TradeWinds Restaurant - Virginia Beach Resort Hotel - Virginia Beach
2800 Shore Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
TradeWinds Restaurant - Virginia Beach Resort Hotel - Virginia Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tradewindsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 757-481-9000x20
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm (last seating at 2:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Maclure
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from TradeWinds Restaurant - Virginia Beach Resort Hotel - Virginia Beach
TradeWinds is a casual, yet elegant restaurant located on the Chesapeake Bay. We offer a range of entrees including seafood and veal. With outdoor seating our deck overlooks the beautiful Chesapeake Bay and the gorgeous sunsets. We offer a children's menu and Lite Fare for those who want to snack. Seating is also available at the inside bar area which also offers the water view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
TradeWinds Restaurant - Virginia Beach Resort Hotel - Virginia Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (7)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- disappointingwantgoodfoodDined on 9/21/2014when you are paying $30 for sunday brunch, you expect deveined shrimp that is not overcooked! Also, last seating is at 2 pm so why when my party arrived at 1:30, does my made to order omelet come out of plastic bags?Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014This is the best brunch! They have the favorites each week and some dishes that change. It is an all-you-can-eat buffet with finely prepared food. Some of it is prepared as you request it.Special Features:
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food wasn't all that great, nor did the Sunday Brunch have all that many options. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. I probably would not go back. Nice view of the ocean though.Special Features:
- Good food.cardocDined on 8/16/2014As simple as that: Good food. Nothing special. Something you expect to find in any seafood restaurant. Service was attentive but slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodTom5Dined on 8/14/2014the Halibut was first-rate. One of our diners had a broiled seafood platter that was well prepared.prices are reasonable. The view is excellent.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Despite the very good view, we couldn't get seated outside which was a bummer since I made a reservation asking to be seated outside. Got told that outside was first come first serve which sucked. So instead of seating us at least next to the window, we got seated close to the bar in between two other occupied tables and our seats were next to other people instead of on the opposite side of the table to give us some room. Server didn't even come to us for our drink order until after we had been seated for about 10 minutes. Other than that, food tasted really good and was decently priced, but the server definitely took to long to check on us routinely.Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the TradeWinds Restaurant - Virginia Beach Resort Hotel - Virginia Beach reviews archive.
- Not the best visitDesoto61Dined on 4/27/2014Been here a few times and they have a very nice brunch, but this time the service was very lacking. Our waiter dropped off the drinks and then basically didn't return till it was time for the check. At one point we actually had to go ask someone else for a refill on our drinks. Normally they're very good, but this time was pretty bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a view of the bay!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014This is a nice restaurant to enjoy dinner while watching the sunset over the Chesapeake Bay. The fried shrimp were huge and delicious! The salmon was cooked to perfection and the service was fantastic! Highly recommend the brunch on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good BrunchMudhenDined on 3/23/2014We took our grandson (almost 18) so we could spend some time with him between soccer practices and games. He eats for about three people and he was not disappointed. The selection was good, several breakfast options, lunch dishes, and lots of desserts. Highlight of the day was when our grandson returned to the table with chocolate cake - and sushi! We have been here several times for family brunches (birthdays, etc) and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spot in TidewaterDUCHESSDined on 2/23/2014TRADEWINDS IS A PLACE FOR MEMORIES. EVERY TIME WE CELEBRATE A BIRTHDAY OF WORK RELATED AFFAIRS, TRADEWINDS IS BY FAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT THE BEST RESTAURANT TO ATTEND. IT MEETS EVERYONE NEEDS. FROM THE VEGANS, VEGETARIANS, FOOD LOVERS, TO PICKY PEOPLE. BEAUTIFUL PLACE. YOU'LL WANT TO STAY FOR HOURS BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS THAT WOULD LOVE TO SHARE IN YOUR EXPERIENCE. ANY OCCASION IS A PLACE FOR TRADEWINDS. MAKE UP A REASON TO GO....I DO :-). LOVE IT...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An un-ValentineJG2014Dined on 2/14/2014Selected this for Valentine's dinner because it was one of the few places that had an 8pm reservation available. Had to wait, despite a reservation. Seated next to a door that staff used to get into a storage area. Service was slow. Food was very good, especially calimari.
- waterside viewwannabefoodcriticDined on 2/14/2014This location would be a great location for a reception or banquet. However, for someone looking for a special occasion with the family, I would not recommend this location. There is a gorgeous view of the ocean with outdoor accommodations. But the atmosphere is not one for a family with kids. The host sat us in the corner and ignored us for most the night. Then checked my bank statement and was charged more than I signed for.Special Features:
- Come Hungry to BrunchFitnessbabeVIPDined on 1/19/2014Celebrated a Sunday birthday brunch with a party of 5 on 19 January 2014. Copious amounts of food. The oysters are not the best and I wish the soup was hotter, but there are plenty of solid choices to whet your appetite. The donut maker is super cute and believe it or not, it actually makes delicious donuts. I recommend the made-to-order Bananas Foster! Thank you Tradewinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new years eveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013went for a late evening new years eve dinner. not too busy. service was attentive and the food was very good. has a nice patio with a view of Chesapeake bay and the cbbt. have been here 4-5 times now and have been pleased with each experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food trumped by poor ambiencejastpDined on 12/8/2013What a shame. The Sunday brunch, which is a bit pricey, would have been quite lovely if it weren't for the horrible ambiance. Although there is a bay view, the very large room feels like an airplane hangar. It is cold. There is fluorescent lighting (are you kidding me?). There is no warmth or color at all. A lovely pianist couldn't even warm the place up. If management would spend a few dollars to change the lighting and add some warmth and texture to the setting, this would be a great place for a special occasion. As it is...even though the food was quite good, I doubt we will go back.
- Beautiful Bay spotcarolngeorgeVIPDined on 11/6/2013We were very glad to be at Tradewinds, and even in darkness appreciated the ambience of viewing the Bay Bridge lights, and being on the beach just outside the door! Chelsea was a totally fine waitress, amiable, helpful, and understanding our choices, making it all special for us during our Virginia Beach vacation. Food - two pasta dishes - was just what we wanted, and the musical group played pleasant numbers, occasionally louder than we'd like, but agreeable. All was good enough, so we might recommend friends. Sometimes we refrain, as it's not always a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceMacyJoDined on 10/5/2013Our dining experience at Tradewinds was not pleasant. First, the restaurant is difficult to locate as there is not a sign on the main road indicating where it is located. Once we found the convention center it was in, we had a difficult time finding where the actual restaurant was as the signage in the center was not good either. The restaurant is located at the end of a hallway which is lined with various meeting spaces. There was a wedding reception going on in the meeting space next to the dining room so the entire time, all we could hear was the music from the reception and even the toasts to the bride and groom. We were brought the wrong drinks and still charged for them and the food was not cooked properly. We will not return.Special Features:
- The view is still greatsince2011VIPDined on 9/9/2013I have been going to this restaurant for years with my family. The atmosphere is upscale and the view over the bay is beautiful. Service is polite and professional. But the food is just not as good as it used to be: not terrible, but not exciting either. My 'wild' salmon was quite bland (most likely farmed) and served with a cucumber sauce that unnecessarily mixed vinegary mayonnaise into the yoghurt. The 'exotic grains pilaf' was OK, but are corn kernels and brown rice really that 'exotic'? And the spaghetti squash, while well cooked, again had that odd taste of vinegar. My dad liked his Hatteras clam chowder, which was, indeed, full of chopped clams. Still, it would be nice if they upgraded the food to go with the rest of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish We Could Have Eaten OutdoorsSherryDined on 8/22/2013My husband and I met our son and his girlfriend at this restaurant for dinner. Overall, we were pleased with the food and the service. Our disappointment was in the fact that we asked if we could eat in the outdoor area...it was not full, and there was definitely room for a party of four (the restaurant was not terribly busy), and we were told No. The outdoor eating would have made the night special; instead, we had a nice dinner but it was not a special memory.Special Features:
- Good view & Food; on your own SvcDougDined on 8/18/2013Waited at entrance for ages while maitre'd busied himself with routine chores and ignored me. Finally, a waiter took pity and seated our party of 20. Could not believe the auto 18% gratuity for a buffet where the only service was forcing the bill on us before we were anywhere close to finishing the meal. No replacement silverware was available in the dining room for desert and waiter did not get it there before desert was finished. The food selection and view are nice for non beach dwellers so good for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a delicious dinnerlocalguyVIPDined on 8/12/2013We had a delicious dinner with friends. We all had the filet mignon and it was excellent. Our server was very attentive. We will return to TradeWinds again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSusanDined on 8/12/2013We have never seen this restaurant before although we have lived here for over 20 years. It is tucked in a hotel. The service staff were extremely friendly and the food was very good. We had a lovely seat with a beautiful view of the ocean. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Priceless view & delicious dinnerEvieDined on 8/8/2013This restaurant has an outstanding view of the sunset on Virginia Beach. The food portions were perfect and everything was delicious. The noise level was extremely high & service was slow. We waited 15 minutes for someone to come to our table to take our order for food & drinks. The food took about 20 minutes to arrive. Food presentation was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food poor serviceBryceDined on 8/8/2013Like the title says, the food was awesome, but the service was super poor. My check consisted of 1 appetizer, 2 main plates, and 1 dessert and from sitting down to getting up took approximately 2hours :( this was due to the service being slow and careless. I felt that we could have gotten our plates faster. Also, my date's plate was given to another table, so we had to wait again until she got a new plate. Honestly, I would recommend going for the food, but make sure ur schedule is open.Special Features:
- Very nice for special occasionDougDined on 6/16/2013Very nice for special occasion family brunch but mediocre table setting & atmosphere. Puts too much reliance on the view of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant has seen betterBeachjeeperVIPDined on 6/10/2013The restaurant has seen better days. Old and wornout. Pleasant people/servers. Only one waitress on the floor during our entire meal. Food was decent, but nothing to write home about. Will not visit again
- Good brunch with a wonderful viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2013Took my teenage daughter for the brunch. She had a great time with the donut making machine and the chocolate fountain. There is a good selection of food. The service was good. The only negative was how the place is set up. There was a regular buffet breakfast going on, but this was not part of the special Sunday brunch. We were not given much direction until our server come and explained this, which took a little while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The resturant was hostingvstevebDined on 4/22/2013The resturant was hosting a group event on the evening of our visit. This may have affected our experience. I ordered filet, medium rare. The meat was not a filet (or the worst filet I have ever eaten) and over cooked. The waiter was attentive but when the group started to arrive the noise continued to be louder and louder. I would not recommend this resturant for individual dinning when they are hosting a group event!Special Features:
- The staff was awesome. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2013The staff was awesome. Great view and service was enjoyable and friendly. The manager Mr. Sampson was outstanding and the wait staff was second to none. Forgot her name but she was very good and personable.Special Features:
- My fish had 4 bones in it,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013My fish had 4 bones in it, though, the taste was perfect. I enjoyed everything else. The service staff was impeccable.Special Features:
- Food was very good but thetranvkDined on 3/29/2013Food was very good but the service was a tad slow considering that the restaurant was only about one-third full.Special Features:
- the only thing positive IScottVIPDined on 3/27/2013the only thing positive I can say about this place is it really needs a visit from Food TV's Robert Irvine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The restaurant was in a hotelTMarshVIPDined on 3/15/2013The restaurant was in a hotel which made it a little difficult to find at first. When I first arrived the staff seemed to be a little unorganized but they got it together. The food was good and the view of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was great. I would go back.Special Features:
- A Great Brunch at the Tradewinds!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2013I took my family and in-laws to the Tradewind's Sunday brunch. The spread of food was excellent. Everything from fruit to carving stations and fresh shrimp and oysters as well as bananas foster and Belgium waffles. The service was very good and attended to every need that was brought before them. A benefit was the very talented pianist playing during the brunch service. My family and I felt happy, fulfilled, and had a very good experience at the Tradewinds.Special Features:
- Tradewinds has the best brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2013Tradewinds has the best brunch in the area - great selection of GOOD food, top notch service and good live piano music. This is truly a great dining experience.Special Features:
- We went during restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013We went during restaurant week and enjoyed our visit. The food was excellent and the waiter was very attentive. We will return.Special Features:
- Went for brunch after readingSundayDinnerVIPDined on 10/5/2012Went for brunch after reading reviews on open table but was quite disappointed. Got there at 12, had a reservation but still wasn't seated until 1230. Waiter was very forgetful & unattentive he had to be asked numerous times for beverage refills. The buffet was visually unappealing. The sushi looked awful, what little they had prepared. All of the breads were cold. The specialty stations were less than thrilling, the banana fosters was 3 slices with a spoon of ice cream, the donut machine took forever to churn out one donut & the yellowfin tuna station was a joke the tuna slices not steaks were so thin. I like mine med rare well that took 10 seconds & the seasonings overpowered the little slice. Would not recommend.
- The restaurant is locatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2012The restaurant is located in the back of the hôtel, on the second floor, making it not so friendly user to find. The place was almost vacant of costomers, making it cool and not very romantic dispise the magnificent view of the Bay. The service was courteous but not professionnal (the wine was pourred to the top of the glass, the bottle ordered was out of stock so a pricier one was offered without ajusting the price). Was it the justification of a 1000 points diner?Special Features:
- We went there for my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012We went there for my husband's birthday. The view of the ocean was great while still light outside. But once the sun went down, it was pitch black outside. We should have gotten a clue when there were only 2 other tables occupied in the whole restaurant. But since I had a reservation (not that we needed one) we decided to stay. The food was just okay and when I asked if they did anything special for birthdays, they said no. I would not go there again.Special Features:
- Top Ten WorstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2012TradeWinds was a big bust. Our party was unpleasantly welcomed after waiting for 5 minutes by an antisocial hostess who knew nothing of Open Table. Apparently their brunch is a hit, but their weekday lunch, is NOT. The menu looked appetizing, only to disappoint. There was a seafood trio of crab cakes, salmon, and scallops, tasted by my party... all of which were mediocre. The overcast day made the scenic view bittersweet and overall my guests and I left with the bitter taste leftover. I would not recommend this restaurant and I will not be returning.Special Features: