342 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townhallsf.com/
- Phone: 4159083900
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm; DINNER Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm HAPPY HOUR Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Max Hosey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: I
- Cross Street: Fremont St.
- Public Transit: Muni & BART: Embarcadero station; Muni: 1 California @ Howard, 14 Mission @ Fremont
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Valet parking is made available by Bee Parking for $15 per car during dinner. There is a pay lot on the corner of Spear and Howard.
A word from Town Hall
Town Hall Restaurant is a casual chic restaurant located in SOMA, housed in the historic Meco building, serving New American cuisine with a focus on regional ingredients. At Town Hall, there is a communal table, bar, patio, private room, and beautiful dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Town Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (66)good for groups (66)neighborhood gem (59)hot spot (47)notable wine list (41)great for lunch (41)romantic (27)vibrant bar scene (27)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- Return here every time in San Fran.marleyVIPDined on 10/15/2014... for good reason. Excellent food and service. Great venue for work-related meal or personal dining. Fairly easy walk from Moscone.Special Features:
- Great meal after tough start4SomeDiningVIPDined on 10/14/2014We dined on Tues Oct 14th and had RSVPd for a table of 8. A very busy night with a major business conference in town. We ended up adding 3 people last minute increasing our total table to 11. The hostess was not very accommodating with our need to squeeze in three more people. Understood it was a busy night from what I could tell there were multiple tables not in use. But it was disappointing to get receiving a negative attitude back from the hostess. We were eventually sat down and the table arrangement worked out great. Margie was our server and she did an amazing job. Food was outstanding, I had the halibut which was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Excellent!206dinersDined on 10/10/2014We heard about Town Hall from a local SF resident. We were a party of 4. Everything was excellent: drinks(lemon drops & old-fashion) ribs, fried chicken, oysters, halibut. Flavors were great; loved the ribs; portions were just right. Leave room for dessert! The butterscotch dessert was delicious. For a popular restaurant, the overall noise level was surprisingly good. Table conversation was quite comfortable. Make reservations well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for fine dining.toy2rexDined on 10/10/2014My 3 friends & I went to Town Hall Fri Oct 10 for dinner. Everything about the place is excellent. The hostess & waitress are very friendly & helpful. Space is beautiful. Wonderful menu selection. Cocktails & wines were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoCalFoodiesDined on 10/6/2014We chose Town Hall for the post wedding celebration after our ceremony at San Francisco Hall! My husband had been there before and recommended it. Well it was perfect! Great ambiance, food, service and they created a wedding cake with the specifications I asked for! We love visiting San Francisco and Town Hall will definitely be a place to visit again and again!Special Features:
- OMG those shrimpbrittelizabethDined on 10/4/2014I've dreamed about the BBQ shrimp since we were there a few nights ago. And the fried chicken. And the seafood stew. And the cornmeal-fried oysters ... Town Hall is an absolute gem of a restaurant. The most comforting of comfort food. If you have not been there please remedy your situation immediately and make a reservation. Your soul will thank you for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't expect much from serviceluv2dineDined on 10/4/2014Food was good, not incredible. Ambiance is nice and noise level permits discussion. Service was slow, then rushed, then rude and just plain ignorant. Waited a while for our oysters, and while we were eating them the waiter literally tried to take our plates away, at which point I commented that we weren't finished. He shooed the food carrier away (who had our salads) and stepped away, only to return 30 seconds later to remove the oysters anyway and trade them out for salads. He was absent for the rest of service and we had to request water multiple times to get it at all.
- Town HallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Appetizers were good...especially the corn bread. Trout gumbo was disappointing...no rice & small portion for the price. Overall food was good but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- RE: Still Quality Place in SOMArockytonyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Repeat visit and all aspects were very good. Only minus less than warm, sincere greeting by the man at the entrance upon arrival. All other aspects were very good. The food was delicious, served quickly in a professional manner. Old bank (?) building adds to the ambiance with minimal noise and comfortable tables. Menu offered a wide selection to appease varied tastes and the four people at our table all enjoyed their appetizers and entrees. A tad pricey to be a regular sport of those in the neighborhood but well worth the visit. We all look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Perfect work dinnerCJP1Dined on 9/24/2014Dinner was paced correctly, wait staff checked in appropriately, kept drinks full, didn't rush us. Dodd was excellent, however I'm glad I asked if if anything had peanuts (severe allergy.). Turns out the potato chip decoration on the halibut was cooked in peanut oil. Be careful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyGDined on 9/24/2014Pulled chicken salad was delish as was the jalapeno corn bread. All in all the meal was great, but was shocked when the bill came and they charged us $8 each for a pot of coffee (2 cups)... a bit pricey for that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Food was outstanding as usual! Love the ambiance. Would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRLSRSRLSRVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good food, but over priced, in our opinion. Definitely will return, but only for special occasions. The seafood stew was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Questionable service.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/9/2014I have dined at Town Hall a couple times on prior visits to San Francisco. This time, service was not great. Seated with menu, then had to ask about 15 minutes later if our server would be coming by. Order taken, appetizers served, appetizer plates cleared, then had to ask 20 minutes later when our main courses would be served AND if we could order more drinks. It's still a great restaurant, but they could definitely "up their game" on service.Special Features:
- Comfortable, friendly, great foodSocalmonteDined on 9/5/2014We had dinner with our son and his GF. Our waiter was down to earth, yet professional and attentive. Food was a nice blend of Southern comfort. Our waiter didn't flinch when we pulled out a bottle of wine from our cellar. He even decanted and shared a taste with us. My salmon was cooked to perfection, fried chicken was tender and juicy, yet crispy. A little loud, but we will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Hall Always a PleasureQueenVVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love this place. Food is great, full bar, nice wines. Top notch staff! Last trip was for lunch and they asked us if we wanted dessert. We did not have time. They came out with the check and two to go desserts for us to take home. Their Caramel pot o creme which is do die for! YUM. What a nice gesture. Wait staff is top notch well trained and professional!Special Features:
- Noise unacceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Food and service were excellant, but noise level is simply unacceptable. DCHSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurantKe1913Dined on 8/30/2014The ambiance, food and wine were spectacular, but what made the experience even better was our server, Robbie. He was personable and has a passion for the restaurant, chef and bartender. His recommendations for food and drinks were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst. Dinner. Ever. At Town Hall.DrewPaikVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been coming here for years because I live around the corner, but I have never had such bad service or food at what is normally a solid restaurant. I'm glad I wasn't able to add another person to my reservation (even though the floor was half empty) because it spared them the indignity of having to endure the worst dinner ever. Service was slow, my orders kept getting messed up, and the oysters were fishy. I had to complain twice to the manager and specifically ask for our waiter to be removed because he became hostile (e.g. slamming down steak knives without saying a word).
- Sometimes Not so HungryCanyongalDined on 8/27/2014This is obviously a 'hot' place, but the noise level was absurdly high. Our server seemed miffed that we did not order more food--not that hungry that night, just meeting a friend and checking out a new place. Food was meh. Winelist meh. Server annoying.Special Features:
- Buzzy and Great FoodSarasotaLadyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Town Hall was recommended by a friend as one of her favorite spots and it didn't disappoint. We were seated as soon as we arrived even though the restaurant was almost full. The service was good and the waiter didn't just say "everything is good" when I asked what his favorites were. One of their signature dishes, the fried chicken, was delicious and my husband loved the ribeye. I had the Alaskan halibut, it was beautifully presented and delicious. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiffkenRiffkenDined on 8/23/2014Town hall was recommended by a friend that spent most of her life in SF. Always trust a local foodie. They have some amazing food, and alcohol that is very hard to find. Make a reservation, you won't regret that, and think of this restaurant as a local gem so dress a little bit more upscale (I'd not wear shorts or t shirts like in the tourist areas) and treat it like the gem it is.Special Features:
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014loved the food esp the okra and cornbread wonderful upscale southern dining in CaliforniaSpecial Features:
- So sad, used to be delicious...DahoVIPDined on 8/22/2014This used to be one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco when it first opened. I hadn't been in quit some time and met a couple of friends for dinner. The food was very disappointing. The service was also not great. With so many terrific restaurants in San Francisco, I won't be coming back I'm sad to say.
- Still GoodJAYHJVIPDined on 8/22/2014A lively & somewhat noisy dining hall. Friendly, attentive & competent service. Great selection of bottled beer & wines. only had three Pliny The Elders & no Buehler Zinfandel for an early seating on Friday night, although both were listed on the menu. Ample fresh bread & butter served. The Country Ham Sampler was an interesting & tasty starter for five diners. Everyone loved their main courses (meat & fish) and the gluten-free chocolate torte dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- Sadly I will miss this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/20/2014We must have dined over 30 times at Town Hall and recommended it even more to others. Sadly, I think our love affair with this place is over. The food has become solid rather than special, I mean a grilled pork chop over some carbs for $25+. Cramped space and harried servers all add to a feeling of eating (not dining) in a train station. But the real problem is the noise. We had a table for two in the far corner of the restaurant and it was still almost impossible to talk to each other in conversation tones. Shouting sweet nothings doesn't enhance the experience. In any event I am sure Town Hall will soldier on without us in the future but we will miss her. Maybe another try sitting on the patio. Too bad.Special Features:
- Buzzing for lunchIzIsFoodDined on 8/20/2014Great little place near Embarcadero--a bit on the pricey side, but the food is always consistent, and the service that I've experienced has always been great. Their "Starter" salads are large enough to pass for a lunch entree, and their burger is huge...so beware of over-ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatZingerVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have been here a number of times and while I like the venue, style etc. it seems like the kitchen is always slow to get the meal out. Service is fine, it is just slow. In a social/friends event this isn't so bad, but in a business dinner setting, this gets a bit awkward.Special Features:
- On a Monday nightHunterVIPDined on 8/18/2014Thought we'd go on a Monday night for a less intense experience. Wow, were we surprised. The place was packed. As usual, the food was outstanding, both Mitchell and Steven were in house overseeing everything and checking with patrons. We have been many times and have never been disappointed (also applies to their two other restaurants). So, I guess it should be no surprise to find Town Hall busy any night of the week. We always default to Town Hall when we don't know what we want to do (eat).Special Features:
- Solid Neighborhood LocationJimJVIPDined on 8/17/2014Very attractive restaurant with a nice menu and friendly staff. For my wife and me, this is the perfect Sunday evening dining place. On Saturdays, its personality is totally different, but it is still a terrific place to experience a dinner out.Special Features:
- Stylish comfortEMBEEVIPDined on 8/17/2014We went here with a small group and the meal was delicious and the service attentive. The whole meal was fantastic but I have to highlight the grilled nectarine and plum salad which was so good that I want to eat it again soon!Special Features:
- A great time!ducatisbDined on 8/16/2014From the minute we walked through the door we were warmly greeted and experienced great service. The food was outstanding and the fried chicken a definite house special! The cocktails made for a fun time. We couldn't resist ordering 4 desserts! There will definitely be a return visit.Special Features:
- SolidJDS1234Dined on 8/15/2014I am a repeat customer- they have an amazing wine list, food is solid (some items run a little salty but that's America), staff are very nice and professional. I love the space and convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off NightAHSFDined on 8/14/2014I am hoping this was just an off night. Town Hall used to be one of my favorite restaurants, we even had Christmas Eve dinner there several years ago. In a nut shell, the quality of the food was way less than what I recall from many previous visits (heirloom tomato salad was awful, tuna tartar spicy and tuna not fresh), portions were quite small, there was construction going on next door so sitting outside turned out to not be a great idea, waitstaff was sort of cool initially but warmed up towards the end. They did comp us dessert given the noise - which they did not have to do and was a nice gesture. Drinks were good. All in all, I will monitor other reviewers' feedback before deciding whether to return.
- Good Till DessertSFCAVIPDined on 8/14/2014First be warned that the noise level is exceptional. The loud jazzy music did not help. All was well till I ordered the dessert. After waiting 15 minutes for it to arrive the waiter informed me that it was coming soon. After more time waiting I was informed that the kitchen was having a "some kind of problem" with the sauce for the bread pudding and would I mind waiting a few more minutes. I said no and shortly thereafter the dessert was delivered by the bus boy. And yes I was charged for the very late dessert. Strange indeed. Other than the dessert fiasco the food was very good. I usually visit the restaurant after 1:00 as the place is almost empty and very quiet.Special Features:
- Fried Chicken and Great wine!JoweiVIPDined on 8/9/2014My second time here. Everything we ordered was delicious. Fried chicken, BBQ ribs, Tuna tartare, Seafood stew, Fried okra and a bottle of Jordan Cab 09'. You can't go wrong at town hall and the service is great too.Special Features:
- Very strong new american restaurantbennett5311Dined on 8/9/2014Beyond the bacon maple old fashion, what stood out for me was the stellar front of the house service. The server was patient with the table that included a 12 year old. The food was excellent as well and of course I thoroughly enjoyed the butterscotch cote de creame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POT DE CREME!!!!!!!SFeaterDined on 8/7/2014I have to admit, the first thing I think of when I reserve a table at Town Hall is the singularly spectacular chocolate/butterscotch pot de crème (dessert). It's the best dessert in San Francisco--HANDS DOWN. That said, during my most recent dinner there with a client we enjoyed the fried green tomatoes with ahi tuna appetizer and the heirloom tomato/watermelon salad. Both were killer. I also had the halibut--which was delicious--along with their yummy corn on the cob. The only downside to this restaurant is the noise level--which can be deafening. Otherwise, it's one of top choices for dinner downtown. If they discontinue that pot de crème, I will be devastated!!Special Features:
- good, but had better beforeTiffyPopsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had reservations and was seated right away. Friendly staff, attentive. Food had good presentation, but lacked in flavor for some reason this time... I had the catfish and chips - the batter was soggy and not crisp at all. Tasted a bit bland, which I was surprised. Friends had the shrimp po boy which she felt was okay. Other two friends has the ribs - plenty of meat, but lacked in flavor again. We also enjoyed the corn bread - which was all liked and thought was tasty. Finished off with dessert - chocolate mousse like with butterscotch... very yummy - some thought was too sweet, but enjoyed it. Atmosphere was nice - had a fun time with the girls. I was surprised the food was bland - would I come back? maybe...but not for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2014The butterscotch and chocolate pot de creme alone is worth the trip to this restaurant. One of the best desserts I have had in a long time. Incredible!I would recommend this to a friend.