1800 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriacontadina.com/
- Phone: 4159825728
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Weekend Brunch: 10:00am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Juan Paulo Enriquez & Juan Martinez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small upstairs dining room that seats up to 30 guests available Monday to Thursday.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Correnti 4159825728
A word from Trattoria Contadina
Trattoria Contadina is a lively and spirited traditional San Francisco Italian restaurant serving an eclectic mix of pastas, creative grilled meats, poultry, and seafood. Trattoria Contadina’s vibrant cuisine mirrors perfectly the passions, style and gusto that mark the Italian way of life.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria Contadina reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)romantic (63)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (57)notable wine list (41)good for groups (23)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (15)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (11)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Extraordinary food! Ordinary service. Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Extraordinary food! Ordinary service.Special Features:
- Great spot for classic ItaliandaveDined on 8/22/2014WE had a great meal. Awesome, friendly service. Good bar. Good wines. But, the food was the high point. The roasted pepper appetizer was great. All the pasta and second plates we had were wonderful.Special Features:
- Classic North Beach!MattVIPDined on 8/18/2014Classic Italian restaurant where we love to take out-of-town visitors. Quintessential San Francisco, with the cable car rolling by outside the window. Service and food are always top notch.Special Features:
- Love this PlaceLove2dineDined on 8/12/2014We dine here every year for our Anniversary..My favorite spot in SanFranciscoSpecial Features:
- Still exceeding expectationsAJATDined on 8/10/2014Returned to the scene of the crime where 11 years ago I stole my future wife's heart on our first date. Not many changes to note, which is a good thing! The peppers on the appetizer taste as great as always, but I recall the menu used to call this dish Pepperoni Rostodoro con Famaggio, and now it reads some Americanized, non memorable version. They also included the Balsamic Vinegar on the table now, where as before, you had to request it. Frut di Mare was amazing as expected, and I tried something new, which was the Meatballs, and discovered they a like a Sausage in Meatball clothing (but w/o the skin and fat).Special Features:
- Very HappyOCfoodguyDined on 8/9/2014This is still my single favorite restaurant in Calhallow / warf area! Try it you will be very impressed!Special Features:
- kristinLDined on 8/9/2014Food was amazing - the cantaloupe, procuitto and fresh mozzarella was melt in your mouth good.Special Features:
- RudyDined on 8/9/2014Had a super time as we do everytime we go there. It is a small diamond in the middle of North Beach off the beaten path of all the tourists. The food is just perfect and the friendly atmosphere the staff creates is most welcoming in a big city like SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atop Russian Hill (almost)LunchloverDined on 8/6/2014Trattoria Contadina is a great neighborhood place... and a lovely Italian restaurant overall. We've lived just up the street for a year now and we find it's smart to make a reservation if you want to be sure to get in! (It is no fun to be turned away at "your" corner restaurant.) I just took a friend from San Jose to dine and she absolutely loved it. She had the Pavarotti pasta and ordered extra cream sauce... not on my diet, but she was super happy. I had the polpettine (meatballs)... just right. The bar is adding some nice bottles - had a rye whiskey to start the meal. Thanks, everyone at TC for the quality and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local spot but overratedBritalianDined on 8/4/2014We arrived early as we were meeting friends there and our reservation was only available at 5pm when they opened so we had to wait outside .. No invitation to sit for a cocktail at the bar and when we sat down the chef was visibly annoyed. Very costly considering what we ate. But the food was of good Italian standard. Salad dressing was a bit over powering. This location is all by itself at the top of a steep hill ... Not easy for everyone to manage the climb and no view so for special occasions I would give this one a miss and go to Top of the Mark or for good value, brave the wait for Cheesecake Factory.
- Great italian food and great serv'nHappysmackerDined on 8/2/2014We were seated at our table immediately and did not have to wait. The server did a great job attending to our needs. The quality of the food was great at a competitive price. My only complaint was that the house Chianti was a bit tasteless and ordinary. I would rather have TJ's Sangiovese.Special Features:
- Food not greatKathyJDined on 8/2/2014Sorry, the food was a big disappointment. The server was lovely, the cosy atmosphere was just right. The bread and wine were good. The salad was bland and underdressed , I couldn't,t cut the tough meatball . It was just a round dry hamburger, no tender flavor that I was wanting. I ate one of the meatballs and quit. My friend entree was underwhelming as well The wine was great and reasonable pricedSpecial Features:
- Love this gemElvisDined on 8/1/2014My favorite Italian restaurant in North Beach. The pasta is superb and the service is great. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ambienceViVeDined on 7/26/2014An excellent neighborhood restaurant... much better than the "tourist trap Italian restaurants" that we find on Columbus Avenue.Special Features:
- Family Italian Food As It Should BecoloradosteveDined on 7/26/2014My Gosh, if you live Italian food straight from the heart, here it is. Simply, straightforward, carefully selected high quality ingredients. Made with love and served with love. What more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TiffanyDined on 7/26/2014This is my new favorite. The food is amazing and the service is impeccable!Special Features:
- charming family ItaliancgoodDined on 7/25/2014I almost don't want to tell anyone how wonderful this restaurant is for fear more people will go. Tight knit crew most there for 15 years or more, the chefs there for 30 years. Food is authentic and delicious. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HookemDined on 7/22/2014Always a great experience. Tuesday night, smaller crowd, great service, delicious food! We always make this our first evening out when we visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- Great North Beach GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2014The food was great. I highly recommend the barrata and strawberries. The service was very good overall but beware of the flying fork when they bus the table. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in North Beach!MikeDined on 7/20/2014Authentic Italian classics! Awesome little place within walking distance of the Wharf! Loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodSanVinDined on 7/19/2014The antipasta was a delightfully fresh selection and the entrees showed creativity without over complicating the flavors. Everything was quite yummy and the service was spot on - just enough without being intrusive. the wine list is a bit limited but we found a nice Syrah that complemented our meal. We will definately go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Great LocationDavidBDined on 7/18/2014The food was excellent. The caprese, nocino and agnello were excellent. The restaurant is also in an excellent location along the cable car route.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Spot!clarkcasaDined on 7/17/2014Enjoyed our 35th Anniversary here! Great service and the food was enjoyable. Had an amazing caprese salad, and decadent dessert. The house special coffee was delicious... Thanks for a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RetiredtwosomeDined on 7/16/2014Drake the bartender was fantastic, as we chose to sit at bar for a martini prior to seating for dinner. Great drinks, and conversation. Nancy our waitress was terrific, and the food was the best! Would go back again soon. They took good care of us to get us to our play in a timely fashion. Only two blocks from BBB. Great locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?TomcDined on 7/13/2014It took 15 minutes for my party to be greeted at the table and that only happened because I flagged down the hostess and placed my drink order. The waiter brought the wine and took our food order and that was the last time I saw him until I flagged him down to get the check. The bad news for the restaurant was that this waiter was equally late at the table next to us and then staggered their food order so one person sat with no food in front of them while the other person had food. Someone help them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Overall I had a great experience at the restaurant. The wait staff was excellent, helpful and friendly even the bust boys. The best Cesar salad I have had and of course after sampling my friends salad the best Mediterranean salad I have ever had also. So needless to say when we ordered the spaghetti and meatballs were were very excited to try the meal. The quite romantic atmosphere, the smiling wait staff and the amazing salad lead to a bland entree, Spaghetti with turkey meatballs. But the customers beside us really enjoyed their clams and cheesecake. I would still recommend this restaurant. FYI make reservations in advance.Special Features:
- Hop off the cable car and enjoyRSAfoodieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. The gnocchi is fabulous. Have it as an appetizer for the table. All the pasta dishes are good. Check out the nightly specials - I always find something tasty on the list.Special Features:
- Our Favorite San Fran spot!filmfaeryDined on 7/6/2014Every time my husband and I visit San Francisco we hit up this very small but excellent Italian restaurant. Reservations are almost always a must but with a busy 4th of July weekend the host managed to get us in within minutes of our reservation. The pepper appetizer is my favorite, the veal and beef ravioli (with spicy pink sauce) were out of this world. This time we were fortunate enough to have our young kids. My son celebrating his 11 year old birthday and visiting San Francisco for the first time blurted out, "This is the best pasta I have ever had." And he meant it. He had the spaghetti and meatballs. He is already asking if we are going to San Francisco again any time soon. On that note….We will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic Anniversary DinnerAndyDined on 7/5/2014Decided to go to Contadina to celebrate anniversary with my girlfriend. Fantastic dinner and ambiance. The service was great, and they even brought out champagne to toast us on the milestone. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants an excellent dinner in a romantic (but not fake) environmentSpecial Features:
- Cozy and Great FoodEastBayScottDined on 7/4/2014Off the 'main drag' from North Beach and feels quiet and private. Good food and an environment that feels traditional without being touristy. When people visit, I take them to Contadina any time I am in North BeachSpecial Features:
- HomemadeGonetothebeachDined on 7/4/2014The food was fine and rustic but the soup was bland and prawns in the risotto completely overlooked. It probably was due to being 4 th July and extra busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodShel64Dined on 7/3/2014Great cooking, good range and at good prices and good service Very highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphereherotype0Dined on 6/30/2014This is our first time dining italian in San Francisco. We visited for my wife's birthday dinner. I got the Valdostana Chicken and it was delicious. The swiss chard was cooked perfectly and the Prosciutto on top of the chicken is something I've never had before and was very delicious . My wife didn't enjoy the Fruiti de Mare. It was a little on the bland side. Other than that, we had a very good experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceevieDined on 6/29/2014We were in the city to see Beach Blanket Babylon for a birthday celebration! While researching a place place to eat close to the venue, I found Trattoria. The yelp reviews suggested this was the place to go! And boy....were they right on! Great Italian food, fantastic waitress and I am already planning my return visit! If you're in North Beach, you must try Trattoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Babylon FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014we were looking for a place to eat after Beach Blanket Babylon, we found the perfect spot. Cozy, authentic, great service, great food, and welcomed with open arms. Menu is great with traditional Italian faire. Appetizers were plenty and good, Meatballs to die for. We were smart and waited to order entrees after appetizers, which was perfectly fine with our host. Great location on Mason St., Cable Car stop across the street and good place to hail a cab. If you like good Italian in a great location, this is a super spotSpecial Features:
- Trattoria Contadina was great!!diningout4funDined on 6/28/2014The food was delicious and nice atmosphere with very good service! Family owned and it shows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italianJmwpbDined on 6/27/2014had a really amazing experience over the weekend, very good food and a neat atmosphere, it gets a little hot in the restaurant would be the only complaint I can say. I had the meatballs and linguine, outstanding my wife got the cheese ravioli and she was not disapointed at all, great job guys there is a reason you have such great reviewsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of North Beach's BestTMC2014Dined on 6/26/2014Be sure to have a reservation for dinner! Really great experience - wonderful food and service. Super wine list. The Burrata was oustanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014One of the best Italian meals I've had. The risotto with lamb shops was superb - flavorful, tender and the risotto had so many flavors. A friend recommended this restaurant and I'm glad she did. We were there early and had reservations, but it got busy very quickly - it's not a very big space, but all of the staff were friendly, the food superb and we'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014This small restaurant has wonderful food and a very friendly staff. You need reservations because this place is very small but worth the planning. The gnocchi was light and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.