1788 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corsoberkeley.com/
- Phone: 5107048004x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Eastman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Cross Street: Delaware
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart is a 5 minute walk.
AC Transit bus service travels the length of Shattuck Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking on Shattuck Ave. Unmetered 2 hour parking available on side streets - Delaware and Francisco.
A word from Trattoria Corso
Corso is the sister restaurant of Rivoli Restaurant, which Chef/Owner Wendy Brucker & GM/Owner Roscoe Skipper opened in 1994. Corso is a casual trattoria featuring the simple, rustic food of Florence, with a full bar & an all-Italian wine list. We serve dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Corso - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Trattoria Corso reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (174)neighborhood gem (167)special occasion (97)notable wine list (65)romantic (60)hot spot (32)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (19)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- overall an excellent place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014despite the fire alarm, we had an outstanding dinner and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Berkeley BistromomoDined on 10/27/2014Gnocchi was very good, Branzino outstanding. Desserts refreshing.Special Features:
- Three people shouting over foodFoodandambianceDined on 10/24/2014We reserved a table based on Opentable reviews. The food was very good -- imaginative ingredients in our first courses, including a salad with fresh figs and prosciutto. Wonderful pastas -- we recommend the pappardelle, which are as delicate as can be. We loved our desserts -- panna cota, a fabulous chocolate/cherry sundae, and gelato with espresso. All of those things were very fine, but ruined by the noise. The first table were seated at (a reservation, mind you) was next to the walkway and the open kitchen. The clacking and clanging hurt our ears, and the hostess was reluctant to seat us elsewhere until the manager gave us a table 4 tables away from the kitchen. We still had to shout to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014The food was excellent, perfectly prepared. I particularly liked the whole sea bass and the side dish of polenta that we ordered. Salads were fresh, crisp and with just the right amount of dressing. The pasta was obviously freshly made, light and tender. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable and the staff was quite accommodating to our one year old's needs. We ate at a lot of good restaurants while we were in Berkeley and the Bay Area. This was definitely the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! What a findLolaDined on 10/20/2014Corso.... what a fabulous experience! The food and service were truly outstanding, and lived up to all the great things I've heard. I've been there once and it's already on my favorite restaurant list.Special Features:
- So good, I had to go again!NevertoooldDined on 10/20/2014O.K., so I'm a foodie - which means that I really appreciate good food and a really nice list of wine by the glass (I am a solo diner). I appreciate the ability to order a half glass of wine, so as to drink a couple of different ones during the evening. The braised chicken with brussel sprouts and a wonderful sauce found me mopping up every bite of sauce with my bread! And DON'T miss the ice cream sundae - a little different from that served at Coro's big sister restaurant, Rivoli, in that it has candied cherries from Italy (not those boring maraschino ones). Like me, you might find that you have to go twice in one week!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014Absolutely the only thing wrong with Trattoria Corso is that there are way more wonderful things on the menu than two people can possibly order! Go with at least four people!Special Features:
- Oh... that chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Stop in to Corso, order the butter-poached chicken, then you'll know.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerLisaGVIPDined on 10/14/2014Trattoria Corso was warm and welcoming for our party of 4. The food was magnificent. Our server could not have been more attentive and really got into the spirit of the evening. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Best polenta and panna cottaValStone50VIPDined on 10/13/2014Their polenta has mascarpone cheese and is so silky smooth and rich, it just glides over your tongue. The panic coater is the most delicate and light dessert I have ever tasted--flecked with vanilla beans, I ask them to hold the fruit compote, as it overpowers the sweet and simple Panna Cotta, which is so delicious on its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Corso!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Every time we come here we have a fantastic meal. Great for celebrations and romantic dinners, though the noise level gives it a more active/interactive feel. We love Corso!Special Features:
- NOISE!!!!!!!!lov2eatVIPDined on 10/5/2014Wait staff was very attentive. Got there early, before the crowd. I ordered the ricotta and leek tart. It was not at all what I expected and was not happy with the dish after the first bite. The staff was very happy to have me order something else. Five Stars for that. I ordered their mixed lettuce salad and I was not disappointed. For my main dish I had the Butter-Roasted Chicken Breast. Cooked perfectly with crispy crispy skin. My one big problem. Once the tables were full the noise was unbearable. I have been in noisy places all too often but this was by far the most distressful. It will be hard to go back because of it. Sorry.Special Features:
- Special place to dineIgnatz49Dined on 10/4/2014The food was terrific. Try the risotto with smoked oysters! But don't miss the fennel au gratin either. We didn't get to the dessert menu, as we were too full. The waiter was very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnevencritiqueVIPDined on 10/3/2014We generally consider Corso a solid choice but sometimes it disappoints. This time was one of those uneven meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceTheJMayVIPDined on 10/3/2014I went to Corso with my brother to celebrate, and we had a lovely time. The chicken liver crostini, pappardelle and duck were all fantastic, and our waiter recommended excellent wine to go with our entrees. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/30/2014But time for some more diverse menu selections--made with olive oil not butter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014I come here several times a year and our last visit was just as exceptional as every other visit. Sample the housemade charcuterie, melt in your mouth delicious. Pasta entrees were outstanding, as was the Farmers' sausage. Topped off with the panna cotta and the flourless chocolate cake for a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Corso ReduxBioSciCharlieDined on 9/27/2014Dark and intimate sans television, noisy and vibrant; the food is generally excellent mirroring a tiny complex kitchen that bubbles with activity. Risotto very good, sausage tasty and unusual; green salad excellent, spinach to perfection and same on salad. The skate might need to.Special Features:
- Consistently satisfyinglawmanDined on 9/25/2014DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRITE A REVIEW. BEEN TO CORSO MANY TIMES. ALMOST NEVER DISAPPOINTED, THOUGH THE SEATING IS RATHER CROWDED.Special Features:
- Hot and Noisy!SHBEVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had been at Corso before, in the winter, when it is nice to tuck into a cozy restaurant and eat good food. This time, in late summer, the restaurant was uncomfortably hot (for all four of us), and extremely noisy, where we had to really strain to hear each other. Such a shame that the good food and the friendly service, two positives in this restaurant, have to compete with a truly uncomfortable environment. In the end, we did not find the experience enjoyable and tried to eat as fast as we could so we could get OUT! We will not return.
- visiting Cal parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We have had dinner at Corso twice and have really enjoyed it both times. The only drawback is the noise level. We took my 84 year old father there on a Sunday night hoping it wouldn't be too loud but unfortunately he had a really hard time hearing the conversation.Special Features:
- A Gourmand's DelightCMB2BDined on 9/20/2014We had heard about Corso as a superb place to dine and were looking forward to eating there. We met some friends for dinner and were quite pleased with the interesting variety of menu options. The service was excellent. The food lived up to its reputation and beyond. Everything from appetizers to main course to dessert was delicious. We will definitely return there again in the near future.Special Features:
- delicious authentic ItaliandeepvintageVIPDined on 9/19/2014with great service & food that is sometimes beyond expectation & always delicious. my only objection is that if Corso can't find your reservation they sometimes get their back up & act like you're a guilty nuisance until you're proven innocent. this happened when it was the fault of the computer & later they explained & apologized. Based on the welcome we got the first time we came in, we probably wouldn't have come back except the atmosphere was so inviting. Always made a reservation in advance and DON'T be put off if you happen to wander in without one or there's a screw-up and it gets a little chilly. The warmth is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise!deliciousDined on 9/19/2014Our first time, we were looking for something new and a little special as it was our anniversary. Charlie greeted us, heard it was our anniversary, made the night very special. Food was especially good, loved the home made aspects of the menu. A pleasant surprise, can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really terrific Italian CuizineBayHolzDined on 9/18/2014An Italian Bistro that has remarkable food, exceeding the quality of most such bistros in Italy, and at a lower price. Great and unusual main diskes, great side dishes, great service, and a wonderful wine list -- ranging from delicious house wines to rare imports from small Italian producers. It is within walking distance of the Berkeley theater and music venuesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Italian/CA foodComelonDined on 9/18/2014A slight California twist on Italian food, beautifully prepared and with tasty results. Very good value for the money.Special Features:
- Highly over ratedBettyDined on 9/17/2014The food was over cooked, over sauced and overpriced for the quality! Much more French than Italian in style.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerDerekwhDined on 9/15/2014We had a wonderful experience at Corso Monday night. Everything was excellent, timely service, terrific food and a great wine list. We started with the salumi board followed by a couple of shared pastas, for the mains we had the chicken breast in butter and the pork loin. While both were delicious, the chicken blew me away. For dessert we shared the Offogato and the Amarena Cherry Sundae, both were fantastic. We will make a point of returning.Special Features:
- best dining in BerkeleymiakodaDined on 9/14/2014Corso is simply divine. the Food is amazing. They have sounds absorbers on the wall so you can actually have a conversation. Our entree was taking a while to come out, and our waiter noticed before we did, bringing us a plate of warm olives and apologizing for the delay. you don't find service like that anymore. My mother has owned multiple 4 and 5 star restaurants in NYC, so I hold very high standards for fine dining. Corso is simply one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014+ Was very happy with food, service-----my only complaint (and I knew ahead of time this would be a problem)---it's very, very noisy even for people who do not have a hearing problem. However, I made reservations at opening time, (less noisy) and was given as quiet a corner as possible----you were most accommodating! Had a wonderful time as did my friends who were leaving to go back to Vienna where they live. Everything was wonderful! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongYCymroVIPDined on 9/12/2014Corso has a revised menu although many old favorites remain. We appreciate that tripe is always on the menu and recently it was there as a cold salad and excellent. Other dishes achieve a high level of quality and the panna cotta is particularly outstanding. We'll keep on going back for the quality of the food and the reasonable pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good but too salty dishgoodwineDined on 9/10/2014Just like a restaurant I went to some months ago, the spinach side was way too salty to be enjoyable and we were comped a dessert. Rest if meal fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinersjoyceeowenVIPDined on 9/8/2014We tried Trattoria Corsso because it was on Michael Bauer's top 100 Restaurants. It was our Anniversary and as soon as we were shown to our table, they said "Happy Anniversary"..a sweet touch. We shared a lot of the dishes and really glad as we could try more things. The waitress suggested 2 different wines and brought tastes of each. We weren't thrilled with either and she suggested a third, bingo! The main attraction was the Roast Chicken in Butter..soo yummy we even dipped the baked Polenta in it. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful food and eveningGustavVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was superb - everything that she recommended was perfect! The host and hostess moved our table X2 because of the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best branzino!barolinaVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love branzino, a fish that is very common in Italy and Croacia. At Trattoria Corso they cook it as good and it taste as good at it does in Italy and Croacia!!!! I love it!!!!Special Features:
- Consistent and CreativecritiqueVIPDined on 9/3/2014Corso really feels like a trip to Italy, with the same kind of earthy, creative dishes you might find there -- the liver crostini, the tuna bolognese. Service is always friendly and expert as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding In Every Way!bethmarlinDined on 9/3/2014My family came to Corso, from San Francisco, for a birthday dinner and were delightfully surprised. We shared EVERYTHING, loved the home made pasta dishes, the chicken breast cooked in butter, absolutely everything was fantastic, as was our server! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian FoodStevAVIPDined on 9/3/2014Very much enjoyed the meal and service. Very well doneSpecial Features:
- Great place!dandelDined on 9/3/2014I suppose its not "hip and trendy," why I am not sure. No gimmicks? But its great food and drinks. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- DrJackVIPDined on 9/2/2014This restaurant is consistently rated in the top 100 by the Chronicle, but in two visits a year apart, we must have hit them on an off night. The chopped liver on toast was OK, the orchietta was thick, underdone, and tasteed like glue, and the sausage with lentils was too strong for our taste. The outstanding Budino for dessert raised the average score, but not enough that we would recommend it By the way, we love the apace and feeling in the room, and our waiter was very good.Special Features: