Trail Creek Cabin
51 Trail Creek Road
Sun Valley, ID 83353Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $31 to $50
Trail Creek Cabin
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sunvalley.com/things-to-do/dining/
- Phone: 2086222019x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday 530pm - 9pm
Closed Sundays and Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Wendy Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering done through Sun Valley Resort.
- Private Party Facilities: For inquiries please call us
- Private Party Contact: Catering 2086222020x
- Entertainment: Accordion player (winter)
- Special Events: If you would like to book a wagon ride and dinner please call (208) 622-2135.
A word from Trail Creek Cabin
A romantic hideaway since 1937, Trail Creek Cabin is a must Sun Valley dining adventure. Wagons depart for the restaurant from the village near the Sun Valley Inn during the summer season, and you may also drive. The seasonal menu has a western flare all complimented by a great wine list and a full bar.Continued
Located 1.5 miles east of the Sun Valley Lodge (half a mile past the Sun Valley Club).
Located 1.5 miles east of the Sun Valley Lodge (half a mile past the Sun Valley Club).
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Trail Creek Cabin - Best Restaurants in Sun Valley ›
Trail Creek Cabin reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (32)scenic view (31)special occasion (25)romantic (20)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very pleasant settingCherigirl52Dined on 9/5/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Our table had the view of Baldy Mt. . . and all of Sun Valley. Simply wonderful. Our entrees were very slow coming out of the kitchen. Our waitress was doing the best she could by keeping our water glass filled along with our drinks. . . . . . . the food was very tasty. We do love the setting and the decor of the facility.Special Features:
- Sun Valley diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Gorgeous stream-side setting with mountain views for outdoor dining. Young international staff is attentive and fun. Great offerings for vegetarians—eggplant is awesome. Scones with honey-butter is meal in itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so much better.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/2/2014We took some local friends and we all commented that the food was better than it has been. This is the most amazing restaurant, but the food has not been the quality it should be. Unfortunately, we all have been talking about the food quality. So, it was outstanding to have such a great meal. Please keep this up !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It does not get betterSunValleyFanDined on 9/2/2014dinner at Trail Creek Cabin is a classic Sun Valley experience, Hemmingway knew a good place when he saw it.Special Features:
- Sk8rGirlDined on 8/29/2014I loved my evening at Trail Creek Cabin; we sat outside on the patio right next to the creek - there wasn't a bad view in any direction and they had heaters to combat the evening chill. My meal - buffalo, lamb, and bacon meatloaf - was excellent, as was my friend's halibut. When a thunderstorm came up at the end of the evening, staff were quick to move us and our remaining things inside. It was a nice change from eating in downtown Ketchum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014We had a wonderful evening at Trail Creek Cabin. Our table was right on the creek. Richard took excellent care of us and we had a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- excellent revivalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Trail Creek Cabin has never been better. The food is now excellent and the service matches it. Do not miss and do not judge from the past. Great evening all around!Special Features:
- Review late night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Thank you for the excellent meal. The only concern that we had was that it became rather cold and dark following a long process for delivery of the meal. We were seated outside with our 8:30pm reservation. We were eating our main course in the dark and cold after 9:30pm that night. Yet, it looked like there may have been seating inside. Regards, GarySpecial Features:
- A Sun Valley TraditionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten at trail creek many times. The outdoor seating is beautiful. The indoor log is Tradtional log cabin rustic. Always friendly staff. Although I saw our server only twice to take our order and to deliver the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointingLove2dineoutDined on 8/5/2014Not as nice/good as last year when we had an outstanding experience. Maybe because there were two large parties and the kitchen wasn't tip top. The food wasn't spectacular as it was a year ago either. It just didn't have the same romantic feel and enthusiastic service! No specials this time, either. Maybe if we try again after Labor Day we will have a similar experience as last year after Labor Day.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurantsdc240Dined on 7/12/2014Trail Creek Cabin made our anniversary special. Very great atmosphere. Our waitress was extremely helpful and nice. The food was also very delicious. Great portion sizes as well.Special Features:
- great view, slow serviceNellieDined on 7/12/2014We like to eat at Trail Creek Cabin a few times a year. During the summer you can sit on the patio and see Bald Mountain in the distance and look down on Trail Creek. The cabin itself is rustic and charming. The food is good and they mix up the menu enough to keep it interesting. It is now the only restaurant in town where you can still get scones. The only drawback that we have experienced the last two times we have dined there (July and Valentine's Day) was that the service has been very slow. When we last ate there we didn't even know who our waiter was for over half an hour. Luckily the "bus" person brought us water and bread right away or I would have been starving. Once we did get to order, the food came in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningNasusazDined on 7/5/2014We had a delightful meal in a beautiful settingon the deck; a most personable and efficient waitress! PerfectSpecial Features:
- Great Ambience, Poor ServiceNCtravlerVIPDined on 6/20/2014The ambience is great here. Sit either outside or inside and it's very charming. The food was better than I expected. However, the service was very poor. A glass of wine that was suppose to come with dinner arrived 3/4 of the way through the entree, and that was after we prompted. Other items were forgoten as well. Glasses were never refilled. Other servers tried to fill in and did a good job, but our was AWOL most of the time. I was surprised, not only would this not meet Sun Valley standards, but would even meet standards in a Applebees.Special Features:
- MediocremrpiiiDined on 6/6/2014If you want a place to sit outside and have a drink and an appetizer, this is unique and worth trying. Otherwise the food is poor. It can get cold even in summer when the sun gets low. If you have to sit inside, find another place to dine.Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Trail Creek Cabin reviews archive.
- Dinner was a special event.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014We had a great time and dined on the three course wine pairing dinner. We were given excellent service and serenaded by Tim the accordion player. It was all wonderful. We dined slowly because they weren't too busy and it was an evening event.Special Features:
- Great Service and AmbianceIdahomeDined on 4/8/2014We went during the slower season and had a great experience. The staff, in particular Shauna, was very attentive and made sure that the evening was a special event. Food was excellent especially the wild mushroom bisque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsMelanieD3Dined on 3/1/2014I was very excited to eat here. It has a very charming ambience, is a true "log cabin" and at a beautiful location. There was an accordion player providing wonderful background music for our dinner. The hostess was inviting and quickly took us to our table. Unfortunately, that was where all of the positive points ended. The service was horrible. We waited at least 10-15 minutes before our server even greeted us. The drinks took another 10 minutes to get out and the food took a long time as well. My husband got the meatloaf and I got the rotisserie chicken. They were average. Not bad but nothing special. I wish the service and food had been better- this restaurant has so much potential but I would not recommend it after our experience.Special Features:
- Food was very good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/27/2014Food was very good, service was not as attentive after the server learned that only one of us was drinking alcohol. Guess she felt like we were going to be "cheap" diners? The setting is gorgeous - right by the creek! I'd go back and hope for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last visit we took a sleighOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2014Last visit we took a sleigh ride to the restaurant which definitely enhanced the experience. A quaint log cabin in the woods, it promises a charming experience. However, the food was underwhelming. Mashed potatoes that retained their ice cream scoop origin, overcooked steak but good brussel sprouts. Overall, not worth returning. Too many great restaurants in Ketchum. The accordion player was wonderful.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the evening, foodmikeDined on 2/8/2014Enjoyed the evening, food was fantastic. A foot of fresh snow outside added to the overall ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCaliforniaFoodieDined on 1/22/2014Food, service and ambience all spectacular! I will go back when in Ketchum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey special a disapointmentsvnativeDined on 1/17/2014My husband and I go out for a really nice dinner a few times a year. It is a big deal and we wanted to try something new. The atmosphere was very nice at trail creek and our wait staff was great. My husband ordered fish and I ordered the t-bone special. It wasn't special. It was a run of the mill steak and all for $35. I was very disappointed. If you go, don't get the overpriced steak. The fish and scones were very good, though, so it wasn't a complete failure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceShrimpDined on 1/10/2014We had an early dinner (6pm) and the restaurant was very quiet. We specifically went there for our Anniversary and so going earlier was great. The food was very good and the service was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Dining AtmospheresandyDined on 1/8/2014Trail Creek Cabin is a cozy cabin in a wooded setting, just a few miles out of downtown Ketchum. You can reach it by sled or car. We drove to the restaurant and enjoyed our evening of good food, accompanied by music. We were a large party of 13 but we had two waitresses taking orders which facilitated faster serving. We all received our entrees together. The staff is helpful and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComplacentMichaelVIPDined on 11/29/2013The staff has become so bored with their jobs that it seems like guests are burdens! Train your staff to be better! When families are paying $100 per person for a dining experience, it needs to be an experience and not a "ho-hum". The food is never consistent.Special Features:
- Love the CabinAliRNDined on 10/12/2013The location & ambiance of Trail Creek Cabin can't be beat. My meal - lamb - was exceptionally good; my father's meal - buffalo rib eye was not wonderful (he ended up sending it back, and our server was kind enough to take it off the bill). Maybe next time we will have better luck with the food... and there will be a next time - Trail Creek Cabin is a favorite of our family.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, delicious foodscottiecraigDined on 10/8/2013First, market salads (roasted pears and squash, pecans, and baby lettuce), big roasted beet salad, creamy squash soup. Then a rich lamb shank, meat loaf (ground bison,lamb, and bison bacon), & a very fresh steelhead trout topped with olives and tomatoes. Finally, berry shortcake with rosewater ice cream-smelled like perfume and tasted like nothing else, & Turkish pot de cremes, rich and dense puddings spiced with cinnamon & cardamom. First time in larger and newer front room. Second trip in smaller, original cabin room-great photos, roaring fire a more intimate atmosphere. New items, lamb chops and sturgeon, and a caramelized apple crisp. Efficient and knowledgeable servers, large portions, a delightful place. Wagon ride ups the romance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everChrisCccVIPDined on 10/5/2013We on a loved trail creek but after our last experience here, we won't be coming back. The server started off angry that we weren't ordering entrees and it all went down him from there. No drink refills, nothing for 45 minutes. No apologies at the end. Worst service ever. Will not go back.
- Beautiful meal in relaxed settingDotnjessVIPDined on 9/27/2013We had not been back to Trail Creek Cabin in many years, and wondered if it could be as good as we remembered. We were not disappointed. From the moment our very friendly server brought a basket of fresh-baked breads, to the table, we relaxed into a wonderful dining experience. We started with the market salad special, a melange of pears, candied nuts, dates stuffed with Gorgonzola ...yum, entrees were equally delicious. I had the Steelhead trout and my friend had wild cedar planked salmon, accompanied by seasonal vegetables. Both were grilled perfectly, and we ate every bite. Luckily we saved room for dessert, a warm apple crisp with house made cinnamon ice cream, the perfect end to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceRWDPDined on 9/12/2013Atmosphere and view were amazing, Whitney was on point with all suggestions and the food was fabulous. Can't get too much better than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet But SmokyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2013Yes, some smoke got in our eyes, but the excellent fare at Trail Creek made it a great night anyway! While Time for Three, a fantastic trio, performed for the high rollers in the tent, we probably better food and more attentive service. The meatloaf was moist and the rib lets tasty-ony the fish was a bit dry. Although the staff was a bit TOO enthusiastic about rolling the heaters around the deck way before the evening had cooled, the atmosphere was pretty relaxed. Trail Creek continues to be one of out Valley favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful return to Trail CreekJerryRDined on 8/8/2013A wonderful tradition to return to this historic treasure in the Sun Valley area. Great Idaho food, superb service and mountain and creek views. A special place!Special Features:
- Excellent food in lovely settingBakerdogsDined on 7/30/2013Plenty of tempting choices on menu. Daily halibut special on mashers was delicious, as was gazpacho soup special. Save room for dessert. Peach crisp with cinnamon ice cream--and other ice creams--was worth the calories! Setting could not be prettier. Server let us know the kitchen was backed up because big party arrived early. It was a lovely dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a Summer DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2013I have eaten at the Trail Creek Cabin a number of times in the Winter. This is my first summer dinner. It didn't disappoint. Would recommend an outside seat if available. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomedavisDined on 7/4/2013dinner was absolutely AMAZING!!!!! well worth the price....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everything!PhilDined on 7/3/2013Food was excellent, service was good..server didn't give us the "specials for the evening" but it didn't matter much as we wouldn't have chosen that. We had requested a table on the patio but rain showers made that a less-than-desirable option. They seated us at an inside table at the window with a good view of the hills. It was really nice. I would return there in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Amazing dinner, great ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013Amazing dinner, great ambiance, decor is fantastic, accordian player fabulous. My husband and i had a quiet dinner near the fireplace. Service was outstanding. We come here every year and love it.Special Features:
- Trail Creek is everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/12/2013Trail Creek is everything that's right and everything that's wrong about Sun Valley. It preserves the Sun Valley of Hemingway and Gretchen Fraser under an architectural-scale dust layer. If you're in the mood for the whole sleigh ride out to The Cabin thing, an evening of moldering "comfort food," and an accordion player squeezing out evergreens all evening, then The Cabin is romantic, nostalgic, and a perfect special occasion choice. If you've found yourself getting a bit tired of the whole it's-Sun-Valley-and-WWII-hasn't-happened-yet vibe then it's almost embarrassingly bad. We've been visiting SV in the winter for almost 10 years now and we're getting a bit tired of the shtick. This was the first, and last, time we'll visit The Cabin.Special Features:
- Be Carefulbda6885Dined on 1/29/2013We made the mistake of booking a table the same night as one of the sleigh rides (we didn't take the sleigh) and ended up having horrible service. We were seated at a table in the room opposite the sleigh ride people and sat there for a good 10 minutes with no service. When our waiter finally showed up (after we had asked for service) , she said she was also serving the large sleigh party and apologized, but did little to try to correct the problem. The rest of the night the only time we saw her was when she hurriedly dropped off our food and left. If you do go, be sure to book a night when there is no sleigh ride or you risk having horrible service.