1203 NW Glisan
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tradervicspdx.com/
- Phone: 5034672277x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 4 pm-10 pm
Friday & Saturday 4 pm-12 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Travis Stroud
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Trader Vic's
Escape to Portland’s premiere destination for Polynesian cuisine, tropical cocktails, traditional Pupus and famous Chinese oven dishes. Our unforgettable ambiance features traditional Tikis, and palm-thatched ceilings. Trader Vic's Portland is located in the Pearl district. Join us for a little island spirit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Trader Vic's - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Trader Vic's reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Won't be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Big corporate restaurant with a Polynesian menu and tiki bar vibe. Took my girlfriend here for her birthday. Ordered a 2 person mai tai drink which was supposed to be boozy, but only tasted orange juice. $20 Appetizers were dried out, like they sat under a warming oven for hours. Sliced bbq pork was fatty and very dry. The ribs were also dry, so much that it felt like I was nibbling on jerky. The crab rangoon tasted like old tuna fish stuffed in a wonton with cream cheese. The prawns were completely saturated with oil. She had the wild salmon, which was incredibly fishy smelling/tasting. I'm from Oregon, for $30 I know what good salmon tastes like. I had the flank steak, which was decent. I enjoyed the wasabi mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Love, love, LOVE Trader Vic'sJeremyDined on 10/20/2014Trader Vic's is a great place. The atmosphere, the drinks and the good are all great. Every time I'm in town, I'll stop here. You must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Bar and happy hour are great. Dinner pricing is high; so did not use that menu.Special Features:
- Nightmare in the PearlShBlrDined on 10/10/2014We were greeted warmly and led to a tight corner table for two. Next to us was a table of loud and abnoxious people. When we failed to hear each other over the loud laughter from the adjacent table and the loud music, we asked to be moved. The staff was very obliging but the ongoing noise level from the band and previous table made for a nightmare dining experience . The food was average although the staff was commendable. I will never be able to convince my guest from out of town to ever dine at this establishment again.
- Great food, pricey, poor ambiance.SWPortlanderDined on 10/4/2014My daughter asked to go there for her birthday, as she'd heard about their fun drinks (and she knew Dad would pay). The service was friendly, although it was hard to hear the server over the noisy interior on a Saturday night. Food and drinks were excellent. But the tiki-torch setting was off-putting, and the table settings (due to the oddly shaped tables) were too far apart for the six of us to converse readily. The bill was exorbitant given the quality of the setting. We are unlikely to go there again.Special Features:
- Trader VIC's Portland, ORTeddyDined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent, from hostess, waitress and floor staff, moderately crowded. Had an Anniversary dinner there and was food was excellent. Fresh Ahi Poke was perfect very fresh and tasted great. The wood fired oven Salmon was cooked perfectly. Size of portions was just right for Dinner. The Chef even stopped by to check on us. For a chain restaurant we were very pleasantly surprised and pleased. Will be going back.
- Trader Vic's - Great FoodGreatNightGreatFoodDined on 9/25/2014Wife and I went to Trader Vic's for a special (birthday) night out and it didn't let us down. Food was great & service was great (very quick). Look forward to getting back to Trader Vic's.Special Features:
- Not HappyLovedessert2Dined on 9/23/2014We've eaten @ T V's in other cities. Looking forward to a great experience & amazing food. Our calamari was under cooked & no sauce. Asked what chef special & fish of day were. Waiter said there is a banquet & we don't have either tonight. We order, I walked to restroom past a group of 15 people eating dinner. The rest of building had 2 guys @ bar & 14 diners including us. My husbands filet was perfectly grilled. My salmon was over cooked it sat under heat lamps. Not sure why the lack of proper meal prep. We wanted dessert to take back to hotel. Waiter said the only togo was pineapple upside-down cake. Neither of us wanted it. Just not a good choice for dinner in a town full of great places. Dessert was Voo Doo Donuts, yum on our walk back.
- Good for special occasion diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Menu selection is good and can be compared to same priced restaurants. Our selections of Braised beef short ribs and Orange marmalade duck were well prepared and tasted good, however, the taste is different from what we had before at other restaurants. Overall I recommend it as a special occasion restaurant due to the prices.Special Features:
- Great Service and Food!AnneSDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant does not have the traditional hawaiin plate with Kahlua Pork and Macaroni Salad - it is a more gourmet and upscale cuisine perfect for a fun night out. Great atmosphere with Tiki theme and fun cocktails! Would definitely come back the next time I am in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti LiteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I was in Tahiti last year, Trader Vic's had just enough of that look to remind me of those great days. Food is good, drinks are good (could be a tad stronger for the cost), and the staff was comforting.Special Features:
- Virtual tropicsllidenDined on 8/26/2014Our group had a terrific time at Trader Vic's. The appetizers and Mai Tais are awesome, and services was spot-on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in the summer with no windows!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Food was OK - nothing really stood out - we had crab Rangoon, edamame, ginger-crusted salmon, reef and beef and the peach pork chop, followed by the triple chocolate mousse. Service was slow - our waiter disappeared for long periods of time. Drinks were great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly livelyOutandaboutDined on 8/22/2014Went there on a Friday evening and it was busy. The waiter was very friendly to us and was able to tell us in detail about what we were ordering and make suggestions based on what I told him I was looking for. Which I must say, he made the right ones, food was amazing. The only odd item I found about the food was: Why would you serve hot chicken over/ with cold noodles? Seemed out of place but my girlfriend said that's what it's supposed to be. Sitting near the bar as expected it was busy but not too much. Just meant our empty plates were removed not long after we finished the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your father's TraderTikiTikiDined on 8/22/2014Decor is fabulous Tiki! Really! Service was friendly but intermittent. Drinks were well-iced. The potstickers had a faint fishy aroma that wasn't strong enough to seem intentional. My salmon with wasabi mashed potatoes was very good, but while one side of the wife's porkchop was succulent, the other was overcooked and dry. Toothpicks were abundant. Windows were opened, so lots of traffic noise. The bar band - one guy with a very appropriate repertoire, good voice, and genuine hand-made music - was too loud for us in the dining room. Sigh. Went home slightly disappointed given our memories of the Vic's as it used to be at the Benson.
- mehneedscheeseDined on 8/16/2014We quickly got the feeling that this place was best for happy hour and bar food. I ordered a mai thai and I was told it was good (never had one before) I also got scallops. The scallops themselves were pretty bland and chewy. My rice was super chewy too. My boyfriend ordered the pork chop and was just unimpressed. We also got the creme brullee and the top had so much sugar that it was more like eating glass than a tasty crust.Special Features:
- Yummy Drinks!PDXerDined on 8/6/2014I found the food to be just 'ok' for the price. The presentation and the ambiance were really fun and the Mai Tai was incredibly yummy!Special Features:
- Fun eveningSweetheartDined on 7/18/2014Very fun to visit this updated iconic restaurant. A good time for a small group of friends. Loved being by the open window (the weather was cooperating that night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant eveningMiloVIPDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed the beef & reef and the duck on the deck next to the rail in the warm evening. Great for people watching. The pineapple upside was very tasty. The food, wine, and service were very good. A good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly ordinary experiencecurwenVIPDined on 7/10/2014We ate there early (before the theater, at around 5) but didn't realize until later that we weren't offered the happy hour menu - and they make a big deal about having the best happy hour on their website. Food was OK, beer selection seemed a little limited, service was good but, given the number of choices in downtown Portland, we probably wont be back.
- The following 479 reviews are from the Trader Vic's reviews archive.
- Gradutation dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Brought the grandparents and other family members to Trader Vic's for a graduation/birthday dinner. Excellent menu options, fun drinks, and friendly wait staff. Very reasonable prices. Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- Poorly Run EstablishmentHackDined on 6/19/2014Sat outside at tables on the street as pedestrians walked by. Took waiter several minutes to come and take the drink order. Took another 20 minutes to bring back drinks even though the bar and the restaurant were not crowded. Finished drinks and moved inside to find out if another waiter (Jesse) was equally incompetent. Jesse turned out to be much more efficient and personable as was the hostess Samantha. The first waiter (Austin K) deserves a second mention: he appeared to be as poorly trained as they come. I watched him serve a couple in a similar fashion. Food and the unique drinks are still show stoppers. Would love to return for another meal but will wait until Trader Vic's puts together a sound and professional wait staff.Special Features:
- service issuecbglacierDined on 6/14/2014there must have been some confusion last Saturday night, they seemed to have forgotten us at our table more than once, both managers came by, helped but still our waiter was barely around all evening long & it didn't seem super busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect on a Beautiful PDX Eveninghappyhour2dayDined on 6/10/2014Great place to enjoy a drink and/or dinner outside! Even though it is a chain restaurant it feels very local to Portland and the Pearl.Special Features:
- FoodiesouthDined on 6/9/2014Service and atmosphere are very good. Food was good, just not outstanding. Prices are not too bad. The drinks are outstanding polynesian/Hawaiian speciality drinks. Go there for the fun, friendship and atmosphere, not for the gourmet cooking. Nobody in our party of 6 had a bad meal, but nobody raved about their food either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service took forever but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014We usually do not eat at chain restaurants buy Trader Vics actually has delicious food and drinks (minus the spare ribs) Everything else was delicious. The service does take FOREVER. The restaurant was not full and still too too long to get out meal our water refilled our check and our credit card back. But still would return as food was great and so were the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerspectiveRogerDined on 6/5/2014Over my 70+ years, I've visited several Trader Vic's restaurants: Seattle (Ben Franklin Hotel, closed), Chicago (Palmer House Hotel, closed), Chicago (located below a condo tower outside the Loop), Bellevue (closed), Vancouver, BC, and Portland. Seattle and Chicago (Palmer House) had the most atmosphere. Portland is unique in that the music and location are aimed at the younger crowd. Menu and drinks seem consistent between locations. We ate at the Portland Trader Vic's on a Thursday during Portland's Rose Festival. We should have allowed a half hour to find parking. Our reservation was honored, though we were late. There was much Rose Festival action nearby, with a street fair, "fleet week", a carnival, and street musicians.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Horsd'oeuvre were a huge disappointment; in years past Trader Vics was known for great drinks and Horsd'oeuvre. Not the case at this restuartant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/30/2014Very noisy., especially area open to the street. Service was slow.
- Poor serviceOregonianDined on 5/26/2014Arrived 20 min. Prior to reservation & was told they would not seat us until the exact time. Never asked for our name or where they could find us when our table was ready. Observed hostess seating other parties & had to approach hostess again to tell her where we were sitting in the bar. She finally seated us 10 minutes after our reservation. The happy hour drinks were great. Unfortunately the rest of the meal was down hill. They delivered 1appetizer short, a salad & 1 main entree. When questioned about our order they took it all back to the kitchen. 15 minutes later we got all our appetizers. Took forever for entrees to be served. Spent 2.5 hrs for an early dinner for 2, most of which was waiting for food that was not appetizing.
- Good and consistentBarbDined on 5/25/2014Our experiences at Trader Vic's have always been enjoyable and consistent. It was a little chilly and we asked our server if the large, open windows could be closed and he graciously agreed. Our server was attentive but he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the different menu items that contained soy......I have a soy allergy so it was very important to know this. But he did check with the kitchen about the specific foods we asked about so that was very helpful. Just seems that the servers should know the ingredients contents of each menu item. Other than that, we had an enjoyable time. We will return. The Mai Tais are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Magic is GoneAnonymousDined on 5/24/2014This new reincarnation of "Trader Vic's" It was a miserable and disappointing experience. Nothing like the real Trader Vic's which were all around magic. Nothing of that experience remains at the PDX re-creation of a faded Trader Vic's - a commercialized version for tourists-suckers like us. Luckily there are many genuine places to dine in the PDX Pearl District. We found one, started our meal all over and had our evening saved. Victor Bergeron is spinning in his grave.
- Nice EveningMaryMo2Dined on 5/24/2014I remember this restaurant from my childhood. We lived near Washington DC and this was our family celebration restaurant. The food was exotic when I was a child. The taste is now middle of the road for me, maybe a little to much on the sweet side. My husband loved his Flat iron steak, the wasabi potatoes, disappointing more like St Paddy's day potatoes. The bokchoy was very nice as a side. The Peking duck was disappointing, better if they called it 5 spice duck. Peking Duck is a completely different bird. Our waiter was incredible, he helped keep our evening pleasant. Curiously this is the second time after making a reservation on open table that I have gotten the worst table in the house. Reservations used to be best table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Date NightBettyKDined on 5/23/2014This was our first time at Trader Vic's and we had a great time. We arrived a bit before our reservation time so we sat in the bar and had a drink before dinner. With the tropical drinks and tiki decor it's easy to forget you are in Portland while sitting in the bar area. The food and service were both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable old school diningSuzyEatzDined on 5/15/2014It's hard not to enjoy a well-prepared Mai tai on a hot evening in town.I've been going to Trader Vic's for years and the trademark cocktails are little-changed. I was disappointed by the shortcuts with key menu items. The dinner salads shrunk and my favorite slow-smoked pork chop is a shadow of it's former glory. Darn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service33andCountingDined on 5/12/2014The bright spot: The food was pretty good. The Truth: The service was slow, poor or even non-existent. Truthfully, it was terrible.We had a 6:00 reservation. We got there shortly after 5. We ordered our drinks. Five minutes later, the bar waitress stops by again, without drinks. She asks us if we want an appetizer; we order calamari. Ten minutes later, the calamari arrives. No drinks. The calamari is consumed; still no drinks. Ask the waitress where our drinks are, she replies that they are just coming up(?). Later, a second round is ordered; this wait time was just as bad. Now we are seated at our table for dining. The dining service was just as bad. There are so many dining choices in Portland; why would I give this place another chance?
- Great food, very poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Great was awesome. But my waiter was terrible, with an attitude problem.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Dined for a special occasion. This place is great! I will definitely return. (This not my first visit). Great food & service well-timed and friendly. Great exotic drink selection & wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland foodNAncyDined on 5/11/2014From the whipped peanut butter with coconut served with bland lavosh bread to the gray "medium rare" roast beef...a very bad meal. They offered to replace my meal of over done roast beef ( the Mother's Day special) - which I did - with chicken lettuce cups. They were tasteless. The only redeeming quality was the crisp butter lettuce. The atmosphere was very "tiki" - perhaps a bit overdone - and loud. The wait staff were very nice but had too many tables to allow for attentive service. The place is very, very difficult to maneuver for the handicap. My father - using a walker - had a tough time from door to table - a long distance when one cannot use the steps at the front of the restaurant. I will not return or recommend.
- Mother's Day BrunchWJL1Dined on 5/11/2014Vic's special-occasion brunches are great! Food matches many high dollar competitors but in a fun and relaxed environment. Great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.