Townhouse Bar and Grill
5862 Doyle Street
Emeryville, CA 94608Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Townhouse Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://townhousebarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 5106526151
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Mid-day Service: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ellen Hope Rosenberg
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not cater on site but will fill to go orders that can be picked up by client.
- Private Party Facilities: A private party is all about you and your group. The Townhouse does not have a private room but we will customize your event's menu and pay detailed attention to all of your requests. The restaurant is available for private party buyouts. We will even open on a Sunday, when we are normally closed, in order to meet your needs or budget.
- Private Party Contact: Mazin Nasser 5106526151
- Special Events: You may take over (buyout) the entire restaurant for your professional or personal events. Although we are closed on Sundays, we are open to a buyout.
- Cross Street: Powell Street
- Public Transit: The free Emery-go-Round that operates from the MaCarthur BART Station will drop you off at 59th Street and Hollis. This puts you at a distance of one and 1/2 blocks from the restaurant. You only need to walk one block up 59th, towards the Oakland Hills, to Doyle and make a right. The Townhouse will be on your left under the big Redwood tree.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a private lot next to the restaurant with space for 30 cars. Unfortunately the lot can be full and the restaurant is only a third full as many people arrive separately. Street parking is reasonably ample and not metered.
A word from Townhouse Bar and Grill
From the Emeryville fireman's dream of a Speakeasy that he built in 1926, to Steve Vernetti, the original Townhouse Speakeasy bartender who along with his family ran it for 35 plus years after Prohibition ended, the TH has been and remains an East Bay institution. Next came the 70's and 80's when country and western bars, music and dancing were at their peak and the theme at the TH. This period is fondly remembered by Cal graduates who continue to visit the Townhouse and reminisce about their dancing days but do not miss the peanut shells and sawdust on the floor. 1990 was the year that Ellen Hope Rosenberg, the current executive chef and owner, took over an ailing TH and resurrected it from top to bottom. From her inspired American-California style menu to the maintenance of the original construction both in and out. This is a restaurant that has a unique story whose food and ambiance is as authentic as the staff are courteous and genuine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Townhouse Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Emeryville ›
Townhouse Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)great for outdoor dining (67)great for lunch (52)good for groups (50)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (37)romantic (28)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (13)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Missed this timePickyeaterDined on 9/11/2014All four of us have been here before, but tonight was a miss. Nice serving staff but food was very slow getting out of the kitchen. In fact tables around us that came later were served before us... The food was ok, not great. We won't be rushing to come back, I gave it a fair only.
- Great food, ambience & good deal!EatsouteverydayDined on 9/6/2014We took our out-of-town friends to dinner here, and as always it was great! The service is always excellent and the noise level, while high, makes this a friendly energetic venue. Hubby said his steak was the "best" one he's ever had, and he has been to Ruth's Chris. Our friends' seafood linguine and ribs were fabulous! The only reason I gave only 4 stars for Food, is becuz I had the Thai Steak Salad which in the past had been perfect. But this time I was disappointed. There was only one kind of greens, the vinaigrette was not up to their usual standard, and the steak, tho plentiful, was so salty, it had me downing liquids. But this small "glitch" will not keep us away in the future! It is great for couples, and foursomes.Special Features:
- Emeryville GEM!!!serve2allVIPDined on 9/5/2014For couples or parties. Indoor or out, this is the place for reasonably priced, good food. Ask for Joe, their best waiter, and also what special dishes they are serving that night. Prime rib is delicious. Crab stuffed mushrooms,steak salad, Malbec wine...good cocktails. It is ALL GOOD....and you dont have to re-mortgage the house to pay the bill!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay this timeDisappointedDined on 9/4/2014We had high expectations since we spend almost each teen birthday dinner here. Unfortunately, this year no dessert with candle and no special birthday wishes. My daughter who turned 17 yo was sad and disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014always the right place to have dinner! can't go wrong...Special Features:
- Nice space, food nothing specialaleksandrovskDined on 8/29/2014Nice space but food not on par with prices being charged. Food was OK at best. We had a lovely waiter.
- Townhouse Work FavoritesfdahliagirlDined on 8/27/2014This is the perfect location for work/office lunches. Nice food, very professional atmosphere. Great for getting a working lunch or schmoozing that new client. Not too pretentious but good!Special Features:
- Don't let the Front Door Fool Ya...LonnieMoDined on 8/25/2014Ask for wait staff person, Kevin. He's great! The Townhouse Bar and Grill will work for you for anyone you want to bring to dinner (parents, partners, clients, friends). There is something on the menu for everyone. Relaxed but stylish environment. Tables are laid out on different levels. High ceilings. Unobtrusive Bar row. Sound level of the restaurant is comfortable for conversation. There's the ability to eat outside. The food was that excellent quality without being froufrou. Quantities were ideal for our appetites (husband with protein needs). It's a definite neighborhood gem and do not let the outside exterior fool you. It's a joke all of the steady customers enjoy every time--particularly when bringing new people.Special Features:
- Louder than some, but not obnoxiousImnotaFoodieIjustlikeFoodDined on 8/22/2014Finally managed to convince my parents to visit me, so I took them out for dinner. Previously dined here for company functions. There's a great energy, but my older, traditional parents felt it was loud. Great for hanging out in a nice place without feeling you need to be hushed (or lay off the margueritas) and catching up with a party of friends/coworkers/etc. The service was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and drinkshktbklhDined on 8/21/2014Very good food and cocktails. Our waiter had very good suggestions on dessert wine. We had scallops and pork loin, simple dishes executed well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside Patio....DickensVIPDined on 8/20/2014is the reason I gave the Ambience and Noise level good ratings. Food is great, service a little slow the night we were there AND their outdoor patio is very pleasant and welcomes our well-behaved canine friends!!! I am definitely going back and recommending to my four-legged friends and their owners. LCHSpecial Features:
- Iconic place/ great food & serviceserve2allVIPDined on 8/8/2014Locals know it as the old speak-easy with quality food, great bar scene and even has a great waiter (ask for Joe and you will see). There for a birthday and all the buttons were pressed. From delicious veggie dishes to great and reasonably priced prime rib ( better than Kincaids and cheaper)...this is the place to go. Friendly crowd adds to the fun. When they brought out the candled piece of birthday cake the whole place sang. Bar knows how to make a martini, waiter knows what to recommend (I had crab stuffed halibut that was excellent). Outdoor dining on enclosed patio is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014this is nothing more, and certainly nothing less, than a reasonably priced, a bit noisy, fun, place to have dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Good Eatsfoodie2Dined on 8/5/2014Great food generous portions love the valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Favorite Lunchtime spotPJS415Dined on 8/4/2014Friendly, attentive service. Fun atmosphere. Great menu selection the Thai Steak Salad is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool lunch in EVilleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014wonderful spot in unique setting, innovative food, great stuffed halibut, well worth the trip to EVille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many years oif good memoriesDocandGDined on 7/30/2014The Townhouse is always a pleasure. The menu changes, updates, and experiments. I saw a couple of things I want to try so will be back again soon. All diners, whether entrees, just appetizers or salads, were served with smiles, conversation, and high quality of care . Thank you.Special Features:
- Good Food, Friendly Staff!caroljoeDined on 7/26/2014And an enjoyable evening. It is a tad noisy, but that would be expected of a busy restaurant on a Saturday night. We will 100% return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsdrdebzDined on 7/25/2014I have been coming here since the late 90's and I am NEVER disappointed. During the summer/fall season, they open the outdoor seating and it's always a great time. Came last night with my son and again, great food and the patio was perfect. Always a treat to come by and break bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmosphereElizabethDined on 7/25/2014Townhouse is one of very few restaurants where I want to order almost everything on the menu. We had Nicoise Salad and a seafood pasta dish and every element was wonderfully cooked and presented. Very fresh-tasting seafood and shellfish. The chef left the shells on the big shrimp (the only way to get the deepest flavor), but split the shells down the back so they were simple to eat. Brownie sundae was spectacular; the brownie was warm, ice cream rich vanilla, and carmelized pecans added great crunch. Can get pretty noisy when the long tables for 10-12 in the middle of the room start celebrating, but there are plenty of tables away from the center if you want to have a quieter conversation. I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent time!nipnellDined on 7/19/2014We got there a half hour before our reservation and had a glass of wine at the bar bartender was very friendly and accommodating. believe her name was Angela. sat down for dinner and had the mushroom appetizer which was excellent. prime ribs which I think was the best prime rib ever had even better than the house of prime rib in San Francisco. girlfriend had the peppercorn filet both were cooked exactly how we wanted them. desert and the service was excellent. We can't wait to go back again. thank you for the wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaffKataikoDined on 7/11/2014The wait staff are very patient and attentive. They did not rush ordering and made the diners feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I usually love this restaurant, but we had a TERRIBLE, LAZY and borderline RUDE waiter. It ruined our evening which was a business dinner.
- Customer AppreciationROC94546Dined on 7/10/2014Recently I had an opportunity to award one of my customers with a sales award. I picked Townhouse since I had been there before and it was also close to my customers office. In addition to my customer surprise to the award the afternoon was made just that much better when both our meals were just fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local placeKdragonDined on 7/9/2014Townhouse Bar & Grill offers a menu that can accommodate a wide variety of dietary needs and preferences. I love that it looks like a questionable dive from the outside and surprises you when you walk in to an open, airy and rustic interior. The wait staff is well-trained and attentive without being overbearing. The food is very good and satisfying. The only thing I'd like to see different is the acoustics. It's very hard to have a one-on-one conversation because of the noise in the restaurant due to the high, open ceiling. I guess it's a trade off for the nice interior. When the weather's nice, it's easier to converse on the outdoor deck area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!winecountrygemDined on 7/7/2014It is such a treat to have lunch at Townhouse Bar & Grill. We split 2 appetizers and a salad and it was all delicious! Bloody Mary's are pretty darn good to boot!Special Features:
- BIG PROBLEM.serve2allVIPDined on 7/5/2014I ordered halibut dinner...but waiter brought me salmon instead...so I had to watch my companions eat their entrees while I waited for my halibut. This is not what I expected...and of course, I informed the manager but no one offered to take the halibut off our bill for this poor service that ruined out dinner experience. This is NOT a sign of a good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleannaDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant has an open feel and modern vibe. Menu was varied for each of us to make a choice that we enjoyed. We went with the house wine- very good. Wasn't crowded, the day before a holiday. They paid attention to my request for a "quiet corner" and it was mentioned as a consideration when we were seated. Good place for a "ladies lunch". Ready to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real neighborhood gemdakrunchVIPDined on 7/1/2014I have been going to the Townhouse for years now, and I never stop appreciating the consistency. Always great cocktails, wonderful appetizers (artichoke crab dip is a must) and solid entrees. Service is always impeccable and friendly. A real outstanding gem in the Emeryville scene.Special Features:
- Never disappointedcelebrationVIPDined on 6/30/2014I have eaten here many times over several years and never disappointed. Angela was a great server though dirty plates could have been scooped up sooner. The thai steak salad was big enough to eat half and save the other half for lunch the next day. the bruschetta with perfectly sliced avocados was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute place, just ok everything elsejgro415Dined on 6/26/2014Had a reservation at 7pm for 2. We sat at our table for at least 15 minutes before we were approached by our waiter. The first thing he said was "So your fine with waters?" We said no, we wanted cocktails from the bar. We got to the point we asked our waiter if he could check on our entrees, which were sitting in the kitchen. We felt our fish to make sure it wasn't cold. I was surprised. I had heard a lot of good things about this place. The halibut was cooked perfectly, but the blueberry salsa had no fusion, it was really just tomatoes and blueberries. Beet salad was really good, and the polenta was just ok. Overall, not a super fantastic experience.
- Always excellentkjmcdDined on 6/26/2014I've been dining at the Townhouse for over twenty years and its consistently excellent food, service, and overall ambience has never failed to impress me and my guests.Special Features:
- Quirky, but with GREAT food!DivingDancerDined on 6/21/2014The standard menu covers all of the traditional bases, but with interesting local interpretations. The specials each night are fantastic! Although you could certainly spend a lot of money on a meal, the menu has a great range of pricing. It's possible to get out with an entrée and a glass of wine, plus tip, with the total being in the $30 range. For food this good, it's a great value. This restaurant is also very accommodating of large parties.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2014Don't let the outside fool you, this restaurant is casual chic! I love the modern yet warm and comfortable "barn-like" feel to the pretty dining room. The well-stocked bar displays many options while the bartenders take time preparing wonderful cocktails. We were eating on the light side and really enjoyed the potstickers and salads. All fresh and flavorful and served by attentive, friendly staff. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch in an area that needs itJFGilbertVIPDined on 6/20/2014I have had lunch there a few times now, and it has always been very nice. The service is both friendly and professional and the food excellent, if not very creative.Special Features:
- Great ChoiceKemoDined on 6/19/2014From the outside, questionable. From the inside, outstanding. This is a great neighborhood restaurant with wonderful service and great food.Special Features:
- Table 44CozycelebratorDined on 6/14/2014If you want a quiet table for two to celebrate something special, ask for table 44. It was a perfect table for our 44th wedding anniversary! The food was wonderful too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/10/2014As always, we loved the garlic fries and calamari. This time I tried the open faced crab sandwich and it was really tasty!Special Features:
- Iconic Gem for drinks and dinnerserve2allVIPDined on 6/7/2014Full bar that is friendly. Dinner choices for every appetite...from veggie dishes to Prime Rib. Enjoyed the malbec by the glass. Original achitecture...just as it was when it was a speakeasy many years ago. A good place to bring out of town guests...a charming peak at the old Emeryville, when it was the Red Light Distric fro the Navy lads stationed in Alameda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alfresco lunchCaliBoyDined on 6/5/2014Friends from SF came over the bridge for some sun. Karl The Fog was lingering but we were seated on deck in a protected corner. Fence was a great wind break. Server 'Koffi' recommended mojitos. Perfect! Then some killer apps of garlic fries and calamari. Now the sun was warming us up. Ordered the Thai steak salad and a second mojito. We were getting loud but the lunch crowd had gone back to work. Great spot for a midweek lunch. Valet parking made it easy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.