawmanDined on 9/25/2014DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRITE A REVIEW. BEEN TO CORSO MANY TIMES. ALMOST NEVER DISAPPOINTED, THOUGH THE SEATING IS RATHER CROWDED.Special Features:
- Hot and Noisy!SHBEVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had been at Corso before, in the winter, when it is nice to tuck into a cozy restaurant and eat good food. This time, in late summer, the restaurant was uncomfortably hot (for all four of us), and extremely noisy, where we had to really strain to hear each other. Such a shame that the good food and the friendly service, two positives in this restaurant, have to compete with a truly uncomfortable environment. In the end, we did not find the experience enjoyable and tried to eat as fast as we could so we could get OUT! We will not return.
- visiting Cal parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We have had dinner at Corso twice and have really enjoyed it both times. The only drawback is the noise level. We took my 84 year old father there on a Sunday night hoping it wouldn't be too loud but unfortunately he had a really hard time hearing the conversation.Special Features:
- A Gourmand's DelightCMB2BDined on 9/20/2014We had heard about Corso as a superb place to dine and were looking forward to eating there. We met some friends for dinner and were quite pleased with the interesting variety of menu options. The service was excellent. The food lived up to its reputation and beyond. Everything from appetizers to main course to dessert was delicious. We will definitely return there again in the near future.Special Features:
- delicious authentic ItaliandeepvintageVIPDined on 9/19/2014with great service & food that is sometimes beyond expectation & always delicious. my only objection is that if Corso can't find your reservation they sometimes get their back up & act like you're a guilty nuisance until you're proven innocent. this happened when it was the fault of the computer & later they explained & apologized. Based on the welcome we got the first time we came in, we probably wouldn't have come back except the atmosphere was so inviting. Always made a reservation in advance and DON'T be put off if you happen to wander in without one or there's a screw-up and it gets a little chilly. The warmth is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise!deliciousDined on 9/19/2014Our first time, we were looking for something new and a little special as it was our anniversary. Charlie greeted us, heard it was our anniversary, made the night very special. Food was especially good, loved the home made aspects of the menu. A pleasant surprise, can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really terrific Italian CuizineBayHolzDined on 9/18/2014An Italian Bistro that has remarkable food, exceeding the quality of most such bistros in Italy, and at a lower price. Great and unusual main diskes, great side dishes, great service, and a wonderful wine list -- ranging from delicious house wines to rare imports from small Italian producers. It is within walking distance of the Berkeley theater and music venuesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Italian/CA foodComelonDined on 9/18/2014A slight California twist on Italian food, beautifully prepared and with tasty results. Very good value for the money.Special Features:
- Highly over ratedBettyDined on 9/17/2014The food was over cooked, over sauced and overpriced for the quality! Much more French than Italian in style.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerDerekwhDined on 9/15/2014We had a wonderful experience at Corso Monday night. Everything was excellent, timely service, terrific food and a great wine list. We started with the salumi board followed by a couple of shared pastas, for the mains we had the chicken breast in butter and the pork loin. While both were delicious, the chicken blew me away. For dessert we shared the Offogato and the Amarena Cherry Sundae, both were fantastic. We will make a point of returning.Special Features:
- best dining in BerkeleymiakodaDined on 9/14/2014Corso is simply divine. the Food is amazing. They have sounds absorbers on the wall so you can actually have a conversation. Our entree was taking a while to come out, and our waiter noticed before we did, bringing us a plate of warm olives and apologizing for the delay. you don't find service like that anymore. My mother has owned multiple 4 and 5 star restaurants in NYC, so I hold very high standards for fine dining. Corso is simply one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014+ Was very happy with food, service-----my only complaint (and I knew ahead of time this would be a problem)---it's very, very noisy even for people who do not have a hearing problem. However, I made reservations at opening time, (less noisy) and was given as quiet a corner as possible----you were most accommodating! Had a wonderful time as did my friends who were leaving to go back to Vienna where they live. Everything was wonderful! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongYCymroVIPDined on 9/12/2014Corso has a revised menu although many old favorites remain. We appreciate that tripe is always on the menu and recently it was there as a cold salad and excellent. Other dishes achieve a high level of quality and the panna cotta is particularly outstanding. We'll keep on going back for the quality of the food and the reasonable pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good but too salty dishgoodwineDined on 9/10/2014Just like a restaurant I went to some months ago, the spinach side was way too salty to be enjoyable and we were comped a dessert. Rest if meal fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinersOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/8/2014We tried Trattoria Corsso because it was on Michael Bauer's top 100 Restaurants. It was our Anniversary and as soon as we were shown to our table, they said "Happy Anniversary"..a sweet touch. We shared a lot of the dishes and really glad as we could try more things. The waitress suggested 2 different wines and brought tastes of each. We weren't thrilled with either and she suggested a third, bingo! The main attraction was the Roast Chicken in Butter..soo yummy we even dipped the baked Polenta in it. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful food and eveningGustavVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was superb - everything that she recommended was perfect! The host and hostess moved our table X2 because of the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best branzino!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/4/2014I love branzino, a fish that is very common in Italy and Croacia. At Trattoria Corso they cook it as good and it taste as good at it does in Italy and Croacia!!!! I love it!!!!Special Features:
- Consistent and CreativecritiqueVIPDined on 9/3/2014Corso really feels like a trip to Italy, with the same kind of earthy, creative dishes you might find there -- the liver crostini, the tuna bolognese. Service is always friendly and expert as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding In Every Way!bethmarlinDined on 9/3/2014My family came to Corso, from San Francisco, for a birthday dinner and were delightfully surprised. We shared EVERYTHING, loved the home made pasta dishes, the chicken breast cooked in butter, absolutely everything was fantastic, as was our server! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian FoodStevAVIPDined on 9/3/2014Very much enjoyed the meal and service. Very well doneSpecial Features:
- Great place!dandelDined on 9/3/2014I suppose its not "hip and trendy," why I am not sure. No gimmicks? But its great food and drinks. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- DrJackVIPDined on 9/2/2014This restaurant is consistently rated in the top 100 by the Chronicle, but in two visits a year apart, we must have hit them on an off night. The chopped liver on toast was OK, the orchietta was thick, underdone, and tasteed like glue, and the sausage with lentils was too strong for our taste. The outstanding Budino for dessert raised the average score, but not enough that we would recommend it By the way, we love the apace and feeling in the room, and our waiter was very good.Special Features:
- RushedcrocodileDined on 9/1/2014The food was very good. However, my husband and I had the feeling that we were rushed through the meal; the courses arrived very quickly one after the other, and we had only just finished our dessert when we were brought the check (without having asked for it). I do not consider this a pleasant dining experience.
- Great dinnerpickypattyDined on 9/1/2014We had a great dinner at Corso. Best fritto misto ever, chicken liver pate is out of this world. The pastas were perfect and we had a wonderful server. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitkatDined on 8/31/2014We've been to this place a few times before and we've always loved the food. The first time we sat at the counter and watched food preparation, which was lots of fun. The next few times we were in the middle of the room and it was very noisy and cramped feeling. This time we were in a quiet corner by the window, which was lovely! It was cozy and we could hear each other, and the service was attentive but never cloying. We had a perfectly delicious sole, wonderful frito misto veggies, and the famous panne cotta. Our favorite experience so far!Special Features:
- Perfect dining!SunnySandyVIPDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our dinner experience very much. We were greeted in a very friendly manor. Our table was ready for us. The waiter was prompt and answered all questions for us. The meal was served without much wait and was hot as prefer it. The food was prepared perfectly and was delicious. Definitely will return! The one thing that our friends and my husband wishes is that the kitchen or waiter would bone the fish.Special Features:
- We will be back!KatorindaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great service, great cocktails, and overall very good meal. The smoked sausages with lentils were amazing. Ambience and noise level were just right.Special Features:
- Loud and disinterestedCollegekiddinerDined on 8/30/2014Looking forward to this restaurant and when asked to move to a corner table we got a glare from the maître de. The polenta was fabulous but the penne pasta was average at best. The anchovy appetizer was made up of two anchovies and the bruschetta had too much olive oil on it. Hardwood floors accentuate the loud sound. Service was average, perhaps due to the crowd.Special Features:
- Reliably fabulous!Local30VIPDined on 8/29/2014We love coming here and look forward to enjoying a dinner here at the end of a long week. It has a neighborhood vibe with reliably fabulous food.Special Features:
- Highs and lowsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014The hyped chicken breast dish was overlooked to the point it was tacky to chew. However, the bucatini pasta was fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to revisitnadia1mDined on 8/29/2014I had not been to Corso in a few years but my friend wanted to go because it had recently been reviewed by Michael Bauer. I hadn't been back because there are so many great places to eat in the Bay Area but Corso is a place I hope to return to frequently. Everything was wonderful :)Special Features:
- A gemLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/29/2014We must have driven past this restaurant at least 100 times. Luckily we decided to give it a try. The food was wonderful and the service was warm. Great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerprofessorDined on 8/28/2014One of the best restaurants in all of East Bay. Food never disappoints. A must-goSpecial Features:
- Special PlacePharmboyDined on 8/23/2014Can't really say anything negative about this wonderful gem. From appetizers to main dish to desserts I haven't had anything that I haven't truly found spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rightDrSookDined on 8/23/2014Sitting at the bar, sampling wines & expert mixed drinks from the Italian tradition- almost every dish is delicious - from Branzini to steak, pastas are sublime.. Not cheap, but so worth it to never be disappointed ! Even desserts provide essential dark chocolate notes.Special Features:
- Pork Chop4mft99VIPDined on 8/22/2014A nice late evening find in Berkeley. Would absolutely come back for the Pork Chop with great flavor and texture without being overcooked as it is most of the time elsewhere. Dinner for 3 was perfectly met with a rich Tagliatelle in the meat sauce, Pork Chop, Polenta appetizer, and 2 other sides. The table service was attentive and personable and made up for the rather abrupt and opinionated waiter, who assumed my tween son hadn't ordered off a menu before or knew what he would enjoy eating. Looking forward to trying other items soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014The style of Italian served reminded us of dinner in Florence. Staff was enthusiastic, the food was served at the proper temperature and the presentation was well done. We were very pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Great Italian in BerkeleymoreofeverythingpleaseDined on 8/22/2014Can't go wrong on the menu here, everything they turn out is tasty. If they have Osso Buco on your night, get it. Whenever they have something strange (to me) on the menu, like tripe salad with mint, I go for it and it's always delicious. Their sides are excellent too, especially the polenta. Bummed that I haven't seen tomato bread soup on the menu lately. Been here five times or so and will happily continue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.