1112 4th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.traceseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 264-6060
- Hours of Operation:
TRACE serves breakfast Monday through Friday from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m.; Lunch Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; dinner Monday through Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. (10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday);Brunch Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m to 2 p.m; Sushi bar hours are Monday through Saturday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.; The Bar is open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., with Happy Hours from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Late Night Happy Hour is 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. daily; SIP, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and SIN, Friday and Saturday from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steven Ariel
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering facilities are located on the second and third floor of W Seattle. Please contact Tiffany Pesce at (206) 264-6105 for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Trace restaurant has one private dining area that seats up to 12 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Molly Bailes 2062646109x
- Entertainment: Expect the right cocktails, people & music in Trace Bar during SIP (Social Interactive Playtime) every Wednesday and Thursday nights from 8 pm - 10pm, and SIN (Social Interactive Nighttime) every Friday and Saturday nights from 9:30pm-1:30am. Groove to guest DJs, sip on one of our luscious signature drinks and nosh on a few bar munchies.
- Special Events: NEW Happy hour! M-Sat 4PM-7PM & 10PM-12AM / Sundays 4PM-12AM. $4 cocktails, $5 margaritas & draft beers, $6 wine, and $7 martinis. Also features food & sushi specials.
A word from Trace
TRACE restaurant and bar, lead by Chef de Cuisine, Steven Ariel, is a must-try for foodies, where a “localist” focus means a menu filled with contemporary, inventive dishes using regional specialties, including farm fresh produce, sustainably caught seafood and a curated sake menu at our sleek sushi bar. TRACE offers dynamic hand-crafted cocktails and liquor from regional distilleries, a wine list featuring notable Washington State wineries in addition to choice domestic and international selections from California, Oregon, France and Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Trace - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Trace reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (12)special occasion (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (9)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lively and ModernKittyLoverDined on 11/12/2014First time to Trace. Did not know what to expect but had heard good things about their bar. Bar actually seems small. Restaurant wide open, so not private but seating is comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinnerWpeng118Dined on 11/7/2014We were here all week visiting Seattle and this was definitely my favorite restaurant on this trip. Friendly impeccable service and very tasty happy hour dishes. Even my four year old enjoyed her meal (not a kids meal but our adult food). We loved the clams, the pork miso soup, the garlic fries, and the lemongrass pork rolls. My husband requested riceless sushi and the chef made us a special roll with cucumber in place of rice. I wasn't expecting to order off the happy hour menu, but was pleasantly surprised it was offered until 7pm. It was like eating Asian tapas! Really cool menu and as everyone says, a swanky place. I would definitely come here again on my next trip. So glad that I picked this place. Only con was the noise.Special Features:
- Spot OnSeattlemacDined on 10/29/2014We found everything that we tried from the sushi, to the risotto, to be perfectly prepared. We had read that Trace was one of the top hotel restaurants, and we were not disappointed at all. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RipTornDined on 10/29/2014Came here for lunch. They give you a ton of food. Soup was very good. Had the chicken curry sandwich that could have been great except the chicken was tougher than a Metro bus tire. Service was super attentive and polite. Decor is beautiful.Special Features:
- LJBOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014We had such a fabulous time. Everything was perfect to the minutest detail. The experience was so special.Special Features:
- Seattle Restaurant WeekKikoDined on 10/28/2014Went for lunch with a friend. I had the Trace Roll and kale salad, and my friend had the chicken sandwich and corn soup. Every item was extremely tastey and the service was excellent. I accidentally left my credit card after paying the bill, and was relieved they still had it when I went back a few hours later.Special Features:
- Not what we expected.EatwellDined on 10/25/2014We booked a reservation for 2 at Trace because of it's convenient location close to the 5th Ave. Theater where we had tickets to a show that evening. Various online reviews were strong and the menu looked interesting. We ordered off the regular menu. The selection of wines by the glass was limited and limited, uninspired and overpriced. Our Sauvignon Blanc arrived warm and was sent it back for cooled ones. My seafood paella was bland, at best. The clams and shrimp were not the least bit tasty. My husband's Shrimp and Clam pasta was also quite tasteless. Neither salt nor pepper seemed improve the flavor of either dish. The side of crispy brussel sprouts was the best part of the meal. The meal came $96 without tip. We won't return!
- Seattle Restaurant Week SurprisekatiegDined on 10/21/2014We picked Trace randomly because we were going to a play at the 5th Avenue and they were listed on the Seattle Restaurant Week list. We were pleasantly surprised by Trace. The food was delicious! The 3 courses for Seattle Restaurant Week provided a sample of the all the amazing food Trace has to offer. I can't want to go back and try some of the sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014Everything was great but the first impression was confusing. We con into the entry door and we are in a "lounge bar". We walk into the restaurant portion becuase had reservations and there is not a check in point. Then we go back to the entry near the bar and still no check in point. Due to the amount of people in the bar we wondered if we couldn't see it? So I flagged down a waitress to help and she got someone to seat us. This whole thing took 8-10 mins. After that everything was great! The Sushi was great and so was steak!!Special Features:
- went for lunch wasn't not impressedelenasmDined on 10/21/2014Went for lunch during Seattle restaurant week, apple salad was great but my choice of chicken sandwich probably was wrong or the expectation to have a magic chicken sandwich from Trace was overblown .
- Nice spot in downtown SeattleCSP74Dined on 10/14/2014I found this place while seeking out dining choices in downtown Seattle during a recent visit. It is in the same building as the W Hotel, and it has quite a large bar, so I feared the noise level would be intolerable for dinner, but I was wrong. Of course, I was there on a Tuesday night, so that might have something to do with it, but still, it wasn't very noisy, so my group was able to enjoy our meal. Our server was attentive, and our food was quite good. We enjoyed the grilled chicken with harissa, the steak, the corn soup, and all of Trace's vegetable sides, including the brussels sprouts. I would eat there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014I was disappointed this time - I chose Trace as we had an excellent meal last time. We misinterpreted the menu as well and the waitress did not correct us. We hashed for the flat bread with argula and beecher's cheese thinking it was more salad and it's really a pizza. We also asked for the cheese plate and thinking it would be artisan cheese and it was a pot of melting cheese. Too many carbs and fat and overlap. We ordered the beef and it was very average.
- We left without eating!KavajVIPDined on 7/30/2014We arrived on time for a brunch, there was no one to check us in, there were about 3 tables eating and a multitude of dirty tables. I finally stopped a server and told her we had been waiting for 10 minutes for our reservation, and was there anyone to check us in? She said ' No, we hardly have any staff today'. I'll try to clear you a table. No apology, nothing. After waiting 5 more minutes and seeing no effort to clear a table, we left and went to Sazerc across the street and had beautiful food and very nice service.
- The following 233 reviews are from the Trace reviews archive.
- Whoops!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014When we arrived, we asked for the back booth. The person seating us explained that this area was reserved for a VIP group. Although, I assume this was unintended, his response and the way he said it left the impression that we were definitely not important. Probably not an ideal way to make customers feel. Interpersonal awareness skills would be preferable in a maitre d. The food was good, but given the number of choices in Seattle, properly trained and selected staff is crucial.
- Big DisappointmentWallasweetVIPDined on 7/24/2014We were very much looking forward to this experience. The peach salad was swimming in dressing. The rib steak was so salty it was almost inedible and tough.The paella was mostly rice and clam shells and not very good. The cocktail (cucumber martini) was good. It would be hard to find a reason to return. The waitress was delightful and attentive.
- Great sushi/sashimi!!RstedDined on 6/13/2014We had the sampler sushi/sashimi as an appetizer, very good!! There were four of us and we all loved our dinners! The food was a bit slow for delivery but the manager brought us some free appetizers to apologize for the wait...we didn't even notice the delay! Great wait staff and food!Special Features:
- Wowzers!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I've been to restaurants/lounges around the world, and Trace is among the best of the best! Service was awesome. Food was outstanding! Ambiance was magnifique! The servers went above and beyond the expected which was the highlight of my party's night! Here are a few must-trys: the pork sliders, halibut, cheese plate. Everything was so amazing I went back the next weekend and plan on going again whenever I want to celebrate a special occasion or just chill out at a cool hotspot for a nightcap, specifically, The Rosedrop!!!! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DinnerdiningdivaDined on 5/6/2014Unless you like sushi, the menu is limited and over-priced. The sushi was OK, but they seem to want the rolls to be unusual rather than good or traditional. The service was very slow. This was the second time we had been ther before a show at Benaroya and I had forgotten that the last time, I felt the same way. We had to nudge them to remind them that we were on a schedule. The servers were OK, but not overly friendly or helpful. Al in all, will probably not go back.Special Features:
- Just good.PirateRockstarDined on 4/17/2014I made a reservation for my friend, myself and my two-year old for regular lunch. And I was a little dissapointed that they seated us at the sushi bar.. It's just not a cozy as being able to face each other. Maybe it was because we needed a highchair, or maybe they booked more reservations than they could handle. The food was okay. I had the smoked duck salad, open faced sushi. It was well prepared, interesting and moderately tasty. The dining room is very pretty! But I guess because of the high ceilings and abundance of hard surfaces, it echoed the sounds of lunch time talking so much that my friend and I had to shout in order to be heard.Special Features:
- Overall, Really GoodCMRockDined on 4/16/2014The food was great, from the shaved duck salad, open face sushi and chorizo flatbread, all very tasty. The service was a bit slow even when we expected waiting since we were in the middle of a lunch rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Food but Great for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014They need to really work on improving their food. It is NOT at all considered good. On the other hand it is absolutely a great place to just drink.Special Features:
- We arrived just prior to ourNizzlyDined on 3/25/2014We arrived just prior to our reservation time and were seated immediately, however the server was very slow and I had to ask for someone else to go find our server have him come to our table, just to ask him to speed things up. I swear the manager on duty saw me walking towards her and she made a point to turn her back & walk into a back room, away from me. We needed to be out by a certain time and they would have blown our timleine out of the water if we'd left them to their own devices; not sure if they are aware that people are on a lunch break & have to go back to work.Special Features:
- March Dine Out - Great Menu OptionsPioneersqdinerDined on 3/14/2014I had not previously been to Trace. Our party all opted for the March dining out lunch options. Between the three of us, we tried two of the appetizers, all three main courses and all three desserts. All received high marks. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great ambiencebabsDined on 3/11/2014The service was slow for our group since we were on a company work break. The atmosphere is beautiful and the servers were cordial.Special Features:
- For business or pleasureJESilversteinDined on 3/6/2014Met a friend for lunch here and ordered from the Dine Around Seattle menu--$15 for 3 courses. Loved the ambiance and decor--an image of a giant diaphanous jelly fish dances across one wall. For soup, I had the pork ramen: hot and savory. My companion had the kale soup, which was an astonishing dark green and served with a long, thin sort of biscuit. She liked it. For an entree I had the mushroom risotto: rich, flavorful, filling, and a poached egg on top adds protein. Dessert for me was the berry cobbler with vanilla gelato--sweet and delicious. I didn't finish it, but only because I was so satisfied with my first two courses. Had I the capacity, I would have cleaned the plate. A terrific experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in the WJillDined on 3/4/2014I was looking for a spot for a business lunch close to my office. I was very happy with the choice! Great food and atmosphere. I will make this a regular business lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2014The wait staff were excellent , very attentive and knowledgable. The new decor is interesting. The seating area is VERY open and fairly close together, but comfortable. We had the lunch special. The kale soup was terrific and well presented, the chicken sandwich was average, but the fries were tasty, a great seasoning. The cobbler was very good. The best part of the lunch was the bread. Fantastic, warm and slightly crunchy, loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale hotel restaurantericfaustDined on 2/22/2014The quality of the food is great but the price is high and I feel the restaurant really could use a makeover. The hotel area is really nice but the dining area feels cold and does not impress.Special Features:
- Hip decor, overdone foodIncognitoDined on 2/21/2014We went there for a date night looking for a trendy spot with good food. The decor was great: creative and hip. But it was like they were trying too hard to make the food special, or maybe masking lower budget ingredients, by overdoing everything. Too much sauce and too many ingredients and competing flavors. We tried some sushi and a main course and it was all the same story. Even the cocktails just seemed to be trying too hard rather than just being simply great. We were also there on a Friday night and the place was only half full which is especially bad when looking for a fun place with a little energy. Overall, it was fun one time but we won't be back.
- It was a randomly wonderful!CorieographyDined on 2/17/2014My husband & I had stayed in Seattle for a week, for our last dinner there he wanted sushi, so right next to our hotel was this sushi place… "TRACE" I din't really think anything of it, but when we walked in the ambiance was so cool! & we were seated & the food was great!!! We loved the ambiance of it all & the food & the service was great, always right there & very kind & helpful. The best restaurant we had there!!! We would go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014My own fault for not investigating more, but the food wasn't worth the money. Noisy and felt more like a high end cafeteria than a nice restaurant. Wine pairings were good, but mediocre food. Could've and should've found a much better meal for the price. Won't go there again.
- A Disappointment - unforunatelyMagnoliaManVIPDined on 12/7/2013Disappointing evening at Trace. The menu was fairly bland and the food, disappointing. Was initially excited to try Trace as I am a loyal Starwood/W fan and was hopeful that the restaurant would be a winner. The menu was fairly limited - with just about ten items to chose from. All three of us chose the rib eye; the steaks were good sized, but the preparation was underwhelming, There was very little flavor imparted in the beef as a result of the cooking. Wine by the glass was limited, with only one wine that was appropriately pairable with red meat available; and unfortunately they had sold out. The service was rather disjointed.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Tasting Menu a SuccesskudzuVIPDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving away from home can be difficult, so it was encouraging to see that Trace was doing a special menu for T-day exiles. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing option. The sweet corn soup with ham and fried sage was lovely, and paired with a Pinot Gris. Second course was a Bibb lettuce salad with pear, raisins, and a blue cheese vinaigrette. The third was a mushroom-stuffed breast of turkey, served with Kalua dark meat, cranberry, and a natural gravy. Sides were a very witty roasted winter vegetables (included Brussels sprouts, parsnips, turnips, and carrots, and stuffing. Dessert was a Pumpkin mousse cake, which was light and lovely. he interior is witty, but a little too brightly lighted. Staff good, young.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trace for ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/28/2013Next year skip all that work and have your Thanksgiving at Trace. The food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what i expectedfang2Dined on 11/28/2013I was hoping to see more menu for thanksgiving dinner. The turkey dinner is not that bad, taste wise. It was quiet expensive $60 4 course menu for little bit of foods. No other food than turkey? They should have more option, no all in the family is a fan of turkey.Special Features:
- Excellent location for ThanksgivingDaphneDined on 11/28/2013Excellent location for Thanksgiving! Three generations of our family thoroughly enjoyed our meal - great service and excellent food, which included traditional items and a few twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsdavisfab4Dined on 11/23/2013The one complaint we have is that my husband's portion of the fish seemed significantly smaller than our friend's. We asked the server and she said it was by weight, but we really weren't satisfied. We loved the sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or Misseat4funDined on 11/19/2013This is the 4th time I've been to TRACE, and the food is always Hit or Miss and missing more than hitting. I had the sushi lunch trio. The sushi was spectacular as always, but the soup and salad were so bad I could not finish them. The service has been good and the ambiance is great. Just stick with the sushi. That's their strength.
- Dine around SeattleLanerZDined on 11/18/2013Great spot for business meeting, to meet friends, a blind date or a late night bite. My server was outstanding - friendly, knowledgable & attentive. The decor is modern & the sushi delicious. The dine around promo was a fantastic value! I love that the wasabi was fresh/grated and the miso soup was surprisingly incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hype!CindyCDined on 11/16/2013Trace was loud, cold and very slow service! We had a reservation for a birthday celebration and we were seated next to an exit door and were shocked that a server guided people from the bar to leave through the door next to our table! We waited way too long for our drinks to arrive and the waitress was almost absent except when delivering our food. There are so many great places to eat in Seattle, that Trace should not be on your list!Special Features: