119 Culver Blvd.
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293Neighborhood:
Playa del Rey
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.tower-42.com/
- Phone: 3108236800
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am -3:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour Tuesday - Friday 4 pm - 7 pm
Closed Sunday Nights
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Thomas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a room that will seat up to 16 and a room that will seat up to 40. Both rooms have multi-media capabilities.
- Private Party Contact: Chad Leatherman 3108236800
- Entertainment: Call for weekly updates.
A word from Tower 42
Tower 42 is Playa del Rey's newest restaurant, specializing in Califronia comtemporary cuisine. We offer a broad variety of American favorites with an eclectic flair, in a casual but lively beach environment. Our bar features an extensive wine-by-the-glass menu as well as multiple craft draft beers and small batch liquors. We also have a separate music room offering live entertainment three to four nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tower 42 reviews from OpenTable diners
- Just Okay...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/5/2013I REALLY wanted to like this place. They're fairly new to the neighborhood. They're decor is beautiful! But the service leaves much to be desired. I had a reservation... I waited 15 minutes... No one acknowledged me... I had to ask the waitress if I had to seat myself... I did... I ordered the pulled pork sliders. The bread was DELICIOUS. the horseradish sauce meh... The pork was a bit overlooked and tough. Nothing chaaresteristic of slow cooked pulled pork. For dessert I had the molten lava cake... It arrived cooler than warm but warmer than cold. The "molten" was a congealed mass of dark chocolate. Maybe if I hadn't waited 26 minutes for it to arrive it may have glowed a little more like lava... Who knows. I may give it another try...
- Del GuidocsalapatasVIPDined on 5/18/2013Would go again only to see , Del Guido the band. Food was mediocre.Special Features:
- So So at SunsetopentablevipVIPDined on 5/15/2013The space and location are amazing! I had hoped the food would have been on par with those but it wasn't. Special appetizer of octopus carpaccio with sea grasses was too one-note. Needed some citrus to add to it. Pasta ragu was flavorful but the meat overcooked. The deconstructed softshell crab BLT was quite good, but overall it was not that impressive.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013It was a very special occasion and I could not be more disappointed. It was like eating in a barn. We were from out of town and should have checked it out a little better before we went there. It had no ambiance . I should have gotten a clue when the front of the place was nothing but weeds. Never again
- Beautiful BrunchCathleencdmDined on 5/11/2013The staff was very accommodating for our group at a recent graduation brunch. They moved us to a private room and provided excellent service. The brunch menu was brief but covered all the basics. The food quality was very good, highlights being the benedicts and brioche French toast. As we were celebrating, we requested dessert menus and enjoyed a beautiful cheese tray, butterscotch bread pudding, wonderful sorbets and ice creams. I can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great but theLuv2eatDined on 4/25/2013The food was great but the atmosphere was extremely noisy. We chose the dining room because the bar was to loud but the dining room was just as loud.
- Their burgers are AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013Their burgers are AMAZING and our server, Brooke, was awesome. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- We were at Tower 42 for anOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013We were at Tower 42 for an impromptu bridal shower and it was perfect. The location, the space, the view, the bottomless mimosas, even the food. The staff were very nice and tried to be helpful. However, the only downfall was that the service in terms of actually taking orders, bringing drinks, delivering food - took a really long time. Once the actual food service part began, it felt like the staff got too busy for us. If they can take the service up a notch, Tower 42 will become the go-to for Playa del Rey.Special Features:
- While the food was good, theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2013While the food was good, the service was abysmal. It took at least 10 mins after being seated before our waiter came over & another 20 mins to get water. When our beers were delivered, one of them was wrong. Rather than simply replace it & apologize, our waiter actually argued with us. We were only checked on once more throughout the meal and when we didn't order another round, our waiter disappeared until we had to hunt him down for the check. Not even a question if we'd like to look at a dessert menu! I will be fair in that the back room is far too large for one server if all the tables are filled (as was the case). That being said, there was another server just standing around not doing anything. Feeling like an inconvenience won't do.
- Very easy going and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Very easy going and friendly waiters and waitresses. Very good food and good prices. Especially liked the valentine special.Special Features:
- Hopping this will become aDewolfpVIPDined on 2/11/2013Hopping this will become a neighborhood gem, considerably better than the first attempt but still not overwhelming for the price.Special Features:
- Playa Del Rey needed this.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2013Playa Del Rey has needed a better sit down restaurant for sometime. Tower 42 raises the bar in this part of town and finally gives residents an alternative to Penguinis, which has some great Italian food. Tower 42's menu is creative and interesting. Our server knew the menu well and gave great advice on dishes. There is an outside patio with a fireplace that would be perfect on warm summer nights when the Santa Anas are blowing, think romantic, sunset dinner. Pricing was good for the quality and portion of food served. We ordered 6 small plates and two glasses of wine and spent under $90, including 20% tip. Those complaining about portion sizes can go elsewhere for large portions of bland, tasteless food.Special Features:
- The service was a bit slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013The service was a bit slow. The clam pasta did not have much taste.Special Features:
- Love this place. Its beenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2013Love this place. Its been a long time since Playa has had a GREAT place to go...Special Features:
- A work in progress, I thinkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2013We dined nearly alone at Tower 42 Sunday evening; just one other table occupied when we arrived, and a few others during the course of our dinner. Service: patchy; initially wait staff was cordial, but then was snippy and rather inattentive throughout. For 4 guests, we got 3 small slices of bread (had to request more). One diner was served two different items at the same time, had to request to send one back. Crab cake was awful - tasted like something was wrong with it, but all other food was pretty good. I had trout, a little overcooked, supposedly stuffed, but not much filling. Another had squid pasta with seafood - very good. Ambience of restaurant is nice - we were told it is very busy on Fridays/Saturdays, has a young, hip feel.
- Needs work!StarcruiserVIPDined on 1/19/2013We arrived for an early dinner around 5 PM and there was only one other party eating there. They have valet parking in a parking lot that cause you to wait longer then as if you had parked yourself. We ordered a bottle of red wine form a list of around 25 reds. They were out of it. We made three more attempts at ordering a bottle of red, but they were out. FInally asked what they had and just took what they had. It was listed as a seafood restaurant; however, the entrees were very strange with no basic dishes. It is kind of an eclectic tapas / seafood menu. The entrees varied from good (shrimp) to poor (smoked fish & gumbo dishes). The waitress was really friendly and very good; however, the restaurant management failed.
- Go with the appetizers...theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2013Go with the appetizers...the shrimp w/batbard and mussels make this spot a destination. The dining room is so cavernous that they should invest in in some sound dampening surfaces... They'fe impreoved the wine list and we found a delicious, juicy pinot grigio that complemented the shrimp, spicy thai mussles and miso glazed cod. We enjoyed the cod but the preparation was disappointing. The serving was the the leftovers and there was no glaze but a over salted broth that destroyed they dish The serivce was friendly and apologetic for the short staff.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012My girlfriend and I went with another couple on a Sunday evening. We chose Tower 42 because all of their seafood is "sustainable and responsibly caught." I don't think I would go back again. The food was nicely presented, but it wasn't consistently good. I ordered the Day Boat Scallops. The scallops were great, but the pesto couscous that they rested on was way too oily and had an overpowering flavor that clashed with the scallops. The portion size of my meal was way too small for the price and was much smaller than the other three meals ordered by our party. My girlfriend ordered the Seared Sturgeon, which was supposed to have mushrooms but didn't. The ambiance was bad: very cold despite a fireplace and loud TVs blaring at the bar.
- tower 42 needs improvementmarcDined on 12/29/2012the restaurant was quiet on a cold and rainy night.... but the food fell under our expectations.....some work is needed in the kitchen while the shrimp and grits were pretty good, it is an acquired taste..the rainbow trout needs some work as it was not cooked as well as it could be..... there is no kid friendly food menu or list.......the mac and cheese to a kid was too experimental....and underwhelming..... however, they liked the bread.. last but not least, i had written that it was a birthday dinner but received nothing more than a mention for what was supposed to be a festive evening for my girlfriend..it was so beautiful on the way home that the planes landing from the west over the ocean distracted us the mediocre dinner expeSpecial Features:
- We sat outside and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/28/2012We sat outside and it was absolutely beautiful. Although we were the only ones outside, the staff was very attentive (and very friendly). Water was filled frequently and plates were cleared as soon as we had completed each course. We were apprehensive at first, as the prices seemed slightly high for what we were hoping would be a regular dining experience in Playa del Rey. We were thrilled however by the quality of the food. We had the flat iron steak, the hamburger, the mac and cheese and two seafood dishes. Everything was absolutely delicious and we will definitely be going back regularly. We are thrilled to have Tower 42 as part of our community.Special Features:
- So glad to have Tower 42 injordanwfDined on 12/27/2012So glad to have Tower 42 in the neighborhood. After several attempts, this is by far the best place to inhabit the restaurant at the end of Culver Blvd. I really hope it sticks. Food is amazing, and the redesign is quite impressive.Special Features:
- Just fantastic. We will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2012Just fantastic. We will definitely be back. We had a group of eight and had everything from the burger to the steak. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Great new spot for Playa delOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/24/2012Great new spot for Playa del Rey. Something for everyone. Lots of small plates to share. And Saturday nights there are amazing fresh oysters. Chef Mark is always changing up the menu and has some wonderful specials. Love the grilled ceasar salad and the scallops are amazing. Tried the salmon this time on the lemon risotto cake. Loved it. And don't forget the chocolate bread pudding.Special Features:
- This new restaurant in PlayaToinetteVIPDined on 11/18/2012This new restaurant in Playa Del Rey is very attractive with an interesting menu. However, food was very slow in coming out after ordering despite not being busy on a Sunday evening. chairs are too low for the tables. Get some cushions please. Overhead lighting in the main dining room is rather harsh. Bar looks cozy, will definitely request that next time.There's great potential here.
- Great addition to sleepy playa.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012Great addition to sleepy playa. Good food, friendly staff a fun neighborhood spot w/ a more upscale feel. I'll be back :)Special Features:
- Good food but Ambianance needs workAdrienneVIPDined on 11/14/2012The wait staff were very friendly and accommodating. The flat iron steak was so tender and delicious! The special of the evening, the Sturgeon came with a sauce that was too sour and it was quickly replaced with a moist and perfectly cooked salmon. This place still seems to be finding its way, though. The music in the dining room was loud and seemed more like "happy hour" than dining background music, and the lights could be a little dimmer. It was also very loud inside when the main dining room filled up. If they had more heaters on the patio that would be the perfect place to be!Special Features:
- if they wanna survive andbiffVIPDined on 11/9/2012if they wanna survive and thrive, they need to work on their wait and serving staffs. it leaves much to be desired. also, they don't pour a very generous drink, which is important in building a bar business. noise is quite overwhelming but food is quite good.Special Features:
- Our second visit and we enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2012Our second visit and we enjoyed the food and ambiance. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Second visit. I want to lovexxxxVIPDined on 11/8/2012Second visit. I want to love this place but I don't. I like it because it's close to where I live and it has a beautiful view. The drinks are not expensive compared to other westside restaurants. We started with a fried oyster appetizer that was very good. I got a burger. I thought it was a little dry. I asked for it without the blue cheese mousse & they put cheddar cheese on it. The cheese wasn't even melted.It was 2 slices of cheese, side by side, just cut & dumped. No mustard or mayo or sauce. There was a seasoning like cayan on the burger. French fries are delicious. Hot & plentiful. My friend had the pork, it was ok. I would recommend this place because of it's proximity to the beach or just for apps and drinksSpecial Features:
- Love this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2012Went to Tower 42 last night with some friends. We had an amazing experience. We were greeted at the door by the Manager and hostess. Asked if were we would like to sit. We chose the bar as it was still happy hour. The bar was hopping and our server was excellent. We had a few small plates off the happy hour menu which were all excellent. The green beans are amazing! The Chef came out and asked to see how everything was, thought that was great. My friends and I will definitely be back again to try out some other dishes and some desserts. We were too full to try any but all looked so good. I highly recommend this place and what a great local place to come too, such a nice change for Playa Del Rey.Special Features:
- Meh. Service was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2012Meh. Service was a little over eager. Food was spare - with a $20 main protein you still needed to add a vegetable. Hopefully they last until it warms up again, the patio will be great.Special Features:
- Enjoying a new restaurant.YummyVIPDined on 10/19/2012Fun place to go to. It is new and it will get better as it goes along.Special Features:
- Really like the new look andKristine314Dined on 10/15/2012Really like the new look and the ambiance on the patio. We had a large group of 9 and despite a couple of hiccups (a couple burgers came out well done instead of medium rare but they fixed it right away), the experience was pleasant. I personally had the pan seared Florida snapper with cauliflower puree and it was fantastic. Checked out the Happy Hour menu in the bar and the food and drinks looked very good - we'll be back to try it.Special Features:
- The good news is that thisDewolfpVIPDined on 10/14/2012The good news is that this new neighborhood resturant is within walking distance from our home and the food/ambiance are OK; the bad news is that the place is a bit pricey and the portions small (comments I've heard repeatedly from others).For a resturant that purports to be a life-guard tower it's all a bit "fussy", it's a beach place after all and should more refect that.Special Features:
- for a new place still findingbiffVIPDined on 10/13/2012for a new place still finding its legs abit, it was generally pretty good. but you gotta like noise - in any of the rooms. my shrimp and grits were very good; the waitress tried hard but kinda overreached. and there are upscale amenities (your car waiting when you leave). we'll go back but perhaps not on a fri. or sat. nite.Special Features:
- It hasn't been open but 2OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/13/2012It hasn't been open but 2 weeks but already I'm loving it. It's a great, hip spot with a pretty interior and a nice place to grab a drink if you're looking for something other than the typical college, low key places already in PDR. Coming is music in the back room and a rooftop deck with an ocean view. Very exciting!Special Features:
- This was our third time sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2012This was our third time since the opening. Food is delicious with such a nice variety from small plates to nice entrees. The fried oysters and the crab cake are wonderful. My husband had the snapper that was perfectly cooked with flavors that were perfect together. I had the jidori chicken so tender and the plating is so beautiful. Playa del Rey has been waiting for a place like this. Very reasonably priced for the quality of food. And don't forget the sunsets on the patio. We will be going back again and again.Special Features:
- Was really excited to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/13/2012Was really excited to try the new restaurant in town! The food was good. I think they are still working out some kinks. Will def. try again. Very loud! Need some plants to stifle the noise level!Special Features:
- It is too new to really review.YummyVIPDined on 10/9/2012It is too new to really review. We will have to try it another time.Special Features:
- The interior is very brightxxxxVIPDined on 10/8/2012The interior is very bright and welcoming. There is a new patio with a view of the ocean. The Front Desk was a little disorganized but they are nice. The sauteed shrimp appetizer is very tasty and the shrimp are large. I had the miso glazed black cod. The fish was good, light and moist, but whatever was under the fish was very thick and not that enjoyable. The menu says it's a broth. My friend's salmon was perfectly cooked.Special Features: