Townhouse Bar and Grill
5862 Doyle Street
Emeryville, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Townhouse Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://townhousebarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 5106526151
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Mid-day Service: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ellen Hope Rosenberg
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not cater on site but will fill to go orders that can be picked up by client.
- Private Party Facilities: A private party is all about you and your group. The Townhouse does not have a private room but we will customize your event's menu and pay detailed attention to all of your requests. The restaurant is available for private party buyouts. We will even open on a Sunday, when we are normally closed, in order to meet your needs or budget.
- Private Party Contact: Mazin Nasser 5106526151
- Special Events: You may take over (buyout) the entire restaurant for your professional or personal events. Although we are closed on Sundays, we are open to a buyout.
- Cross Street: Powell Street
- Public Transit: The free Emery-go-Round that operates from the MaCarthur BART Station will drop you off at 59th Street and Hollis. This puts you at a distance of one and 1/2 blocks from the restaurant. You only need to walk one block up 59th, towards the Oakland Hills, to Doyle and make a right. The Townhouse will be on your left under the big Redwood tree.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a private lot next to the restaurant with space for 30 cars. Unfortunately the lot can be full and the restaurant is only a third full as many people arrive separately. Street parking is reasonably ample and not metered.
A word from Townhouse Bar and Grill
From the Emeryville fireman's dream of a Speakeasy that he built in 1926, to Steve Vernetti, the original Townhouse Speakeasy bartender who along with his family ran it for 35 plus years after Prohibition ended, the TH has been and remains an East Bay institution. Next came the 70's and 80's when country and western bars, music and dancing were at their peak and the theme at the TH. This period is fondly remembered by Cal graduates who continue to visit the Townhouse and reminisce about their dancing days but do not miss the peanut shells and sawdust on the floor. 1990 was the year that Ellen Hope Rosenberg, the current executive chef and owner, took over an ailing TH and resurrected it from top to bottom. From her inspired American-California style menu to the maintenance of the original construction both in and out. This is a restaurant that has a unique story whose food and ambiance is as authentic as the staff are courteous and genuine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Townhouse Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Emeryville ›
Townhouse Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)great for outdoor dining (70)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (49)great for lunch (46)special occasion (34)romantic (23)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Exciting Edibles in EmeryvilleJodiVIPDined on 10/23/2014What a great find. Looks a bit run down from the outside but that just makes what awaits inside more of a gem. Great ambience and very good food. Our group had nothing but wonderful things to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Standby MenuJimmy0Dined on 10/18/2014Basic, tasty menu, but not particularly creative or inspiring. Hearty portions. Scallops were grilled and nicely browned, but soggy. Mashed potatoes with all dishes. Same presentation/arrangement for different dishes. Comfortable setting, unpretentious. Good, courteous service initially until waitstaff disappeared. Nice diverse clientele. Diners seemed to be enjoying their meals as did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistencyBzerkeleyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Year after year. Good food, good service, good bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTownie4everDined on 10/18/2014We've been coming here for many years and the food has been consistently great. The creme brulee is the best in the Bay Area. The halibut dish we had Saturday night was so delicious--the chef make combinations that are so well suited. We LOVE the Townhouse!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/9/2014Outstanding service and we loved our entrees (Steak Cobb Salad and crab sandwich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerLeeannDined on 10/4/2014We went with a small group. We're seated at a nice round table. Food was above expectations. Feels a little funny when you first arrive. But once settled in we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Townhouse!MandTsPlaceDined on 10/3/2014This has been our favorite for a long time. Love the attention, the food, the bar, and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014We chose the Townhouse for a family dinner as my dad lives just down the street. Gorgeous food and very nice service!!Special Features:
- Hidden GemBfpixVIPDined on 10/1/2014We always have a good time here. The food is great and the service is usually good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJenna1961Dined on 9/27/2014Always an excellent experience. I suggest Townhouse to all.Special Features:
- A good spot with slow servicevalwDined on 9/26/2014I took my mom to dinner and between the appetizer and dinner we had a more than 20 minute wait. The waiter helping us said that he had been assigned several tables outside and was working to service them all. I must say that when our food arrived it was hot, no evidence of it sitting around, but the flavors were bland. The creme brulee however was outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014We expected to have a lovely meal, but we were very disappointed. The pot stickers were the highlight for sure, but the salads and entrees were a terrible disappointment. Not impressed by the inattentive service and noisy room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/22/2014A great place for lunch. Food and service were both great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Townhouse for business lunchCarrieInOaklandDined on 9/18/2014There are not too many places for a business lunch in Emeryville and the Townhouse ALWAYS delivers. It's usually packed with office staff celebrating birthdays, the end of a big project, a new employee, etc. There is something for every taste on the menu, including lunch salads which everyone appreciates. I had the grilled chicken sandwich and it was the BEST I've ever had - the ciabatta was perfectly toasted. It's a nice wine-glass-and-table-cloth-and-heavy-cutlery kind of place which makes it feel special. Oh, did I mention the warm bread brought to our table at the beginning of our meal? A very nice touch. Plus the service is excellent - they really staff appropriately for the lunch rush. Thank you, Townhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed this timePickyeaterDined on 9/11/2014All four of us have been here before, but tonight was a miss. Nice serving staff but food was very slow getting out of the kitchen. In fact tables around us that came later were served before us... The food was ok, not great. We won't be rushing to come back, I gave it a fair only.
- Great food, ambience & good deal!EatsouteverydayDined on 9/6/2014We took our out-of-town friends to dinner here, and as always it was great! The service is always excellent and the noise level, while high, makes this a friendly energetic venue. Hubby said his steak was the "best" one he's ever had, and he has been to Ruth's Chris. Our friends' seafood linguine and ribs were fabulous! The only reason I gave only 4 stars for Food, is becuz I had the Thai Steak Salad which in the past had been perfect. But this time I was disappointed. There was only one kind of greens, the vinaigrette was not up to their usual standard, and the steak, tho plentiful, was so salty, it had me downing liquids. But this small "glitch" will not keep us away in the future! It is great for couples, and foursomes.Special Features:
- Emeryville GEM!!!serve2allVIPDined on 9/5/2014For couples or parties. Indoor or out, this is the place for reasonably priced, good food. Ask for Joe, their best waiter, and also what special dishes they are serving that night. Prime rib is delicious. Crab stuffed mushrooms,steak salad, Malbec wine...good cocktails. It is ALL GOOD....and you dont have to re-mortgage the house to pay the bill!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay this timeDisappointedDined on 9/4/2014We had high expectations since we spend almost each teen birthday dinner here. Unfortunately, this year no dessert with candle and no special birthday wishes. My daughter who turned 17 yo was sad and disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014always the right place to have dinner! can't go wrong...Special Features:
- Nice space, food nothing specialaleksandrovskDined on 8/29/2014Nice space but food not on par with prices being charged. Food was OK at best. We had a lovely waiter.
- Townhouse Work FavoritesfdahliagirlDined on 8/27/2014This is the perfect location for work/office lunches. Nice food, very professional atmosphere. Great for getting a working lunch or schmoozing that new client. Not too pretentious but good!Special Features:
- Don't let the Front Door Fool Ya...LonnieMoDined on 8/25/2014Ask for wait staff person, Kevin. He's great! The Townhouse Bar and Grill will work for you for anyone you want to bring to dinner (parents, partners, clients, friends). There is something on the menu for everyone. Relaxed but stylish environment. Tables are laid out on different levels. High ceilings. Unobtrusive Bar row. Sound level of the restaurant is comfortable for conversation. There's the ability to eat outside. The food was that excellent quality without being froufrou. Quantities were ideal for our appetites (husband with protein needs). It's a definite neighborhood gem and do not let the outside exterior fool you. It's a joke all of the steady customers enjoy every time--particularly when bringing new people.Special Features:
- Louder than some, but not obnoxiousImnotaFoodieIjustlikeFoodDined on 8/22/2014Finally managed to convince my parents to visit me, so I took them out for dinner. Previously dined here for company functions. There's a great energy, but my older, traditional parents felt it was loud. Great for hanging out in a nice place without feeling you need to be hushed (or lay off the margueritas) and catching up with a party of friends/coworkers/etc. The service was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and drinkshktbklhVIPDined on 8/21/2014Very good food and cocktails. Our waiter had very good suggestions on dessert wine. We had scallops and pork loin, simple dishes executed well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside Patio....DickensVIPDined on 8/20/2014is the reason I gave the Ambience and Noise level good ratings. Food is great, service a little slow the night we were there AND their outdoor patio is very pleasant and welcomes our well-behaved canine friends!!! I am definitely going back and recommending to my four-legged friends and their owners. LCHSpecial Features:
- Iconic place/ great food & serviceserve2allVIPDined on 8/8/2014Locals know it as the old speak-easy with quality food, great bar scene and even has a great waiter (ask for Joe and you will see). There for a birthday and all the buttons were pressed. From delicious veggie dishes to great and reasonably priced prime rib ( better than Kincaids and cheaper)...this is the place to go. Friendly crowd adds to the fun. When they brought out the candled piece of birthday cake the whole place sang. Bar knows how to make a martini, waiter knows what to recommend (I had crab stuffed halibut that was excellent). Outdoor dining on enclosed patio is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014this is nothing more, and certainly nothing less, than a reasonably priced, a bit noisy, fun, place to have dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Good Eatsfoodie2Dined on 8/5/2014Great food generous portions love the valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Favorite Lunchtime spotPJS415Dined on 8/4/2014Friendly, attentive service. Fun atmosphere. Great menu selection the Thai Steak Salad is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool lunch in EVilleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014wonderful spot in unique setting, innovative food, great stuffed halibut, well worth the trip to EVille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many years oif good memoriesDocandGDined on 7/30/2014The Townhouse is always a pleasure. The menu changes, updates, and experiments. I saw a couple of things I want to try so will be back again soon. All diners, whether entrees, just appetizers or salads, were served with smiles, conversation, and high quality of care . Thank you.Special Features:
- Good Food, Friendly Staff!caroljoeDined on 7/26/2014And an enjoyable evening. It is a tad noisy, but that would be expected of a busy restaurant on a Saturday night. We will 100% return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsdrdebzDined on 7/25/2014I have been coming here since the late 90's and I am NEVER disappointed. During the summer/fall season, they open the outdoor seating and it's always a great time. Came last night with my son and again, great food and the patio was perfect. Always a treat to come by and break bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmosphereElizabethDined on 7/25/2014Townhouse is one of very few restaurants where I want to order almost everything on the menu. We had Nicoise Salad and a seafood pasta dish and every element was wonderfully cooked and presented. Very fresh-tasting seafood and shellfish. The chef left the shells on the big shrimp (the only way to get the deepest flavor), but split the shells down the back so they were simple to eat. Brownie sundae was spectacular; the brownie was warm, ice cream rich vanilla, and carmelized pecans added great crunch. Can get pretty noisy when the long tables for 10-12 in the middle of the room start celebrating, but there are plenty of tables away from the center if you want to have a quieter conversation. I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent time!nipnellDined on 7/19/2014We got there a half hour before our reservation and had a glass of wine at the bar bartender was very friendly and accommodating. believe her name was Angela. sat down for dinner and had the mushroom appetizer which was excellent. prime ribs which I think was the best prime rib ever had even better than the house of prime rib in San Francisco. girlfriend had the peppercorn filet both were cooked exactly how we wanted them. desert and the service was excellent. We can't wait to go back again. thank you for the wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaffKataikoDined on 7/11/2014The wait staff are very patient and attentive. They did not rush ordering and made the diners feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I usually love this restaurant, but we had a TERRIBLE, LAZY and borderline RUDE waiter. It ruined our evening which was a business dinner.
- Customer AppreciationROC94546Dined on 7/10/2014Recently I had an opportunity to award one of my customers with a sales award. I picked Townhouse since I had been there before and it was also close to my customers office. In addition to my customer surprise to the award the afternoon was made just that much better when both our meals were just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local placeKdragonDined on 7/9/2014Townhouse Bar & Grill offers a menu that can accommodate a wide variety of dietary needs and preferences. I love that it looks like a questionable dive from the outside and surprises you when you walk in to an open, airy and rustic interior. The wait staff is well-trained and attentive without being overbearing. The food is very good and satisfying. The only thing I'd like to see different is the acoustics. It's very hard to have a one-on-one conversation because of the noise in the restaurant due to the high, open ceiling. I guess it's a trade off for the nice interior. When the weather's nice, it's easier to converse on the outdoor deck area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!winecountrygemDined on 7/7/2014It is such a treat to have lunch at Townhouse Bar & Grill. We split 2 appetizers and a salad and it was all delicious! Bloody Mary's are pretty darn good to boot!Special Features: