255 Courtland Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tradervicsatl.com/
- Phone: 4042216339
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Cheing Phour
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Join Atlanta's only Exoctica Band - Tongo-Hiti every Thursday as we celebrate Mai Tai Thursdays. Mai Tai's priced at $6 all night.
A word from Trader Vic's
Trader Vic's is a Polynesian theme restaurant with exotic drink flavors served from the Mai Tai Lounge. The cuisine features fantastic fare from Singapore, Samoa, Shanghai & points west. Reflecting cuisines from around the world, Trader Vic's offers continental dishes, smoked-oven-roasted specialty meats & fish in the "Roti" tradition (never exposed to open flame) from Chinese wood-fired ovens plus classic wok presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trader Vic's reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)good for groups (34)romantic (20)fit for foodies (16)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great good and serviceMcgunnDined on 9/13/2014Very relaxing atmosphere I love eating here the food and service is always great we eat a couple times a year sometimes at the bar area for a quick bite and a Mai tai and sometimes we come for a fun dinner but we always enjoy it very muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oksmokeyDined on 9/6/2014We were disappointed in the food for the price. Would not go backSpecial Features:
- Kitschy charm, cuisine a minusnkouragedDined on 8/31/2014I assume that when a place with this reputation has a short menu, it makes up for the deficiency of variety with the excellence of its menu items. However, I was less than wowed by the entrees my group ordered. But first....sampler platter (a double portion of Cosmo Tidbits for two) was a mixed bag: ribs were delicate, crab rangoon a little too fragile, breaded prawns unremarkable, egg rolls an outright disappointment. I ordered the Imperial Beef, less than majestic in flavor. I've had Chinese take-out way better than this. The sauce soaked through everything, obscuring the taste of the beef and vegetables; everything was soggy, with even the bok choy providing very little crunch Our desserts and drinks were amazing. Overall, a C for $.Special Features:
- BlechdhamrickDined on 8/31/2014The hotel has taken over the kitchen perhaps? As usual hotel food is awful. Frid rice? More like greased rice.Special Features:
- Service was appallingUnhappyDined on 8/30/2014Longstanding reservation during very busy convention week. We expected a crowd and some impact on service but our server was mind-bogglingly slow. Another table of our size seated after us was served food before we had our cocktails and had finished before our food orders were taken. We probably would have order another round of drinks, possibly even dessert but we were never given a chance. After asking for our check FOUR times it still took 20 minutes to get and the server dropped the bill and disappeared even though I had a credit card in my hand when he gave me the bill. Food was ok. Company was good. Won't go backSpecial Features:
- Much improved. Lots of funKspecialDined on 8/30/2014We came here to meet friends at dragoncon last year and it was a disaster. This year, they were ready. Great bar scene, friendly staff. Yummy rum drinks! Great job. I think this is our new dragoncon traditionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DragonCon DiningJim1JoDined on 8/30/2014We were smart and used open table to make a reservation ahead of time and had a great time. The food was AMAZING! The drinks were BEYOND amazing. They had such a big cocktail menu with great variety as well. Most restaurants downtown are a mad house with bad service during labor day weekend this is definitely a new favorite of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but not the last!MtnBikerDined on 8/30/2014We were in town for DragonCon and just had to go since it was right there downtown. We had SUCH a lovely time. Our server treated us like family (the kind you actually like) and the food was everything we had been lead to expect. We even bought commemorative "coconut" mugs to use at home. THANK YOU TRADER VICS!! ^_^Special Features:
- Always fun to visitRVAfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Everytime we go to Atlanta we eat at Trader Vics. I love the Tiki atmosphere. The service was a little slow this time. They seemed understaffed for a weekend with a huge convention in town. The menu was pared down a bit too (not sure if that was bc of the con) but I miss having the mixed grill option that I'd had in the past (I think it was salmon and steak).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRAGONCON MUSTMellieDined on 8/29/2014We come here every year for Dragon Con and usually enjoy the experience. The waitress this year just seemed out of it, must of been an off night for her. She dropped water on my handsome date, did not know the menu nor the specials, the "lava" dessert had no lava and then did not bring us back our credit card after paying. This is NOT the typical service we receive here, but it was the service we received this time. Waitress only offered apologies, and never asked if we wanted a new dessert made the correct way. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A time capsule from the Tiki heydayPotus32Dined on 8/29/2014There aren't many of the old Tiki palaces left (from the heyday of the Tiki craze of the 50s & 60s)--but this one is a real gem! The food is superb (we had the pupu platter, salmon, and scallops--ALL were outstanding); the drinks are legendary (their Mai-Tai really DOES live up to the hype); and the ambience is the sort of throwback (mildly kitschy) fun that has become hard to find! There are only 3 Trader Vics remaining in the United States (the other two are both on the West Coast)--so we are really privileged to have one in Atlanta still! Long may it prosper; let's do all that we can to make it so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, so so foodllallen1113Dined on 8/28/2014I usually go to Trader Vic's the Thursday before DragonCon officially starts. This year, the dinner menu was cut to 2 pages, and the selections were meh. I had the Volcano shrimp, and it was decent, but not outstanding. The service has been extremely slow the last 2 years as well. The drinks our a whole different story. The Mai Tais and Menehune Juice are awesome! We will come back for the drinks, maybe skip the dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great serviceKittyprdDined on 8/23/2014The food is always great. The Cosmo tidbits for two is our go to appetizer. Plan to get dessert. The chocolate lava cake is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New Trader Vic'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014I felt that their menu was limited. Many of their dishes were hot and spicy. Only the Pu Pu platter (delicious) was what I would expect to find in a Polynesian restaurant but they seem to have gotten away from that type of food. My rack of lamb was excellent and my husband's chicken was good, just not what we were looking for at Trader Vic's. I used to go to Trader Vic's in the basement of the Plaza in NYC in the sixties as well as the one in Chicago. I have been to the one in Boston in the seventies, San Francisco and Honolulu in the eighties. All are gone now. In the nineties and currently Atlanta where the menu shrinks each time/ currently is only two pages, one page of entrees. Its food is more like the farm to table craze.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The one thing lacking for the ambiance was music to fit the scene.
- 16 August 2014MrCouperDined on 8/16/2014This is a really unique restaurant. Try one of the wood fired menu items. The Scallops and Pork were both amazing. They have a fun cocktail menu as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time favoriteTraderVicDined on 8/1/2014We've been going to Trader Vic's for 20 years. The ambience is great, the drinks are fantastic. The menu has changed since we were there last. Menu is more simplified. But, some of my favorites are no longer on the menu (Bongo Bongo Soup). More of a South Asian fare now than a Southeast Asian like it used to be. Still good, though.Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyThfjustinDined on 7/26/2014Food was delicious. Could not have asked for better. A little expensive though and rather small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat theme, but underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2014Dined on a Wednesday night, and the place was about empty. To start, after waiting by an empty host stand for a while, we had to wander past the host stand to the bar to let the staff know that we were waiting to be greeted and seated. There were a handful of other parties in the restaurant, but our party of 4 was seated in a back room that had no one else seated (and at least 20 empty tables in the room). This empty room was uncomfortably quiet (not at all the experience we were expecting of a tiki bar), and at times we could go a while without seeing a staff member - which made it a challenge to order. A good option for those who like tropical / fruity drinks, but I'd recommend going on a weekend when perhaps it's less empty.
- Once a YearLovetoeatDined on 7/12/2014As always Trader Vic's was a pleasure to visit. They have changed the menu however and unless you are ready to spend a fortune, you need to stick with the appetizers. We had the variety appetizer and an egg roll and called that our dinner. The drinks are wonderful and they are not stingy with the alcohol. I have three teenage boys and would consider bringing them only for a special birthday as they would order appetizers, dinner entre and dessert. Although the menu is much easier to read, I would still like to have seen a few dinners less than $25.00. Will plan to return again next year knowing that it is appetizers for me!Special Features:
- get your Tiki on!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Love Trader Vic's. Drinks and atmosphere always awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun decor, food not very goodKentDined on 7/10/2014The food was BAD! and the management had attitude. The serving staff was okSpecial Features:
- So-sojackieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Trader Vic's was open for food early evening July 4 so they get points for that. Drinks were small (seriously, a cocktail of 4 oz?), food not horrendously overpriced considering attachment to a downtown conference-heavy hotel. Nothing special tho. Morel dish tasty but tiny, Asian slaw best part of crab cake dish, spare ribs dry and lacking flavour, asparagus nicely done. Very limited options for vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free diets. I feel for the wait staff in their seriously outdated costumes... #fashionfail right there. It felt jaded overall - fixtures, fashions and food. I wouldn't eat there again...
- Gemdrc82Dined on 6/18/2014A hidden gem in the Hilton. Cozy bar and good food.Special Features:
- Meh.Speedracer2099Dined on 6/14/2014For the money I expected more. Ordered the Steak and it was not good. Only good thing was the tropical drinks.
- Sure, why not?OriginalRobboDined on 6/7/2014Skates successfully along the border of kitsch. Drinks taken very seriously, food very well prepared, service quite professional. Looks like an easy place to make fun of, but when we stood up... turns out we'd had a very nice meal. The food came first, not the marketing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!SatisfiedsammyDined on 6/7/2014I wasn't expecting anything other than a themed tourist trap Trader Vic's is my husbands favorite restaraunt but it was my first trip the food, drinks and service were excellent and the Polynesian decor makes you feel like you are somewhere tropical instead of in downtown Atlanta. The filet mignon was probably the best I have every eaten! The General Manager Jason was super nice and gave me an awesome tiki mug to surprise my husband. I will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Very FriendlyJillGDined on 6/4/2014The staff here were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a drink at the bar (extensive drink list) and the bartender helped us select a drink. The wait staff helped us figure out what to order and the food was very good. Would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:
- Pricey!!TrustDined on 5/30/2014This place has the best appetizers and for a reasonable price but the entree's are way too expensive and just ok nothing like the price makes it seem. Also for a Friday night it was a very dead scene. I would not recommend this place if you are from out of town looking to party or mingle.
- A Lively Thurs Spot in D/T AtlantaHunger4TheCupVIPDined on 5/29/2014As much as the downtown Atlanta scene is pretty barren, this place is great on Thursday nights as the live bands add a nice touch. This Trader Vic's is not unlike many of the others in the country, aside from perhaps being smaller (although I didn't see the entire place, so I may have missed something), but it's a great departure from the typical Atlanta environment...and there's always their epic list of elaborate drinks to try out. Sad it took me this long to realize there was a Trader Vic's in town...but yay for OpenTable.Special Features:
- it's about the drinksghastyDined on 5/29/2014Yes, it's about the drinks at Trader Vic's...nice big drinks! Food is pretty good with limited selection but service is usually very slow...but more time to have another drink I guessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!PaulaDined on 5/23/2014The food was amazing! We tried several things but the filet and the wok spinach were my favorites. The bananas foster was good too. The service was outstanding. We will definitely go back when in the area. Not fond of the Atlanta Hilton but will go back for this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 426 reviews are from the Trader Vic's reviews archive.
- Not as good as the first timeNnh1213Dined on 5/9/2014We celebrated Mother's Day a bit early this year. We had dinner on Friday night, May 9th. The restaurant did not disappoint as usual when it came to the drinks, they have just enough kick but taste great! The food was tasty but service was so slow!! Also didn't appreciate having to pay $18 for valet!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014World's best rum cocktails - don't go if you don't like rumSpecial Features:
- First time heredanaDined on 5/1/2014Great ambience, great service, great food and a great band too. Thanks for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Trader Vic's a GemLakeCookDined on 4/29/2014Great food, one of a kind. If you've not very been, you must go.Special Features:
- Awesome times, always!RayrayVIPDined on 4/22/2014This place is the best restaurant in downtown Atlanta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Trader Vic's!!!!!Nicky921Dined on 4/17/2014We chose TV's for a coworker's birthday celebration because he had never been and he had just moved to the area. We had a fantastic time! The Mai Tais were AMAZING as always, the food was awesone and the bananas foster was phenomenal. I love it that they make it right at your table!Special Features:
- WeekendAtlantaon11Dined on 4/5/2014Food was overpriced and not that good! Didn't have full menu that was listed on the website.
- Love Trader Vic's!diner24Dined on 4/4/2014Awesome place! Love their Mai Tais and the ambience!I would recommend this to a friend.