Trace - W - Austin
200 Lavaca Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Trace - W - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.traceaustin.com/
- Phone: 5125423660x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:30am - 10:30am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm. Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lawrence Kocurek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music during Saturday and Sunday Brunch
A word from Trace - W - Austin
A journey for the avid culinary enthusiast, Trace is an enriching and authentic experience of the senses, capturing the character and personality of the locale. Our cuisine with a conscience is foraged, farmed, crafted, hunted and shared utilizing the freshest, peak-of-the-season local and regional ingredients, supporting sustainable, renewable and organic food and beverage products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Trace - W - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Trace - W - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (22)hot spot (18)good for groups (16)romantic (15)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- disappointedFood4thoughtDined on 10/16/2014At this price I don't think I'll ever come back. Just really poor execution and bland, flavorless food. The 3 butters appetizer we started with was so so, the carrot "butter" was tasty, but the other 2 were unremarkable. Then my main.. never had a 24hr braised short rib so flavorless. It was even dry if you can believe that. Just thoroughly unimpressed. There are just too many good places to eat in Austin for a restaurant charging these type of prices to be allowed to remain open. Confirmed my worst stereotypes of the W.. facile, appearance driven, and thoroughly without depth or flavor. NOT AUSTIN WORTHY
- Always a winner!Murt4VIPDined on 10/12/2014Brunch at Trace is always great, one of my favorites in town!Special Features:
- visit to AustinBlissDined on 10/8/2014I was looking for a quiet place to have a business dinner. The later it got, the noiser it got. If it hadn't been so warm, we would have eaten on the outside patio where it seemed quieter. The menu options seemed limited and portions were small for the price. But what we did have was very well prepared and presented. At times the server disappeared and had to ask for assistance from other staff. Not planning to return to this restaurant despite the convenient downtown locationSpecial Features:
- Downtown HappinessoffdiscVIPDined on 9/30/2014Great Food, good scene, in the W hotel -- nice surprise for a "hotel" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left a Trace in my mindDragonwolfDined on 9/27/2014I came here with a group of four on a Saturday evening at 6:15. We were going to a movie at the Violet Crown two blocks away at 7:25 which we notified our server. We were able to get apps and enjoy our mains with out rushing before having to leave. That was great because I knew were cutting it close. The I had the snapper and it was just okay nothing to write home about. My boyfriend had the braised short rib and that was incredible. I think I ate half of his. They didn't have the bottle of wine we wanted which was a disappointment but we made do with something comparable. Service was very good.Special Features:
- It was our 5th wedding anniversaryFerchavez81Dined on 9/19/2014Everyone was very friendly, the wither help us by shooting the video with my iPhone of the lament when I gave a ring I bought for my wife, and then they surprise us with an extra detail in one of the dessert plates that says Happy 5th Anniversary! That was really good. I strongly recommend Trace.Special Features:
- A nery nice evening ....foodie4everDined on 9/19/2014We dined at Trace for the first time this past weekend. Very enjoyable experience. Service was outstanding (thanks Micah)!! The ambiance was about what you'd expect for a downtown Austin hotel with a restaurant at street level. Great for people watching! The menu is not vast, but has a lot of variety. We shared three appetizers (carpaccio, Hamachi crudo, and crab cakes), which were all excellent. Just the right amount fr two to share. The split the wild game trio entrée, antelope loin, venison sausage, and wild boar chili: all very good. Nice wine selection, even by the glass. A VERY enjoyable dinner ... a place will put on our "will go back to" list ...Special Features:
- DisappointinghookemDined on 9/12/2014Very excited to go to Trace, booked through Open Table. Confusion at the hostess stand with our reservation. Brought to our somewhat crowded seat near a door - saw much nicer booths available but assumed they must be reserved - nope, they sat empty all night. Very few people at the restaurant overall which we thought odd for a Friday night. Service was fine, once we actually were served about 12 minutes after sitting down. Food was fine - nothing to rave about. We were at Arro the week before and this does not even compare. Not good value for the price and ambiance was strange - very bright lighting when we arrived around 9 pm which eventually was dimmed and almost empty restaurant. Too many other great choices in Austin to return, sorry!
- Fun experiencemrswDined on 8/25/2014Made a reservation and stopped by before an ACL taping. The happy hour menu was a great deal and our waitress was very sensitive to our time crunch. The goat sandwich was one of the best things I have tasted in quite a long time - order two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inviting and inventiveAwesomeAustinDinerDined on 8/23/2014Second time there. Dined early on a Saturday night -- was empty inside when we arrived at 5:45 pm (some were braving the 100-degree heat to dine/drink al fresco in shaded area next to the sidewalk) but full when we left two hours later. More a destination dining locale than a hotel restaurant. Limited menu but intriguing selections for food and wine. Emphasis on freshness and quality, not quantity. Great service. Wife did not much like the squid-ink pasta with crab entree -- unusual flavor and too-fishy for her. My mixed game grill was not your everyday mixed grill and was perfect. Wonderful desserts. Definitely worth a trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TxDocVIPDined on 8/3/2014It was an excellent brunch. Excellent service. Excellent food. The ambiance was great. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Do!ClkcrnaDined on 7/30/2014Don't miss this eclectic and fun dining spot. Perfect for dinner before ACL concert. Really made the effort to accommodate our vegan/vegetarian requests!Special Features:
- Magical night outJlbg5Dined on 7/18/2014Trace provided wonderful indoor or outdoor dining. The menu was diverse and playful featuring local, seasonal ingredients in creative presentation. Our server Zane was attentive and very knowledgeable about menu options and ingredients. Dessert was shockingly complex and delicious; it was an amazing end to a memorable meal. Next time, I will attempt to save room to explore the dessert menu more thoroughly.Special Features:
- Trace ReviewRoccoRonzoniDined on 7/13/2014Very good food. Nice presentation. A special place. Pricey, but as fine restaurants tend to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real PleasuredavidDined on 7/11/2014We go to Trace two or three times a year. It is invariably a joy. The service is impeccable. The food delicious and surprising. The staff all friendly. It is the kind of place that is high end but makes you feel as comfortable and relaxed as a friendly neighborhood restaurant might. But it's a friendly neighborhood place in the first floor of the W Hotel! with ACL minutes away! Trace creates a base to experience the excitement of the downtown scene from a relaxed, earthy, yet very elegant perspective.Special Features:
- Not too shabbyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Took my wife here for her birthday dinner...her and I were very pleased with the service and the food. The wine list is a little pricey, but the beer list isn't, so it evened out quite nicely. For tasteful decor, as well.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Michelle was our sever she was great made awesome wine suggestions and made our anniversary special!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 457 reviews are from the Trace - W - Austin reviews archive.
- Excellent BreakfastRachelDined on 6/28/2014didn't realize at first it was part of the W Hotel. Ambiance was clean and modern, but still fun. Service and food were impeccable.Special Features:
- Small menu, but can't go wrongpurgatori1Dined on 6/15/2014We went for brunch, and noted that there were really only 6 choices for the meal part of the meal. But considering ALL OF THEM were awesome, this is definitely a case of less is more. The green chorizo dish was crazy good, as was the brisket omelette. Enjoy a bloody mary (the first one was free), as those are also fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Great FindvincentvanvinhDined on 6/5/2014the food portions are on the smaller (non Texas) sized, but that's OK it tasted great! Our server Jenna was awesome, and I don't know what people were referring to with it being slow. I found her to be attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- First Try was a Five StarAustinWriterGirlDined on 6/4/2014We won a gift certificate donated to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, so gave Trace a try. We sat inside, although we saw folks outside on the patio enjoying drinks. Our server was congenial and efficient. In fact, other servers also came by to assist. We were there early, dining on a pre-theater schedule. This was handled easily at that hour. The entrees were excellent. Hubby ordered the lamb; I ordered the black drum. No time for desserts, but we enjoyed fab cappuccinos. All around, our first experience was fully five star. One complaint: Valet parking was an absolute ZOO out front. This caused a delay, and we were almost late for the theater. Not the restaurant's fault, however. We'll be back for other pre-symphony or pre-theater dinners.Special Features:
- Great Business LunchATXERVIPDined on 6/2/2014Trace is a great spot for a business location. Easy access with city parking or valet parking. Food and service was excellent. Server was attentive without being too intrusive to our meeting. I selected the location and my guests were very impressed with with the food and service.Special Features:
- Just OkClayDined on 5/30/2014The food was ok. The restaurant was super hard to find. The kale salad was terrible.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere; great foodiLo823VIPDined on 5/28/2014Atmosphere and vibe of restaurant is very fun and lively. I liked the very openness of the restaurant and the outdoor option, although I sat inside looking outdoors. Organic chicken with au jus was awesome - great flavor - and pairing with arugula and shallots was very good. Highly recommend this as a healthy option. Service was very good. Definitely would come here again when in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satfbfanDined on 5/27/2014Word of mouth took me here for a business dinner. Couldn't have been more impressed. From the service to the food everything was top notch. Add to that sitting outside on at the patio dining on a perfect Austin evening, it couldn't have been better. My client left feeling he'd been treated to one of Austin's finest gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably wonderfulHappydinerDined on 5/21/2014This is my third time for lunch, and I've been there several times for dinner. It has become one of Austin's treasures. Love it.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week MenugvrbaVIPDined on 5/18/2014Enjoyed our visit during Restaurant Week. Food, service, and ambiance were very nice. Located in the W Hotel ground floor.Special Features:
- Great food but service was lackingknittergorDined on 5/18/2014I went with three friends to try Trace's brunch menu during restaurant week. Overall, the food was delicious but our service put a damper on our experience. For one, we ordered an additional dessert that never came. Our request for more mimosas was never fulfilled, and they only came back once to refill our water glasses. When our pre-fixe desserts came, we had no silverware to eat them with and there was no one in sight for almost ten minutes to ask for spoons. When I finally found someone to ask, they brought the spoons and thunked them all on my plate, intending for me to serve the spoons to my friends. We are suspicious that the bad service was in part because we were enjoying the (cheaper) restaurant week menu. We will not be returningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Trace is a lovely restaurant with an open patio and it is very busy at brunch. It was hard to get in and out of my chair as it was so crowded. It was also really loud. We went for restaurant week and it means a lot that Trace participated! The eggs benedict would have been perfect except that the pork belly was so salty. It made every bite taste like salt even when I scraped it off. The croque madame was much better because the ham did not have as much salt. The béchamel was amazing and the bread was rustic and perfect. This is a nice restaurant but my husband and I will probably not go back just on our own. This is a great place to take visitors to see downtown and have a special meal.Special Features:
- Disappointing brunchveggiegirlDined on 5/18/2014We ate at Trace on our 28th anniversary expecting something special and festive. We knew that is was restaurant week but the server did not offer us the restaurant week menu. Our food took a long time to come out of the kitchen and was cold when it arrived. We sent it back and the second time it was oversalted. We also received the wrong desserts. The couple sitting next to us waited 20 minutes for scrambled eggs. Ridiculous considering it was early and the restaurant was not busy. Beautiful space but below average food and service.Special Features:
- Where's the...crab?SeniorSupportVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great service & fun cocktail list for the adventurous! We tried a mix of the cheese and charcuterie boards. Nice selection, but looked like tiny pretend food. The entrees were equally minisule & expensive. I ordered an ink pasta with blue crab, and there were literally unrecognizeable flakes of crab meat on the hotdog-sized twist of pasta. I sent it back, & received a new bowl with maybe 2 bites of crab. The manager was very nice and comped the entree and offered us a Texas wine to try on the house. We also split 2 desserts ( 3 of us) -- an amazing fried candy bar and a delicious chocolate mint choice. Nevertheless, we left hungry & I felt ill the rest of the night, possibly allergic to the ink in the pasta. No Texas-sized meal here!Special Features:
- Pleasurable Dining but no DDDrunkenDoughnutsRgoneDined on 5/16/2014Pleasant atmosphere during lunch. Staff are friendly and food is good. But desert is not the same as it was when Janina O'Leary was there. We miss her Drunken Doughnuts. But we found her at laV on east 7th in front of the State Seminary. So life is good again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAustinhipDined on 5/14/2014We had the prix fixe menu for restaurant week and enjoyed all three courses. Excellently prepared and presented. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Sit OutsideccaffeyDined on 5/11/2014My daughter took me here for the Mother's Day brunch. The food and service were great. The only issue I had was a discrepancy between some menu prices and the bill, but they didn't charge us for the items in error and appreciated me pointing it out, so I was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good1234Dined on 5/3/2014Exceptional! The food and service were great. We will return. Can't say much for the bar before going into the Trace. There are just ottomans to sit on - no chairs, very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Brunch was FunlivetodineDined on 5/3/2014Staff was very accommodating for our large party with many options. Loved the fun lively atmosphere. Service was prompt and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerCassielou2Dined on 5/1/2014We had the lamb and redfish. They we outstanding. We really enjoyed ourselves. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, average serviceJorieDined on 4/30/2014We enjoyed the ambiance and the food, but the service was very disappointing. Our server was polite, but very slow.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendslunchDined on 4/28/2014It was nice place to eat with friends. The waiter really needs help in learning how to wait tables.
- Always DependableCraigMDined on 4/26/2014Dining at Trace is always a great experience. The food is delicious and the service is attentive, without being annoying. Staff are well-trained, knowledgeable and very helpful, with an engaging, relaxing environment. You can't go wrong at Trace.Special Features: