342 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townhallsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 908-3900
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm; DINNER Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm HAPPY HOUR Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Max Hosey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: I
- Cross Street: Fremont St.
- Public Transit: Muni & BART: Embarcadero station; Muni: 1 California @ Howard, 14 Mission @ Fremont
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Valet parking is made available by Bee Parking for $15 per car during dinner. There is a pay lot on the corner of Spear and Howard.
A word from Town Hall
Town Hall Restaurant is a casual chic restaurant located in SOMA, housed in the historic Meco building, serving New American cuisine with a focus on regional ingredients. At Town Hall, there is a communal table, bar, patio, private room, and beautiful dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Town Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (104)good for groups (76)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (48)notable wine list (43)great for lunch (40)vibrant bar scene (28)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- A little slowsouthsiderVIPDined on 11/17/2014We were seated immediately with a nice table. The food was good. Fried Chicken was fine and so was the pork. The salmon was ok. The service was slow. We waited for our entre. We liked the wine list and the price ranges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, consistent foodMunchingMarkVIPDined on 11/15/2014Have been to Town Hall several times over the years. They maintain a nice selection of well-prepared items across the food groups. Hard to pass up the fried chicken but the ribs and salmon are also very good. Beet salad was excellent. Service was a little spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCaroDined on 11/14/2014Good place that I would recommend. Nice interior, good service and good wine list. Food presentation was great but my meal had undercooked brusselsprouts and part of the food wasn't very warm. My beet salad was very small. My husbands pork and tuna tartar were good. Overall the food was missing the last touch to be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Southern experiencePeggyDined on 11/13/2014As a Marinite, I had heard good things about Town Hall, just had never made it there! I was not disappointed…great food with a little southern twist and probably the best fried chicken I've ever tasted. It is loud, but my friend and I were able to visit and catch up. Seemed like lots of tech types and large groups (mostly guys for any women who may be interested in that information). I'll definitely be back, maybe even try to catch brunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a few clients here for dinnerEspenceDined on 11/12/2014Took a few clients here for dinner. It is a little loud--but it probably didn't help that there were 10 of us and so we were seated at a longer table. However the wait staff was friendly and the food was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eats - no conversationMsMLDined on 11/12/2014Love the food, service and convenience - but the noise level is hideous. It's impossible to have a conversation inside. The outdoor patio is marginally better, but god help you if a table full of sales types sits nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentKenLDined on 11/6/2014Always a good dining experience here. The food is consistent and the service amiable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the cioppino!XcvbnmDined on 11/6/2014Town Hall ruined what is supposed to be a humble fisherman's stew. It was served crawdads with the heads on --really fun to eat at a business lunch! There was hardly any meat inside anyway. There were 4 mussels and a few tiny bits of fish. For $26, I ate the sauce (which was yummy) and left hungry. That meal was worthy of taking a picture, but not eating.Special Features:
- Amazing WaiterthrvfoodieDined on 11/5/2014Our waiter was knowledgable, funny and a great part of our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service!!wineDined on 11/3/2014I took my grandma there and our waiter acted like he was put out the moment we walked in. He was a snob. We never felt comfortable. Minimal description about the food led to some bad choices. John couldn't have cared less about our experience at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great first time experienceTownhallDined on 11/3/2014Great first time experience, staff was really nice and friendly. However, the waiters were slow to come ask for our drink order, but it was lunch time.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Really enjoyed town hall. The food was amazing and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindSarasotaLadyVIPDined on 10/30/2014I met my husband and three of his colleagues at Town Hall for dinner last week at 9pm. I had originally booked for 9:30 but we arrived earlier and the staff went out of their way to seat us early and at a very good table. I arrived early and sat at the bar and had a glass of wine and was made to feel very welcome and viewed the menu while waiting. Every one loved their menu choices but the best were the ribs, fried okra and black cod. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Hall Restaurantcurtis628Dined on 10/25/2014Always a pleasure to dine at this restaurant,,, somehat of a Southern cooking menue..Service is always top-notch.. Favorites: fried okra ...Buttermilk fried chicken, incredible porkchop, seafood pot pie....,always fresh rustic bread.. Desserts can be a hit or miss sometimes.. Moderately priced..casual dress..I think it's one of San Francisco's top 20...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealMaryinSFDined on 10/25/2014This is my third visit to Town Hall and as always I really enjoyed my meal. The waiter was also serving a large demanding table of 8+ so was a little slow on some items (like checking on drink orders, dessert). The table ordered the fried chicken, pork chop and the gumbo - all were wonderful. Side order of fritters rounded out a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More pretense than deliveryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Food was unexceptional for the price. Can't recommend the pork chop due to toughness and the chicken seemed a bit greasy. We really wanted to like this place.Special Features:
- Below average todayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014Had lunch on 10/25 at 12:15. The Korean rib sandwich was not good. The meat was tough and tasteless. The service seemed rushed even though it was not crowded. I was on a business lunch so was not going to return my sandwich as I wanted to focus on my meeting.
- Return here every time in San Fran.marleyVIPDined on 10/15/2014... for good reason. Excellent food and service. Great venue for work-related meal or personal dining. Fairly easy walk from Moscone.Special Features:
- Great meal after tough start4SomeDiningVIPDined on 10/14/2014We dined on Tues Oct 14th and had RSVPd for a table of 8. A very busy night with a major business conference in town. We ended up adding 3 people last minute increasing our total table to 11. The hostess was not very accommodating with our need to squeeze in three more people. Understood it was a busy night from what I could tell there were multiple tables not in use. But it was disappointing to get receiving a negative attitude back from the hostess. We were eventually sat down and the table arrangement worked out great. Margie was our server and she did an amazing job. Food was outstanding, I had the halibut which was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Excellent!206dinersDined on 10/10/2014We heard about Town Hall from a local SF resident. We were a party of 4. Everything was excellent: drinks(lemon drops & old-fashion) ribs, fried chicken, oysters, halibut. Flavors were great; loved the ribs; portions were just right. Leave room for dessert! The butterscotch dessert was delicious. For a popular restaurant, the overall noise level was surprisingly good. Table conversation was quite comfortable. Make reservations well in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for fine dining.toy2rexDined on 10/10/2014My 3 friends & I went to Town Hall Fri Oct 10 for dinner. Everything about the place is excellent. The hostess & waitress are very friendly & helpful. Space is beautiful. Wonderful menu selection. Cocktails & wines were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoCalFoodiesDined on 10/6/2014We chose Town Hall for the post wedding celebration after our ceremony at San Francisco Hall! My husband had been there before and recommended it. Well it was perfect! Great ambiance, food, service and they created a wedding cake with the specifications I asked for! We love visiting San Francisco and Town Hall will definitely be a place to visit again and again!Special Features:
- OMG those shrimpbrittelizabethDined on 10/4/2014I've dreamed about the BBQ shrimp since we were there a few nights ago. And the fried chicken. And the seafood stew. And the cornmeal-fried oysters ... Town Hall is an absolute gem of a restaurant. The most comforting of comfort food. If you have not been there please remedy your situation immediately and make a reservation. Your soul will thank you for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't expect much from serviceluv2dineDined on 10/4/2014Food was good, not incredible. Ambiance is nice and noise level permits discussion. Service was slow, then rushed, then rude and just plain ignorant. Waited a while for our oysters, and while we were eating them the waiter literally tried to take our plates away, at which point I commented that we weren't finished. He shooed the food carrier away (who had our salads) and stepped away, only to return 30 seconds later to remove the oysters anyway and trade them out for salads. He was absent for the rest of service and we had to request water multiple times to get it at all.
- Town HallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Appetizers were good...especially the corn bread. Trout gumbo was disappointing...no rice & small portion for the price. Overall food was good but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- RE: Still Quality Place in SOMArockytonyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Repeat visit and all aspects were very good. Only minus less than warm, sincere greeting by the man at the entrance upon arrival. All other aspects were very good. The food was delicious, served quickly in a professional manner. Old bank (?) building adds to the ambiance with minimal noise and comfortable tables. Menu offered a wide selection to appease varied tastes and the four people at our table all enjoyed their appetizers and entrees. A tad pricey to be a regular sport of those in the neighborhood but well worth the visit. We all look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Perfect work dinnerCJP1Dined on 9/24/2014Dinner was paced correctly, wait staff checked in appropriately, kept drinks full, didn't rush us. Dodd was excellent, however I'm glad I asked if if anything had peanuts (severe allergy.). Turns out the potato chip decoration on the halibut was cooked in peanut oil. Be careful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyGDined on 9/24/2014Pulled chicken salad was delish as was the jalapeno corn bread. All in all the meal was great, but was shocked when the bill came and they charged us $8 each for a pot of coffee (2 cups)... a bit pricey for that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Food was outstanding as usual! Love the ambiance. Would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRLSRSRLSRVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good food, but over priced, in our opinion. Definitely will return, but only for special occasions. The seafood stew was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Questionable service.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/9/2014I have dined at Town Hall a couple times on prior visits to San Francisco. This time, service was not great. Seated with menu, then had to ask about 15 minutes later if our server would be coming by. Order taken, appetizers served, appetizer plates cleared, then had to ask 20 minutes later when our main courses would be served AND if we could order more drinks. It's still a great restaurant, but they could definitely "up their game" on service.Special Features:
- Comfortable, friendly, great foodSocalmonteDined on 9/5/2014We had dinner with our son and his GF. Our waiter was down to earth, yet professional and attentive. Food was a nice blend of Southern comfort. Our waiter didn't flinch when we pulled out a bottle of wine from our cellar. He even decanted and shared a taste with us. My salmon was cooked to perfection, fried chicken was tender and juicy, yet crispy. A little loud, but we will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Hall Always a PleasureQueenVVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love this place. Food is great, full bar, nice wines. Top notch staff! Last trip was for lunch and they asked us if we wanted dessert. We did not have time. They came out with the check and two to go desserts for us to take home. Their Caramel pot o creme which is do die for! YUM. What a nice gesture. Wait staff is top notch well trained and professional!Special Features:
- Noise unacceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Food and service were excellant, but noise level is simply unacceptable. DCHSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurantKe1913Dined on 8/30/2014The ambiance, food and wine were spectacular, but what made the experience even better was our server, Robbie. He was personable and has a passion for the restaurant, chef and bartender. His recommendations for food and drinks were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst. Dinner. Ever. At Town Hall.DrewPaikVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been coming here for years because I live around the corner, but I have never had such bad service or food at what is normally a solid restaurant. I'm glad I wasn't able to add another person to my reservation (even though the floor was half empty) because it spared them the indignity of having to endure the worst dinner ever. Service was slow, my orders kept getting messed up, and the oysters were fishy. I had to complain twice to the manager and specifically ask for our waiter to be removed because he became hostile (e.g. slamming down steak knives without saying a word).
- Sometimes Not so HungryCanyongalDined on 8/27/2014This is obviously a 'hot' place, but the noise level was absurdly high. Our server seemed miffed that we did not order more food--not that hungry that night, just meeting a friend and checking out a new place. Food was meh. Winelist meh. Server annoying.Special Features:
- Buzzy and Great FoodSarasotaLadyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Town Hall was recommended by a friend as one of her favorite spots and it didn't disappoint. We were seated as soon as we arrived even though the restaurant was almost full. The service was good and the waiter didn't just say "everything is good" when I asked what his favorites were. One of their signature dishes, the fried chicken, was delicious and my husband loved the ribeye. I had the Alaskan halibut, it was beautifully presented and delicious. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiffkenRiffkenDined on 8/23/2014Town hall was recommended by a friend that spent most of her life in SF. Always trust a local foodie. They have some amazing food, and alcohol that is very hard to find. Make a reservation, you won't regret that, and think of this restaurant as a local gem so dress a little bit more upscale (I'd not wear shorts or t shirts like in the tourist areas) and treat it like the gem it is.Special Features:
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014loved the food esp the okra and cornbread wonderful upscale southern dining in CaliforniaSpecial Features: