18 9th Ave.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.toyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-660-6766 x1
- Hours of Operation:
LATE NIGHT: 10PM-2AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Doron Wong
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: TOY is a transcendent, multifunctional dining space inside the Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking District comprised of an indoor/outdoor Oyster and Sushi Bar, an al fresco terrace and a bi-level dining space with a private dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Events Department 8778421574
- Entertainment: Striking visual surprises and a live DJ booth combine with exceptional, inventive cuisine for a truly unique dining experience
- Special Events: On-site Sales & Events manager, Elizabeth Katusa at 212 554 6507 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from TOY
TOY is a transcendent, multifunctional dining space inside the Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking District comprised of an indoor/outdoor Oyster and Sushi Bar, an al fresco terrace and a bi-level dining space with a private dining room overlooking the restaurant. Modern Chinese and Japanese influences, including Shrimp 'toast' Cigars with Shitake Mushrooms and Coral, and a Long Bone Short Rib with Szechuan Black Pepper Sauce and Wokked Chinese Long Beans. An adjoining Oyster and Sushi Bar also offers wide selections of shellfish, classic and creative rolls(including no rice rolls), traditional and topped nigiri and sashimi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
TOY reviews from OpenTable diners
- The bar is set!312TransplantVIPDined on 6/21/2013Love this restaurant... Everything was perfect--great food, amazing atmosphere, great service and its a nightclub later on! Killer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013Went to TOY on a Saturday night. Ambience very good if you like a high energetic and club like restaurant lounge. Service was good and attendive, but this is not a place to expect high quality food. We had a bottle of Sake and a few small plates and Shushi. Both the Sake and shushi was of mediocre quality although the prices were of a fine dining establishment. From the small plates I enjoyed very much the Kobe carpaccio and lobster dumplings. Overall I had a great time because the ambience and crowd is great, plus the service staff is very attentive and nice. Next time I will have drinks and maybe a snack.Special Features:
- its a place to Dance, not eatAlwizardusDined on 6/8/2013Food is not worth the price, But its a great place to party.
- i thought food was very good...likestacygucci1Dined on 6/6/2013i thought food was very good...liked the background music alot...service was great....this was a later crowd...so next time i will make later reservations...restaurant was not crowded at 7pm..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- energetic dinner with a club vibeGlennDined on 6/1/2013a fun and exciting expirence with very good food. not the best place for a conversation as the music is very loud and you'll find yourself repeating words but its a fun time. book a late dinner on Friday or Saturday and hang around later for drinks.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2013I took my husband here to celebrate his birthday and we had a great evening. Toy happily catered to our lacto-veg diet without any problems. Will be visiting again on our next trip to NYSpecial Features:
- Great ServiceAHARTDined on 5/25/2013I was really impressed with the service and I was glad to chose this restaurant to enjoy my Saturday night as a visitor from LA. Expected the space to be a little bit bigger but considering the outside area was closed due to poor weather, I think it was still great. I loved the chill downtempo music too. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- couldnt be worse for nycOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2013Overpriced, uncreative, disappointing, bland. Go to blue ginger down the street.
- Celebrating Friends BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/23/2013This Restaurant is very chic, simply fabulous. My friend and I love the ambiance.. I had purchase a voucher on Gilt for my friends bday to redeem at Toy.. I was surprise with the great service and the tasty food. To top it off the waiter brought dessert to my friend with a flaming candle.. This was Superb.. I will go back again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. The ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2013The food was good. The ambiance was fun but the crowd was super cheesy. This is not a hot spot by any means. I would never go back or recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but not for meOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/18/2013Toy was ok food - lots of choices - way too noisy to have a decent conversation. Good for tourists I think. For the same food I'd go to Nobu or Bond Street or Phillipe. Probably not worth the bother to try it. There are alot of good restaurants in NY
- Hip & trendy restaurant/clubKraftyDined on 5/17/2013Wish a venue like Toy existed in Chicago. Definitely a scene to check out for dinner or at the very least a couple drinks. Fantastic entertainment. The Emerald sushi is a must and so is the Crispy Rock Shrimp appetizer. Will certainly go back when in NYC again. Side bar -> ate dinner around 11pm - if you're looking for a QUIET place for dinner, this is not your place. 4 stars out of 4. Good Times.Special Features:
- THE WORST FOOD I'VE EVER TRIED....OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2013THE WORST FOOD I'VE EVER TRIED.... VERY POOR SERVICE, WAITOR KNEW THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD AND OBVIOUSLY DID NOT EVEN APOLOGIZE FOR THAT. THE DRINKS THAT HE RECOMMENDED WERE - JUICE POORED OVER THE CHEAP LIQUIRE - NOT COCTAILS GOOD MUSIC AND EXCELLENT AMBIENCE BUT WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANY ONE
- Toy at the G. HotelNYCFoodieandFriendsDined on 5/16/2013Overall OK experience but the place is too trendy for its own good. Noise level increased at night went on and too dark to read menu or see food. Generic and expensive food. Can get better quality at lower prices in other places around the city. If you feel the need to be "seen" this place is for you, otherwise I would not recommend.Special Features:
- GREAT OYSTER BAR/DRINKSOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/13/2013Restaurant had a great selection of oysters and dynamite shrimp was amazing. I suggest you buy a punch bowl for about $50.00. It is HUGE and has about 5 or 6 drinks in it. If you think about it, its cheaper than buying 5 or 6 drinks individually. Service wasn't great it was just okay; disappointing because you'd expect more. Entree selection is poor. My sushi was bad but my boyfriend had the lobster and carpaccio sushi which was great and BTW we ALWAYS eat sushi. Overall, I'd only go back with a large group for oysters and drinks.Special Features:
- I thought the food and serviceLigiaDined on 5/11/2013I thought the food and service was great. It was jam packed with energy, as the club and restaurant are somewhat merged. The only thing I didnt like was the doorman to get into the restaurant. We had reservations and they made us wait as if we were trying to enter a VIP party.....i thought that was pretty pathetic and rude. Other than that it was a fun time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vfass22VFass22Dined on 5/11/2013My experience at Toy was amazing! Not only was the food and service great but the atmosphere was unique and futuristic, there were beautiful people everywhere and I got the chance to meet the owner Derek Koch and his fiancée Molly who is stunning! I recommend Toy to everyone who wants to have a great time. I can't wait to try Chateau Cherbuliez!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunBenLDined on 5/3/2013My girlfriend and I went here for our 3 year anniversary. The food was fantastic, the service very friendly, and the ambience lively. The food is a little overpriced, but thankfully we had found an online deal that left us with a more than reasonable bill given everything that came with it.Special Features:
- What a huge disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/30/2013Heard it was cool...of course the hotel is, but this place isn't. Wierd latex smell, poor service, incredibly overpriced mediocre food. Would tell anyone who asked, "don't waste your time or money!"
- Vibrant placeRoxieDined on 4/24/2013Celebrated my birthday at Toy. Enjoyed food, service as well as the vibrant scene. Definitely a place you would go out after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to experience whatElenaDined on 4/20/2013Wanted to experience what the TV show represented but was disappointed. Wouldnt mind paying the higher prices if the food was slightly better. The atmosphere was very much a get together for women's groups who were out to have a drink together but not necessarily a fun spot. Place was too dark to enjoy the decor. We arrived early and were told to have a drink at the bar in the lobby and that we would be called in when our table was ready. No one came to let us know and we had to ask again whether our table was available. We were left standing at the front door while they figured out where to sit us; there were plenty of tables available...and still open the entire time we had dinner.Special Features:
- Loved this place! It was inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Loved this place! It was in a perfect location. I really enjoyed the atmosphere the food was great everything was very good! I am however vegan so there wasn't much options and I didn't taste the meat or fish. Other than that it was very good I would def go back! Must have the penut butter desert cake!Special Features:
- An Epic NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013I chose Toy after several days of deciding on different venues to host my boyfriend's birthday party. It proved to be quite an experience! It's hot, young, and vibrant! The food was also amazing! I highly recommend the appetizers and small plates! The music was fantastic and the people gorgeous. Overall, an amazing experience and an epic birthday!Special Features:
- I was so excited to try theTinaTDined on 4/13/2013I was so excited to try the food after watching Playing with Fire, but visiting Toy is solely about the scene. We had the spicy beef and scallion dumplings (I recommend this one!), wild mushroom lettuce wrap, and wagyu tenderloin. The puree with the tenderloin was extremely rich and slightly overpowering. It took over 45 minutes to get a gin and tonic and over an hour to get our entree. We couldn't find our waiter for half of the night, although the place was extremely packed and so loud I was shouting at my dinner date. The decor was great and the burlesque dancer on the bar kept my attention. I would go back, but maybe just for drinks/atmosphere.Special Features:
- Lackluster toyROXIEDINESVIPDined on 4/5/2013Had been looking forward to a unique dining experience at Toy but was greatly disappointed with the food. Nothing unique or outstanding.Just some gimmicky toys for overpriced sushi boats and raw tower bar. The sushi we ordered was average. For the same amount of money I recommend nobu or blue ribbon sushi which still offers amazing sushi options after all these years. I give Toy about a year or so at most. Since the Gansevoort is connected they may stand longer if the hotel pushes their guests there. Not a place I would recommend to any friends.Special Features:
- The Sushi is delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013The Sushi is delicious! Was there on a date and it was nice and quiet so we could easily maintain our conversations without yelling across the table. Our waiter JP was great. Very nice and knowledgeable about the menu and wine choices. Had a great experience and would absolutely go backSpecial Features:
- Loved the place, trendy andmsernaDined on 3/30/2013Loved the place, trendy and chic. Waiter was really nice. Drinks and food were really good!Special Features:
- The only thing we didn't likeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/29/2013The only thing we didn't like was that they squeezed us at a table near the kitchen, so my friend's chair kept getting bumped by the servers.
- NOT GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013Althought the food was excellent and the waitress was good. I check in at five to 7 my reservation where for 7. I was sitting in the other section of the bar and had to go back in at 7:20 to see what is going on the the guy that was handleing the reservation was rude, and I thought he might have a nervous breakdown..NOT GOOD!! So, of course I will never go back...
- Awesome restaurant in a hipOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013Awesome restaurant in a hip location but I had to have had the worst waiter in the entire restaurant. I wish he was more prompt so that my overall experience could have been better.Special Features:
- Overall, I was very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/20/2013Overall, I was very disappointed in my experience at TOY. The decor was seriously dated and not at all chic. The choice of saki was miniscule....thought I was in a Japanese/sushi restaurant. They offered three kinds, all cold. Not one hot saki choice - shameful. For the price, I was not impressed at all, food was just okay. I could have easily gone to Pastis down the block and spent half what I did for a five star experience, but we were trying to recreate our first date, so wanted sushi. The waiter was very pleasant, but found ourselves looking for him often to order additional things. Our tab was over $300 with tip. Typical for NY, but we eat out often, and I expected better from a restaurant in the lobby of the Gansevoort.
- sssh make your reservation hereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013I had my birthday there and everyone was so friendly and just nice and inviting. The food was ammmmmmmmmazing. I will definitely go there again. And recommend it to othersSpecial Features:
- Awful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2013I would NEVER visit that place again!!!! We lost our reservation because we got there 10 mins. late. It was supposed to be an after theater dinner. I tried to call on our way there but no one picked up. When we got there, the guy who talked to us couldn't be mothe pathetic and treated us like we were garbage!!! It's not the first time it has happened. It wouldn't even cross my mind to visit this place again.
- HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2013Had a 7pm reservation, the diningroom was not set up yet. We had to wait in the bar until the service staff set tables....really? How unprepared. THey didn't even offer to buy a round of drinks. The waiter was at first in our faces ever 2 minutes then ignored us for most of the night. It is another blah trendy night spot full of people who think they are important. Model want to be's and low class people dresses up.Special Features:
- Perfect for celebrating aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2013Perfect for celebrating a birthday or special event with a group of friends. Great food, great drinks with a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Hot Spot ChicAdSmithVIPDined on 1/30/2013Great menu, great ambiance, loud but not TOO loud and hip. Great upgrade from the last place there. LOVED the dessert - a chocolate marshmallow peanut butter thing and the food was delicious and clever. Small portions.Special Features:
- I booked a reservation onOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/13/2012I booked a reservation on opentable for 6:45pm. I received a call from the restaurant confirming my reservation but when we got there the host told me that the restaurant does not open until 7. Why would they allow us to book earlier?? So my friends and I ordered drink at the bar which took 20 min to get. By that point we asked if they could just bring it to our table as we were able to get a table by then. After my friend drank 3/4 of her $12 drink that we already paid for, she finds a bottle cap at the bottom of her glass! Because we were made to pay before they only gave her another drink and said sorry. Nothing was removed from the bill. No manager came over to apologize. The food was delicious though.Special Features:
- Felt like a themed diner.BastVIPDined on 11/15/2012Felt like a themed diner. Great waiter, food was good. I know its technically a hotel bar, but i would have expected more in meat packing. Cheesy, very cheesy.Special Features:
- Skip the trip !OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2012Took my husband there for his birthday this past Saturday. It's a great restaurant if you are 21 and think you are cooler than you are. The food was decent. Sushi was nothing spectacular, but my husbands wagyu tenderloin redeemed the meal - it was great! If you go there, order steak instead of sushi. Not something you generally do at an Asian type place. The biggest reason for the negative review was the music. I love 80's music so that was awesome. BUT they could not get the volume right. It was either blaring and you had to cover your ears (and we are not old) or it was too soft. There was no consistency and it was actually a huge disappointment. They need to get it together !!!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012I had a 9:30 reservation. When I sat down, the waiter was inattentive. He would start to talk to my table, say the specials and then when I had questions about to menu, he would just casually walk away during mid sentence to look at other tables. I then asked to switch tables and they were accommodating. We sat outside although I would have preferred to have eaten inside. Our second waiter we had was not that great either but, the food was great.