Trace - W - Austin
200 Lavaca Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Trace - W - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.traceaustin.com/
- Phone: 5125423660x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:30am - 10:30am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm. Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lawrence Kocurek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music during Saturday and Sunday Brunch
A word from Trace - W - Austin
A journey for the avid culinary enthusiast, Trace is an enriching and authentic experience of the senses, capturing the character and personality of the locale. Our cuisine with a conscience is foraged, farmed, crafted, hunted and shared utilizing the freshest, peak-of-the-season local and regional ingredients, supporting sustainable, renewable and organic food and beverage products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Trace - W - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Trace - W - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)special occasion (36)fit for foodies (31)great for brunch (26)romantic (22)hot spot (21)great for lunch (18)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (7)scenic view (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Fun experiencemrswDined on 8/25/2014Made a reservation and stopped by before an ACL taping. The happy hour menu was a great deal and our waitress was very sensitive to our time crunch. The goat sandwich was one of the best things I have tasted in quite a long time - order two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inviting and inventiveAwesomeAustinDinerDined on 8/23/2014Second time there. Dined early on a Saturday night -- was empty inside when we arrived at 5:45 pm (some were braving the 100-degree heat to dine/drink al fresco in shaded area next to the sidewalk) but full when we left two hours later. More a destination dining locale than a hotel restaurant. Limited menu but intriguing selections for food and wine. Emphasis on freshness and quality, not quantity. Great service. Wife did not much like the squid-ink pasta with crab entree -- unusual flavor and too-fishy for her. My mixed game grill was not your everyday mixed grill and was perfect. Wonderful desserts. Definitely worth a trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TxDocVIPDined on 8/3/2014It was an excellent brunch. Excellent service. Excellent food. The ambiance was great. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Do!ClkcrnaDined on 7/30/2014Don't miss this eclectic and fun dining spot. Perfect for dinner before ACL concert. Really made the effort to accommodate our vegan/vegetarian requests!Special Features:
- Magical night outJlbg5Dined on 7/18/2014Trace provided wonderful indoor or outdoor dining. The menu was diverse and playful featuring local, seasonal ingredients in creative presentation. Our server Zane was attentive and very knowledgeable about menu options and ingredients. Dessert was shockingly complex and delicious; it was an amazing end to a memorable meal. Next time, I will attempt to save room to explore the dessert menu more thoroughly.Special Features:
- Trace ReviewRoccoRonzoniDined on 7/13/2014Very good food. Nice presentation. A special place. Pricey, but as fine restaurants tend to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real PleasuredavidDined on 7/11/2014We go to Trace two or three times a year. It is invariably a joy. The service is impeccable. The food delicious and surprising. The staff all friendly. It is the kind of place that is high end but makes you feel as comfortable and relaxed as a friendly neighborhood restaurant might. But it's a friendly neighborhood place in the first floor of the W Hotel! with ACL minutes away! Trace creates a base to experience the excitement of the downtown scene from a relaxed, earthy, yet very elegant perspective.Special Features:
- Not too shabbyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Took my wife here for her birthday dinner...her and I were very pleased with the service and the food. The wine list is a little pricey, but the beer list isn't, so it evened out quite nicely. For tasteful decor, as well.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Michelle was our sever she was great made awesome wine suggestions and made our anniversary special!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BreakfastRachelDined on 6/28/2014didn't realize at first it was part of the W Hotel. Ambiance was clean and modern, but still fun. Service and food were impeccable.Special Features:
- Small menu, but can't go wrongpurgatori1Dined on 6/15/2014We went for brunch, and noted that there were really only 6 choices for the meal part of the meal. But considering ALL OF THEM were awesome, this is definitely a case of less is more. The green chorizo dish was crazy good, as was the brisket omelette. Enjoy a bloody mary (the first one was free), as those are also fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Great FindvincentvanvinhDined on 6/5/2014the food portions are on the smaller (non Texas) sized, but that's OK it tasted great! Our server Jenna was awesome, and I don't know what people were referring to with it being slow. I found her to be attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- First Try was a Five StarAustinWriterGirlDined on 6/4/2014We won a gift certificate donated to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, so gave Trace a try. We sat inside, although we saw folks outside on the patio enjoying drinks. Our server was congenial and efficient. In fact, other servers also came by to assist. We were there early, dining on a pre-theater schedule. This was handled easily at that hour. The entrees were excellent. Hubby ordered the lamb; I ordered the black drum. No time for desserts, but we enjoyed fab cappuccinos. All around, our first experience was fully five star. One complaint: Valet parking was an absolute ZOO out front. This caused a delay, and we were almost late for the theater. Not the restaurant's fault, however. We'll be back for other pre-symphony or pre-theater dinners.Special Features:
- Great Business LunchATXERVIPDined on 6/2/2014Trace is a great spot for a business location. Easy access with city parking or valet parking. Food and service was excellent. Server was attentive without being too intrusive to our meeting. I selected the location and my guests were very impressed with with the food and service.Special Features:
- Just OkClayDined on 5/30/2014The food was ok. The restaurant was super hard to find. The kale salad was terrible.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere; great foodiLo823VIPDined on 5/28/2014Atmosphere and vibe of restaurant is very fun and lively. I liked the very openness of the restaurant and the outdoor option, although I sat inside looking outdoors. Organic chicken with au jus was awesome - great flavor - and pairing with arugula and shallots was very good. Highly recommend this as a healthy option. Service was very good. Definitely would come here again when in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satfbfanDined on 5/27/2014Word of mouth took me here for a business dinner. Couldn't have been more impressed. From the service to the food everything was top notch. Add to that sitting outside on at the patio dining on a perfect Austin evening, it couldn't have been better. My client left feeling he'd been treated to one of Austin's finest gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably wonderfulHappydinerDined on 5/21/2014This is my third time for lunch, and I've been there several times for dinner. It has become one of Austin's treasures. Love it.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week MenugvrbaVIPDined on 5/18/2014Enjoyed our visit during Restaurant Week. Food, service, and ambiance were very nice. Located in the W Hotel ground floor.Special Features:
- Great food but service was lackingknittergorDined on 5/18/2014I went with three friends to try Trace's brunch menu during restaurant week. Overall, the food was delicious but our service put a damper on our experience. For one, we ordered an additional dessert that never came. Our request for more mimosas was never fulfilled, and they only came back once to refill our water glasses. When our pre-fixe desserts came, we had no silverware to eat them with and there was no one in sight for almost ten minutes to ask for spoons. When I finally found someone to ask, they brought the spoons and thunked them all on my plate, intending for me to serve the spoons to my friends. We are suspicious that the bad service was in part because we were enjoying the (cheaper) restaurant week menu. We will not be returningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Trace is a lovely restaurant with an open patio and it is very busy at brunch. It was hard to get in and out of my chair as it was so crowded. It was also really loud. We went for restaurant week and it means a lot that Trace participated! The eggs benedict would have been perfect except that the pork belly was so salty. It made every bite taste like salt even when I scraped it off. The croque madame was much better because the ham did not have as much salt. The béchamel was amazing and the bread was rustic and perfect. This is a nice restaurant but my husband and I will probably not go back just on our own. This is a great place to take visitors to see downtown and have a special meal.Special Features:
- Disappointing brunchveggiegirlDined on 5/18/2014We ate at Trace on our 28th anniversary expecting something special and festive. We knew that is was restaurant week but the server did not offer us the restaurant week menu. Our food took a long time to come out of the kitchen and was cold when it arrived. We sent it back and the second time it was oversalted. We also received the wrong desserts. The couple sitting next to us waited 20 minutes for scrambled eggs. Ridiculous considering it was early and the restaurant was not busy. Beautiful space but below average food and service.Special Features:
- Where's the...crab?SeniorSupportVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great service & fun cocktail list for the adventurous! We tried a mix of the cheese and charcuterie boards. Nice selection, but looked like tiny pretend food. The entrees were equally minisule & expensive. I ordered an ink pasta with blue crab, and there were literally unrecognizeable flakes of crab meat on the hotdog-sized twist of pasta. I sent it back, & received a new bowl with maybe 2 bites of crab. The manager was very nice and comped the entree and offered us a Texas wine to try on the house. We also split 2 desserts ( 3 of us) -- an amazing fried candy bar and a delicious chocolate mint choice. Nevertheless, we left hungry & I felt ill the rest of the night, possibly allergic to the ink in the pasta. No Texas-sized meal here!Special Features:
- Pleasurable Dining but no DDDrunkenDoughnutsRgoneDined on 5/16/2014Pleasant atmosphere during lunch. Staff are friendly and food is good. But desert is not the same as it was when Janina O'Leary was there. We miss her Drunken Doughnuts. But we found her at laV on east 7th in front of the State Seminary. So life is good again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAustinhipDined on 5/14/2014We had the prix fixe menu for restaurant week and enjoyed all three courses. Excellently prepared and presented. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Sit OutsideccaffeyDined on 5/11/2014My daughter took me here for the Mother's Day brunch. The food and service were great. The only issue I had was a discrepancy between some menu prices and the bill, but they didn't charge us for the items in error and appreciated me pointing it out, so I was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 440 reviews are from the Trace - W - Austin reviews archive.
- Good1234Dined on 5/3/2014Exceptional! The food and service were great. We will return. Can't say much for the bar before going into the Trace. There are just ottomans to sit on - no chairs, very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Brunch was FunlivetodineDined on 5/3/2014Staff was very accommodating for our large party with many options. Loved the fun lively atmosphere. Service was prompt and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerCassielou2Dined on 5/1/2014We had the lamb and redfish. They we outstanding. We really enjoyed ourselves. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, average serviceJorieDined on 4/30/2014We enjoyed the ambiance and the food, but the service was very disappointing. Our server was polite, but very slow.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendslunchDined on 4/28/2014It was nice place to eat with friends. The waiter really needs help in learning how to wait tables.
- Always DependableCraigMDined on 4/26/2014Dining at Trace is always a great experience. The food is delicious and the service is attentive, without being annoying. Staff are well-trained, knowledgeable and very helpful, with an engaging, relaxing environment. You can't go wrong at Trace.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedBitsyATXDined on 4/25/2014We went for an anniversary dinner and were underwhelmed. The scallops and black drum were good- as a former New Orleans resident, I have high standards for those dishes. Our server was unfamiliar with the menu and unfamiliar with gluten free options, which was particularly disappointing as the good reviews on Find Me Gluten Free were one of the reasons we chose Trace. They have no gluten free dessert options on the menu. The wine list was unimpressive- most is available at Whole Foods or Twin Liquors. For the money, I can do much better in Austin.Special Features:
- First time at Trace-W-AustinJPMackDined on 4/24/2014Our first time at Trace was a wonderful experience. Our waiter and service was awesome and the atmosphere was delightful. It was quite nice getting up from a great dinner and walking next door to the Moody Theater for a concert. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service slowaustinmodhouseVIPDined on 4/23/2014Creative food with fresh ingredients, great drinks and beautiful location. Service is usually good, but absent on a recent experience.Special Features:
- Great food and waiterfoodieDined on 4/23/2014My husband had the bacon cheeseburger and said it was excellent. I had the black drum and loved it. It was perfertly done and had cubed potatoes, chorizo with it. Since it was my birthday, the waiter comped us two desserts. Yummy! We certainly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch4fordinnerDined on 4/20/2014The menu for Easter brunch was very limited, 4 choices for the main meal, 3 of them meat options and one spinach crab Benedict dish(very heavy sauce), the appetizer choice was one tiny crab cake that was not good, or plain yogurt with a tiny bit of fruit and granola. The 3rd part of the meal was two desert options. We paid 55 dollars apiece, 240.00 for a family of 4(they charged for the mimosa) and none of us liked the food or even the choices, we all wanted a breakfast type choice. My 18 year old son tried to eat the crab dish but just could not stomach it. The service was very slow, and it was a very disappointing brunch.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Service is always excellent. Wish there had been more breakfast type options on the brunch menu. It was a little on the heavy dinner type entree side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch needs eggs on the menu!CBurnettVIPDined on 4/20/2014Easter brunch menu, specifically. For $55/head eggs should be on the brunch menu. We ordered off the regular menu which is usually great, but the kitchen wasn't prepared for that so the food was not the same as it usually is. This particular visit was less fabulous than our many other visits. It won't deter us from coming back- we love the Manager, Christopher, and the staff- they are really great. The food is usually great. This Easter Brunch menu without a single egg (or pancake or waffle offering) was just weird and not to our liking. Lesson learned! See you soon, Trace!Special Features:
- Decent yet disappointingrjstanfordDined on 4/16/2014We went to Trace before the Pet Shop Boys concert (been several times before), and while there was nothing terribly bad about our meal, I expect more for $140. The food was good, but not great, and our waiter seemed to disappear as the meal progressed. Drink refills took 15 minutes, and after appetizers and entrees we didn't have time for dessert and coffee because the meal had already taken 90 minutes. I generally expect better things here.Special Features: