1623 E. Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
East Passyunk Avenue
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townsendrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2676393203
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Townsend Wentz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Townsend
A contemporary French/American restaurant in Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Townsend - Best Restaurants in East Passyunk Avenue ›
Townsend reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (139)neighborhood gem (95)special occasion (89)romantic (78)notable wine list (57)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- City girlOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Beyond all my expectations! Unbelievable good.Excellent service.Charming waiterSpecial Features:
- Great new restaurantPattyDined on 8/29/2014First of all, the bread was fresh and the butter was spreadable! The heirloom tomato salad and organic chicken are delicious. The skate was cooked to perfection. The service there was amazing, mostly because the staff seem like a tight-knit group, they seemed proud to be working there, and they have great knowledge of what's going on at the restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentRichVIPDined on 8/27/2014The menu is oddly small, but if you treat the "appetizers" as small plates, it makes a lot more sense. They should just label it that way. Anyway, the space is cute and romantic. The service is excellent. The food isn't crazy creative, it's just very, very good. There's just enough creativity in ingredients and presentation to satisfy a foodie, but your grams will enjoy it just as much. Scallops and warm vegetable salad were fantastic. The rabbit was oddly presented so that it was hard to tell what was actually rabbit, but it was very tasty. A gnocchi special was excellent. A fish entree they served that night was lovely, but somewhat forgettable. That said, nothing was bad. It was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/27/20145 star prices for a 4 star experience; shouldn't have to fight for the server's attentionSpecial Features:
- Just delicious and great service!lekkerDined on 8/27/2014Loved our waitress' knowledge of the wines and her recommendations were wonderful. Just a perfect relaxed, delicious meal. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Philly???OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014Overall fantastic initial experience at Townsend! Fit for discriminating "foodies", this new East Passyunk emporium gets it ALL right. From warm bread, to great app's, to varied and satisfying entrees. Service with Lauren (GM of Townsend) was attentive and personal. GREAT find!Special Features:
- French Dining par excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014There is something very special about this restaurant, and you feel it from the moment you enter the door. The waitstaff welcomes you like family, and the cozy ambience immediately exudes warmth and intimacy. The only drawback might be the long flight of steep stairs you must ascend to reach the main dining floor, but once you're there, you're cosseted in a casual chic world of white table-cloths and warm woods. We loved the wine pairings with selections seldom seen on any menu. When the first course arrived -- we had the heirloom tomato salad -- the flavors of pesto, micro greens and croutons blended with the sublime flavors of summer's bounteous beauties from the vine. Superb! The whole evening continued this way, and we swooned.Special Features:
- Went to Townsend & it was terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014We loved our waiter Steve, he really made the Birthday celebration special. Looking forward to another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Might be the Best Dinner Ever!2fordinnerDined on 8/23/2014From the moment we walked in until we left the entire experience was flawless. The service was perfect, the atmosphere was calm and we could actually have a conversation over dinner without shouting above the music. The food was the best we have eaten in a very long time in this city! Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- Mixed and promisingBazkapVIPDined on 8/21/2014Staff graciously accommodated a wish for 3-appetizer/wine tasting. The food belonged to several seasons from heavy winter to refreshing summer. The wine from by-the-glass list ($30 pp) lacked distinction and was overwhelmed by food prep. Time and fine tuning will bring Townsend up to its promise.Special Features:
- Excellent mealGMB7Dined on 8/20/2014Food was inventive and very tasty. Would like to see a few lower fat options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PepperDined on 8/20/2014A wonderful experience all around. The staff is exceptional as is the food!Special Features:
- Excellent with a simple menu1LucyVIPDined on 8/20/2014A decent and nice array of choices await you and one of my favorite: beef tartare. Very tasty served with grilled bread. All the choices were well presented and of excellent quality and the prices were not out of line. I would go back!Special Features:
- Extraordinary CuisineBradVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent service combined with great food is a super combination. My party enjoyed the experience immensely. Our server did a good job in matching the wine selections with the food. What's there not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must gotheeaterDined on 8/16/2014This place is a power house in a small package. It's easy, unassuming and truly disappears around you. The food is high end and their focus is you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Bit of Perfectionkatchin05VIPDined on 8/16/2014Townsend was one of the best dining experiences I've had in quite a while. Fantastic from start to finish, and completely unpretentious. Greeted with a genuine smile by the host (didn't catch her name), and seated in the cute downstairs dining room. Bar was a little busy, but not at all noisy. Our server Steve was charming and polite. He made excellent suggestions for both cocktails and food when we asked. The sweetbread and veal tongue are some of the best I've ever had. Cocktails were diverse and balanced. The food runner JP explained all our dishes as they arrived like a true professional. This place is worth your time and money.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food/ExperienceHappy2SayDined on 8/15/2014Very pleasant & efficient staff - greeted us last Friday night & led us to the 2nd floor where there were some other diners and a very moderate noise level making conversation quite comfortable. Lovely room & setting. Megin was our server, as others have noted, she is OUTSTANDING; she also recommended an excellent chardonnay from the wine list. The food was delicious - we had seafood and one person had veal. The chocolate souffle for dessert was everything other diners have claimed - and then some. Will return for sure.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningFoodie1Dined on 8/14/2014The small dining room provided a feeling of intimacy. There were only 10 white- clothed tables and the relatively low level of noise provided a welcome change in this era of high-volume noise which is found in most restaurants. We were warmly welcomed and seated comfortably to the sound of "Cool Jazz ".Our server was extremely helpful with our dinner choices and wine selection, The warm vegetable salad was unusual and delicious. The generous portion of chicken was moist and tender The marsala sauce was subtle and complemented the chicken beautifully. The gnocchi , that day's special, were light as air! The Valhrona Chocolate Souffle was worth every calorie ! Dinner was an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryVIPDined on 8/11/2014Wonderful food but the ambiance is poor. Too much noise coming from the bar and the dining room itself is very small. Would prefer the upper level, but there was a noisy party there that night. All was good, but it didn't amount to a memorable evening. Took forever to get the cheese course. Why not just put cheese on the cheese course -- and some good French bread? Radical idea!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special birthday spotSusanraebelleDined on 8/11/2014Finally a fine dining experience where the sound level is bearable. Quiet jazz in the background, tables set apart, excellent attentive service and incredible food. The menu is limited but imaginative and the dishes are beautifully presented. My husband and I ordered 4 appetizers, scallops, sea bass on cockles, broiled oysters , sweetbreads and veal tongue, and one skate wing entree which we shared. The best skatewing we've ever eaten was crispy on the outside and tender inside with a delicious sauce. .We will order the identical meal minus the veal tongue next time. We ended our meal with Chocolate soufflé and the cheese platter . Megan offered excellent advice re: the wines and was a perfect server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Did not find the food to be anything special. My cod was fairly bland and my wife's rabbit was ok
- JerrybenzDined on 8/8/2014We went to Townsend to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was our first time there and based our choice on reviews that we had read. We were not disappointed. The bar featured several delicious new treats and the menu contained some interesting new combinations. The oyster appetizer was outstanding and the chicken and cod main dishes were perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious. Make sure you top off you dinner with the decedent chocolate souffle as we did with some port wine. The ambiance and service were outstanding. Townsend is our new special occasion restaurant!Special Features:
- Great food. Too crowded and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Food wise every part of our meal was spot on. We had heard from friends it can get crowded and the staff can seem overwhelmed. Went on a Wednesdsy night and met the same fate. Long waits between courses (our pre-dinner drink took almost 20 min to arrive). Tables very close to each other and the noise carries not only between parties but between floors as well.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentIHeartPhillyDined on 8/4/2014After hearing good things about how Townsend offers a fine dining experience in South Philadelphia, we were looking forward to a civilized dinner on Monday night. Unfortunately, when we arrived for our 8 p.m. reservation our table was not ready and after waiting at the bar for 30 minutes we just decided to skip the table in the dining room and have our meal at the bar. The bartender was nice enough. The wine was good and the food was decent, but it is not what we had hoped for. This is not fine dining and frankly, there are similar-type restaurants where the food is better.
- Would ReccommendreggieVIPDined on 8/3/2014What a nice, cozy restaurant! Very French food and it was all delicious. The only draw back was that the menu was very limited but, I did not mind. The rabbit entree was great but, a little less salt would have made it perfect. And I LOVE salt! We're going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticsibsVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best restaurant that I have dine at in years. The help and the food were outstanding. All my wife and I kept saying from beginning to the end was "Wow"....wonderful experience. They did a great job of matching our wine with our food. It is like having dinner in a friend's home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Party of 4 on Saturday evening expecting an exceptional experience. Too noisy for easy conversation and tables too close for comfort. Food was not at all as advertised. Main course of cod was small and getting lost on the large plate. Chicken was also nothing much although at least there was a more generous portion. The Pavlova was the saddest of all. This is a dessert with great potential but the execution was poor. Rhubarb I could find little. Overpriced and not as advertised.
- Night for loversListormDined on 8/2/2014Unbelievable night in totality. The Gnochi is a must try as is the seared scallop. I'm not sure that you could go wrong anywhere on this menu. Perfect romantic setting upstairs and wine by the glass is great when planning some after dinner fun in east passyunk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown AwayMoogieVIPDined on 7/31/2014I live in the city and still I have yet to find my "go to restaurant." This is it. We were charmed and delighted by the staff and our food. Warm veggie salad was great. I had the skate (devine) My husband, the lamb (excellent) and our friend, the chicken, (outstanding). We hated to leave after the warm chocolate souffle and the strawberry and rhuebarb Pavlova. Cannot wait to go back. I immediately thought of booking New Years Eve.Special Features:
- oKAY NOT GREATzoey1014Dined on 7/31/2014Limited menu. Just 4 entrees with a special. More seafood choices than anything else. Food was well prepared but subtle. Flies buzzing around did not add to ambience. Dessert was held up because the server gave our order to friends of the chef (he came over to talk to them so we knew he knew them) first even though we ordered before them(dessert took 15 minutes), so we sat there and watched them eat. Cheese plate was not as good as Talulas's. Our waitress Megan was excellent.
- Still dreaming about the oystersJanHVIPDined on 7/30/2014Had a lovely three course meal with two friends Wednesday night. We were sat upstairs, which is bright and lovely and provides plenty of room between tables. The soundtrack sounded like one of my Pandora stations (Wilco, Lumineers, etc.) The food was fantastic. We all shared bites of our meals. My choice, the oysters in pernod, cream and butter with bacon, was the stand-out app. The rabbit, my friend's choice, was the stand-out entree. My choice, the cheese plate, with healthy portions and artistically arranged fruits and spreads, was the winner for the dessert course. The wine list is very interesting and well priced. The service was exceptional. Planning my next visit already.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, amazing serviceJessicaVIPDined on 7/28/2014I had a great dining experience this week at Townsend. The appetizer special was a mushroom gnocchi which was a tad overly salty but the gnocchi was soft and perfectly cooked. The sea bass was delicious and perfectly seasoned. As good as our food was, our service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Craig's curselargreenVIPDined on 7/28/2014The restaurant was so busy following the review in Sunday's paper that the expected quite Monday was anything but. The servers tried very hard but the wait between courses was excessive from the onset. The food was served hot and explained properly but we were very hungry and a little impatient by them. 3 hours for a 6:30 seating! Very interesting wine offerings but never offered alternative selections. We will go back when things calm down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!AnniVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went to Townsend Sunday night after reading Craig LeBan's 3 bell review. He was so right!! Over the top service and very creative menu. Excellent!!Special Features:
- So glad I found italp1VIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a fabulous meal on Saturday evening. The escargot, warm vegetable salad, rabbit pot au feu were very well done. The setting is quiet, romantic, and not a bit pretentious. My only disappointment was the chocolate souffle. It seemed more like the typical molten chocolate cake and less like a classic light, airy souffle. Ask for assistance with the wine list. It's a small list but we were guided to an excellent wine that was from a region in France unfamiliar to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceFoodie44Dined on 7/26/2014We arrived slightly earlier than our reservation and were promptly seated and welcomed to the restaurant. Our server Megin was very Professional and knowledgable of the menu. We decided to do a small plate tasting and ordered 9 appetizers and told Megin she can choose the order they arrive. She did a great job by having them come out in flights from lightest to heaviest and lowering the number each flight. All dishes were excellent, best sauces I had at any Philadelphia restaurant. Each were a nice portion. The sweetbreads and veal tounge dish was a standout to me. My wife loved the escargot and I have to agree. Not a bad dish in the bunch. I decided to go over the top and order the lamb entree and it too was spot on. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DazzlingSeaphillyDined on 7/26/2014The food was a new experience & thoroughly wonderful. A small restaurant with great ambience. We could actually hear ourselves & each other. Superb waiter. Meghan. Love this place!!Special Features:
- Townsend is topsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food served by wonderful wait staff and great wine selection. 4 of us had various dishes...escargot, gnocchi, hamschi, sea bass, cod and more. Everything was sublime. They did great job with decor and bar. Area....lovely. Can't wait to go back to try other dishes shortly. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competition for LaurelMediaLeeDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful dining experience with my wife and two friends. I found the scallop appetizer incredible. Three of us had the striped bass which was wonderful, and our fourth had the chicken which he raved over. The chocolate souffle and the Pavlova were a nice finish to a great meal. With Laurel just a few feet away and Fond around the corner we expect to be travelling to East Passyunk frequently.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentJoeDDined on 7/21/2014The staff is very professional, the bar is cozy and servers excellent coctails and the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.