3435 Waialae Avenue #103
Honolulu, HI 96813Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townkaimuki.com/
- Phone: 8087355900
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ed Kenney and David Caldiero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Town
"Local first, organic whenever possible, and with Aloha always" is the mantra upon which this unpretentious neighborhood bistro was founded. With a menu that changes daily to reflect the freshest market ingredients, Town features hand-cut pastas and gnocchi, slow-braised meats, fresh local seafood, a wine list of small artisan producers, and hand-crafted cocktails. Drawing inspiration from classic recipes of the Mediterranean, Town's cuisine is best described as Contemporary American with an Italian sensibility, where the ingredients are allowed to shine and nothing is wasted. With bar and "dog-friendly" patio seating reserved for walk-in guests, the restaurant has become a favorite for casual impromptu dining as well as for special occasions. Town is located in hip Kaimuki, just minutes from Waikiki, and is loved by locals and visitors alike. Go to Town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Town reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (106)great for lunch (51)special occasion (45)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (34)good for groups (32)romantic (25)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (24)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- Unique Menu ItemsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014I was pleased by the new twist to menu items such as the steamed mussels with fennel & pepper. The mussels were so plump, juicy and flavorful. Another person had fried mashed taro with pastrami and another had fresh gnocchi which was perfectly seasoned and soft. My ono (fish) on a bed of pureed bread fruit accompanied with bitter greens was very flavorful and plentiful. Others in our party had the strip loin steak and the opah fish. Servings were generous so we had lots of leftovers which were just as good the next day. The menu changes everyday to offer the freshest ingredients so I look forward to returning some day to see what's new on the menu.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We came from Japan for our vacation and had a lunch during our stay in Waikiki. The food we had (Linguini, Bruschetta and soup of the day) were awesome and the staff is very friendly and professional. We would definitely like to dine here again and thank you for providing us with a wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local flavorsFoodguruVIPDined on 9/11/2014Every time I'm in Honolulu for work we come here. Ahi tuna, beets and special salad is a must. The black mussels with fennel is always excellent. Have Sunshine the bar tender make you a Vieux Carre. Thanks, Sunshine, for being a great host at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper echelonmvfgDined on 9/10/2014I've heard of Town before and it was all extremely positive so it was no surprise that it met my high expectations. There are a number of really great restaurants on Hawaii. Merriman's and Red Water on the Big Island, Roy's on all the islands, Town is right up there. Its nice too because it isn't at all pretentious but serves highly evolved cuisine using the freshest of ingredients. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I was dining alone but I wasn't at all lacking for company.Special Features:
- Love it!!!nelsonVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Honolulu. Service is great. Very creative menu. We've never had a bad meal here. Go and enjoy.Special Features:
- Our favorite in HonoluluVisitorsfromKauaiDined on 8/30/2014We had another great dinner at Town on Saturday night. We had the same thing as last time because we liked it so much- shared mussels to start, then hand cut pasta with pork bits and the sometimes elusive gnocchi (fortunately they had some left as it is usually gone early). A nice Italian white wine for $30. We were somewhat concerned when a group of 16 came in and sat near us, but service remained excellent (thaks Jayda) and the group was remarkably quiet. In fact we ended up joining in the birthday party! Next time we may branch out and try the fish, which looked very good at the next table.Special Features:
- Awesome!Barber0320Dined on 8/29/2014This was our second time coming here and we were just as happy as the first time we went! The food is cooked perfectly! The fish almost just melts in your mouth! The waitresses are on top of things and so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ripening nicelyDavidVIPDined on 8/28/2014Town's menu is still annoying and needs a glossary, but that keeps us diners humble. There's always something to learn. This time we learned about a delightful white wine, pig and poi in its most eloquent expression (more pa'i'ia in that pa'i'ai appetizer, please), and the best cooked green papaya I've had in a restaurant. Several dinning couples practicing the art of balancing virtual and actual connectedness made for an amusing social scene, when we weren't engrossed in our own conversation. Although Town is now so well established elegant black tour busses pull up and unload, it remains fresh. The unwavering commitment to quality local means a hui hou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misses the markHenryDined on 8/26/2014Great concept that doesn't deliver. Great to be organic and local but it still has to taste good. An expensive mistake.
- Murakiyuki@gmail.comKetomamaVIPDined on 8/25/2014As usual everything was great. Love their salads and appetizers. We did family style and tried every dish and even shared the pannacotta and pie. Coffee was rich and good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fresh food, sort of blah staffmrswolfwoodDined on 8/25/2014The food here was great, very good salads and entree selection. The service was a bit less so, with our waitress disappearing for extended periods of time and seeming to be a bit impatient with us in general. Still, everyone enjoyed their food and I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star food, svc, needs better a/cMynahPointDined on 8/23/2014Always a treet, eclectic, changeable menu, libations, creatively made with obvious farm to table foodie love. But, if it is summer, god help you if you get seated at the back of the restaurant, it was sweltering. We nearly fainted.Special Features:
- Always a positive adventureHnlDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food, excellent service and a casual spot to enjoy friends, food and conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Nicely prepared food using local ingredients with a modern sensibility, and bustling atmosphere. In New York a restaurant with these kinds of dishes would take the presentation up a notch and serve smaller portions, and it wouldn't be a bad thing, but on the Honolulu food scene, Town is a real standout, particularly in this price range. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealdebDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Hadn't been for a while, and noticed that they have done some remodeling, dining room is no longer so industrial which makes for a more quieter dining experience. The food was great, fresh local ingredients, I had the ono with ulu (bread fruit) which I thoroughly enjoyed. started with the beet salad, another good choice. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great with potential for moreWinendineDined on 8/15/2014Seated in hottest back part of restaurant despite making reservations. Twice the steak wasn't cooked as ordered (once our table- under; next table - overcooked); brought wrong wine. Menu so interesting and everything else excellent - just seems like some carelessness from host, waiter and chef holding them back. Just our bad luck (I hope )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resting on laurelsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014I have always loved this restaurant and always try to go when I am visiting Honolulu from San Francisco. I also frequently recommend Town to friends. But the last few meals have been disappointing with a number of dishes quite overpriced. The service was poor with my drink arriving long after my dining companions' wine arrived and only after reminding the servers. The food was also quite slow in coming and they badly burned a side dish. I get the feeling the owner is spreading himself too thin with his new ventures and know this restaurant will remain popular due to its well-earned reputation over the years. But having had at least three uninspired and overpriced meals, I will find another go-to restaurant for quality casual dining.
- lunch experienceYIMFATDined on 8/13/2014Menu should describe entrées better. My guest had the pork loin w/risotto. When it arrived, we both looked at it and I said "Where's the beef(pork). 2 slivers of pork loin accompanied the risotto...which by the way was DELICIOUS!!! I had the chicken breast w/polenta which was excellent...not a lover of polenta but this one was super. It took a while for our food to arrive and the restaurant was a fourth full. I'd definitely go back again, especially with my husband who loves risotto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fit for a presidentBakesvihappyDined on 8/11/2014A friend who recently went to Hawaii recommended Town as the pick of his Hawaiian dining experiences. I couldn't agree more. On our way from the hotel, taxi driver knew about it, also explained president Obama frequents when in, er, town. This set out expectations high. And they mostly delivered. Antonio and Leela our waitress looked after us with a smile efficiently and with enthusiasm. Family style serving made the group meal very affordable and food was plentiful. Vegetarian options available. Loved the fresh local and organic produce. Pork belly was to die for. Swordfish dish was the only let down. Banana cream pie was superb. Mixed feelings about the panna cotta. Wine list was sufficient. Overall, excellent service and interesting foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Stays PopularOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Town doesn't disappoint. It's more predictable, less innovative, than when it first opened. But they make good on the promise of "farm to table". The ingredients are always fresh, local whenever they can (and that's much more frequently now). Recipes can get a little heavy sometimes but we've never had a bad meal at Town. Servers care about the place and the food and make for a nice experience.Special Features:
- WTFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I set up reservations through your website, had 3 separate friends taxi from across town and guess what? Town was closed but your system obviously has a glitch in it of some sort. Wasted a bunch of money in Taxi's and time from 4 different people. I will most likely never use your service again as if I recommend it to someone and the same thing happens, it will make me look very bad. Please for the sake of other do not lead customers on with booking reservations to places that are closed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape from WaikikiworldfoodieDined on 8/7/2014As a former Hawai'i resident back for a vacation, I was surprised to discover the fresh food scene in Kaimuki. Town's daily-changing menu features trends as well as new twists on tradition. The Big Island rabbit was better than any I have had in Europe - succulent and fragrant with lemon and herbs. The suteed pa'i'ai with gorgeous tangy-dressed local greens was a world apart from tourist-trap poi. The atmousphere manages a fine balance between casual and classy without any self-conscious hipness. I'll be going again this week before heading back to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REGregreDined on 8/6/2014Excellent dining experience as usual. Our third time, each year we visit we make a point to dine at this establishment and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service issues808808Dined on 7/30/2014Placed an order at 745pm on a Wednesday night food was not out by 9pm.
- LOVE IT.nelsonVIPDined on 7/26/2014Town is one of our favorite spots. Always good in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HerzenDined on 7/25/2014This is a great place for a business lunch---great food---great ambiance---great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible serviceCandytDined on 7/17/2014Food was great! Great vibes! Enjoyed the scene. The service was horrible, took forever for the dinner to come. Something thy should work on in the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was expecting more .WinenDineDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I loves to try different restaurants. We drove all the way from Makakilo to try Town. Food is ok. Nothing special. My husband had the gnocchi because I told him that it has good reviews on yelp. He said its ok, I think it was overrated. I had opa with veggies, it's seasoned good but opa is a lil bit overcooked. We had the mussels for appetizer and we both agreed that it's very good. If we live within the area we'll probably dine again since they change their menu everyday, we would love to try what more can they offer.Special Features:
- Nice gnocchiManoaDined on 7/8/2014Town is my go-to restaurant when I have guests in town, because of their commitment to local-sourced food and, of course, the way they prepare it. Their gnocchi are little clouds of perfect texture and taste. This time, served with sunchokes, it was a delectable dish!Special Features:
- TOWN- Mecca of Honolulu food scene.LSH76VIPDined on 7/5/2014This is where it all began. Chef Ed Kenney and his crew continue to create real local based food that is both honest and magical. Try anything with pa'i'ai - or any of the fresh fish of the day- or my all time go-to fave, the pan roasted chicken. Ma'o organic greens and veges rock in any way they happen to be serving them that night. Be sure to make reservations and don't be afraid to sit on the bar as Antonio the Bartender is very charming, attentive, and with his dry intellectual wit will keep you entertained throughout your meal. BTW, we always let Bren the Manager choose our wine- she nails it each time. TOWN- We love you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love TownnelsonVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is a great restaurant. Always good food and service. A winner.Special Features:
- Friendly ServicegemseekerDined on 6/28/2014Although the entree selection was small, everyone found something of their liking. We were pleasantly surprised by the dinner appetizers and salad selections which we shared family style. The monchong was excellent and the kitchen was accommodating to switch the veggies of the entrees and split the deserts amongst us. The service was friendly and our waitress expertly explained the entire menu to us with enthusiasm. We felt at home and comfortable in the atmosphere as she appeared to be confident that we would have an enjoyable time. And we did! We found the concept of sustainability refreshing and commendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blown away !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014AMAZING food!!!!! we ordered almost everything & were truly blown away!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but LOUDLaFleuveDined on 6/27/2014Went for dinner on Friday night. Fantastic food, unbelievably fresh and tasty. Medium-sized portions. Terrific service. Mostly all was great except the music playing really loud; my dinner mate and I were leaning over the table and almost shouting at each other. I find it so disappointing when restaurants want to generate a hip, vibrant scene but feel that loud music is a good way to generate energy. Despite the brilliant food, I would not be inclined to return... but I did realize upon leaving that the tables outside are much, much quieter, even with the street noise.Special Features:
- Town . . . ? Yes!JezebelDined on 6/27/2014Town has become one of my favorite places to dine in Honolulu. I have a lot of food allergies and will only eat organic meats and non-GMO foods--I can always find options here--they even offer Waialua soda and Town Lemonade which are made from pure cane sugar! The menu is imaginative and always features mainly locally sourced and organic ingredients. So many places claim to do this, but when questioned, the "organic" tends not to be the meats, dairy, or condiments (where the GMOs are), but rather some of the produce. I enjoyed an amazing spaghetti and grass-fed beef meatballs with fresh, hand-made pasta on Friday and nearly died from pleasure! Treat yourself and go to Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy, but goodFoodguruVIPDined on 6/26/2014Town is always excellent. Tonight they were understaffed. The staff did their best to accommodate. Free prosecco as a starter, comped app. The expediter was extremely pleasant and didn't show any stress. We will go back, but hopefully they will figure out the staffing or kitchen mishapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieMamaDined on 6/25/2014Always enjoy the fresh, creative and tasty food. Especially enjoyed the ahi tartare on risotto cakes, pa‘i‘ai w/ beans and the best gnocchi on the island! Service is friendly, helpful and attentive.Special Features:
- So, so good!TiamariaVIPDined on 6/23/2014We love this restaurant! Excellent locally grown food in season. Our party had Ono with fresh veggies, chicken, and hand cut pasta- all outstanding. The sommelier recommended some great wines too. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunchangeliquevcDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed lunch here on 20th June. Food was delicious and menu changes daily with the availability of fresh, local and wherever possible organic ingredients. Our waitress was extremely helpful and highlighted some of the more popular items on the menu including the hand cut house made pasta which was beautiful. Served with pancetta, mushroom, kale & chilli. I enjoyed the pan fried opah with seasonal vegetables. Would definitely return for the food.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant fit for foodies!LindsayDined on 6/18/2014My husband and I decided to celebrate our 3rd anniversary here while visiting Oahu. What a great decision! We opted out of the touristy Waikiki area. I booked on open table and said it was our anniversary and have never felt so special. Every staff member knew it was our anniversary and made sure to congratulate us multiple times. We even got complimentary champagne upon arrival! The food surpassed my expectations. My favorite was the rice pudding for dessert! There was a new waitress training that night (she was amazing by the way) and she suggested it. I am not a rice pudding person so was nervous taking the reccomendation - but wow - delicious!! This is the first place my husband and I will go back to in Oahu!Special Features: