516 York Road
Towson, MD 21204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.towsontavern.com/
- Phone: 4103377210
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Dinner Only Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tyson Spangler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us about catering your private event.
- Special Events: Happy Hour at the Tavern every weekday from 4:00 to 7:00 pm, 50% off call cocktails, beer as well as select glasses of red and white wine.
Wine Down Wednesdays. Featuring half priced bottles of wine from 4:00 to 10:00.
A word from Towson Tavern
Now open serving a menu of ever evolving and unique American regional cuisine and serving a premium line of wine and spirits as well as a craft beer selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Towson Tavern - Best Restaurants in Towson ›
Towson Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (23)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)romantic (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- DELISH!!!JackieVIPDined on 10/3/2014WE HAD A WONDERFUL MEAL!! IT HAD BEEN AWHILE SINCE WE VISITED THE TAVERN. I HAVE TO SAY, I WAS BLOWN AWAY!! I ORDERED THE HAMBURGER AND IT WAS DELISH!! WE HAD A PARTY OF EIGHT AND SERVICE WAS FAST AND EVERYTHING CAME OUT PERFECT!! THEY WERE SO SWEET, THEY EVEN CONTACTED ME WHEN WE LEFT MY DAUGHTER'S BUNNY AT THE TAVERN. LOOKING FORWARD TO DINING THEIR AGAIN SOON.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops RisottolexawizDined on 9/13/2014The scollops risotto was too salty. Perhaps the bacon overwhelmed the seafood flavor, but it was not good. The sirloin special, however, was excellent as was our service. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvoidOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014This was a truly disappointing dining experience. Our food came out just minutes after we ordered, entrees following appetizers almost before we had finished the appetizers. Nothing seemed fresh or house prepared. The charcuterie plate included pheasant sausage so unpleasant looking that we didn't bother to try it and the pate was horrible. The garlic filet was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside and was a terribly fatty. The bright spot was the waitress, who was pleasant and attentive. We will not be returning.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Great food & wine! We were a large group of 14 & everyone enjoyed thier meal.Special Features:
- Really Enjoyed!BrianAltVIPDined on 8/23/2014Didn't know what to expect from the Towson Tavern, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The food was terrific! And I had no complaints over their craft beer list, a real bonus. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Towson TrendydineDined on 8/22/2014Great food far surpasses the typical bar grub, excellent service, booths for meeting friends or familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a DecisionJnaylorjrVIPDined on 8/22/2014This place needs to decide if it's a bar or a restaurant because they fail trying to do both. We waited for 40 minutes to get our meal. Five tables around us were served though they were seated after us. Our waiter Michael B. was not trained or skilled in handling any situation. We asked why our meal was late and he blamed it on the someone and told us the manager would check on it. No manager, no one cared. When it came the meals were both wrong and again he blamed it on someone else, though it was because he didn't write anything down. The entrees are overpriced. Nice to not meet you Mr. Manager, it's okay, you didn't need to stop by to apologize. Stick to the bar scene and pub food, you're destined for failure.
- I would definitely go back!homebodysteppingoutDined on 8/19/2014The food, service and atmosphere were all superb. First time there, but not my last.Special Features:
- Great food and servicecwdeleyerDined on 8/9/2014Went with my pre-pre-wife on a Saturday night for dinner. Food and service were excellent! The atmosphere created by the bar kind of clashes with the menu and decor of the restaurant but it wasn't so loud as to take away from our experience. They were out of one of the deserts advertised in the menu but the substitute options were just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Towson Tavern .. a findGerirxerDined on 8/9/2014I think "neighborhood gem" covers it well. I've been here for years, living in Parkville, but never knew about the Towson Tavern. We went during Restaurant Week to try something new. The food was much better than we expected. My husband said his steak was the best he's ever had, and this is high praise from him. My salmon had a citrus glaze which was out of the ordinary for me. Dessert (chocolate purse) was wonderful, as was hubby's cheesecake. Wish I could recall our server's name..she was perfect. Attentive but not intrusive, very knowledgeable about the menu, too. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Highs and LowsNotQuiteAFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Maybe our expectations were too high after reading a number of good reviews on-line. Fact is, the food varied a lot in quality and creativity. Case in point: the corn and lobster bisque vs. the mixed greens. As good as the bisque was, with a nice bite to make it even more interesting, so unremarkablw were the mixed greens. Similarly with the main course: The crab & lobster ravioli were very good and tasty, but the grilled rare tuna was disappointing, to the point where my wife enjoyed the grits more than the tuna or the asparagus.Special Features:
- Eclectic Groupluv2BsurprisedDined on 8/1/2014I had dinner with three friends, all of whom have distinct tastes when it comes to eating. Each one of us found something on the menu that suit our individual tastes. Restaurant is designed to hear the excitement at the bar but were also able to hear each other talking at the table. Service was excellent, attended to immediately with drinks and the rest of the meal was nicely paced as to be able to relax and enjoy the evening. This will definitely become one of our favorite go to restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Towson TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014Three of us held a lunch meeting at this restaurant. Service was good......although was early and not crowded, but several table & booths occupied. Two of us ordered the cobb salad, but it was not the traditional version expected. We knew something was up when the server asked if we wanted meat or anything on it. Typically comes with ham, cheese, bacon, etc. We had grilled chicken on ours. Was good and we were pleased with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopieDined on 7/12/2014We had an excellent experience all the way around at the Towson Tavern. Service was friendly, attentive, and our server knew the menu well. Food was superb. The cream of crab soup was the best we've had ever! All food items were cooked to perfection, delicious, and beautifully plated. Quite a find and great addition to Towson's burgeoning restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great food and serviceTowsonDinerVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Towson. The food is always superb and the service matches.Special Features:
- Return customerKmacVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have dined there many times. Food is consistently good and service is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boo hoo birthdayJussayinDined on 7/1/2014Although it was a quiet evening 8p and there was one other couple, the service was poor. They gave us one small roll for three people with no explanation. Ran out! The food was slow in coming ..... Good...... But barely warm. Oh yeah ,it was my birthday. :-(Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed our dinner. The service was very good. It is a good restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service to matchTowsonDinerVIPDined on 6/27/2014We eat out a lot in Towson and the Towson Tavern is definitely one of our favorites. The food is always excellent and the service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodSuzieQVIPDined on 6/25/2014We enjoyed our food had a salad and shared a few appetizers. The only complaint I would have is we wish we would have known the lamb chop appetizer came with potatoes. We additionally ordered sweet potato fries and we wouldn't have. We would have ordered a green veggie instead. Next time we will know.Special Features:
- The following 234 reviews are from the Towson Tavern reviews archive.
- Consistently good!SharonDDined on 6/12/2014We always enjoy visiting Towson Tavern. It is a friendly, welcoming environment. The food is always great and the Tavern burger is fab!Special Features:
- disappointing all the way around.BmmlDined on 6/5/2014We had manhattan chowder, a burger, and maryland crab cakes. It was all just ok. It was my birthday so a real disappointnentSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedJammybearDined on 5/31/2014We were pleasantly surprised from the yummy bread and oil to really nice crab cakes and scallop and shrimp entree. They also had great beers on tap and a nice bar area including comfortable coaches.Special Features:
- Great food, lovely presentation!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Went Sat night 5-17-14 with Ladyfriend and a couple of friends. Had reservations for 8 pm. We were seated instantly at a nice table toward the back, which is quieter - Sat night it is boisterous early but settles down. Server was knowledgeable and checked in frequently. Accomodated us by letting us split two salads - and they brought us all separate plates already divvied up, very nicely done. Our entrees were exquisite, beautifully presented and very tasty. We split deserts as well. Reasonable wine list, excellent beer selection, and we had a wonderful and leisurely dinner, no pressure. And the free valet parking is great - and needed in Towson - plus the server took our tickets as we were finishing so the cars were up when we were.Special Features:
- Remarkable Dining ExperienceematwdDined on 5/11/2014The Tavern delivered a remarkable dining experience to my family. We dined on Mother's Day and had one of the best meals and dining experiences. From the moment we were greeted at the hostess stand, welcomed by our server Natalie, to the Dinner Specials that were not on the menu, to dessert. I come from a background of Restaurant Management in Fine Dining (Ironwoods Restaurant, Heritage Hills Resort in York PA) - I have to commend the front of house staff and the back of house Kitchen for the flawless execution on the food and service. HUGE compliments to your Chefs - Caprese & Caesar Salads, Halibut Entree Special, Braised Short Ribs, & Lamb entrees were outstanding. Hands down to this establishment. We will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sayheybmoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014I went for my birthday dinner and it was a Tuesday night at 8:15. There were not a lot of people in the restaurant. The tables for 2 are a little small only leaving enough room for your dinner plates but didn't feel extremely cramped. I enjoyed my dinner, the food was really good. The desert menu is limited. I would definitely recommend for a nice dinner night out and I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come here for soupBitseyDined on 4/5/2014Fantastic Cream of crab soup. I'm not sure what they do to it but it is a large serving, tawney colored (browned bits?) and just the right consistancy not to mention outstanding taste. Our party a bit of everything and all were very happy with the food-pasta, salads and sandwiches.Special Features:
- Gem in towsonTowsonTasteDined on 4/4/2014Great find. Food was a+. Service was quick and drinks were delicious. Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014The food was good but the noise coming from the bar was a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly greatOlneyNeighborVIPDined on 3/28/2014We have been here many times. The soups are to love, crab cakes great..... I had eggplant entree and it was ok but not great. but overall a great find in Towson.Special Features:
- Delicious interesting creativeStanleyDined on 3/22/2014Delicious interesting creative food. We all enjoyed our dinners very much. Our waitress was attentive, but not intrusive,Special Features:
- Won't go there againjpgr29Dined on 3/22/2014Wont go back. We selected the 'restaurant' on a friend's recommendation. I made the reservation for 7:00 and asked for a nice table because it was our anniversary. We were seated at a table that was extremely small. When I asked another table the next size up were all taken and they wouldn't seat us in a booth since it sat more than 2 people. We were given bread and olive oil and glasses of water. When our soup came there was little room to put the rather large (in surface) bowls on the table. The soup was very good. I'm not going to get into our waitress. The noise level was too loud. By 8:00 we could not hear each other. Our meals came (large plates) and had to clear the table so there was room for the plates. I've run out of room..Special Features:
- Cool SpotJuniperVIPDined on 3/20/2014Had lunch and a one on one meeting with my sales rep. Big tables, casual atmosphere. We did not drink alcohol, but the bar looked great. Numerous wide screens and a area with couches and comfortable chairs. Food was very good and service very polite and prompt. It's definitely a great place for a business lunch or drinks after work with your staff.Special Features:
- NoteworthySuzieQVIPDined on 2/23/2014I think the restaurant has a lot of potential once the regular dining room will be opened in the near future. I love the Grilled Caesar Salad - best one I've had!Special Features:
- Crazy (bad) on a FridayBobbubbaVIPDined on 2/21/2014My wife had been to this restaurant with her book club on a Monday night and suggested we go back for a Friday dinner date. It was easy getting a reservation on short notice at prime time (hmmm). The establishment is dominatd by the bar and the minute we walked in we could not hear ourselves think and the sound did not diminish the entire time we were there. The service was very slow to start and we had to flag down the manager to get served. When the server did come she was friendly and tried to be attentive, but the slow service continued thougout the meal and I suspect they were short staffed as the manager cleared our plates at one point. The food was nothing special nor was the decor. We will not return.
- great food and servicemaggielouVIPDined on 2/18/2014excellent crab bisque excellent lamb chops all of the sides were amazing service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good / Solid Neighborhood SpotmizaimsDined on 2/16/2014While the ambiance is nice; I wouldn't call the place romantic. It has a very nice size bar. It is definitely a good spot to go after work and a good neighborhood place. My only complaint - which is more of a suggestion- is they need to offer some scaled back offerings on their dinner menu. Sometimes I just don't want a FULL meal for dinner - I want a sandwich...so it would be nice to offer a scaled back version on the dinner menu. What we have tried has exceeded my expectations. The crab cakes (pretty good); Gruyere salmon (very good - highly recommend); bibb salad (good); coffee rubbed sirloin (very good); steamed edamame (very good). We brought half our dinners home for dinner the following day - the portions are very large.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem is RightPatrickDined on 2/15/2014Constantly rave about this place and they knocked it ou of the park for valentines day!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?79BeansDined on 2/14/2014Went there for dinner with another couple. We ordered a bottle of wine, sodas and two appetizers. We were finished our appetizers before our wine came to the table. Our friend commented that they must have needed to get the wine someplace else. The person that brought the wine asked if we waited long, we pointed out the empty appetizer plates. No apology, not even from our waiter. the only comment we got, was "sorr...eeee'. This was our 3rd time to Towson Tavern. We have really tried to love it. The food is well prepared, the atmosphere is pleasant, but we just don't get the impression that the front of the house even cares about the service. It is a shame. Could be very nice experience.
- Great food, service and vibe.JandSDined on 2/1/2014We had a great time at TT we have been there before and had a good experience. The service was on spot. Our food was prepared perfectly and served fresh and hot. It was a busy night and the service and food were great. The bar was busy also but even with a busy bar the noise level was not bothersome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.