1800 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriacontadina.com/
- Phone: (415) 982-5728
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Juan Paulo Enriquez & Juan Martinez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small upstairs dining room that seats up to 30 guests available Monday to Thursday.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Correnti 4159825728x
A word from Trattoria Contadina
Trattoria Contadina is a lively and spirited traditional San Francisco Italian restaurant serving an eclectic mix of pastas, creative grilled meats, poultry, and seafood. Trattoria Contadina’s vibrant cuisine mirrors perfectly the passions, style and gusto that mark the Italian way of life.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Contadina reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (125)fit for foodies (73)romantic (48)special occasion (48)good for groups (29)notable wine list (28)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014As always EXCELLENT! Love this place! But one suggestion, open the bar at least a half hour before you start serving food. We were forced into a 5pm reservation and got there at 4:35, we were sent a way until 4:50. They would have sold more wine gad they let us in. But again, love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Homemade ItalianRoccosFriendDined on 11/16/2014We had a wonderful experience at Trattoria Contadina. A quite neighborhood location, with an intimate and friendly atmosphere. The Caprese salad was cool, fresh and tasty. The homemade pasta and sauces were simply fantastic. The gourmet Chicken Parmesan was big enough for two and out of this world. Service was excellent, and the price quite reasonable, especially considering the quality. We will return every time we visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014Trattoria Contadina is always good. The food is outstanding. The staff is welcoming. And the atmosphere on the cable car line is pleasant but not fussy. All in all a comfortable place that makes you feel like you're eating with their family.Special Features:
- YummyMpeacockVIPDined on 11/9/2014Great little Italian gem, amazing pasta! The buratta with persimmon and bacon was sublime. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JOEONDined on 11/8/2014Always a true Italina Classic!! We always love the food.Special Features:
- Neighborhood ItalianExploringSFDined on 11/7/2014Great Spot. Location and atmosphere are great. We had a table facing mason and it was awesome watching the cable cars go by. Food was excellent. Favorites were the Burrata ( special antipasta), beef ravioli, Carlesimo, and Saltimbocca. Great neighborhood restaurant if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Columbus.Special Features:
- Solid ItalianfoodieDined on 10/31/2014Authentic selections and execution. Charming atmosphere. Unpretentious. Local favorite.Special Features:
- seafood special risotto was offFoggyEthanVIPDined on 10/31/2014What we had was fine, but not special, except for the seafood risotto special. It was a failed experiment
- Average italianAdequateVIPDined on 10/30/2014Average Italian food with a very brief menu in an amazingly cramped space. Did I mention the poor wine list?
- Still great after many years!SunnyDined on 10/27/2014Been many years since we were last at Trattoria Contadina and it is still an excellent restaurant. Service was good. Ambience romantic but not phony. Food unbelievably delicious. They even remembered that my husband was celebrating a birthday and brought over a very yummy tiramisu for us to share. We even got to take the cable car there and back as it stops directly in front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cecil TaylorCecilTDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I found this gem about five six years ago and it's our fall back to a romantic evening. We fell in love with this place and have recommended it to family and friends. I would have to say you must try the pesto pasta, unbelievable. I hope if your in north beach and filling for a little dinner, it's a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family owned ItalianFranneDined on 10/25/2014The care this family puts into it's restaurant is obvious in it's food. Delicious is not descriptive enough. Ravioli with pesto like I've never tasted before. Great caring service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingBozoDined on 10/24/2014I was looking for a really good meal in a small romantic setting. This is a nice small neighborhood restaurant with local character, but the food was nothing outstanding. I would look elsewhere next time.
- Consistently goodMariaRDHVIPDined on 10/23/2014Trattoria Contadina is a North Beach gem that has been at Union and Mason for years. It is family owned and has been in the Correnti’s family for 3 decades. The food is simple, yet excellent. The meatballs are always a good choice. There were 6 of us and we all enjoyed our food. My ricotta gnocchi were light and delicious. I suggest you give it a try!!Special Features:
- TShroyer2Dined on 10/22/2014We had a group of 6 that had a great time at the restaurant. Although some of us were a bit early, the staff accommodated us and provided drinks prior to the rest of our group arriving. We had a difficult time deciding what to order because everything sounded and smelled so delicious! Wonderful service, food, and environment. Will definitely recommend to others that visit the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening.joewDined on 10/21/2014Everything was excellent. The staff were very attentive and a overall experience that is hard to beat.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!jonapVIPDined on 10/20/2014After reading some reviews on the many Italian restaurants in the North Beach area of San Francisco, we opted to go to Trattoria Contandina since it was tucked away in the corner of Mason and Union Streets away from the madness in Columbus Ave. It did not disappoint us. It was the best Carpaccio, Pasta and Veal Saltimbocca I ever had in a long, long time. The service was excellent and the wine selection was varied with reasonable pricing. Definitively we recommend this place and dying to come backSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!!!LuvfoodDined on 10/18/2014This was our fourth time to visit Trattoria Contadina and we will be coming back soon!! Excellent food and service, and their olive oil for bread dipping was the best I ever had. They brought us an excellent gelato for dessert to celebrate my sisters birthday and there wasn't a drop left of it. This restaurant is continually consistent of an excellent meal, service and a warm and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againSFDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014This is the second time in a row we were underwhelmed, with our visits about 6 months apart. TC used to be one of our "short list" favorites, as we are in the neighborhood, and have always felt taken care of, like neighbors! Sadly, not anymore. Really, the whole vibe has changed, across the board. I never see Dirk anymore either; perhaps the Correnti's have sold? Dunno, but we won't be back...
- Not worth itPelleDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant was overheated. Everybody was sweating. We took the spagetti volgole and spagetti frutti de mare. Not great not even good. Overcooked and probably not really fresh vongole. If you want good italian food, go to Scomas in sausalito. (I know italian food as I work in italy). We will not come back to this restaurant.
- Awesome FindBryanVIPDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful neighborhood restaurant in North Beach. Several family members work there and make guests feel very comfortable. Meatballs and sauce to die for. Amazing brunch egg dishes. Great neighborhood place. Walk or take public transportation to avoid parking nightmare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHappyfoodDined on 10/9/2014We were here a few years ago and enjoyed it so much that we returned. Unfortunately 3 of us who had the pasta special agreed it had an unusual taste (not bad but none of us ate much) We had to remind the waiter for several items and never felt like he was paying attention to basics. For example we finally caught his eye to bring Parmesan half way through the meal. We enjoyed the small,intimate space. It is noisy but this is part of the fun.
- Exceeded our guests' expectationsawcfpDined on 10/6/2014We've come to expect excellent food here, but our guests said they each had the best pasta meal ever.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014We love this restaurant and the food and service is always amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodlilRoydieDined on 10/1/2014dinner was good, typical taste, just a good meal. service was a little slow, they where polite. no real complaints I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not cheapdrdbugmannDined on 9/29/2014has become pricey, especially wine by the glass. Great pasta dishes
- Saturday night foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014crowded, noisy, expensive wine list, BUT, great food (meatball appetizer, Carlesimo), service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the best!ST247VIPDined on 9/27/2014Everytime I go, I vow not to get pasta and everytime I cave. (Down to the simple cheese raviolis. Why are they so good I want 2 servings? Why?!) My favorite Italian in the city. From the warm welcome when you arrive, to the wait staff and chefs in the kitchen, there's nothing but a positive vibe and great dining experience. Don't miss the peppers appetizer. DELISH!!Special Features:
- JABnGAJABnGADined on 9/27/2014We made a reservation before the early show of Beach Blanket Babylon. We told our server we only had one hour and we had no problem enjoying our meal and meeting our time restricitions. We asked to substitute the red snapper picatta for chicken and they were happy to acommodate. It was delicious and I would definetly eat here again!Special Features:
- Ok...nothing amazingAmyb88Dined on 9/21/2014Went for dinner before a concert, food was good, nothing to write home about but tasty. My husbands Saltimoboca was pretty overcooked. Service...eh, just ok.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014We have eaten dinner here many times but this was the first time for brunch. The lemon ricotta pancakes were outstanding. Loads of fresh fruit. The breakfast risotto was amazing with two sunny eggs on top. The restaurant is small, friendly and fun. The food is always great and the service wonderful. On the corner of Union and Mason with the cable car going by. Lovely San Francisco gem.Special Features:
- Add this spot to your San Fran listOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Absolutely fabulous. Good was delicious! We had appetizers, pasta and dessert-- it was delicious-- fresh and authentic. Service was impeccable. Restaurant is small-- and we had a loud great next to us- but the ambiance was great. A must eat on your San Fran listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Italian CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great food and ambiance. A neighborhood gem in the heart of San Fransisco.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemIowagirlDined on 9/17/2014The food was excellent - not heavy, well sauced and spiced, wine recommendations were on target for our requests, water glasses kept filled, attentive and knoweldgeable waitress, and the cost was what you would expect from a neighborhood spot in North Beach. I'll go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't disappoint!CMD423Dined on 9/14/2014We visited Trattoria Contadina on a friend's recommendation and are glad we did. It's a small "homey" place with a friendly and conscientious staff and the food is AMAZING! The pastas are homemade and the dishes made with fresh, local ingredients. Everything was delicious! We will definitely be back the next time we visit San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014burata was excellent but the special of spaghetti with shrimp and scallops was very fishy tasting. not good.(I am a fisherman from new england so we have experience) also, spaghetti vongole, not a good sauce , too bitter.
- AveragesabrosoDined on 9/14/2014Fairly disappointed with our meal on Sunday night. Salads we had were ok, nothing special. I had Snapper and it was tough and a bit fishy. My spinach was good. My friend had chicken Ravioli. The filling was tasted under cooked and the pasta was mushy and falling apart, leaving the runny filling on the plate. I love coming to this small, quaint restaurant but not sure I will again. Hopefully the chef was just having an off night.Special Features:
- FantasticMonsieurDined on 9/13/2014The food was very good, and the drinks were perfect. The best part was the service. We sat upstairs on Saturday night in the corner table and the server and server assistant were more than complimentary. They weren't pushy or all over us. Having worked in the industry for a number of years myself it is refreshing to see great service without seeing robotic iterations of corporate conformity. Anyway we love this place and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManhattanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Best Manhattan Ive ever had, hands down. The bartender made his own concoction with 7+ ingredients and it was to die for. Food was great, service was great, all around great.Special Features:
- Homestyle Italian, Great AmbianceIBeMattCDined on 9/4/2014My family loves going to this place for birthdays and other occasions. The menu is pretty great: saltimbocca, pesto, really good bread. The prices are reasonable for the food and the wine. The servings are good, but not huge. The walls are covered with photos of old-time San Francisco places and people. It's a good, old-fashioned Italian place. The drawbacks: parking can be a beast, the tables are pretty close together, and the upstairs area can get really, really warm, although the last time we went they had the windows open and it was actually pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.