3435 Waialae Avenue #103
Honolulu, HI 96813Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townkaimuki.com/
- Phone: (808) 735-5900
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ed Kenney and David Caldiero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Town
"Local first, organic whenever possible, and with Aloha always" is the mantra upon which this unpretentious neighborhood bistro was founded. With a menu that changes daily to reflect the freshest market ingredients, Town features hand-cut pastas and gnocchi, slow-braised meats, fresh local seafood, a wine list of small artisan producers, and hand-crafted cocktails. Drawing inspiration from classic recipes of the Mediterranean, Town's cuisine is best described as Contemporary American with an Italian sensibility, where the ingredients are allowed to shine and nothing is wasted. With bar and "dog-friendly" patio seating reserved for walk-in guests, the restaurant has become a favorite for casual impromptu dining as well as for special occasions. Town is located in hip Kaimuki, just minutes from Waikiki, and is loved by locals and visitors alike. Go to Town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Town reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (114)hot spot (48)special occasion (39)great for lunch (39)great for outdoor dining (38)notable wine list (32)good for groups (32)romantic (23)great for brunch (18)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Dining ExperienxceHomeHawaiiVIPDined on 11/22/2014The dining at Town is a very memorable experience. Menu selections are creative and tasty. Service was perfect. The only issues are the noise level that can be challenging to table conversation and the parking is tedious (can you say - valet parking). Despite the loud ambient chatter and frustrating search for a parking space the restaurant is an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014We have eaten here twice, both times the food and service was fantastic, both times we are indoors and it was loud, too loud to talk in a normal voice and be heard. The food is so good, we will come back, but maybe try outdoors and deal with the traffic. Make no mistake, the food and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never had a disappointing meal hereluluDined on 11/17/2014one of the only places in honolulu which serves paiai in a variety of combinations. you never know what they are going to pair the paiai with...veges, meat, its a fabulous oral surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal dinner there 11/14/14.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014My husband had their tasting menu, with the paired wines - every single dish was wonderful. I had their pork belly and creamy polenta with bitter greens (sauteed with mac nuts and raisins), and their MA'O green salad with pancetta. One of the best meals we've ever had, EVER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable MealHNLDINERDined on 11/13/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Honolulu. Great food and beverages. Always have an enjoyable meal. Like sitting outside as well. Feels like you have more space and can be a little less loud than inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eh..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014My friends and I were excited to try this place for weeks. Sad to say we were disappointed. The food was ok. I Ordered risotto.. Barely any rabbit and on the bland side. Friend ordered gnocchi, it was severely under cooked. Arrived at 8:20ish, waited for a friend, ordered at 8:45, food didn't come until 9:45. Our server acted like she didn't want to talk, made no apologies for the ridiculous wait, handled our bill incorrectly... We asked for a manager on staff, and the person in charge handled the situation gracefully. She was kind and offered us a discount, with dessert on the house. Overall, I wouldn't bother coming back. The food was not worth the money spent and the service is below par.Special Features:
- a nice change off the beaten pathaileenaVIPDined on 11/8/2014We learned of Town on a recommend and were pleasantly surprised by our visit. I had the chef's choice tasting menu,which for $65 was a fair price for delicious small tastes which included a flaky "cookie" with a mushroom filling, light local salad with fresh butternut squash, a tasty potato cake, perfectly cooked fish,hog pasta and chocolate tart...couldn't finish..hog was a little adventurous in taste but for a foodie willing to try new things, a nice bite. Overall, a nice feel, pleasant service, anxious to please and knowledgeable but not restaurant snobby. Heard menu changes daily which was evident in the food's freshness. Only tough thing was finding parking on a Saturday night, but worth a short stroll on a beautiful Hawaiian eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceDingoDined on 11/1/2014Fish good. Pasta poor. Butternut squash tasted good, but not exactly what expected. Server had too many tables. Overrated in my opinion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talk of the TownShanchinDined on 10/30/2014So glad we took a chance by reading the reviews. Excellent food! Just what we needed to end our vacation on such a positive note. The staff was very friendly and took a long time explaining the menu. My hand-cut pasta was perfect and so flavorful. The mussels are outstanding.Special Features:
- Reliable foodPickyeaterDined on 10/29/2014We eat here regularly. The food is consistently good. The service can be spotty. This time, our server was friendly and responsive. Jada was attentive and efficient. When one order came out wrong she brought a bowl of soup so the person could eat something. While they waited. Thanks, Jada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food -- bad parkingPeterDined on 10/24/2014I've heard about TOWN when I saw Ed Kenney & Alan Wong on "Family Ingredients" (http://familyingredients.com/pilot-episode/) Since then I've always wanted to try it. The food was tasty and local grown, very friendly aloha service, and overall great experience for lunch. (Support our local business owners!) It was a little noisy and parking is frustrating (I parked down the street Palolo side). This was hard because I had my elderly Aunty and Mom with me. Overall the whole experience was great. I would go again and I'll be ready for the parking search!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Our service was excellent and food amazing. well done staff at Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie DelightAlex808Dined on 10/17/2014The good was amazing. Town had a great ambiance and vibe. Servicw was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic dinner !!!KKnMCDined on 10/16/2014Epic dinner! Great service! The pa'i'ai is always the best!!! The mussels were outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies heavenAshlandLavenderDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is wondrous for foodies. Ingredients are fresh and locally sourced. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem away from touristsEatSWellDined on 10/13/2014Try the sampling off the menu with wine pairing. Lots of local deliciousness. Parking is a pain but worth it. Make a reservation or you will miss out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Organic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2014The food was great all fresh. I wished the portion was a little bit bigger. Great ambiance. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Great experience!SumnerjDined on 10/10/2014Spectacular mushroom risotto, nicely composed beet salad, and wonderful Meyer lemon sorbet --- great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodSurfgirl808Dined on 10/6/2014My friends and I shared 4 different starters and each dish was beautiful as well as delicious. The combinations of taste, color and texture were all unique and often surprising. Each of our entrees was excellent and everyone was happy. It was a warm evening and we sat outside enjoying the beautiful Hawaiian air. It was a little quieter outside than inside, too. We love this place!Special Features:
- Tasty local and freshFoxieCoxieDined on 10/4/2014The menu here changes frequently; I wish I was going to be in town long enough to give it another go! My sever was very kind and helpful with suggestions and explained the ingredients that were foreign to me. A little slow but it was a Saturday night and I dined alone. If I'd had company I probably wouldn't have noticed. Food was fresh and delicious. I had Opah with lentils and local veggies and enjoyed every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday at the TownLynn1952Dined on 10/4/2014Food was great. Service was attentive but no invasive. Great time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighbor gemdinnerfor6Dined on 10/3/2014Food was excellent and offered some not often seen items like rabbit. Decent wine list. Only negative - bathroom could have been a little closer and cleaner and the parking wasn't good but that's to be expected anywhere on Waialae AveSpecial Features:
- Not a good dollar valueTellinitlikeitisDined on 10/2/2014Don't get me wrong, top rating from me, but when it comes to value for dollar, a bit overrated. Portions weren't that great. A bit expensive for the amount of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it despite the flawsGeckogrrlDined on 10/2/2014I forgive Town's terrible service (glacially slow & frequently forgetful) time and time again because the food is almost always stellar. But it shouldn't take 3 hours to eat dinner unless you want it to. And the noise level there is pretty off the hook too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014The three of us ordered the grass fed burgers…one with cheese, one with bacon and cheese, and the other plain. Also, we all ordered them either cooked medium or medium well. Upon receiving the meals, there were many mixups with the orders: no bacon, cheese on the wrong one, all totally overcooked, etc. The female server who took our order appeared totally confused (don’t know her name….) and tended to blame the kitchen for the mixups. However, all three of the burgers were cooked so well done that they actually were so much smaller than the buns. A second server appeared 12 minutes later with a new burger and asked "which one of you wanted the redo?" When we said no one, she rolled her eyes at us, and left in a huff! POOR showing.
- Love it!!!nelsonVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always, always good. Wonderful local, neighborhood place to go. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Always a treat to dine hereMJC808VIPDined on 9/26/2014Friends visiting from Washington state were in town and what better place to take them than Town restaurant where the food is consistently prepared well and my favorite dishes of the chicken, hand cut pasta, gnocchi and any of their salads are always sure to please. For dessert we always get the lemon sorbet and the panna cotta. Many restaurants have panna cotta on their menu but the one at Town is one of THE best versions out there. A wonderful meal was enjoyed by the locals and visitors at our table.Special Features:
- Sophistication at its finest!Foodie808Dined on 9/24/2014The energy level is great, you feel like you're in a cafe in New York! Servers were excellent, the freshness and creativity of the food was on point! I'm obsessed with the mussels! Oozes chic-ness, a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!mcbobbyVIPDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Everything organic when available, local, and freshly made. Order the homemade Gnocchi. They're light, not heavy or gooey. Great changing menu and highly inspired. Recommended for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond-in-the-roughExIslanderDined on 9/22/2014I first heard of Chef Ed Kenney while watching an episode that Hawaiian Airlines had featured on their flight entertainment. I knew instantly that I wanted to dine at his restaurant, Town. The food and service was a first class experience. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Noise level was bearable, we were not shouting to hear each other. We did not wait long for our entrees to arrive, dinner was superb. Town is truly a diamond-in-the-rough.Special Features:
- Friday Night in TownJAHglassDined on 9/19/2014I've been to Town numerous times. Good environment, friendly and prompt waitstaff, awesome food. That's all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eats!ronster73Dined on 9/18/2014I had dinner here for my girlfriend's birthday. We had a great time. We were able to have great conversation due to the atmosphere. The food was delicious. I let my girlfriend order and we had a appetizer and shared two entrees. I would highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Menu ItemsKailuaboyDined on 9/16/2014I was pleased by the new twist to menu items such as the steamed mussels with fennel & pepper. The mussels were so plump, juicy and flavorful. Another person had fried mashed taro with pastrami and another had fresh gnocchi which was perfectly seasoned and soft. My ono (fish) on a bed of pureed bread fruit accompanied with bitter greens was very flavorful and plentiful. Others in our party had the strip loin steak and the opah fish. Servings were generous so we had lots of leftovers which were just as good the next day. The menu changes everyday to offer the freshest ingredients so I look forward to returning some day to see what's new on the menu.Special Features:
- Amazing!cheeseDined on 9/15/2014We came from Japan for our vacation and had a lunch during our stay in Waikiki. The food we had (Linguini, Bruschetta and soup of the day) were awesome and the staff is very friendly and professional. We would definitely like to dine here again and thank you for providing us with a wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local flavorsFoodguruVIPDined on 9/11/2014Every time I'm in Honolulu for work we come here. Ahi tuna, beets and special salad is a must. The black mussels with fennel is always excellent. Have Sunshine the bar tender make you a Vieux Carre. Thanks, Sunshine, for being a great host at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper echelonmvfgDined on 9/10/2014I've heard of Town before and it was all extremely positive so it was no surprise that it met my high expectations. There are a number of really great restaurants on Hawaii. Merriman's and Red Water on the Big Island, Roy's on all the islands, Town is right up there. Its nice too because it isn't at all pretentious but serves highly evolved cuisine using the freshest of ingredients. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I was dining alone but I wasn't at all lacking for company.Special Features:
- Love it!!!nelsonVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Honolulu. Service is great. Very creative menu. We've never had a bad meal here. Go and enjoy.Special Features:
- Lovely gemxoxopriDined on 9/4/2014Dined there for the first time during my annual trip to Hawaii with a group of my girlfriends and had such a great time. The service was amazing, very relaxed and calm ambiance. The lights are a perfectly dimmed, noise level is low, and the food is great! It would be an awesome date spot! The wine/bar looked +++; unfortunately, I was not able to take advantage of that because I was pregnant during my visit : ( I would definitely recommend this place to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in HonoluluVisitorsfromKauaiDined on 8/30/2014We had another great dinner at Town on Saturday night. We had the same thing as last time because we liked it so much- shared mussels to start, then hand cut pasta with pork bits and the sometimes elusive gnocchi (fortunately they had some left as it is usually gone early). A nice Italian white wine for $30. We were somewhat concerned when a group of 16 came in and sat near us, but service remained excellent (thaks Jayda) and the group was remarkably quiet. In fact we ended up joining in the birthday party! Next time we may branch out and try the fish, which looked very good at the next table.Special Features:
- Awesome!Barber0320Dined on 8/29/2014This was our second time coming here and we were just as happy as the first time we went! The food is cooked perfectly! The fish almost just melts in your mouth! The waitresses are on top of things and so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.