1112 4th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.traceseattle.com/
- Phone: 2062646060x
- Hours of Operation:
TRACE serves breakfast Monday through Friday from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m.; Lunch Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; dinner Monday through Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. (10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday);Brunch Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m to 2 p.m; Sushi bar hours are Monday through Saturday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.; The Bar is open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., with Happy Hours from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Late Night Happy Hour is 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. daily; SIP, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and SIN, Friday and Saturday from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steven Ariel
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering facilities are located on the second and third floor of W Seattle. Please contact Tiffany Pesce at (206) 264-6105 for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Trace restaurant has one private dining area that seats up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Molly Bailes 2062646109x
- Entertainment: Expect the right cocktails, people & music in Trace Bar during SIP (Social Interactive Playtime) every Wednesday and Thursday nights from 8 pm - 10pm, and SIN (Social Interactive Nighttime) every Friday and Saturday nights from 9:30pm-1:30am. Groove to guest DJs, sip on one of our luscious signature drinks and nosh on a few bar munchies.
- Special Events: NEW Happy hour! M-Sat 4PM-7PM & 10PM-12AM / Sundays 4PM-12AM. $4 cocktails, $5 margaritas & draft beers, $6 wine, and $7 martinis. Also features food & sushi specials.
A word from Trace
TRACE restaurant and bar, lead by Chef de Cuisine, Steven Ariel, is a must-try for foodies, where a “localist” focus means a menu filled with contemporary, inventive dishes using regional specialties, including farm fresh produce, sustainably caught seafood and a curated sake menu at our sleek sushi bar. TRACE offers dynamic hand-crafted cocktails and liquor from regional distilleries, a wine list featuring notable Washington State wineries in addition to choice domestic and international selections from California, Oregon, France and Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trace reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (1)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014I was disappointed this time - I chose Trace as we had an excellent meal last time. We misinterpreted the menu as well and the waitress did not correct us. We hashed for the flat bread with argula and beecher's cheese thinking it was more salad and it's really a pizza. We also asked for the cheese plate and thinking it would be artisan cheese and it was a pot of melting cheese. Too many carbs and fat and overlap. We ordered the beef and it was very average.
- We left without eating!KavajVIPDined on 7/30/2014We arrived on time for a brunch, there was no one to check us in, there were about 3 tables eating and a multitude of dirty tables. I finally stopped a server and told her we had been waiting for 10 minutes for our reservation, and was there anyone to check us in? She said ' No, we hardly have any staff today'. I'll try to clear you a table. No apology, nothing. After waiting 5 more minutes and seeing no effort to clear a table, we left and went to Sazerc across the street and had beautiful food and very nice service.
- Whoops!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014When we arrived, we asked for the back booth. The person seating us explained that this area was reserved for a VIP group. Although, I assume this was unintended, his response and the way he said it left the impression that we were definitely not important. Probably not an ideal way to make customers feel. Interpersonal awareness skills would be preferable in a maitre d. The food was good, but given the number of choices in Seattle, properly trained and selected staff is crucial.
- Big DisappointmentWallasweetVIPDined on 7/24/2014We were very much looking forward to this experience. The peach salad was swimming in dressing. The rib steak was so salty it was almost inedible and tough.The paella was mostly rice and clam shells and not very good. The cocktail (cucumber martini) was good. It would be hard to find a reason to return. The waitress was delightful and attentive.
- Great sushi/sashimi!!RstedDined on 6/13/2014We had the sampler sushi/sashimi as an appetizer, very good!! There were four of us and we all loved our dinners! The food was a bit slow for delivery but the manager brought us some free appetizers to apologize for the wait...we didn't even notice the delay! Great wait staff and food!Special Features:
- Wowzers!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I've been to restaurants/lounges around the world, and Trace is among the best of the best! Service was awesome. Food was outstanding! Ambiance was magnifique! The servers went above and beyond the expected which was the highlight of my party's night! Here are a few must-trys: the pork sliders, halibut, cheese plate. Everything was so amazing I went back the next weekend and plan on going again whenever I want to celebrate a special occasion or just chill out at a cool hotspot for a nightcap, specifically, The Rosedrop!!!! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 229 reviews are from the Trace reviews archive.
- Disappointing DinnerdiningdivaDined on 5/6/2014Unless you like sushi, the menu is limited and over-priced. The sushi was OK, but they seem to want the rolls to be unusual rather than good or traditional. The service was very slow. This was the second time we had been ther before a show at Benaroya and I had forgotten that the last time, I felt the same way. We had to nudge them to remind them that we were on a schedule. The servers were OK, but not overly friendly or helpful. Al in all, will probably not go back.Special Features:
- Just good.PirateRockstarDined on 4/17/2014I made a reservation for my friend, myself and my two-year old for regular lunch. And I was a little dissapointed that they seated us at the sushi bar.. It's just not a cozy as being able to face each other. Maybe it was because we needed a highchair, or maybe they booked more reservations than they could handle. The food was okay. I had the smoked duck salad, open faced sushi. It was well prepared, interesting and moderately tasty. The dining room is very pretty! But I guess because of the high ceilings and abundance of hard surfaces, it echoed the sounds of lunch time talking so much that my friend and I had to shout in order to be heard.Special Features:
- Overall, Really GoodCMRockDined on 4/16/2014The food was great, from the shaved duck salad, open face sushi and chorizo flatbread, all very tasty. The service was a bit slow even when we expected waiting since we were in the middle of a lunch rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Food but Great for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014They need to really work on improving their food. It is NOT at all considered good. On the other hand it is absolutely a great place to just drink.Special Features:
- We arrived just prior to ourNizzlyDined on 3/25/2014We arrived just prior to our reservation time and were seated immediately, however the server was very slow and I had to ask for someone else to go find our server have him come to our table, just to ask him to speed things up. I swear the manager on duty saw me walking towards her and she made a point to turn her back & walk into a back room, away from me. We needed to be out by a certain time and they would have blown our timleine out of the water if we'd left them to their own devices; not sure if they are aware that people are on a lunch break & have to go back to work.Special Features:
- March Dine Out - Great Menu OptionsPioneersqdinerDined on 3/14/2014I had not previously been to Trace. Our party all opted for the March dining out lunch options. Between the three of us, we tried two of the appetizers, all three main courses and all three desserts. All received high marks. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great ambiencebabsDined on 3/11/2014The service was slow for our group since we were on a company work break. The atmosphere is beautiful and the servers were cordial.Special Features:
- For business or pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/2014Met a friend for lunch here and ordered from the Dine Around Seattle menu--$15 for 3 courses. Loved the ambiance and decor--an image of a giant diaphanous jelly fish dances across one wall. For soup, I had the pork ramen: hot and savory. My companion had the kale soup, which was an astonishing dark green and served with a long, thin sort of biscuit. She liked it. For an entree I had the mushroom risotto: rich, flavorful, filling, and a poached egg on top adds protein. Dessert for me was the berry cobbler with vanilla gelato--sweet and delicious. I didn't finish it, but only because I was so satisfied with my first two courses. Had I the capacity, I would have cleaned the plate. A terrific experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in the WJillDined on 3/4/2014I was looking for a spot for a business lunch close to my office. I was very happy with the choice! Great food and atmosphere. I will make this a regular business lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2014The wait staff were excellent , very attentive and knowledgable. The new decor is interesting. The seating area is VERY open and fairly close together, but comfortable. We had the lunch special. The kale soup was terrific and well presented, the chicken sandwich was average, but the fries were tasty, a great seasoning. The cobbler was very good. The best part of the lunch was the bread. Fantastic, warm and slightly crunchy, loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale hotel restaurantericfaustDined on 2/22/2014The quality of the food is great but the price is high and I feel the restaurant really could use a makeover. The hotel area is really nice but the dining area feels cold and does not impress.Special Features:
- Hip decor, overdone foodIncognitoDined on 2/21/2014We went there for a date night looking for a trendy spot with good food. The decor was great: creative and hip. But it was like they were trying too hard to make the food special, or maybe masking lower budget ingredients, by overdoing everything. Too much sauce and too many ingredients and competing flavors. We tried some sushi and a main course and it was all the same story. Even the cocktails just seemed to be trying too hard rather than just being simply great. We were also there on a Friday night and the place was only half full which is especially bad when looking for a fun place with a little energy. Overall, it was fun one time but we won't be back.
- It was a randomly wonderful!CorieographyDined on 2/17/2014My husband & I had stayed in Seattle for a week, for our last dinner there he wanted sushi, so right next to our hotel was this sushi place… "TRACE" I din't really think anything of it, but when we walked in the ambiance was so cool! & we were seated & the food was great!!! We loved the ambiance of it all & the food & the service was great, always right there & very kind & helpful. The best restaurant we had there!!! We would go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014My own fault for not investigating more, but the food wasn't worth the money. Noisy and felt more like a high end cafeteria than a nice restaurant. Wine pairings were good, but mediocre food. Could've and should've found a much better meal for the price. Won't go there again.
- A Disappointment - unforunatelyMagnoliaManDined on 12/7/2013Disappointing evening at Trace. The menu was fairly bland and the food, disappointing. Was initially excited to try Trace as I am a loyal Starwood/W fan and was hopeful that the restaurant would be a winner. The menu was fairly limited - with just about ten items to chose from. All three of us chose the rib eye; the steaks were good sized, but the preparation was underwhelming, There was very little flavor imparted in the beef as a result of the cooking. Wine by the glass was limited, with only one wine that was appropriately pairable with red meat available; and unfortunately they had sold out. The service was rather disjointed.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Tasting Menu a SuccesskudzuDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving away from home can be difficult, so it was encouraging to see that Trace was doing a special menu for T-day exiles. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing option. The sweet corn soup with ham and fried sage was lovely, and paired with a Pinot Gris. Second course was a Bibb lettuce salad with pear, raisins, and a blue cheese vinaigrette. The third was a mushroom-stuffed breast of turkey, served with Kalua dark meat, cranberry, and a natural gravy. Sides were a very witty roasted winter vegetables (included Brussels sprouts, parsnips, turnips, and carrots, and stuffing. Dessert was a Pumpkin mousse cake, which was light and lovely. he interior is witty, but a little too brightly lighted. Staff good, young.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trace for ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/28/2013Next year skip all that work and have your Thanksgiving at Trace. The food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what i expectedfang2Dined on 11/28/2013I was hoping to see more menu for thanksgiving dinner. The turkey dinner is not that bad, taste wise. It was quiet expensive $60 4 course menu for little bit of foods. No other food than turkey? They should have more option, no all in the family is a fan of turkey.Special Features:
- Excellent location for ThanksgivingDaphneDined on 11/28/2013Excellent location for Thanksgiving! Three generations of our family thoroughly enjoyed our meal - great service and excellent food, which included traditional items and a few twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsdavisfab4Dined on 11/23/2013The one complaint we have is that my husband's portion of the fish seemed significantly smaller than our friend's. We asked the server and she said it was by weight, but we really weren't satisfied. We loved the sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or Misseat4funDined on 11/19/2013This is the 4th time I've been to TRACE, and the food is always Hit or Miss and missing more than hitting. I had the sushi lunch trio. The sushi was spectacular as always, but the soup and salad were so bad I could not finish them. The service has been good and the ambiance is great. Just stick with the sushi. That's their strength.
- Dine around SeattleLanerZDined on 11/18/2013Great spot for business meeting, to meet friends, a blind date or a late night bite. My server was outstanding - friendly, knowledgable & attentive. The decor is modern & the sushi delicious. The dine around promo was a fantastic value! I love that the wasabi was fresh/grated and the miso soup was surprisingly incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hype!CindyCDined on 11/16/2013Trace was loud, cold and very slow service! We had a reservation for a birthday celebration and we were seated next to an exit door and were shocked that a server guided people from the bar to leave through the door next to our table! We waited way too long for our drinks to arrive and the waitress was almost absent except when delivering our food. There are so many great places to eat in Seattle, that Trace should not be on your list!Special Features:
- after dinner...had to get dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2013first off I could not figure out how to check in for dinner. came in and the music was so loud not bad but LOUD. I went to the bar and that was not the right place so I went up the stairs and tried to check in there for dinner not the right place. Finally asked server and they pointed me to a little black desk stuck to the wall in back and around the corner with no one present. Finally someone came and seated me. Our server was very nice. Food was fine. We had to ask for more salad dressing because salad was dressed so lightly in was non-existent. I had the cod and my friend had the scallops. The dinner was fine the food was tasty. However, we were left hungry. For just shy of $200. for 2 we should not be hungry.
- Surpassed expectations!Liz5Dined on 11/5/2013A coworker chose this place for a Dine Around Seattle $15, 3-COURSE lunch. I had been here for happy hour drinks before, but not to the restaurant. I looked at the menu and wasn't overwhelmed, so I came in with low expectations. Little did I know, this place is known for their amazing sushi - hence why the DAS menu had multiple sushi options - and everything else was spectacular, too! Most importantly... the persimmon cobbler. Most delicious cobbler I have EVER tasted. With the combination of the bourbon ice cream on top, the crunchy/crumbly crust, and the gooey/undercooked center, it was to die for. And the first two courses were light enough that I had room left to actually enjoy it! Fabulous, attentive service, too. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My mouth still watersSeattleDinerDined on 10/23/2013This was our first time at the restaurant. We had the Restaurant Week special 10/24/13, starting with a sashimi salad. The fish was several types, large pieces, and melted in your mouth. And the salad was dressed perfectly with soy sauce, etc. We also had the hanger steak, cooked just right. And the desserts were very good. But I still am raving about the salad. I'll have to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold, Loud, Mediocre (but not Bad)JAttilaHDined on 10/11/2013I wish I could give this restaurant two and a half stars. It would be tough to call it "good", but it may be a little better than "fair". The service was cordial, but not warm. We were staying at the W Hotel in the same building, which I imagine would account for a lot of their business. This site only allows for a certain length of review, and I'm feeling wordy, so if you want more, find my review on Yelp, which I'll write later today.Special Features:
- Too much noisellybDined on 9/28/2013We went to trace after seeing a play downtown. There were six of us and the music was so loud that you could barely talk to the person sitting next to you. We were trying to have a nice relaxing dinner and the techno/ trance music was distracting to say the least....not to mention the volume was ridiculous. I know that they are trying to have a night clubish feel with the dj and everything but they should really work on the ambiance of the restaurant at the price point. And they should have a warning on the nights where they have a dj so diners know to stay away! The food was good. My fried brussel sprout were amazing and the sushi was good if not amazing.Special Features:
- MediorceeaterDined on 8/30/2013Mediocre at best. I Had the “Double R Ranch” Grilled Rib Steak, with Sautéed string beans, bacon, port reductions, it wasn't bad but it wasn't $34.00 worth either. I also had a side of Fried Brussels Sprouts with Garlic, chili, scallions, those were literally destroyed. I think they possibly knew as no one noticed or asked why I had not eaten them. Would I go back there? No.
- Chic Decor, Good Food, Not CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2013I took a couple co-workers here for lunch recently. Nice food selection. The 3-course prix-fixe meal was very good. Very artistic food presentation, and quite an unusual preparation. Other choices my colleagues had were the halibut and the burger... Both of these had generous portions, good preparations, and nice presentations. Not many people there because their renovation was fairly recent, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Thumbs up.Special Features:
- Believe the reviewsSteveVIPDined on 8/7/2013Trace needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. The place was dead, the music in the bar was way too lud, and the food and service were there - nothing special. I was staying across the street at the Hotel Monaco and when we went back to their restaurant for a nightcap the place was hopping.
- Still hungryMaireconVIPDined on 8/4/2013The food is fantastic ... I just wish there had been more of it. After enjoying our brunch entrees, we were still hungry. Be prepared to order appetizers and desserts (which I normally don't do at brunch) or a 2nd entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Identity CrisisAdainSeattleVIPDined on 8/1/2013when you walk in you are greeted by very loud techno music more suited to the bar scene, then you see the cafeteria style tables and chairs...i think Trace has an identity crisis. Neither are conducive to fine dining and lingering over fine food. We didn't walk out (since it was empty and we had reserved) but ordered martinis (great) and appetizers. Menu is small but the food that we had was good (burrata & mozzarella salad, and seared ahi tuna roll) . I think the restaurant needs to decide who their market is and then create an atmosphere/setting that will be appealing and comfortable. I would guess that they don't have many repeat customers.
- Very pretentious. Could notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2013Very pretentious. Could not find a host/hostess to check in with upon arrival and stood around for 10 minutes waiting. Once seated, service was poor, food was okay. The only remarkable thing the entire experience held was the fried Brussels sprouts. We will not be returning.