Trading Post NYC
170 John Street
New York, NY 10038Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Trading Post NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tradingpostnyc.com/
- Phone: (646) 370-3337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have Private rooms that can accommodate intimate parties of 8, up to larger gatherings of 250.
- Private Party Contact: John Higgins 6464182502
A word from Trading Post NYC
The Trading Post is a classic American Restaurant and Bar. With a nod to our landmarked location in an elegantly restored 1840 Greek Revival building; our Menus will take you on a tour of trading routes both past and present-day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trading Post NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)special occasion (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great find!ApoucherDined on 11/1/2014We took a chance on this restaurant and went soley off of online reviews and couldn't have been happier. The restaurant was quiet when we got there which was nice. Service was great and timely and all of the food was wonderful. Would recommend and go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandma birthday dinnerDitmasChickDined on 10/24/2014Great choice for grandma's birthday dinner. Quiet booth, food perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place.lanna2dineDined on 10/14/2014I first found out about this resturant at a food street fair at south st seaport .. Maybe a year ago. I decided to celebrate my 23rd birthday dinner here a couple nights ago. I was so please. Everything was perfect I have no complaints. My family and I are planning our next visit back. HeheheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome drinks, great service!LanafoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Really loved this place. Great bar with a great look and delish food with amazing drinks.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance & ServiceLindsayDined on 9/27/2014The staff was friendly, and the manager went out of his way to show us around and check on us. Our waitress did forget to put our appetizer order in, but we had ordered it with our drinks. Our table was intimate, and cozy - and the ambiance was definitely the biggest plus of our experience. I was also told it was a quiet night. The food was nicely presented, but overall a bit underwhelming. Everything needed just a bit more seasoning. We found ourselves salt & peppering just about everything that was served to us. We had the salmon tartare, skirt steak & jumbo shrimp entree. The complimentary birthday dessert was delicious. Overall, we would likely return, but maybe order different food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seaport spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/20/2014we had a great booth with very attentive service....raw bar food was fabulous....our main course was also great...food came a perfect paceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedDRW0515VIPDined on 9/15/2014I've been here for lunch several times now, having taken new guests each time. I've tried different dishes and always enjoyed the food; and the service is equally on par. My guests all were impressed as well. It's my new favorite downtown.Special Features:
- Quiet gemMichaelDined on 8/30/2014This is a quiet gem for personal or business meals. Just a hint of sports bar at the bar (tv's), but the rest of it is quiet and modern classy. Excellent kitchen and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Trading PostStephDined on 8/23/2014We went there for my mom's birthday with a group of 7. It is a really cozy restaurant. We enjoyed the food and they had a nice wine list too. Their mussels for an appetizer were fantastic. I would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good Downtown JointPalmtreesDined on 8/6/2014Food was seemingly fresh, well prepared and warm. Food is always hot and cooked appropriately. Food is also very good, from the meat and cheese boards, to the hamburger, mussels and buratta. They give you plenty of tie if you want to linger. Drinks are a bit expensive and they sadly do not offer buybacks. I've been going there once per week since they opened with my wife and then this week I went with my buddies. You might think they might have bought me a round for such loyalty. Nothing. No acknowledgment Perhaps it's a rudderless ship with no management in sight. Service typically efficient, is subpar or nonexistent when seated in an out-of-the-way area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Wait staff was friendly and capable, but stretched thin -- meals arrived different times and beer took to long to get to table. but the meal was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the Trading Post NYC reviews archive.
- I dressed up pubReddybroDined on 7/5/2014enjoyed sliders, fries,flatbread. personable bartender, .ate at the bar but the property does have a cozy room downstairs as well as a dining room. worth the tripSpecial Features:
- mos205VIPDined on 7/1/2014I was surprised how busy this place was on a Tuesday. Food was good. Service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mussels ever!EdwinDined on 6/28/2014What a great find during our recent weekend in the city! Walked from Tribeca all the way to South and John for a stunning view of the Brooklyn Bridge at twilight. Decided to eat here at a window seat. After an amazingly crafted Manhattan, we ordered the chorizo and mussels in lemon and thyme broth. Seriously THE best mussels I've EVER had. Entrees of skirt steak and shrimp were well prepared as well. A definite winner all around!Special Features:
- Complete WinuglyearlDined on 6/19/2014From the decor to the food, this place was a "win" on all accounts. My date and I split the PBLT sliders (amazing) and had the spicy shrimp/avocado flatbread and special for dinner. What was the special you ask? Flatiron steak with foie gras and truffles over a bed of spinach and asparagus. Whoa. This place was ah-mazing.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseRaymondTuskVIPDined on 6/17/2014First time we tried it. Very good food and service. Will be back. Ask for Table 1 if you are doing a business lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trading Post NYCLion26KingVIPDined on 6/13/2014Sorry to say, but it was better when it was The Yankee Clipper. For full write-up go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- good spot for a business lunchcinderDined on 6/9/2014Went there for a lunch with clients. Wasn't too loud or busy, they had us in a smaller room which was greatly appreciated m server was attentive and the food was served quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in the Seaport!!!Clo724Dined on 6/5/2014Great spot! The food is excellent! I've eaten there many times and I've never tasted anything that wasn't incredible! The decor of the restaurant is beautiful and there is an incredible room upstairs that would be perfect for an event/dinner for about 50/60 people. They have just added outdoor seating also just in time for summer! I can't say enough good things about this place! Best restaurant in the seaport as far as I'm concerned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maureen loved itFERRYRIDEREATSDined on 6/5/2014STOPPED ON THE WAY HOME TO ROCKAWAY ON THE FERRY AND FOUND THIS PLACE IN MARCH. CAME BACK FOR DINNER AND DRINKS. THE FOOD WAS TERRIFIC. I HAD THE SCOTTISH SALMON AND MY WIFE THE SIRLOIN STEAK BOTH WERE WINNERS. THERE WAS AN EVENT GOING ON IN THE BAR BUT WE COULD STILL CONVERSE. SERVICE WAS VERY GOOD. OVERALL A GREAT NIGHT. WE'LL BE BACK.Special Features:
- Good find, good food, good area...FoodieandWineoDined on 5/3/2014The food was tasty! I had a wedge salad and steak. It was well seasoned and cooked as ordered. Being next to the water provides a great opportunity for a walk after dinner. The downside is that the hostess was a bit rude. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she was having a bad day. She didn't feel like helping me find the party I was meeting, or alerting me that there was a room at the very front of the restaurant that you won't notice if you don't know it exists. I was going to ask her for a knife because our waitress hadn't come by in a while, but when I approached her before I could make my request she snarked that "it was downstairs to the right" assuming I was looking for the bathroom. She was just unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a dinerDavid75016Dined on 4/25/2014We had a great moment on this restaurant. Nice place and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceCMCMDined on 4/23/2014This is a really nice restaurant with good prices, good food and nice ambience. There are upstairs and downstairs bars, and the dining rooms are dimly-lit, but not too dim - just right. The shrimp cocktail was fresh (not pre-frozen) and the bass was very good. I would also recommend the lobster mac and cheese.Special Features:
- Tasty neighborhood jointJRinOCVIPDined on 4/21/2014We were a little concerned, considering how close this restaurant was to the Fulton Market and Pier 17, we thought it may be a tourist trap. FYI: No kids menu....But it was really great! Service was very good and my daughter said it was the best burger ever! I had the beet salad which was a huge portion of beets, probably could have split that with someone and got a bowl of soup too. The bread was delicious, especially the raisin &. Fennel roll. Overall a very good lunch and a place we will plan to return to soon.Special Features:
- Just west of the Seaport,SherylVIPDined on 4/7/2014Just west of the Seaport, this is a great spot for lunch. Dark glossy woods/interior (trading post? sort of nautical looking and comfortable...) and good space between the tables. Made for a good business lunch, as we could actually hear each other. Lobster BLT was a crowd pleaser, and a chicken kale salad was very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaport SpecialetwaswolleDined on 3/31/2014This is great spot for casual and business dining - have enjoyed both lunch and dinner a number of times. I brought fairly large groups twice and everyone loved it. Can be noisy when the after-work crowd fills the bar area. Has cosy niche spaces for romantic dining. Upstairs feels like a library and is usually quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsNYDinerDined on 3/15/2014Perhaps we were expecting too much, but we found the Trading Post to be just OK. Nothing wrong, but nothing exceptional, either. Perhaps we went with expectations too high? But, the razor clams, while pretty good, didn't have a lot of clams in them. My colossal shrimp entrée had exactly 4 good sized, but not colossal, shrimp. And they weren't that crisp texture really fresh shrimp has. Again, not bad, but not great, either. The penne special with chicken was bland. The service was fine, but only that. Waitress took our order, the food came, and we got the check. We did like the décor. Lots of little places to sit and eat where you aren't right on top of the table next to you. But, overall, I probably won't go back. It just wasn't special.
- Wonderful!CeraVIPDined on 3/7/2014Fantastic mussels! The chicken was cooked perfectly...moist on the inside with a crispy skin and the truffle potatoes were the perfect complement. My husband's short ribs were also amazing, rich and tender. Adam, our waiter, was fantastic and added to the entire evening. We'll definitely go back next time we're in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space and good food.JoeLVIPDined on 3/6/2014The place is a newly renovated cross between a pub a saloon and a speak easy with lots of secret enclaves leather chairs and wood panelling. It's lively in the bar or white table cloth upstairs. The service is great. The food is as good or better than anything else in the area. Try the cheese sample....perfect.Special Features:
- A gem in Seaport areaRedBankMamaDined on 2/25/2014This beautiful bar/restaurant has a fresh menu and great beer selection. Ambience is cozy and elegant. You can choose quiet and private or talk in the bar. Kale salad was fresh and delicious and sides were excellent. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WISH THE FOOD WERE A LITTLE BETTERPlannerDiVIPDined on 2/4/2014What sounded amazing in print was just good. Pork Belly sliders- how can you miss? But the pork belly was overcooked instead of soft with a crispy finish- it was a bit chewy and overcooking makes it lose its flavor. The sauce was pretty good, so it just missed. The beet salad promised goat cheese, I thought, but bits of blue cheese were thrown in. Disconcerting, even though I like both cheeses... I don't like them mixed. It's close to my apartment in lower Manhattan, so I was a little bummed that it's not fit for a discerning foodie such as myself. But my friend liked her lobster mac n cheese. The Super Tuscan wine was delicious, too, and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome mid-week treat!DaydayDined on 1/23/2014Quick service, great for a mid-week treat! Lobster BLT is awesome! Service was quick, servers polite and efficient! I will return to try more dishes. BTW- menu is separated into small dishes and large dishes to make your selection easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good nightconwje01Dined on 1/22/2014This place was a good dinner out with a friend. The service was and the ambience was definitely something I enjoyed especially on a wednesday night. Probably a good after work drinks spot too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pricey for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2014Really love the ambience in the beautifully renovated space. This place used to be the Yankee Clipper which had a lot of history for those of us who are in the insurance business! Great place for a date of afterwork drinks with colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2014I took a friend from my country and we had a great time there! Both wine and food, especially seafood appetizers were great. And great steak. Staff there was attentive. Hope they keep this restaurant forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemSeaportlocalDined on 12/31/2013A bit off the beaten track, almost to South Street on John, but a great spot. It balance seemingly contradicting characteristics in perfect harmony. It's full of cozy nooks for romantic cuddling or small groups but within a huge space if you want to have a big party. Also, it has a large full bar along with the scene, especially after work, but can go there just for a dinner with truly excellent food, from a spectacular raw bar, to slow braised short ribs, classic dishes, and a super lobster mac that's called a side, but is rich and filling. It's decor is suited to the "old seaport" in a long, old, low rise building lined with dark wood paneling in line with its "trading post" name but without being too theme-y.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to trade for better waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013...maybe throw a new chef in with the deal, too. This place really needs to bring up its game if it's going to make it.
- Could Have Been BetterTimmccr8Dined on 12/17/2013We went to TP as a group of 9 because for the neighborhood it had a menu with a nice range at not ridiculous prices. Maybe they can't handle larger parties but the service was distinctly lacking. A t least one order (mine) arrived cold and it was a chore to get beverage orders filled (much less correctly) or otherwise get attention from the staff. I liked the room.I wanted to like the food. Based on this visit, I just don't know that I'd tell anyone to spend money there.
- Cozy, fun and DELICIOUSSPNYCDined on 12/13/2013Reservations were easy to make, I called ahead and let the restaurant know this would be a special occasion dinner so the reserved a booth -- a little tucked away private area for me and my party. I cannot say enough nice things about the service leading up to and during dinner, and everything we ate was amazing. Really highly recommend this place. Classy, cozy and the menu is fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent!Michele531VIPDined on 12/7/2013I highly recommend Trading Post. Everything we ate was delicious and we love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.